Formal Training?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Formal Training?

Postby merc4hire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Hey there, I was wondering how many of you guys have formal training in weapons. Like, actual classes or systems and such.

I train in Filipino Martial Arts currently. We use pretty much any weapon that's out there more or less, but in our class we focus on daggers and short swords/stick. We also do lots of sparring.

I fought with a local unit of Belegarth once, and I plan on joining them this fall. I'll tell you, my training served me well when I fought with them.

The greatest part about FMA is that is covers pretty much what you guys are doing, and that is creating a more realistic scenario and image of combat. Anything goes. Everything, range, angles, footwook, adaptation to whatever weapon or situation, speed, all of that is covered in our training. It's not stuck in a ridgid system or set rules or movements, it flows.

But anyways. Do any of you have any prior training? Or is Belegarth it?

I can't wait to join, Belegarth is going to be awesome! :D
merc4hire
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Apr 2008
Realm: I have no realm.
Unit: Anush
Favorite Fighting Styles: Filipino Martial Arts! Yeayu.

Re: Formal Training?

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:01 pm

Very few Belegrim I've met have any kind of training. Although a lot agree that if you were gonna train in a martial art FMA would be it, when an emphasis on Eskerma (sp) stick combat.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby merc4hire » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Really? That's too bad. But I guess it's better that way, wouldn't want too many people arguing over who's system's better or what not.

But fo sho, I definately recommend FMA. It gives you so many applicable skills in Belegarth.
merc4hire
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Fangesta » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:18 pm

I used to do Kung-fu..that was ages ago..although the training does stay with you, the coordination runs away fast cackling evily in your face if you don't keep up training. I intend on some fencing classes once I can walk again. :pirate:
Say it...Say it....HARRRRR
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: Highest bidder--PIRATE
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery
Florentine
Short sword

Postby Hatchet » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:19 am

I have had formal training in Karate and some Boxing. *shrug* Boxing only useful with the constantly moving on your feet stuff. Karate has givin' me some uses in single blue fighting. otherwise *shrug*
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 am

I have studied primarily, American Kenpo (parker style), some Kali/Escrima, and a bit of Shao Lin weapons forms. The best thing trad. MA give a fighter is solid footwork and a stable stance to fight from. FMA are great because no matter the weapon, sword, flail, etc, we use them like a club (no slashing) so stick styles seem to complement the Dag/Bele type of fighting.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Satanaka » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 am

Hmmmm.... Odd- one of the best fighters in the game had lots of Boxing experience... Wonder why his trainning served him SO well? Then- those that have had martail arts training and how it served them?

Hand eye cordination, speed, power, balance, breathing, awareness, control, technique, stamina, footwork, stances, using body, distance, sidesteps, strategy, finnese???

JUST to mention a few that pop into my mind.
And you got nothing? :devil:
Back to 'wax on & wax off'- 'paint fence'. :D

(The Boxer that I gave referance to was: Sir Ivan Daqrkspear)

Hatchet Warrior wrote:I have had formal training in Karate and some Boxing. *shrug* Boxing only useful with the constantly moving on your feet stuff. Karate has givin' me some uses in single blue fighting. otherwise *shrug*
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Hatchet » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Hand eye cordination, speed, power, balance, breathing, awareness, control, technique, stamina, footwork, stances, using body, distance, sidesteps, strategy, finnese???

Yea, but; it's not like you need any formal training to gain those things. Sure it helped in those but; does it make me a better stick swinger.. no. I just thought of something though, boxing may help punch shield work?
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby merc4hire » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:24 pm

You'd be surprised how much formal training helps with all those things. It teaches you how to move, and strike cleanly with little wasted movement.

While box may not be the most directly applicable thing to Belegarth, there are certainly some skills that can be drawn from it. Foot work, timing and such.
But yeah, I highly recommend formal training, (FMA is good) because you'll end up picking up basic concepts of combat really fast.
merc4hire
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mercer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:11 pm

If you can build yourself a good, durable stabbing-tip sword, fencing is actually a very useful skill to train in the this sport. Few people bother with stabs (other than the obvious spearmen), and as a result, most people don't learn to defend against them. I had done fencing before starting foamfighting, and it let me do better than your average newbie, in kills at least.

Of course, awareness, footwork, and the rest would have to be separately developed, but the edge in weapon handling is nice.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Satanaka » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:38 pm

????
I don't think the referance was that "we all NEED formal training"- but if any had. I'd have to disagree that formal trainning does NOT help develop those things. As well as disagree that it does NOT make you a better stick swinger.

A few people do have a natural talent in these skills and areas- BUT- most people do NOT just walk on the Belegarth field and have great skill. The people that HAVE had some formal trainning do have an advantage in some ways (a few disadvantages on a few others).

The typical person that is NOT an athletic type- are few and far betwenn that step on the field and 'waffle-stomp' people. :devil: (disclaimer- word is NOT mine- but some friends- just thought it fit)

I can not seem to find a way that formal trainning would NOT help you when it came to Belegarth fighting.

Satanaka

Hatchet Warrior wrote:Yea, but; it's not like you need any formal training to gain those things. Sure it helped in those but; does it make me a better stick swinger.. no. I just thought of something though, boxing may help punch shield work?
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Dane » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:04 pm

I've a friend that plays that tends to duck his head as he closes with fighters; it's a reaction he has from years of Jujitsu, where he was taught to lower his head as he moved into opponents (protecting the face and such).

That's the only case I've seen formal combat training not pay off. I can't see how the footwork, posture, and hand-speed developed from other combat sports wouldn't pay off.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Hatchet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 am

'waffle-stomp' people.

Thank you Satanka, you just made me laugh out loud in real life scaring my dog..

*Shrug*
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Fangesta » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 am

[quote="Dane"]I've a friend that plays that tends to duck his head as he closes with fighters; it's a reaction he has from years of Jujitsu, where he was taught to lower his head as he moved into opponents (protecting the face and such).
quote]

One of our members of our Unit just did this our last practice. Was sent home with quite the knot on his forhead. He saw a gigantor foot coming to shield-kick him and training taught him that kick was meant for his head and upper body. So he curled up behind the shield and got bashed in the head. That was the end of practice for him and today's practice will result in explaining why that happened to him.

Good reaction, bad place to use it.
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Florentine
Short sword

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:19 pm

I havn't encountered the head dropping thing, but I studied Kenpo, and we stand up to fight :) I did notice that when I first started, though MA traing had given me good body coodination and balance on my feet, I had a tendancy to get tunnel vision. I would become focused on the fighter in front of me, leaving myself very open to the backstab. This came from the sparring training that I had for tournament sparring, one v. one. It took me a long time to break that habit and get some field awareness, even now I have to catch myself focusing on one guy too much.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Fangesta » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:06 pm

One of the things I do to force the field awarness is I'll stand back and just shoot everyone with my arrows. They know I'm there and that's what I'm going to do. If I shoot them I get the "aww ****!" and they die knowing they weren't watching for everyone. Also makes them stay aware of sneaky archers hehe.

:pirate:
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Florentine
Short sword

Postby Satanaka » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:25 pm

I have to give the credit to others- I have heard them say it for a few years now- and it seemed like a good place to use it. :devil:
I got it from the people in 'Ameth'.

Hatchet Warrior wrote:'waffle-stomp' people.

Thank you Satanka, you just made me laugh out loud in real life scaring my dog..

*Shrug*
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:35 am

I think experience in any sport will help you in this one. Those that I think are especially relevant would be soccer, rugby, fencing, boxing, wrestling, football--pretty much anything, actually.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Roland Demox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Honestly MMA and wrestling were my only "combat ports" full contact I had football...When I was came into this sport I was able to jump forward a couple times because I learned something that one of these sports had taught me. Ie. not being afraid to be hit, using my body weight/size, and laying the smackdown ;-)
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Aegis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:26 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:I havn't encountered the head dropping thing, but I studied Kenpo, and we stand up to fight :) I did notice that when I first started, though MA traing had given me good body coodination and balance on my feet, I had a tendancy to get tunnel vision. I would become focused on the fighter in front of me, leaving myself very open to the backstab. This came from the sparring training that I had for tournament sparring, one v. one. It took me a long time to break that habit and get some field awareness, even now I have to catch myself focusing on one guy too much.

hah, I have the same martial arts tunnel vision...sigh.
Aegis
Warrior
Warrior

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training