What's wrong with Quarterstaffs?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

What's wrong with Quarterstaffs?

Postby Kirethorn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:56 am

Judging from the general consensus of all the posts I've read since joining this forum I've come to the conclusion that the quarterstaff is regarded as the most useless weapon in belegarth (don't ask for quotes). Why is that?
I've taken into account the massive amount of padding required on each end of the weapon, but I still can't see a down side. It seems like the perfect beginners weapon.
Gone to greener meadows.
Kirethorn
Monkey
Monkey

Re: What's wrong with Quarterstaffs?

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:20 am

I know this my not sound all that viable to you, but I have had a staff in my realm, and i will tell you this. All I have to do is push my shield into your staff and it becomes nearly useless while I wail on you with my blue sword. Now a real staff you can move your hands around on to change your range of attack, but the way these must be built you are restricted to a range of a short sword. It's not that the staff is not an effective weapon. It's just not effective in our game.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Derian » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:21 am

Primarily because it's a two handed weapon that doesn't deal red damage.

You also don't have as much offensive power as florentine, and almost no defensive abilities.

They sacrifice too much for too little benefit.

Edit: Also, they get a bad rap because a ton of new people always want to build them and think they'll be able to rule the field with them.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Arrakis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:22 am

What Derian said.

You can do some very interesting things with a staff, especially if you're an aggressive, body-forward fighter (shield kicks and body checks are essential to proper quarterstaff form!), but staff is much harder to learn than sword and board and much less effective in general for quite a long period of time before you really get decent.

I should make myself another staff soon to practice with up here...
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Slagar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:36 am

What Derian said again.

Basically, it's like picking up a red sword, and then never breaking shields. You can only block for so long, you can't get around shields, you can't block arrows, and it takes very little skill to pin it to your chest and bludgeon you.

That being said, I have seen some people pick them up and make them work, to a point. Simply put, if you're good enough, you can walk the field no matter what you're holding. I've seen people walk around single blue, and put down fighters using whatever (coughPetertheQuickcough). It's just that none of those guys (you know who you are) has ever decided to apply that to staff, and all the beginners who try it out get beat on until they switch over to sword and shield or florentine. Someday I'm going to glue one into Soth's hands, and make him show me how to use it right.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:19 pm

I have to disagree with Slagar and Arakis. Staff's are totally useless in Bel no matter how skilled you are. For the reasons Soo and Derian mentioned. Limited attack range and limmited ways to hold it.
In real life, where you can hit people i the face, it's a little different. If those people are also armed with crappy stick weapons and not wearinf helmets(like other farmers), your fammer *(who else uses staffs?) can **** rule.
But when you're fighting people in helmets with sheilds, staff will nearly always loose. You need to either get the drop on the other guy or cheat to win.
You shoudl make ten of them, Aussie, for you're backyard nonsense.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Titan G » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:54 pm

also a great number of quarterstaff/bo staff combat forms are heavy on head strikes

bele= no head shots

bug crippler

and alot of the hate you see comes from what derian said about new people. most of the time we see people interested in staves there A) very new B) vastly over blown in their estimation of their own abilities
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:33 pm

The normal method someone attacks with a quarter staff would be to hold both hands in front of them and push one forward. You get about a 30 degree angle at the point of contact with a shield.

This means that a shield that is usually 2" thick is now 4" wider due to your angle of strike.

Now, a blue sword can get behind a shield, it's called a wrap shot.

If you could wrap with a staff, it would be awesome, instead they are large, akward and clumsy.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Jeggrim » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:57 pm

Kirethorn wrote:Judging from the general consensus of all the posts I've read since joining this forum I've come to the conclusion that the quarterstaff is regarded as the most useless weapon in belegarth (don't ask for quotes). Why is that?
I've taken into account the massive amount of padding required on each end of the weapon, but I still can't see a down side. It seems like the perfect beginners weapon.

God dammit you are the **** king of the noobs! Almost every thing you have posted thus far on the boards of a game YOU DON'T PLAY is asinine! Seriously, why in the hell are you still posting here? You don't **** play. You pretty much said you'd never play. In fact, all you've done is * about our game (i.e. our weapons flex too much, they're too light, its expensive, not hardcore, armors too restrictive, staffs rule) I mean really GTFO!

Oh and I bolded that part for you so you can almost answer your own question... You know why you don't see a downside? YOU DONT **** PLAY! Its hard to "see" the downside when you've NEVER SEE US FIGHT. Stop. Please. Just **** stop.

--Jegg
Overlord of the Shattered Lands
Chieftain---Bloody Eye Boyz
White Skull
Deciple of Gruumsh
Jeggrim
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: Shattered Lands
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red, Sword and Board

Postby Black Cat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 pm

There is a reason we don't fight with quarterstaves as weapons and they rarely, if ever, get built by veteran fighters.

Shields.

Shields are a staple of our game. The only thing in Belegarth more common than a shield is a blue sword.

Do you know how hard it is to get a large weapon around a shield, especially when you have to grip said weapon in the center and cannot deal red hits with it?

On the "you cannot wrap-shot with a q-staff" note, I can actually think of a way to wrap-shot around someone's shield with a quarterstaff, but the move I have in mind will leave your back and right side wide open and facing your opponent, as well as leave you highly vulnerable to getting your weapon pinned. Overall, quarterstaves are novelty weapons that are quite useless against any competent sword-and-boarder, no matter how skilled you are. I have yet to see any battles in-person or in footage that prove otherwise.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Unit: Untamed

Postby Aslaug » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37 pm

This came up a while ago and someone mentioned having the handle off center. Put only the minimum striking surface on one end, then the handle, then a substantially larger striking surface on the other side-. It would be held more like a spear or glaive, but still have the ability to do a pommel side strike when necessary.
When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD!
Aslaug
Scout
Scout

Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Barbarian Nation
Favorite Fighting Styles: Anything big and heavy.

Postby Roland Demox » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:09 am

Jeggrim wrote:
Kirethorn wrote:Judging from the general consensus of all the posts I've read since joining this forum I've come to the conclusion that the quarterstaff is regarded as the most useless weapon in belegarth (don't ask for quotes). Why is that?

God dammit you are the **** king of the noobs! Almost every thing you have posted thus far on the boards of a game YOU DON'T PLAY is asinine! Seriously, why in the hell are you still posting here? You don't **** play. You pretty much said you'd never play. In fact, all you've done is * about our game (i.e. our weapons flex too much, they're too light, its expensive, not hardcore, armors too restrictive, staffs rule) I mean really GTFO!

Oh and I bolded that part for you so you can almost answer your own question... You know why you don't see a downside? YOU DONT **** PLAY! Its hard to "see" the downside when you've NEVER SEE US FIGHT. Stop. Please. Just **** stop.

--Jegg

Easy Jeggrim, calm down its ok, go do some Tai Chi....oom fraba, oom fraba
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Physic » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:13 am

Jeggrim wrote:

--Jegg

One of the main reasons I hate the internet is that I cant tell you to your face how much of a douche bag you are. GROW UP. There is never any reason to act like this toward any person on these boards.

Who cares if this guy doesnt want to play our game. How the hell do you think Belegarth got started in the first place. Some dork decided one day to he wanted to hit people with foam weapons. If this guy listened to butt plugs like you none of the games in existence would be around.

You are showing complete disrespect toward our game to someone that is asking a simple question. I would take a noob that is willing to try there own thing any day of the week over someone like you.

Belegarth is based on honor and respect. Take what you have learned on the field and apply it to how you treat visitors on this forum.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Winfang » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 am

Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Jeggrim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Listen, I'm not trying to be a *. I love new people. We were all new once, and all had the same dumb questions, and did the same dumb mistakes. This guy is different. I'll leave it at that.

To all the rest of you.

I apologize for my reaction. It makes us all look bad. In my head I was being stern, in reality I was being a HUGE jerk. I am seriously sorry. You are all my family, and I mean that. I love you all, and I understand why that post may have offended some of you.

Thank you for pointing out my own failing. I will work to repair them.

And Kirethron: If you are TRULY interested in playing Belegarth now, and you're over your thinking of it being not hardcore enough, than go for it. I'd even support you and give your real advice.

Once again, Jeggrim is da sorry orc.

--Jegg
White Skull
Deciple of Gruumsh
Jeggrim
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 pm

OOO.
You is da sorry Orc.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kirethorn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Winfang wrote:Image

I hear you.

That's pretty much answered my question about why a quarterstaff is so bad in belegarth. Sorry for sparking off another round of Belegarth post boxing (Bele-boxing?). Thanks all that posted.

Kirethorn
Gone to greener meadows.
Kirethorn
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Kageshiro » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:30 am

Not to take away from the fun that everyone seems to be having, but just wanted to add my 2 cts. on quarterstaves. . .

They primarily don't work because of the shield / range ideas mentioned earlier. Another reason they don't work is that, with any weapon that is held with two hands fairly far apart, is that strikes require much more body movement, particularly in the shoulders, than does a weapon that is held with one hand (or two hands together). This body movement makes defence a ton more difficult.

----------

Sir Kage
Kageshiro
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1997
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain

Postby Mouken » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:09 pm

Rifter is pretty good with the quarter staff, but when I tried it out I didn't like it because of the limited gripping area. I usually don't have problems with pole arm weapons due to my gangletardness, but pole weapons can tire my shoulders what good some days.
"May your mettle chip and shatter"
Mouken
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Akkadians
Favorite Fighting Styles: Honorable

Postby Sleeper » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:17 am

After reading alot about q-staffs and asking people who know them, I've come to this conclusion (this has been said this before), a real war Q-staff would do more damage to shields and armour than even the largest two handed swords, aka as redswords. Why? Because some had solid metal clubs fitted at one or both ends of a q-staff, making even 1600 century plate armour vunerable to damage from said staff. Though not all q-staffs had this, they did exist, which is why, IMHO, the q-staff should be upgraded and allowed shield breaking hits. This will never happen but still.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Re: What's wrong with Quarterstaffs (sic)?

Postby Arrakis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:29 am

Sleeper, what's up!?!?! How's the Dur-D Sout?

Also, where'd you get this info about metal quarterstaves? Most period quarterstaves I know of were like 9 feet long. A 1" mild steel staff that long would weigh 25#!

I've heard of shoeing your staff in metal, to better crack skulls (the staff was, if I recall my George Silver correctly, primarily a civilian implement, especially a defensive weapon). Silver did regard the quarterstaff as superior to the longstaff and even the sword as a civilian defense implement, but I don't believe he wrote as to its effectiveness in warfare.

That said, the Goedendag is * near a quarterstaff with a long metal spike on one end and was apparently used en masse by infantry to unhorse knights and gendarmes and such, rattle them around good an' hard inside their armor, and then stab them to death. Truthfully, I'd probably represent that by making a 4'6" barrel mace, though.
Arrakis

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am

Yeah, sleeper, that's crap. I don't know where you heard it, but it's bs.
Quarterstaff is a farmer weapon. The are only serious weapons when either
A)everyone is equally(poorly) armed.
B)You're fighting someone whos retarded.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sleeper » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:15 pm

FB, be quite son. Just read up on 'em. And its not the entire shaft that's metal, just the ends of the qstaff that were capped with metal. I could provide some links if you wish. Arrakis, Dur D misses ya, you should come back and show us your mad skillz again, lol. Seriously though, I think I can thwart your stabbing tips!
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Be careful who you call son, son.
The end cap used on a staff would not hurt anyone in plate armor or heavy leather. It probly wouldn't hurt anyone in chain who was wearing it properly padded. It would crack the skull of anyone not wearing a helmet.
A bit of wood with a metalcap is NOTHING like a two handed sword.
Your thinking here is flawed, though I can see where your getting the idea.
Your just wrong. Don't spread bad information just because it sounds good to you.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kirethorn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:54 pm

This mace ended staff sounds like a double-mace weapon that I saw being used on the game neverwinter nights. If this is the same weapon, grow up and don't try to pass fantasy off as fact. If it isn't, then it would have been very difficult to wield (heavy weights on either end), would suffer the problems listed above (because it's got hitting implements taking up the staff), would be almost impossible to block with, would probably be prone to breaking (wooden shaft, heavy mace heads) and wouldn't be able to hit with the force of a swung single handed bludgeoning weapon, which is what was relied on to crack the armour. Have you ever tried using a barbell as a weapon? That would be similar.
Gone to greener meadows.
Kirethorn
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Jeggrim » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm

Forkbeard wrote:Yeah, sleeper, that's crap. I don't know where you heard it, but it's bs.
Quarterstaff is a farmer weapon. The are only serious weapons when either
A)everyone is equally(poorly) armed.
B)You're fighting someone whos retarded.
FB

AhhhhHahahahaha

And ya, a stick with a metal collar on both ends does not =a two handed sword or mass weapon. Its a **** stick.

Just like SCA swords are sticks. They don't destroy armor or shields. A metal nub ain't gonna change that. At the end of the day, a stick is a stick, and a two handed sword is gonna **** **** up.

--Jegg

How's that orc logic for ya :angel: ;) :P :goblin:
Oh and why can't I have a goblin smiley with a halo, winking and sticking its tongue out? That would save a lot of space. Ha!
White Skull
Deciple of Gruumsh
Jeggrim
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Sleeper » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 pm

*sigh* look em up. Ofcourse the quarterstaff fitted with these metal caps going against plate armour is speculation, however, it was stated that all swords were at more risk of breaking than the armour. They also said that axe's and maces filled that position better.
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Postby Kirethorn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Sleeper wrote:*sigh* look em up. Ofcourse the quarterstaff fitted with these metal caps going against plate armour is speculation, however, it was stated that all swords were at more risk of breaking than the armour. They also said that axe's and maces filled that position better.

Was this what you had in mind? (compliments of google pics)
A neverwinter nights dire mace.

Or this?

Typed in mace ended staff and this came up.

What google failed to find was a real-life version of your weapon. Amd who is this famous "they"? If you are only going off one site (not a very good one from the sound of it) then you are...well...I'll leave that to others better at it (Forkbeard, Jeggrim).
Gone to greener meadows.
Kirethorn
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Arrakis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:56 pm

From English Master of Defense George Silver's Paradoxes of Defence (published in 1599):
George Silver wrote:Yet understand, that in battles, and where variety of weapons are, among multitudes of men and horses, the sword and target, the two handed sword, battle axe, the black bill, and halberd, are better weapons, and more dangerous in their offense and forces, than is the sword and buckler, short staff, long staff, or forest bill. The sword and target leads upon shot, and in troops defends thrusts and blows given by battle axe, halberds, black bill, or two handed swords, far better than can the sword and buckler.

The morris pike defends the battle from both horse and man, much better than can the short staff, long staff, or forest bill. Again the battle axe, the halberd, the black bill, the two handed sword, and sword & target, among armed men and troops, by reason of their weights, shortness, and great force, do much more offend the enemy, & are then much better weapons, than is the short staff, the long staff, or the forest bill.

Emphasis mine.

And this is from a man who follows this up with
George Silver wrote:Now for the vantage of the short staff against the sword and buckler, sword & target, two handed sword, single sword, sword and dagger, or rapier and poniard, there is no great question to be in any of these weapons. Whensoever any blow or thrust shall be strongly made with the staff, they are ever in false place, in the carriage of the wards, for if at any of these six weapons he carries his ward high & strong for his head, as of necessity he must carry it very high, otherwise it will be too weak to defend a blow being strongly made at the head, then will his space be too wide, in due time to break the thrust from his body. Again, if he carries his ward lower, thereby to be in equal space for readiness to break both blow & thrust, then in that place his ward is too low, and too weak to defend the blow of the staff: for the blow being strongly made at the head upon that ward, will beat down the ward and his head together, and put him in great danger of his life.

Note the emphasis on the head as an essential target, note that in this case he is speaking only of single duels and two-on-one fights, and note also that he mentions only the two most common civilian shields from that period of history, the buckler (8-14" round "punch-style" shield made of dished metal) and the target (similarly sized, circa 10-16", square or trapezoidal and often wavy in profile). That certainly doesn't include 3x3.5' or bigger lightweight punch tower shields.

The short staff (our legal quarterstaff is on too short, truthfully; Silver recommends 8-9 feet) is not a good fit for our system of combat, there being no blows to the head in our system and our sport being dominated by large, quick shields. Too, the conditions of our combat (large battles) is specifically listed as being not ideal conditions for the use of the staff. It may still be possible to develop a workable style of Bel staff for single or low-number combat, though, but I caution that it will not be an easy (or perhaps even possible!) row to hoe.

A link for your perusal to a full transcription of the complete text of Silver's Paradoxes.
Arrakis

Postby Arrakis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Also, Sleeper, keep the kids showing up during winter; I'll be back in town a couple of Sundays during December and/or January (hella long winter break up here in the Northeast!) and you better know I'll be on the field!
Arrakis

Postby Kirethorn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:03 pm

To Sleeper,
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MueCLe4Eahc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MueCLe4Eahc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Gone to greener meadows.
Kirethorn
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Dabbanoth » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:59 am

Silly Foreigners.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun