Three tiers of development

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Three tiers of development

Postby Physic » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:21 pm

This was copied from the Legio Draconis boards and written by Sir Tristan of the SCA.

I had an interesting discussion recently with a local fighter who is going through something that many fighters do, and wanted to discuss it here to help others who might be experiencing the same thing. It is a plateau, of sorts.

He asked me how he was doing since he's been working fairly hard on improving his footwork, range control, and timing over the past year or two. He has been fighting for about 15 years. I told him that I saw remarkable improvement in every area he was working on. Then came his response.

He said that he was very disappointed because he didn't *feel* any better than he was before. He said he still struggled in tournaments and hadn't noticed his win percentage increase. As background, he fights in some tournaments but is not a tourney hound, and favors practices. He went on to explain that the knights he fights still beat him with the same frequency and he asked if they (myself included) step up their game.

From my perspective, he is caught in a mental trap which is easy to fall into. We sometimes think that skill must have a victorious feeling attached to it. In reality, it doesn't. Even the most skilled fighters deal with failure. Failure doesn't leave you with a victorious feeling. Even the feeling of exhilaration when you overcome a bad habit or issue fades quickly when the next obstacle presents itself.

For those who are caught up in pursuing that elusive 'ass-kicker' high, it really isn't out there. Those who enjoy that do so in their own mind only. They get beat with the same regularity that everyone else does, they just choose their own fantasy world of invincibility instead of facing the reality that they make mistakes and get beaten.

If you find you are chasing the feeling, let go of that in your mind. Focus on honing your skills and remain objective about what you are doing and the progress you are making. You will be able to see your targeting, balance, control of range, etc. improve without having to use win/loss percentages to measure. If you want your W/L percentage to go up, just fight newer people. It is obvious what folly that would be.

Fighting has three stratas which a warrior must pass through to mastery:
1) The physical. Like learning the alphabet, these are the basic building blocks of fighting. They are the basic movements (shots and blocking) and elements of timing, range and balance. The physical is about you and what you are doing.
2) The mental. You move from the alphabet to the words and their meanings. When you have the basics to the point where you don't have to consciously think of them and your body does them automatically, you start exploring the mental aspect. Until that happens, the mental side can seem a mystery. The mental fight takes into account tactics, combinations, more advanced maneuvering, rhythm, positioning and perception of your opponent and his intent. The mental is about what your opponent is doing.
3) The spiritual. This plane is very difficult to cross into and few fighters do. Using the language analogy, it is complex conversation. Like the previous planes, you have to leave the previous (mental) behind to cross to the spiritual. It is where you understand all that is around both you and your opponent and act without thought, each time appropriately. By the time you arrive at this plane, you've left the details of the physical and mental behind. The spiritual is about what you and your opponent do together, how you interact and guiding that interaction.

You cannot rush forward with this progression, it must happen in it's own time. You can only train, and continue to train, and train further.

In the case of man I was talking to, I believe he is caught at the natural point of progression going from the physical to the mental. He cannot let go of his intense focus on the physical aspects of fighting which is the plateau he sits on. The solution is to change his mind. Changing how you look at something is how plateaus are overcome. Fighting isn't a physical art, it is more than that.

A young man comes to the sword master, eager to learn the way of the sword. He asks "Master, how long will it take for me to master swordsmanship?"

The master responds "Ten years."

The impatient youth asks further "What if I study hard every day, morning until night, devoting all my attention to my skills. How long would it take then?"

The master responds "Twenty years."

Why would the master respond as such?
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Re: Three tiers of development

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:08 pm

Maybe because being a good fighter is about more than just repetition of technique, and endless repetition is not as effective as part-time repetition and part-time meditation/drinking beer while watching football.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Crynolyn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Excellent article ! Thanks for posting it here. What Kingdom is Sir Tristan from ?
Crynolyn
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Oct 1999
Realm: Geek Fight Club
Unit: Dark Angels

Postby Winfang » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:47 pm

He's from the Middle.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Bhakdar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Certainly the more you focus on 'problem' or 'challenge' the more you will get. I love it. Thank you for posting this insightful brief on development.

Give it up ya'll. Mastering swordsmanship in Belegarth is ****. We all still die. If you're lucky you'll learn to enjoy it. Bringing back good deaths is probably something almost all veterans need work on.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:21 pm

You ar both right and wrong Bhakdar, at least in my opinion. Though mastering Belegarth fighting is ****, and you will still die, when faced with a simular situation in real life, you may have the skills you need to survive. I strive to be a better fighter, because one should always strive for perfection, knowing full well that it is impossible to attain.

That said, I agree that we should stive to bring back the good death! It is the intention of every Orc, or at least every western and old DD orc, to die in battle, every time. If you do live, you are either really good or really lucky, and that's likely to change next battle. So die well, and die often, you'll actually learn more that way.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Yo, good deaths are so much fun. I really love doing huge, car-crash-explosion backflip deaths. If I'm going to die anyway, I may as well have a good time doing it, right? Giving marshals the occasional authority to grant instant resurrections to fighters who die well would be, I think, a good idea in this game.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:34 pm

I tend to "splatter" a lot when I die... Like, end up with gear 30 feet away in opposite directions and slide for 20 feet in the direction I was running at the time of death.

It's heck of fun.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Bhakdar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:48 pm

You raise a good point about perfection, SooMa, and its one I've wavered on a lot in my past couple years. Mastery is certainly the journey and not the destination of never dying or being defeated. Part of splattering language about as I did is just one facet of getting that point of letting go of the attachment to perfection across. You did that in a much more positive and forward tone. Thank you. :wizzard:
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:00 pm

MagnusofDregoth wrote:Yo, good deaths are so much fun. I really love doing huge, car-crash-explosion backflip deaths. If I'm going to die anyway, I may as well have a good time doing it, right?
The look you get when you give a good death is priceless. :eek: Plus, while the enemy is watching you in your final dramatic death throes, your buddies can stab 'im in the back. :goblin:

Not to bring this thread any more off-topic or anything...
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training