7 Days of Training

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

7 Days of Training

Postby Physic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:13 am

If you were to train seven days a week for at least an hour a day what would be your optimal schedule for maximum skill development?

My opinion doing pell drills for 2 days, partner drills for 2 days, sparring for 2 days and a day of studying sparring videos.

I feel that this schedule would allow for a wide variety of training without getting burned out on doing the same thing every day. This would also space things out for recovery time between the harder sessions which would probably be the partner drills and sparring. Here a weeks training.

Partner Drills
Sparring
Pell
Partner Drills
Sparring
Pell
Video

What do you guys think?

Im would like to exclude muscular development even though I think it is equally important. That is a different discussion.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Re: 7 Days of Training

Postby bo1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 am

hey physic, i would recomend doing video in the middle. and actually taping the practices all the time for review. it is a mojor part of pro sports training is to do tape review. you can see your self making mistakes and take care of the problem. plus you can see what problems you had the first sessions that you fix later. just a thought.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Winfang » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:44 am

Physic, I recommend that you move to Ohio so I could train with you.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Tytus » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:07 am

What are some of the partner drills you had in mind for training for an hour on them?
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky, -Michael Scott
Tytus
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Die

Postby Judas » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:22 pm

Off topic: Did you just post this on the Archive or is that just coincidental?
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Arrakis » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm

I would want to spar against a different better-than-me fighter every day. Preferably one hour sword'n'board, one hour Florentine each day, or maybe alternate days...

That's all. I learn by doing.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Roland Demox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:49 pm

bo1 wrote:hey physic, i would recomend doing video in the middle. and actually taping the practices all the time for review. it is a mojor part of pro sports training is to do tape review. you can see your self making mistakes and take care of the problem. plus you can see what problems you had the first sessions that you fix later. just a thought.

QFT. My old MMA coach used to tape every 3rd practice, after practice on the fourth day he would sit down and review with individuals. You then try to fix it in the two day span before film day again

Physic I am honestly considering picking up this training schedule. Seems like its as close to a true warrior schedule as I have time for
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Mouken » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:08 am

all the training I would be doing is sparring on Thursdays in Loderia. that reminds me, how many people are still showing up now that its cold?
"May your mettle chip and shatter"
Mouken
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Akkadians
Favorite Fighting Styles: Honorable

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:45 pm

You might want to ask that on the Loderia baords, I'm not trying to be rude but it's like asking a baseball stadium if they've seen your friend, you know, that guy.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Mouken » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:14 pm

there is a loderian board?
Mouken
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 pm

yep, they have one on pro-boards, I'm not sure what the URL is.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mouken » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:22 pm

oh... i was looking for it on this site...
Mouken
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Physic » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 am

bo1 wrote:hey physic, i would recomend doing video in the middle. and actually taping the practices all the time for review. it is a mojor part of pro sports training is to do tape review. you can see your self making mistakes and take care of the problem. plus you can see what problems you had the first sessions that you fix later. just a thought.

Technically it will always be in the middle if I run this schedule every week which I do plan on doing. Along with watching myself I will be browsing youtube seeking out the good fighters in the kingdom looking to watch there style. This is perfect for learning the technique to new shots and also at identifying weaknesses in someone that I may have to face in combat someday.

Winfang wrote:Physic, I recommend that you move to Ohio so I could train with you.

When Ohio becomes tropical I may move there. Until then you will have to come to more Bel events so we can get some side training in. I do enjoy the few times a year we get to fight. Its a great gauge to see how we are both advancing.

Tytusblade wrote:What are some of the partner drills you had in mind for training for an hour on them?

The great thing about partner drills is that you can do whatever you want. I do not do just one drill for an hour. I mix up several of them each week focusing on things that I would like to get better at. Some of my favorite are slow work, offense/defense, block strike and combo drills. Use your imagination and think of ways that will develop your weak spots.

Arrakis wrote:I would want to spar against a different better-than-me fighter every day. Preferably one hour sword'n'board, one hour Florentine each day, or maybe alternate days...

That's all. I learn by doing.

I think everyone learns by doing different things. Sparring is by far the most fun aspect of fighting. That is why everyone wants to use it as the main training tool. My biggest issue with doing only sparring is that if you fighting with bad habits you arent focusing on them enough to correct them. If you want to develop your wrap shot in a sparring situation you will more then likely just get killed alot if you keep repeatedly throwing it. You can develop a wrap shot drill with a buddy where you can slowing everything down and concentrate on your technique and get a lot more repetition in. That should allow you to learn it faster. Doing that isnt exactly fun and that is why you need to mix it up.

Sparring, to me, is best used for finding your weaknesses where you can then go to your pell and drills to strengthen it. It is also great for learning to defend against the many styles that are out there. Experience is always a great teacher.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Are you gonna be doing one hour for Bel one for SCA? I mean, say Peter's fat bats drill, great for both. Block strike with a block and riposte to the head, not so much. But still important for you.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:Peter's fat bats drill

Que es?
Arrakis

Postby Physic » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:Are you gonna be doing one hour for Bel one for SCA? I mean, say Peter's fat bats drill, great for both. Block strike with a block and riposte to the head, not so much. But still important for you.

Im actually looking to get some lacrosse helms and fat bats to train SCA. It is very difficult to do full speed drills with rattan. Someone will eventually get hurt.

My opinion is that training SCA is better in the long run then doing Belegarth style of fighting. In the SCA you are forced to use full body mechanics and precise technique. Belegarth with the low force requirement allows you to cheat some of these things. I beleive that over time it will lead to more stress injuries using many common Bel techniques.

Over all it doesnt really matter what you are training as long as you are doing something to actively develop your skill.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Arrakis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Physic, I'm starting to notice that trend myself. I've just started fighting SCA and I'm throwing realllly sloppy Bel shots with 3# sword/clubs and they just aren't working for me.

Time to learn some technique, I guess...
Arrakis

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training