Hints for fighting with poor mental reaction speed

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Hints for fighting with poor mental reaction speed

Postby Black Cat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:45 am

I have been having a serious problem with my mental reflexes being vastly inferior to most other fighters on the field. Even newer fighters who haven't been able to build muscle memory yet are mentally faster than me. I can swing a sword quickly, but reacting to an opponent's movements in time to put up any kind of real fight has proven impossible for me so far. If I use a weapon longer than 6 feet and keep a good distance from my opponent, I can stay in the fight for a lot longer, but even this isn't a true solution to my problem.

This problem is mostly mental and has little to do with my physical fitness level. This problem has severely affected my ability to learn any fighting techniques on the field and I am finding it very frustrating.

Does anyone know how to improve their mental reflexes and make a slow brain work faster? Or is this an ability someone has to already have and something that cannot be improved on?
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:26 am

Well, basic reflex training may help, since reflex actions rarely go all the way to the brain.

The only other thing I could think of is those games for Gameboys that are supposed to improve mental capacity but I dont know if they work.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Arrakis » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 am

Push yourself, continually. Go buy a bunch of FPS's and get good at those, go play other sports, and just watch other people fight. Figure out (or even, gasp, ask a good fighter!) how a good fighter can tell what an opponent is about to do. A lot of the game isn't mental speed, so much, as it is figuring people out before you would have to be mentally "fast".

That, and get a big honkin' strap shield and go spar/train with a vet till you learn defense. Then, most of the time, if things get out of hand, just rock back and block like a LEGO until you can regain control of the situation.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Vitus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:56 am

Are you male or female?
Sean A. Garrison
--------------------
Known in the Current Middle Ages as Sir Vitus von Atzinger, knight of the SCA and tenan of the Great House Stahlgeist.
Vitus
Underling
Underling

Postby Black Cat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:11 am

Vitus wrote:Are you male or female?

Male
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Brennon EH » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:06 am

It's common, and highly correctable. If you're like most people your reflexes are fine, but just not trained for the kind of thing you're doing.

I highly recommend Dance Dance Revolution.

No, seriously.

Stop laughing.

It will work on your footwork, hand, and eye coordination simultaneously. Turn it up as fast as you can go, and just push yourself.

Simon is another excellent reflex builder. It helps you mentally recognize and respond to patterns.

Finally, Block-Strike is the best thing you can do. Not only does it build reflexes and response time, but it actually helps with shot selection and blocking as well. The only caveat to that is you want to make sure and work on footwork drills with Block-Strike, since it has a tendancy to make people stick in place.

This sort of issue is easily correctable if you put some dedication into it.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:09 am

What all of these guys have said is true. You need to build muscle memory for defense too. The best way to do this is to play defense for a while. Find someone in your realm who will work with you on the sideline. Try starting at a casual pace and work your way up to full speed. A lot of people have told me I have great defense skills, for me a great deal of that is knowing before you do where you plan to hit me. No, this is not Orcish magic or ESP of any kind, I just predict where you are going to try to hit, by knowing what I am going to leave open when I throw my shot.

So here's how it works...if we are both Sword and board...

1. I throw a shot to your left (shield) arm.
2. Commonly, you shield block and counter with a high cross to my right (weapon) arm.
3. Since I know you are going to go for the hole, I am already on my way to blocking your high cross, before you throw it.

This does not always work, but commonly, a fighter will attack what is not defended. So as long as you are continually covering what you just left open, you will block a great portion of attacks against you.

I will only be there the last 4 days of Chaos, but if you would like some pointers, I would be more than happy to work with you on it.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby varadin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:10 pm

Brennon EH wrote:I highly recommend Dance Dance Revolution.

No, seriously.

Stop laughing.

agreed 100% I hated ddr for the longest time. im a big guy and i believe that video games should be sitting on your * and doing everything with your hands. I played DDR to score a chick and gained a lot of speed with just making quick reactions. Hell even a quick wrong reaction can be better than no reaction. Look into it.

Another thing to do is really watch people when they throw a shot. Notice the first hip movement and prepare for defense. It could be a feint it could be a shot be ready either way.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby deflagratio » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:14 pm

Here's something we did in my Fencing lessons back in the day. Basically your training partner throws various shots at you. The major thing is that the trainer heavily broadcasts each shot. he should position himself so you can tell easily where the shot will go. He should hold for about a second and then throw the shot. You block and counterattack. Keep doing with with both advancing and retreating footwork. The training partner should very slowly decrease the length of the pauses.
Remember that this is a training exercise not a game. The person throwing the shots should be doing it only so you will learn. This will help you get used to basic shots being thrown and the positions they will be thrown from.
No for some modifications to this drill. To begin with start off with a small selection of shots for the person to throw. About 2 or 3. Slowly work up to more and more shots. Also you can add disengages. Just transfer to another position and with a shorter pause throw the shot. This drill also makes a good partner warm up if you swap back and forth. It really helps to get you thinking about how to block. One last note is to remember to change your response up a bit. If you respond to one type of attack with the same counter attack everytime an observant opponent will use it against you.
I recommend I33 and Lichtenaur
deflagratio
Recruit
Recruit

Postby tvetree » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:39 pm

To get faster,train slower.

Really,Do very slow work with a fighter of the same or greater skill than you.Take time to stop look and see where you are open,look to see where He/she is open.Learn How to hit that target from where you are right then.If you get it while going slow when you speed up it will be there if you have to learn it at full speed you may never see the openings or learn how you became open.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Re: Hints for fighting with poor mental reaction speed

Postby Sir Guts » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:44 pm

Get drunk, fuc*ed up or whatever u do at events and duel. React to their attacks and dont be aggressive, DRunken monkey and crouching chronic turtle are two of the most powerful styles out there. And rock that pimp hand. Slap a lil leather on those knuckles when u do.
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby bo1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:50 pm

guts, what the heck is wrong with you? don't listen to guts, he is kinda special, like corky special.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Shred » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:40 am

Cocaine.
Brom.
Shred
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 28 Jun 2006
Realm: Babylon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword...And board

Postby Ralimar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:38 am

If you live in Kentucky, you are not allowed to have a Stone Brewery avatar.

(Arrogant * rule.)
Ralimar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2099

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:41 pm

I have a few thoughts.

One is to get a good sense of how others will react to your moves. That is, you need to learn what the natural response is to each technique, and then incorporate your expectations into your plan of attack. This is the way that you will be able to take control of a fight--once you have a firm enough grip on the situation, you can throw a series of shots on offense without worrying about reacting defensively, because you will already have a defensive plan to go along with your offense.

But no opponent will fight exactly the same as the other. If things aren't going your way, just step back out of range and re-evaluate the situation. Try a different attack sequence, then step back. Keep control of the fight as long as you can, and when you don't have control, get out of the fight.

I'll post some more thoughts later.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Satanaka » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am

Male?

ok- there are some good sugestions above as well as some not so good.
The slow practice at hoem- no oponent- like bag work.
I'd strongly suggest just some basic repetition... over and over and over and over and over and over and over...
The secret is to train the movements- till they become natural and react almost of their own.

Grand Master Hironori Otsuka, the founder of Wado Karate was once asked by one of the students that had been trainning for 3 year: "Sensei, why do we keep practicing the low block every night for the last 3 years- I think I have it down by now."
He was basicly told: "Interesting. I have been practicing the low block sine I was 5 years old. I have not "mastered" it yet."
The student got the message

Black Cat wrote:Does anyone know how to improve their mental reflexes and make a slow brain work faster? Or is this an ability someone has to already have and something that cannot be improved on?

Male
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:25 pm

I totally thought the master reply was gonna be the sucker punch the student and tell him to keep practicing.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Titan G » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:36 am

its a totally divergent tactic from what most of the other folks hav said and i totally agree with what was said by them but if you don't have any luck with there methods alot of what you can do it is make up for weakness in one area with great strength in another. i also have a really bad mental game as far as fighting and tactics go i attempt to make up for this by have much much faster hands than most of those i fight. it wont work on expierenced players but with about 90% of fighters out there if you out speed them then you win. i went about it by fighting with the heaviest longest blue i could find and a tower punch for my first year and a half/ two years fighting and then i have a piece of PVC filled with pennies at home that i would just casually swing while watching TV or something. now ive moved to a flail and a medium punch but i brought the speed those first few years fighting like that taught me so im much faster on my shield work and my shots than alot of folks.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Arrakis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:59 pm

graavish1 wrote:its a totally divergent tactic from what most of the other folks hav said and i totally agree with what was said by them but if you don't have any luck with there methods alot of what you can do it is make up for weakness in one area with great strength in another.

I stopped reading your post before I finished this... construction. I hesitate to call it a sentence since the only trait it seems to share with what is commonly known as a sentence is that it ends with a period.

Take your time and write an intelligible post and people will be more inclined to read, comprehend, and reply to what you write.
Arrakis

Postby Titan G » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 am

arrakis please understand this is an internet community and yes my grammer is not even close to anything someone with a basic understanding of english would have but since grammer was not the subject of the post please let the post stand alone on the merits of what is said not how it is said
ABF
Smile! It's Graavish!
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Davit » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:17 pm

In a nicer format than how arrakis said it:

In short yes it does matter how you say something because you can be misunderstood. I have my wife look at my posts all the time before I post something because she is better at grammar than I am. Ask someone to edit something if you are having a problem with grammar, it takes 2 seconds. It also shows that you are taking the time to be understood, and it will make people more likely to respond in a favorable manner.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Dane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm a grammar nazi.

Although Graavish's post was a structural atrocity, I understood him quite well. I, being an English major, understand the importance of structuring the written word, but it only needs to be criticized in discussion when it's not comprehendable.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Arrakis » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:53 pm

I apologize for my shortness in my preceding post.

Carry on.
Arrakis

Postby Dabbanoth » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:39 pm

graavish1 wrote:arrakis please understand this is an internet community and yes my grammer is not even close to anything someone with a basic understanding of english would have but since grammer was not the subject of the post please let the post stand alone on the merits of what is said not how it is said

Cant be Graavish.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Titan G » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:34 am

its me dag
ABF
Smile! It's Graavish!
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training