When youre out of attacks...

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

When youre out of attacks...

Postby Sicarian » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 pm

What do you fighters do when you throw everything at someone and they stop it ALL! Or even worse...they do it easily? I start throwing more shots, at varied areas with varies strength hoping to open them up. Some times it works...other times not so much. There must be a better way! Thanks in advance -Arous of Knightfall
Peace Through Power

Forkbeard wrote:The rest of the groups that use extra stuff rules are **** stupid and constantly loosing their * and reforming, excpet Nero, which is just for **** homo's. And furries.
FB
Sicarian
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2007
Realm: Knightfall
Unit: Knightfall Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Polearms, S&B, Severed Body Parts.

Re: When youre out of attacks...

Postby Kyrian » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:46 pm

"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Dabbanoth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:29 pm

Shoulder wraps.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Ralimar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Grapple!
Ralimar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2099

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Awesome link, Kyrian.

I know that I'm guilty of getting tunnel vision in a one on one fight; I rarely pause to recalculate my approach, instead opting to speed things up or power through. If the fighting is stagnating, it's probably because my opponent is playing extremely defensively (afraid of getting hit/losing), or they're trying to bait me into doing something stupid. If it's the first scenario, I'll typically ramp up the intensity or riskiness of my shots with the intent of throwing them off guard. Get good at closing fast with a tight defense. Build a repertoire of fast, efficient closers that'll ideally leave them on their *.

If it's the second scenario where an opponent is baiting, trying to get me to rush or pull a lower percentage shot, I'll step back and try to examine what tells they're looking for me to give and react to that. Feed them the tell, and counter appropriately. For example: I tend to throw my shield side shoulder slightly forward before an aggressive attack. If I see my opponent glancing at that shoulder, I'll fake the shoulder shrug and throw the exact opposite shot I would normally throw in that situation. Bait and switch. I definitely need to work on this because I can get very impatient and just rush out of boredom/stupidity.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Arrakis » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Dagg, you're 40,000 feet tall. I don't think "Shoulder Wraps" is the answer to everyone's problem, generally speaking.

I like to throw change-ups: throw a pile of shots at absolute full speed, then start cutting out the second shot in a three-hit combo, or throwing the third shot or a combo you've thrown more than once against that opponent at half speed. Sometimes you can convince them to block and then remove the block before your shot lands.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:54 pm

I second Arrakis' recommendation. It's not always a question of speed, it is quite often a question of timing. If you do your moves at different speeds, or with a different rhythm, you are unlikely to run out of moves.

A more simple recommendation, though: if your opponent is blocking all of your attacks, you can just stop attacking and fight defensively. Wait for your opponent to attack you, and look for openings. That is the first thing I would do.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby p_quick » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:30 am

grind on them or range them watch how they move and identify what they are doin to block "everything" and then use your head and think of ways to make them go outside their box. It is probably something as basic as their foot work is better then yours or they have a good weapon block.

and yeah (magnus is right) force them on the offensive and watch where the openings appear when they attack, (you will see these openings more if you make them reach for their attacks, make them hunch, and force them off your center line) once you see the openings look for it a second time and don't hesitate, strike on it fast and confident.

This person sounds like a great person for you to fight, you learn alot more from losing then winning
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby kerox » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:57 am

I find it's a fine time to knock them over. Results may vary, but it's fun.
kerox
Recruit
Recruit

Postby p_quick » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 am

amen brother, amen
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:04 am

Against a tight defense, the slow blade penetrates the shield. Def. switch up your timing. All great suggestions so far. A good shield kick can really open up and opponent who is playing defense. Especially if you put it in the middle of an attack combo.

I like to throw, from a righty stance, right leg back...a knee shot, then high cross, and as i draw my cross back I shoot my back foot for the kick. The next time, I will do the same thing, but fake the kick and throw a wrap instead. They willl usually suck up their defense when they figure the kick is coming, leaving a great opening for the wrap.

Shield kicks are great if for nothing else than the intimidation factor alone. Especially after you've already been flattened or sent reeling by one that fight.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Hatchet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 pm

If it's one on one improvising is a good tactic. Surprise your opponent with a shot that you just thought of even if it seems like it wouldn't hit even .1% of the times you try it.Also sometimes try playing the head games card. Chat it up with them tell them somethings open even if it clearly isn't. I have seen people shift their shields to an area I say is open just so I can pop them in the spot they just exposed, ask them about their favorite things, get their mind off of your shots, the only thing is you must keep them on the defensive if your playing head games, it's easy for this to back fire. If it is a field battle though and the guy your facing isn't in a position to roll your entire team then running away is a good tactic.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:42 am

Make them think you have an opening and when they go for it, parry and counterstrike. This is risky, but we are fighting with rubber swords.
Or...
Kick the sheild!!!!
and say RRRAARRHHH!!!!
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:54 am

Yeah and watch out for the shield kick. It hurts when it's too the face.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Bhakdar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:45 am

If you're on a battlefield, and you're not the last two left standing,

1) Summon the help of a buddy

2) Try to pull or push them into a crowd of your team

or if that fails:

3) Move away from them and let them go. Hit them from behind later.

This may not be the response that was being sought after, but in a field setting, it's often the best way of dealing with the 'unconquerable' opponent. You don't have to do it yourself; get a red, glaive, or spear next to you and I guarantee your situation will change. If they can really block everything you can throw at them, then it's time to double-team!
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Sicarian » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks all...always looking towards being a better fighter!
Peace Through Power

Forkbeard wrote:The rest of the groups that use extra stuff rules are **** stupid and constantly loosing their * and reforming, excpet Nero, which is just for **** homo's. And furries.
FB
Sicarian
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2007
Realm: Knightfall
Unit: Knightfall Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Polearms, S&B, Severed Body Parts.

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training