Peter's Class

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Peter's Class

Postby Derian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:29 pm

I posted this in GM, but it should be here as well:

http://streaming.derian.us/part1.html

This one covers some fundamentals as well as block/strike.

http://streaming.derian.us/part2.html

This one covers how to look for patterns in your opponent's fighting.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: Peter's Class

Postby Brennon EH » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Solid concepts, generally, and a good teaching style.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby p_quick » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:29 pm

thanks derian, and thanks brennon.

If anyone has suggestions for future classes please post your comments, i'd like to hear what you all have to say.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Winfang » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Nice stuff Peter. I've done similar drills to the block/strike, but never had a name for it.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Derian » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Some of you may also be interested in what some Amtgard folks have to say about the issue: http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... hp?t=16044
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Arkin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:32 pm

Peter I think you did a great job. I dont get what the amtgard guys are saying about what people are most likely to do when your in there face. Its almost like they think there going to have a hour to think about what they are doing before you close. I agree with them to a point because I like fighting from a distance, but you can move forward quicker then someone can move backwards. So as long as you take a couple blocks then step in you can "grind" all day. There weapons are also lighter so there average fighter might have a bigger shot selection but idk.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Derian » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Arkin wrote:There weapons are also lighter so there average fighter might have a bigger shot selection but idk.

I really don't think that is the case anymore. I think the majority of Amtgard (of the stickjock crowd, at least) weapons are in the 10-14 oz. range which is only slightly lower than ours.

Edit: Brennon or anyone else; shed some light?
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Arkin wrote:Peter I think you did a great job. I dont get what the amtgard guys are saying about what people are most likely to do when your in there face.

I think the basic sentiment was that there are several more considerations for the theories presented that were not accounted for in the lessons; I further went on to postulate that I don't think Peter is incapable of figuring those situations out, which means he probably has not encountered them. I don't know Peter, so I could be wrong about that. I then said that, in my experience with Belegarth, the average fighter tends to have a small repertoire of shots. Derian suggested that the most common are the high cross, hip wrap, and arm chop; I would agree with his assessment.

Its almost like they think there going to have a hour to think about what they are doing before you close. I agree with them to a point because I like fighting from a distance, but you can move forward quicker then someone can move backwards. So as long as you take a couple blocks then step in you can "grind" all day.

I find that I generally have ample time to consider my options in both Amtgard and Belegarth. With some practice and training you will find that thinking critically while you fight is both feasible and highly advantageous. In any given situation, the guy with the plan almost always wins over the guy just reacting.

There weapons are also lighter so there average fighter might have a bigger shot selection but idk.

I had no issues translating my shot repertoire from Belegarth and Amtgard. I think the issue is far more to do with proper body mechanics and force generation than with weapon weight. A light Amtgard weapon tends to be 7oz, while mine are about 12.5oz.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:57 pm

Derian wrote:I really don't think that is the case anymore. I think the majority of Amtgard (of the stickjock crowd, at least) weapons are in the 10-14 oz. range which is only slightly lower than ours.

Edit: Brennon or anyone else; shed some light?

I would say the average Amtgard short sword (35.5 inches) is now in the vicinity of 10oz. That's serious fighters, of course.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Arkin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:19 pm

what I was saying is with peters fighting style he will be on top of you the whole time. He will give you very few chances to swing and if you try and do to tricky of a shot he will block it and that will leave you open to the stab that rips the air out of your body. :D The style of fighting peter does is VERY simple but very effective because it limits bad habits.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby p_quick » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:49 pm

the feedback on the A-gard board is some good stuff. thanks for that link. I'll continue to read that thread for more feed back.

Arkin, you need to stop man....(I don't wanna burst your bubble here...and thank you for standing up for my therory. :) )

But...
I am not absolutly right, and neither is anyone else, people are always going to argue about the best way to fight.

These guys are giving critial feed back as to what i taught. I wanna hear what they have to say as well as anyone else that wants to add anything constructive.

The way you learn is by observing, analysing, absorbing, and acting.

So for the time being lets observe...
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Arkin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:15 pm

blah

\didnt mean to post sorry
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby p_quick » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:21 pm

P.s. Brennon thanks for posting that on the E-samurai board. Having spent a good amount of time with spyn and Ed i have a large amount of respect for
amptgard fighting, so again, thanks

:)
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Arkin wrote:what I was saying is with peters fighting style he will be on top of you the whole time. He will give you very few chances to swing and if you try and do to tricky of a shot he will block it and that will leave you open to the stab that rips the air out of your body. :D The style of fighting peter does is VERY simple but very effective because it limits bad habits.

No offense, Arkin. I'm sure you mean well. I think you just need to travel a little more before you decide what is, and is not, possible.

Peter: You're welcome. Feel free to join in that thread if you like.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Arkin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:38 am

Sorry Brennon I didnt mean anything by it.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby Brennon EH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:17 pm

Arkin wrote:Sorry Brennon I didnt mean anything by it.

No worries ;)
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training