dagger fighting

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

dagger fighting

Postby hostile vectis » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:39 pm

how does one go about dagger fighting? how do you get close enough to strike?
hostile vectis
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2008
Unit: daratrix
Favorite Fighting Styles: single sword

Re: dagger fighting

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:44 pm

Punch block a lot.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Are you talking about fighting with a dagger against fully armed opponents or just a one on one shiv fest? If the former, I would start by praying for divine intervention, or quietly stab people in the backs. You won't make friends this way.

In a one on one situation where both people have knives, I would really recommend you take a self defense course with a focus on knife fighting. A lot of dagger duels I see are sloppy (naturally) because generally, if you can stab them, they can very likely stab you back. Footwork and stance are absolutely essential. If you're really serious about it, try putting a stiff quillon (cross guard) and learn how to grapple and lock out your opponent.

But I would say, don't bother. Dagger fighting is dangerous, not really worth the payoff, and extremely difficult to win with in any situation. If you insist, take a class where you can learn how to knife fight first hand since there's a lot of subtlety (and a lot more brutality) in knifing someone effectively.

I'm going to assume that your knife is a blue and (ideally) green weapon, and not just the stabbing only prison shivs that I see. Those seem almost completely worthless.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Giggles, I actually like the green-onlys for one purpose only: Main-Gauche. They make a sick off-hand for certain Florentine styles. Otherwise, yeah, blue-green dags ftw. Stupid minimum padded length rule, makin' mah daggers really long. Though, really, a 20" dagger was pretty standard back in the day.

Why am I commenting on this thread?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Hatchet » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:05 am

Some tips for dagger fighting if fighting one on one dagger vs dagger... it may look cool and epic to have the reverse grip [dagger point is out from body instead of in] but; it's totally ineffective. The main grip is always best.

Also imitate counter strike one of the hardest strikes to block a dagger is the straight forward toward the body stab.

Against slower opponents sacrificing the arm get in a body shot is efficient.

Grappling can also sometimes be effective in these fights. when you have control of your opponents weapon you can choose to end the fight at any time you want.

Also try to be the first one to go on the offensive as the dagger is a hard weapon to parry and block with.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Turin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:03 am

I actually use dagger fighting as a way to train. IMO, the only way to actually be effective with a dagger is to be aggressive & unafraid of the other person's weapon (no matter what it may be). So if I've been getting killed from sitting back, too much, I'll pick up a dagger & try mix it up.
Also, grappling is almost certainly an essential part of dagger fighting (particularly with dagger vs. dagger). Stepping in & grabbing your opponents weapon arm with your off hand is at least a constant thought. Knowing joint-friendly restraints & safe take-downs is really helpful.
Oh, to be sure, you'll die a lot. A lot. But it makes getting those kills on a shield man so much more satisfying. Have fun, stay safe.
Turin of Dunharrow
Squire to Sir Satanaka
Satanaka-sama no Gokenin
Turin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2004
Realm: None

Postby merc4hire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Interesting, you guys are really discovering some angles in dagger fighting.
In my FMA class, we do quite a bit of dagger drills. Trapping, disarms, all that stuff. Both with reverse grip and normal grip.
Reverse grip can work great, but you have to know how to do it right. Otherwise, it's much easier to stick with normal grip.

But dagger fighting is really tough though. Imagine if they were real... :spear:
merc4hire
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Apr 2008
Realm: I have no realm.
Unit: Anush
Favorite Fighting Styles: Filipino Martial Arts! Yeayu.

Postby Hatchet » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:12 am

If it where real I would say * the dagger and go for either a Khukri or a .45 =/
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:35 am

Real life knife fighting is a dirty, horribnle confrontation that can end with both fighters loosing blood, and possibly dying very easily. The best thing you can do in a knife fight is run, the next best thing is to find an equalizer (another knife, a club, a chair, barstool, book, anything! Lastly you fight.

Do not think that even for a minute you can block that knife, then make a counter. You will likely get cut apart. The Best thing is to "defang the snake" while still at the longest possible range. This is the range where your opponent cannot hit your body with his blade, but you can still strike at the weapon arm. Practice striking or cutting that arm, while still at a "safe" range". If you want to know about real life knife tactics, check out Paul Vanuk on youtube, he does know what he's doing.

my 2 coppers.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Turin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 am

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mk-EVLyIpts&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mk-EVLyIpts&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Turin of Dunharrow
Squire to Sir Satanaka
Satanaka-sama no Gokenin
Turin
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2004
Realm: None

Postby merc4hire » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Good stuff.
merc4hire
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Apr 2008
Realm: I have no realm.
Unit: Anush
Favorite Fighting Styles: Filipino Martial Arts! Yeayu.

Postby Hatchet » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:25 pm

Yep, dagger fights are messy and on the note of throwing up you tube videos

Bas Rutten will own your face!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3K-mrlYG7Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3K-mrlYG7Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Kyrian » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Sorcia said she had read about a training method for being in a knife fight: Have your partner use a Sharpie marker to try and mark you. Any place you have a mark is either a potential stab or slash.

I recall hearing something about knife fights that one person goes to the morgue and the other one goes to the hospital and then the morgue.

When fighting with daggers, I tend to use the block-check-counter. Basically, I use my dagger to intercept, redirect, or deflect my opponent's dagger, then use my other hand (known as the "alive" hand in Escrima) to check, push, or grapple my opponent's weapon arm, and then follow up with another shot.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Aegis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:39 pm

note: while martial arts will teach you to grab and break their wrist to loose the weapon, a twist by them as they are losing it will still cut you. I can show you the scar on my forearm from a Hero move at a bar....

in our system where you cant slash really, im a huge fan of sliding past the dagger and catching or deflecting their arm with my offhand, while I stab whatever I can reach be it their weapon arm or their chest.

great practice for this is having a friend use a dagger and you just have 2 empty hands, as they stab dance back or side and grab their arm and steal the weapon, then stab em with it...good fun
Aegis
Warrior
Warrior

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training