Suggestions and assistance, please!

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Suggestions and assistance, please!

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:08 pm

http://www.dagorhir.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001471

If you can give your input, I would greatly appreciate it, either here on on the Dag board. I would like to make this an inter-game thing.

I also hope to attend Amtgard's Sword Knight boot camp, since it is not that far away this year and will doubtless bring up some good ideas.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Re: Suggestions and assistance, please!

Postby Kyrian » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Magnus,

This is a pretty neat idea. I'd suggest, if you haven't already, checking out the SKBC forum on e-sam.

A few suggestions:

1) Expand the event and make Friday dedicated to the individual and small-group classes. That block on Saturday morning for classes doesn't seem like enough.

2) Use Saturday for people to try out and reinforce the new skills they learned on Friday. The Army always emphasized the "crawl, walk, run" approach whenever training. The last part of Saturday's fighting should probably be larger-scale melees where attendees will really have to put their skills and battle awareness to the test.

3) Since arrows and javelins are such an integral part of the Dag/Bel battlefield, I really think you should try consider how to integrate them into the melees and classes. I understand that you're not fond of archery, but it is still a part of the game that can catch even the best melee fighters unawares. Perhaps a class where an archer can explain the hows and whys of choosing targets, how they move, and ways to defeat them.

I use the analogy of the flail. I personally don't care for fighting with them and I was in a unit that wouldn't use them. I've picked up a flail on a few occasions to try and better understand the mechanics of the weapon as well as its advantages and disadvantages. This helped me understand how to better defend against it. I believe the same thing applies to archery.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:33 pm

I just think the archery element would be distracting. In my opinion, battlefield awareness is separate from fighting technique, and I think teaching both at the same time could create confusion.

Your idea about Friday having time for small classes sounds good, I will have to think about it.
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kyrian » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:46 pm

MagnusofDregoth wrote:I just think the archery element would be distracting. In my opinion, battlefield awareness is separate from fighting technique, and I think teaching both at the same time could create confusion.

Keep them separate for the first day's training but consider integrating it into the larger exercises on Saturday. I prefer to think of battlefield awareness as being an extension of fighting technique. A part of fighting technique is being aware of your opponent, his tells, strengths, weaknesses, etc. I believe you can expand that world view to encompass both small-unit and large-scale melees.

I've seen this more in the SCA (and I'm by no means saying it's a negative) that there tends to be more focus on the individual and tourney-style skill development. We tend to put our new fighters out into the middle of a melee where they have develop their battle awareness, especially when getting shot by arrows, backstabbed, or hit by a javelin on a regular basis. They are merely different approaches and it's up to the individual to figure out what works for him. But battlefield awareness should be a part of every fighter's "toolbox".
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby bo1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:31 pm

fear the toolbox. Yes we should all have a tools box. just pick the right tool for the job.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:19 pm

I guess we could teach something like that, I will have to figure out who would be the best teacher and how we would teach it.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Physic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:13 am

I think location is the key to this. If you do it in IL you will get a lot of Bel fighters. If its in Ohio you will probably mostly get Dag. Find out who your teachers will be and make it convenient for them.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Winfang » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:16 am

If it's in Ohio, South-East Michigan, or Eastern PA I would love to attend to either be a teacher or a student.

If you want Ohio, let me know and I'll try to dig up campgrounds that could be suitable.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Arrakis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:28 am

Stick it right on the border between OH and IL.

BRING EVERYONE.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Dabbanoth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:34 am

Arrakis wrote:Stick it right on the border between OH and IL.

BRING EVERYONE.

In the entire state of Indiana?
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:37 am

Right now, I think we're leaning towards the very west of New York, Jamestown or thereabouts. It's around 3 hours from Akron and the eastern Ohio groups, some 6-6.5 hours from Philadelphia and Washington, maybe 4 hours from Toledo, and so on. This is largely because we got some quick feedback from the Buffalo Dag group with regards to a site that would work well.

However, if eastern Ohio has a good site for this, it might be a better option.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Physic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40 am

The Olympics site would be perfect for this. Central Indiana is probably your best chance to get the best of both organizations involved. The farther east you go the less Bel fighters you will get.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Arrakis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Dagganoth wrote:
Arrakis wrote:Stick it right on the border between OH and IL.

BRING EVERYONE.

In the entire state of Indiana?

DAGG. WHAT did I JUST say?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Winfang » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:25 pm

I always forget about Buffalo...

Do it like SCA events or SKBC, have someone put a bid in for it. Let them commit to handling the arrangements of things like a campground and other things that are better done by local staff, and you bring the teachers and the game plan.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Derian » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:51 pm

Also, this way the event can travel and you needn't worry about the infrastructure things and can focus solely on making it better.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:28 pm

Winfang wrote:I always forget about Buffalo...

Do it like SCA events or SKBC, have someone put a bid in for it. Let them commit to handling the arrangements of things like a campground and other things that are better done by local staff, and you bring the teachers and the game plan.

We're sort of trying that...I will see if I can make that more explicit. I definitely like that idea.

The only issue is, because I do not have discretionary vacation (as a teacher) I would only be able to guarantee my own attendance for events either a. near me (within 8 hours drive) or b. during the summer, or c. during my own vacation. Maybe other potential instructors would be more flexible.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Brennon EH » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:36 am

I really wish you guys the best of luck with this. If there is anything I can offer in way of advice or assistance, please let me know.

Also keep in mind that SKBC does wish to appeal to Bel/Dag as well, and if any of you guys are interested in setting up some classes with us then drop me a PM here and we will see what we can work out.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:33 pm

It seems like we might be having this at Spring Valley Campground in Cambridge, OH. It is also known as the Ragnarok site. The nearby Dag realm leader has talked with them about costs for a Spring event, and it would be very reasonable; assuming we got like 60 people to come out, an event fee of $15 would allow us to break even, whereas a larger turnout would make it even easier to fund this thing.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby bangor » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 am

MagnusofDregoth wrote:
Winfang wrote:I always forget about Buffalo...

We're sort of trying that...I will see if I can make that more explicit. I definitely like that idea.

The only issue is, because I do not have discretionary vacation (as a teacher) I would only be able to guarantee my own attendance for events either a. near me (within 8 hours drive) or b. during the summer, or c. during my own vacation. Maybe other potential instructors would be more flexible.

We're going on a field trip kids! If we get Feral to do it too, that automatically 60+ attendees! :angel:
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Okay, so, we are pretty firmly set on Spring Valley Campground in Cambridge, Ohio. We will have plenty of space for camping and fighting, and we plan to charge $20/person in order to ensure that we will not lose too much money. Since this is a new event, we aren't expecting a big turnout, but I think 20 bucks is a price worth paying.

So far we haven't secured very many instructors; I think we have 3 who will definitely be there. But I'm not too worried in that regard just yet.

In addition to fighting, I also expect to have a few weapons construction demonstrations in the pavilion, probably a sword build, a spear build, a shield build, whatever people want to learn how to construct better.

I and at least one other person who will be helping me run this will be going to SKBC as well, which is three weeks earlier; no doubt it will give us some useful ideas about running our own event.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:22 am

We've hit a bit of a snag. The owners of the site don't want to let us in for the price they quoted on Memorial Day weekend, because they would lose out on the regular campers (whom they charge twice as much as they charge Dagorhir) and it just makes more economic sense for them not to have us.

So, we are probably moving the event to the weekend of May 1st. Which kind of sucks, because I was hoping to go to SKBC first and pick up some useful inspiration, but unless we move the event to the last weekend in May--really close to Ragnarok, probably too close for many people to want to make the drive--it's the only workable solution. I'm planning to attend SKBC anyway, so the weekend of the 8th is not really an option.

I don't expect that this will hurt our attendance too badly--anyone who wants to come down to eastern Ohio and learn to fight is still more than welcome! The site is awesome, the fighting is sure to be good, and we're going to party like we always do. And we'll also be demonstrating really good weapon designs as well, including very reliable thrusting tips, sturdy shield hooks for spearheads, really well-balanced and smooth-handling swords, break-down 12' spears, cool shields, and maybe a few other things (graphite-cored javelins with 2.5" heads that fly 80+ feet...).
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Arkin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 am

Brennon EH wrote:I really wish you guys the best of luck with this. If there is anything I can offer in way of advice or assistance, please let me know.

Also keep in mind that SKBC does wish to appeal to Bel/Dag as well, and if any of you guys are interested in setting up some classes with us then drop me a PM here and we will see what we can work out.

Just an Idea, I think it would be easier to just set up your classes with the SKBC this year. Then you wont need to spend money on a site, and brennon said he will be happy to give advice or assistance. Also anyone that wants to go to your event can go to SKBC and learn from a whole different sport. Were is SKBC this year and when is it?
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Derian » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19 am

MagnusofDregoth wrote:graphite-cored javelins with 2.5" heads that fly 80+ feet

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Obie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Arkin wrote:
Brennon EH wrote:I really wish you guys the best of luck with this. If there is anything I can offer in way of advice or assistance, please let me know.

Just an Idea, I think it would be easier to just set up your classes with the SKBC this year. Then you wont need to spend money on a site, and brennon said he will be happy to give advice or assistance. Also anyone that wants to go to your event can go to SKBC and learn from a whole different sport. Were is SKBC this year and when is it?

SKBC will be in Ohio this year, southeast of Columbus by about 30 minutes at Geneva Hills Campground. It will be on May 7th through 10th (with the classes being on the 8th and 9th).
Obie
Obie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby varadin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:10 am

Know its a bit early and in the planning stages still but do you have an idea of what youll have being taught. Im crazy pumped to see you are doing this and we for sure be attending ill even drag whoever up in cleveland i can grab.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern

Postby Wisp » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:23 am

If your that interested in May, I think the SKBC suggestion would work the best for you.

Alternately, having these classes at Rag would be a good idea.

Will
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:48 am

The way things are looking now, we will likely be having this event in late May, the weekend after Labor Day. The site is just about an hour away from the location of SKBC.

I hope to get some inspiration from SKBC and incorporate some of the teaching methods into our own event. While I appreciate the value in combining events, the issue there is 1. I don't want to detract from an Amtgard event, and 2. Dagorhir corporate policy would never allow us to run an event alongside another organization. Which is a travesty, but it's the way things are for now.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby varadin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:43 am

MagnusofDregoth wrote:The way things are looking now, we will likely be having this event in late May, the weekend after memorial day The site is just about an hour away from the location of SKBC.

I hope to get some inspiration from SKBC and incorporate some of the teaching methods into our own event. While I appreciate the value in combining events, the issue there is 1. I don't want to detract from an Amtgard event, and 2. Dagorhir corporate policy would never allow us to run an event alongside another organization. Which is a travesty, but it's the way things are for now.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern

Postby Brennon EH » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:43 am

MagnusofDregoth wrote:The way things are looking now, we will likely be having this event in late May, the weekend after Labor Day. The site is just about an hour away from the location of SKBC.

You mean Memorial day? Labor day is in the fall.

SKBC, despite the name, is not actually an Amtgard event. Never has been. It's intentionally a separate entity run by people who play Amtgard. We do not represent ourselves as Amtgard, and we would really like to have something valuable to all foam fighting groups. It's part of our mission statement. That said, I totally appreciate your desire to have your own event, and I think it's a good step.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 pm

MagnusofDregoth wrote: 2. Dagorhir corporate policy would never allow us to run an event alongside another organization. Which is a travesty, but it's the way things are for now.

Truth. I hope that policy changes some day so we can all easily know about everyone's events and have bigger events.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Brennon EH wrote:
MagnusofDregoth wrote:The way things are looking now, we will likely be having this event in late May, the weekend after Labor Day. The site is just about an hour away from the location of SKBC.

You mean Memorial day? Labor day is in the fall.

DAMMIT I always do that. The weekend after Memorial Day. Weekend of the 29th.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kaimelar Morikayun » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Yeah its a drag. Can't we all just be friends? =P i'd love to make it but no guarantees. Would be nice to be able to do the classes some days at Rag =/ keep us posted =D
Kai, Captain of Wargar, Squire to Sir Lotek.
Work it Harder, Make it Better, Do it Faster, Makes us Stronger, More than Ever, Hour after Our Work is Never Over...
Kaimelar Morikayun
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2003
Realm: Durdemarion
Unit: Wargar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board/Single Blue.

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Quick update:

We have confirmed the weekend of May 29th for this event, pending delivery of fund$ to the campsite.

The event fee will be 20 dollars, based solely on the cost of the site (900-some dollars plus an additional $2/head). At that rate, we will break even with 50 fighters (well, almost break even) and any additional money beyond breaking even will go towards the cost of next year's event.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby p_quick » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:55 am

good luck magnus, I doubt i can make it there for the event but i'll help you out any way i can. Just let me know what i can do.

see you at opener and SKBC
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Sorry you can't make it out--I recognize that it is a bit of a hike for you.

I will be at SKBC (not WP opener, though, got some coaching duties and it's a heck of a drive) and I would love to take some time to get your ideas for stuff to teach at the Academy.

Anyone who's within driving distance, I strongly encourage you to make the trip. It will be an event consisting entirely of a.) experienced fighters who take fighting really seriously, and b.) new fighters who are looking to improve their game. Both of which are my favorite groups of opponents.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training