Dealing with Mr. Megahelm Coreless Tower Shield Guy

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Dealing with Mr. Megahelm Coreless Tower Shield Guy

Postby Black Cat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:28 pm

What is the best way to fight someone with a huge, but obnoxiously lightweight tower shield and a blue weapon whom is also wearing a helm without having to pick up a huge board yourself?

Say you are fighting with any one of these styles: Florentine, Redsword, Glaive, Spear, Archery, or another weapon style that doesn't let you pick up a shield bigger than 14-16 inches in diameter without severely encumbering you.

What kind of techniques would you use to attempt to defeat such a fighter? What would you not do?
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Re: Dealing with Mr. Megahelm Coreless Tower Shield Guy

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Allright BC, now I am considering this from the 1 vs. 1 point of view, except for archery, which I will cover first.

Archery: you won't win 1 v 1, get behind them and shoot them in the back. Dont waste you efforts trying to shoot them from the front, it is almost pointless unless they happen to open up just in time for your shot to land.

Red Sword, Glaive, Spear: You will need to use your range advantage and maintain it. Otherwise you will get closed on and die. Use off angles and break the shield, Keep moving!

Florentine: Block and strike at the same time, use counterswinging, and overwhelm your opponent with a flurry of blows designed to open up the target you want to hit without allowing your opponent to swing back. You must throw shot that have to be blocked with both shield and sword, or they will just shield block you and then counter when you are open.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Chicken » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:11 pm

As a spearman I will happily pick an opponent with a punch tower over a strap any day, so that part at least is certainly not always to your disadvantage.

Assuming you don't use a close-range backup weapon and that it's 1-on-1 with no allies anywhere else on the field, you'll need a fighting retreat. Don't go straight back, pick a side, preferably their weapon side, and run at that angle. Keep attacking, there's no other way you'll win. Generally speaking there's little to no risk or cost to attacking with a spear, so the more and faster you do so, the better you'll be.

Punch shields are really easy to knock around with any two handed weapon, have fun. If you stab to either edge you can often turn the shield 90 degrees - alone, this is obviously most useful on the inside edge. If you're safe about it, you can also bat the edges with the haft, which can achieve the same effect but leave you in a better position, or can twist the shield out of vertical. Vary your shot placement; many punch shield users will move their shield to block more strongly either out of instinct or to avoid your manipulations, the more you get them to start dancing it around the more likely you are to get a chance to jump into an opening. Finally, if you have a hook, work it and make them cry.

If you have a backup weapon you can choose to close instead. The increased mobility of a punch gives it better protection in tight than a strap if they block up high and pin your (backup) weapon arm back. To avoid that, try to catch them by surprise (lunging forward suddenly in a retreat) or from an angle where you have more openings.

In a line or with a partner you get to use all those same tricks with much less threat of them rushing you. Work their shield until you get through, or better yet coordinate with a teammate and give them an opening - you can often not only move their shield where they don't want it but hold it there almost indefinitely.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Black Cat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:08 pm

Chicken wrote:As a spearman I will happily pick an opponent with a punch tower over a strap any day, so that part at least is certainly not always to your disadvantage.

Assuming you don't use a close-range backup weapon and that it's 1-on-1 with no allies anywhere else on the field, you'll need a fighting retreat. Don't go straight back, pick a side, preferably their weapon side, and run at that angle. Keep attacking, there's no other way you'll win. Generally speaking there's little to no risk or cost to attacking with a spear, so the more and faster you do so, the better you'll be.

Punch shields are really easy to knock around with any two handed weapon, have fun. If you stab to either edge you can often turn the shield 90 degrees - alone, this is obviously most useful on the inside edge. If you're safe about it, you can also bat the edges with the haft, which can achieve the same effect but leave you in a better position, or can twist the shield out of vertical. Vary your shot placement; many punch shield users will move their shield to block more strongly either out of instinct or to avoid your manipulations, the more you get them to start dancing it around the more likely you are to get a chance to jump into an opening. Finally, if you have a hook, work it and make them cry.

If you have a backup weapon you can choose to close instead. The increased mobility of a punch gives it better protection in tight than a strap if they block up high and pin your (backup) weapon arm back. To avoid that, try to catch them by surprise (lunging forward suddenly in a retreat) or from an angle where you have more openings.

In a line or with a partner you get to use all those same tricks with much less threat of them rushing you. Work their shield until you get through, or better yet coordinate with a teammate and give them an opening - you can often not only move their shield where they don't want it but hold it there almost indefinitely.

Cool. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Since I coincidentally have a 102" (8 1/2 feet) Bandpole spear that I originally constructed as a prepatory project for building a glaive, I'll have to upgrade it with a shield hook this spring and try that stuff out.

Being a member of Aquilonia, I'm sure that there are plenty of tower punch users I can fight to learn how these moves really work for myself. I actually find it kind of embarrasing that I forgot about how well those guys block arrows though when I made my first post about my opinion of physic's proposed ruleset in the rules discussion forum. Oops. Oh well...

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Black Cat
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:42 am

Florentine, I'd be shield kicking, stabbing their shield, throwing fast combos, and trying to draw a big shot so I can counterstrike their arm off. And if you can put them hard on the defensive, press their shield with your left hand and wrap them up with your right, just don't neglect your defense. Not easy to do, but effective and not too hard, either.

Redsword... I don't know, man. Crank on their shield to make it propeller, but otherwise, excepting "be physical and move their shield with your body", I don't have a lot of advice.

Sword and buckler... I LOVE my 16" square punch target (1/2" plywood core, 2 layers blue on the front, 3 layers blue on the edges). Just hit their shield with it, block actively, and fight in close. You definitely want a stab tip on your 30-35" sword (this opens up PLENTY of shots you couldn't do with a 36-38 inch non-stabber).
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby p_quick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:58 am

any style you are using you need to be more moblale then the tower shield, and you will find that opening you seek. oh, and be physical
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:13 am

Grab your weapon. You must have names for your weapons; mine are Gladys and Debbie the Mophandle specifically. Line up, psych up(yelling, screaming and shrieking) and channel the energy into your attack.
I generally imagine myself as a salmon, swimming upstream and dive head first into them. Head-shots aint ****!
plus, they/I signed the wavier. Right?
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:46 am

A spear with a good hook on it will destroy this guy. No ****, there I was at Badon Hill with my 8' hooked spear, and I popped off like 6 Gestiguiste fighters in about 1-2 minutes (they all use light tower shields) just by yanking their shields away and jamming into their guts. This is of course more of a viable battlefield tactic than a sparring tactic, but even one-on-one you can usually get a good knee/shin stab, and once your opponent is on the ground, it is all over.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Winfang » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am

Barring the whining of people on the sidelines, this video shows a great flourentine fighter, Spyn, taking on a towershield/flail fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4fHuGwygD0
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Arkin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:28 am

You really cant see the hits and his sword was always punch blocking the right way granted its a flail. But I dont get why people would boo someone so badly, I guess you hold a higher standard for great fighters and you judge them more then you think... I could careless about all that drama.

anyways

If someone has a huge shield in front of me and were line fighting (so he has to stay still.) shield kicking them so they land flat on there back then standing on the shield like a table while its on there arm is fun. they cant move because of the size of the shield and you know it hurts them standing on it like that. If there sword is trapped under there shield you can fight others from on top of the shield and he wont be able to swing at you. Even if his arms not trapped the size of the shield makes it hard to swing at you while your on it.(the guy i did this to had a strap so I dont know how well it will work on a punch shield.)

If your not line fighting just use your footwork and out move them and find your shots. Most people that use shields that big have a bad problem with leaving themselves open when fighting so they use a bigger shield to fix that instead of figuring out what they are doing wrong.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Slagar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Vids like that are why I refuse to herald. I would have called him dead, and lots of dirty names, when he probably got in blocks on pretty much all of those shots. It's just too * hard to tell what does and doesn't hit just by watching a fight, and I'm waaaay too quick to lose my cool. One thing I picked up from Physic, just assume everyone takes all their hits all the time, because otherwise I'd just sound like a jackass booing a great fighter from the sidelines.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Where and when are you encountering this guy, BC?
I havn't seen you at a practice in likea year and a half.
If you come out, I'll show you some tricks.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Black Cat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Forkbeard wrote:Where and when are you encountering this guy, BC?
I havn't seen you at a practice in likea year and a half.
If you come out, I'll show you some tricks.
FB

Some time at Chaos Wars back in 2006. I also encountered several of these guys (sans helms) at Sam Hain IV in 2007 and again at Yestare VIII earlier this year.

I'll try to make it out, but my transportation situation is no better now than it was in 2005. As you already know, I didn't show up to a single practice in 2005, (which is why my 'official' start date for actual participation in Belegarth is February 2006) and it wasn't because I didn't want to come.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bo1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

well, i am having this problem with this guy, he doesn't come to practice anymore and i never see , , ,him but he has thsis thing that i can't deal with. any solutions to this nonexistant problem would be great.

Welcome to the sarchasm. it is deep and wide.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Black Cat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:51 pm

bo1 wrote:well, i am having this problem with this guy, he doesn't come to practice anymore and i never see , , ,him but he has thsis thing that i can't deal with. any solutions to this nonexistant problem would be great.

Look, I asked about advice for fighting 'this guy' because his fighting style was (and still is) a huge cliche' and any information I can get about fighting against this style will be very valuable to me in the future when (or if) I can start getting out to practice regularly.

If you have a problem with that, then sue me. Actually, on second thought, don't. I don't want to end up losing in court like McDonalds did over that hot coffee.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dane » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 pm

If you're not practicing, no amount of advice is going to help you. Knowledge is part of the battle, and practice and execution is the other. Unless you've developed your skill set in such a way that it includes the movements and techniques necessary to beat the tower shield (and for some reason you haven't employed them on your own), no amount of telling is going to help you until you get out and work at it.

That said, usually a big shield (excepting knights and certain individuals) is compensation for poor footwork and/or poor weapon blocking. For single blue or florentine, move off the opponent's center line to create openings, or feint to his weapon side to pull his shield over, and hack or wrap the new opening.

When fighting single blue, I'm getting into the habit of baiting the opponent into a cross shot. When he throws the shot, I step in, block the shot, and grab his shield with my free hand. From there, you just manipulate the shield and strike the opening.

And kicks. Anyone that said kicks, I echo that. Coreless punch towers flop like an Italian soccer player under a good kick. If you've got two swords, stab the outside edge of the shield and hack the creamy center.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Arkin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Black Cat wrote:
bo1 wrote:well, i am having this problem with this guy, he doesn't come to practice anymore and i never see , , ,him but he has thsis thing that i can't deal with. any solutions to this nonexistant problem would be great.

Look, I asked about advice for fighting 'this guy' because his fighting style was (and still is) a huge cliche' and any information I can get about fighting against this style will be very valuable to me in the future when (or if) I can start getting out to practice regularly.

If you have a problem with that, then sue me. Actually, on second thought, don't. I don't want to end up losing in court like McDonalds did over that hot coffee.

Well when or if you start fighting again I hope you run into a guy with a strap tower shield because you just wasted all of are time. Luckily tho this is a forum so you kinda played the devils advocate. LOL Black Cat your special and if I ever see you I want to give you a hug.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby Black Cat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:11 pm

Arkin wrote:
Black Cat wrote:

Well when or if you start fighting again I hope you run into a guy with a strap tower shield because you just wasted all of are time. Luckily tho this is a forum so you kinda played the devils advocate. LOL Black Cat your special and if I ever see you I want to give you a hug.

Fine, I just won't post in the rules discussion forum anymore if that makes you guys happy. I only post there because I'm bored anyway. Just get off my *.

BTW, the info is much appreciated even though your attitudes toward me (Bo and Arkin specifically) at the end are not. I have run into plenty of coreless tower shield guys before at previous events I have made it to, and I am very confident that I will run into more than one such fighter in a single day of fighting sometime in 2009. I only wanted advice on how to fight these guys once I start meeting up with them again in the coming season.

And yes, I really do have a 102" Bandpole spear. I still need to put a shield hook on it, but it is otherwise already contructed. I'll post a picture of it in this thread or in Foamsmithing as soon as I can get access to a digital camera, that is if any of you even care to see it.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Arkin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:25 pm

I said that because I honestly think your sexy. talk all you want in the forums its nice that you like sword fighting that much. If you did go to practice I wonder how good you would be? You must have a lot of drive to be on the forums, but not come to practices. Drives very key to being good, you should try to go to practice.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby Black Cat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Arkin wrote:I said that because I honestly think your sexy. talk all you want in the forums its nice that you like sword fighting that much. If you did go to practice I wonder how good you would be? You must have a lot of drive to be on the forums, but not come to practices. Drives very key to being good, you should try to go to practice.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant 'special' in a derogatory and sarcastic way.

I do make local events, but not having a car or the license to drive one really limits how often I can do much of anything. My knowledge of how the Belegarth fighting system works is decent, (I read the BOW regularly and keep track of fighting materials and information) but my experience and skill level aren't very high. I wish I could make it to practice, but right now things are not going well for me in real-life.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran