The Next Up from Bhakdar's Academy

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

The Next Up from Bhakdar's Academy

Postby Bhakdar » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Giggles just posted an awesome list of links to instructional foam fighting tutorials ('Fighting Resources' in the skill development forum). This stuff is golden.
I am really excited that there's this wave of crave for educational material in Belegarth. It's amazing how dreams come true when you're not looking...

I've been away from the net and Midwest events for a while and am now beginning to look towards a new laptop and some stability for the first time in a while once I land a real job (my year AmeriCorps service term just closed Dec 12th).

So the point of this post is that I'd love to get back into producing training materials and may once again have resources to do so. Along with that, I'm currently open to seminar requests for 2009, especially if you can schedule close to an event. (Beornve got me out to Fest by paying my air faire in exchange for a seminar the weekend prior: I would happily do this again with any event I can swing).

All that said, I need your input:
What would you want to see in a training CD? Or in online tutorials?
In 2007 I had to charge for CDs b/c it was my full time on-the-road living. As my life scenario changes, so would the cost of CDs.
Would anyone even bother paying for a CD these days? How much would you pay?

Ralimar brought up, "this online material is good, but foam fighters sure are boring." Fair enough- what can I do to make training material enticing?

What do YOU want to learn now? What does Belegarth as a whole need to develop now? What is lacking in the current web material?

Peter has been doing some excellent adaptations of Amtgard material lately, which I resonate with, have learned from, and think are solid. Nonetheless, it seems a lot of mid to upper level fighters aren't benefiting from this at all b/c they feel it threatens to change their whole fighting style that they enjoy. While you can say "their loss" to those unreceptive, you can also say, "where do we find the balance?"

What needs elaboration that is Belegarth-specific? 12-14oz wpns, full contact, archery in melee, Edhellen broads-longs being common in a newbs' hand, etc.?

You get my drift. Before I go to the drawing board with what I can add to this education boom in the coming future, I want everyone's input. Let's hear it.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Re: The Next Up from Bhakdar's Academy

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:41 am

I know this isn't really what you were asking for, but I haven't noticed any vets openly opposing Amtgard inspired combat. Maybe it's just the area I'm in, but pretty much everyone around here will incorporate whatever they can sink they're teeth into to make them a better killing machine.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Slagar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:21 am

Honestly, I agree with Jimmy in the sense that I'm not going to ignore anything that lets me whoop * more effieciently.

That being said, Peter is not the single best fighter in Belegarth. He's up there, more so recently (post Spyn/Dread's influence), but there are Bel fighters through and through who are still farther up. I'd be interested, personally, to see some all-Bel techniques used by these fighters.

Basically, all Peter is doing is learning new stuff from new people, and then making extremely detailed media to pass it on to the rest of us. There are vets who've learned as much and more, but who haven't had the impact Peter has, simply because he's spreading his stuff around to anyone who wants to learn (to the benefit of all, don't get me wrong). I'd be interested in seeing pretty much exactly what he's doing, but from other vets. I mean, Kyrian, Galin, Shadow, Winfang, the list goes on. Belegarth has our epic fighters, and these are as good as any boffer fighters in any of the sports. I'd love to see Kyrian's lessons on florentine, and how they stack up to Peter's, etc. That's pretty much what I've been trying to hammer out of people with the threads I keep posting, "Tell us what you've learned!" Peter is, but he's not the only one who's learned things, and I'd like to see some freakin' variety.

Just my .02, and I hope it helps.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Arkin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:48 am

I guess if you mix Meleemoses and Jimmys thoughts. You should go to SKBC interview those kids. Then go and Interview the great fighters in Bele, I know you know who they are. Then Make a conclusion and comparison on how we fight differently and the advantages and disadvantages of each fighting style. That would be Crazy if you could do that. I promise I would buy the CD if you made it in depth.

for example get Kryian's florentine style and find the advantages and disadvantage in your opinion. Then take spyn and I guess.... peter and do the same thing. :devil: Then compare the 2 together and what makes each fighting style work so well. Your a pretty open minded guy so Im sure you will know how to make it interesting also which is kinda important.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Bhakdar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Hopefully I didn't come off as slighting Peter's work so much as trying to offer exactly what you guys are saying: diversification. My point was more that I haven't seen many advanced Triad, Hellhammer, or Knights of Numenor sorts of fighters at Peter's classes (and it's not b/c he doesn't whoop their asses with grace and style). I was trying to openly question, "why is that?" and what do long-term Belegarth veterans need and want to learn to keep pushing our game?

Peter is my friend and we maintain a friendly rivalry that pushes us to grow across years of experience together. Quite honestly, his form and conscious control of technique is much more advanced than mine. I just get in the flow, observe my opponents on the fly, and throw crap until things click into place. This is one example of unique dynamics amongst veterans. Peter's mental focus on conscious technique makes him a more grounded and stable field fighter. My diversity and letting go of analysis while fighting makes me more unpredictable and difficult to read, especially in dueling.

I think Peter's training classes particularly resonate with a more analytic learning style that is prevalent amongst the users of this forum. That's a plus.

So with that topic aside, if anyone has requests for what I try to brew with training material in the coming future, please throw them out here. I'm all ears.
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Derian » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:39 pm

I haven't seen your first CD, so I apologize if this has been covered, but I would like to see more instruction on footwork.

Almost everyone can agree that footwork is the cornerstone; if you have good footwork, everything else will follow in time, yet it seems there isn't too much material regarding footwork out there.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Arkin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:26 pm

Mekoot Bhakdar wrote:Hopefully I didn't come off as slighting Peter's work so much as trying to offer exactly what you guys are saying: diversification. My point was more that I haven't seen many advanced Triad, Hellhammer, or Knights of Numenor sorts of fighters at Peter's classes (and it's not b/c he doesn't whoop their asses with grace and style). I was trying to openly question, "why is that?" and what do long-term Belegarth veterans need and want to learn to keep pushing our game?

Peter is my friend and we maintain a friendly rivalry that pushes us to grow across years of experience together. Quite honestly, his form and conscious control of technique is much more advanced than mine. I just get in the flow, observe my opponents on the fly, and throw crap until things click into place. This is one example of unique dynamics amongst veterans. Peter's mental focus on conscious technique makes him a more grounded and stable field fighter. My diversity and letting go of analysis while fighting makes me more unpredictable and difficult to read, especially in dueling.

I think Peter's training classes particularly resonate with a more analytic learning style that is prevalent amongst the users of this forum. That's a plus.

So with that topic aside, if anyone has requests for what I try to brew with training material in the coming future, please throw them out here. I'm all ears.

I think peter is a great teacher and a great fighter. Most people are great fighters but not always great teachers. For example you beat Peter in the tourny at Octoberfest meaning your a better fighter, right? Or it could just be you were more on at that moment, But you cant explain perfectly what gave you that extra benefit in the fight. I think if people kept a more open mind and accept things as they are in there fighting. We all could tell what does and doesnt work, Or why and why not it works. But EVERYONE that gets good fast always thinks there the new s-h-i-t on the block. if they will admit it or not, I know I did at one time, But then I realized I had a lot to learn in life and in sword fighting.

So thats why I think peters been able to effect everyone in a positive way. He started teaching people that werent at first amazing fighters, but they had the drive because they wanted to learn. And Peters fighting style is very solid and he understands it so he can easily teach it to anyone that will listen. An now after he has proven it works in are sport. A lot more people are open to listen to what he has to say.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby Wisp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:46 pm

It seems to me it would be more difficult to teach "get into the flow and throw crap until it clicks" on video vs. Peters offerings. I'm not sure I'd purchase a CD on this stated method.

Solid fundamentals is whats going to revolutionize Bel/Dag sports and bring it up out of the days of closely guarded weapons tech and trade secrets. Thats one of the goofy things about Dag that I dislike. Bel on the other hand seems much more open minded about teaching and learning which makes it the superior of the two branches by my estimate.

As this trend continues, I expect to start seeing a radical shift in thought towards weapons and equipment tech.

Once Bel loosens up on it's stabbing policy, the game is going to really take off and lead the pack. Thats my guess anyway.

Will
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby Bhakdar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Derian, thanks for your constructive input. I agree that footwork is often overlooked. The most basic aspects of footwork like dodge instead of block low are covered in my CD, but it is definitely a topic that lacks video footage of fighters with gear demonstrating real integrated footwork and range control.

If anyone wants to give me input on what they want to learn in a training video like Derian did, I'm still all ears.

If anyone would like to understand my teaching style more, I'd be happy to elaborate in another thread. I could also give a lot more insight on what I mean about 'flow' and how I feel it's an important step that comes to advanced fighting but only after a person has solidified their basics physically and mentally. (Also, preferably, in another thread)
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Wisp » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:08 am

Yes, I would actually like to hear/read what you have to say about this. I feel I already have a very solid understanding of basics and would like to see how you integrate flow into method.

Thanks in advance.

Will
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby Slagar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:12 am

Alright, since my first post obviously wasn't what you wanted to hear, let me give you some specifics I'd like to learn about.

#1: High end weapon-building
The sword doesn't make the fighter, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt to be swinging a well-made weapon. There's plenty of love out there for good-looking weapons, and polearm/red fighters have sort of banded together on this subject to the benefit of their weapons. I'd like to see a couple different in-depth tutorials on how to make good blue swords for sword/shield fighters. At Closer this year, my sword failed about an hour in (after heavy use, not it's fault), and I ended up borrowing one of Peter's blue/green swords. I use the best sword Edhellen makes (IMHO), and I always use their low-profile stabbing tips. With the best sword money can buy, I can tell you that it didn't even come close to Peter's. I'd love to see a full-detail rundown on how he makes them. He's probably not the only guy out there who makes a good custom sword, so I want to hear from others, too.

#2: Lefty-Fu 2.0
This is purely and unashamedly self-interest, but I want to see our sport's big lefties weigh in on all the same things that the righties have. Footwork, shieldwork, punch-blocking, wrap shots, the works. Derek Roth in Amtgard did an SKBC vid on this, but, as good as it was, it left a lot out. I tried to do this with a thread in this forum back when I was still relatively new on the boards, and I didn't get a whole lot out of it. I'd like to see someone do a "fundamentals for lefties" vid, much the same way Peter did a "fundamentals of my fighting style" vid just recently. I'd like this vid, in my ideal little world, to include tape of s/b lefties fighting other styles, notably s/b, florentine, red, polearm. This tape would have the full workup, slow-mo, commentary, a breakdown of what the lefty in question did, and why.

Those are the two that spring readily to mind. If this is the kind of input you're looking for, I'm sure I could scrape up more ideas. Again, I hope this is useful for you.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Bhakdar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Slagar: That's totally the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks. :wizzard:

I concur you've brought up two more topics that its hard to find lots of depth on.

Are you a lefty yourself? I think I know who you are but if you describe yourself physically I might match your face to your name. Take no offense here, merely my time in Illinois fighting has been sparse in the last 1.5 years.

Wisp: I'll start another thread on this forum explaining more about 'flow experience' and relate that to some of my personal perspective on ideal fighting.

Keep the input about what media can export comin'. So far I've got footwork, lefty-fu, custom construction, florentine, and flow experience. All great topics.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Slagar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:33 pm

No worries, I'm still fairly new to the sport, just passed the two-year recently. The last time I bumped into you was at 'Fest this year, when I took 3rd in the S/B tourney. I was the tall (6'3") lefty in all black with the ponytail. Physic bumped me out in the match immediately before you two fought. I'm in the vids of the tourney, if you're still drawing a blank.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Bhakdar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Nope, that's exactly who I thought you were.

Congrats on joining Hydra- that's what threw me for a loop in your profile.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Slagar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Thanks, I'm really pleased with the choice myself. A great group, and I'm glad they're willing to have me.

I've got another topic for you. One thing I've noticed in your fighting style, and that you've commented on in posts, is that too few people in belegarth play rough (shield contact, kicks, grappling) and most of the ones who do rough-house tend to do it wrong. You are very good at shield kicks in particular, when fighting florentine. An in-depth tutorial on the rough stuff allowed in our game would be something very new, and potentially very helpful. This is also something that Belegrim in particular are uniquely positioned to take advantage of, since ours is the only game (for the most part) where rough play is allowed and encouraged (Dag it's legal, but in my experience it's commonly avoided).

My .02, since you've asked.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:42 am

Agreed, I always lose a leg when I shield kick.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Bhakdar » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:27 am

Yes, groovy. I love this topic and would love to do more footage on it. In particular, I think Peter and I could cooperatively do a vid for this that'd be great for showing things from both medium size and tall guy perspectives.

Let's lay some detail on kicking here:

1) Kicking is effective usually only if you're in range, its as a surprise, and if you actually set yourself up to strike your opponent (use a long-broad to long wpn)
2) Fortunately, no one does it, so its often a surprise
3) To be effective as a combo (kick-strike), it takes muscle memory, timing, and speed practice just like any other (its harder to get this practice b/c its hard to get a pole to hold a shield or convince a fighter to let you kick them 30 times in a row)
4) So to practice, you can go by kicking air imagining how you'll open their shield and striking the opening, or you could hang a shield from a pole

Sure, you've gotta kick 'quickly' to not get your leg cut, but perhaps the most effective thing I've learned on kicking is to use it as a closing distance tactic whether you manage to land your intended kick-strike combo or not (by bringing your foot down in front close enough to your opponent that they can't get to your leg or hip that just stepped at them b/c your shield is face-to-face w/ theirs)

Righty vs. Righty
1) Stand in guard, shield foot forward: Get inside max range!
2) Kick forward snapping from the knee w/ your swordfoot pushing their shield

At this moment with foot extended you can go a few ways:
A) Pushing their shield to their inside (in front of their weapon hand), throw a straight hack or wrap to their shield side ribs/hip.
B) Push the shield down on their knee, opening an easy leg shot against their front pinned leg (conservative) or exposing their shoulder to a drop shot mid-kick (might simo to their frantic high-cross, but you've got your shield to pin their swordhand)
C) Don't bother swinging until you've planted your foot (following your kick) just beyond their front foot (face-to-face range) so your shield is in front of their wpn/face and your swordhand easily goes around their shield for a solid butt-wrap

Lefty vs Righty probably isn't advised b/c you open up so much same side. As a florentinist, however, especially lefty dominant, kicking is totally unexpected against most shield fighters. It functions just as a stab to pin their shield would, but b/c you're using a leg and not your arm for the pin, you get even more to swing at as soon as you jar their shield into their body. Swing the lefty chop to their hip or more conservatively to avoid simos, keep your guard stable on left, leg chop right.

If you're a lefty with good timing, use the left foot kick as a lure. A semi-slow kick begs them to swing for your hip. If your guard is ready you can easily turn wrist out to block their horizontal shot and then simply drop shot their arm/shoulder/hip.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:11 am

I like a using a small round strap with down-stick and a medium blue; so whenever someone rushes me or I get in a bad spot I can usually **** somebuddy up if I kick their shield side, closing so I can get in their space and drop a shot with the down stick. Or try getting in real close and using your knee to hit their shield. Hacky-sack is a great way to train for this! <3
Last edited by Remdawg Killionaire on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 am

While I think that well produced training material could be used for recruiting (stick it on the main page or something); if you're gonna do that, you might as well make a video specifically for recruitment purposes. The amtgard forums had a kind of contest to see who could produce the best recruitment video. People donated to a pot, and the results were... kinda weaksauce IMO. But it wasn't a bad idea.

Anyway, my favorite instructional video is this one. It's well edited, well scripted, and has several unscripted sequences so you can see in practice what works and what fails. It's not the typical camera on a tripod on a windy day with a dozen nerds fidgeting in the background that is far too common.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Bhakdar » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:19 am

Yea, I really dig the style. Lots of thought and preparation beforehand very apparent. Certainly never been done b4 with Belegarth but would be great. They did a solid job matching teams and I imagine those people had fought with each other a lot before...
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby bo1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:44 pm

these are my thoughts,

1, we have tons of awesoem fighters in bel. Anytime you get a good athlete that works on technique they quickly climb the ranks to the top

2. although these awesome fighters are very good, very few of them know how to teach, there in lies the problem.

3. the reason peter is effective = he can teach + he a good fighter. It is kinda like his job, ya know, like a career.

Also it matters what physical tools the fighter has. i will never be able to fight like bhakdar, ever. He is like 9 feet long, with long arms to match. i am unable to do what he does, so learning advanced techniques from him will be a challenge. i can still learn the basics from him, but emulating him in a tourney format will get me killed.

same goes for other top teir fighters, kenny for instance. helped my defence 3 years ago tremendously, but i cannot do what he does offencively. so i was having a hard time hitting people.

I am very into what peter is doing, why? because i can do what he does both offencively and defencively. Is he the best? no probibly not, but he is better than i and i can learn from him the best, so that is where my time is spent.

Physic is also a top tier fighter, he has good technique and i learn well from him. Like Peter, i can repeat what he does effectively. so i use him for help as well, i only wish we had more time to spend together* sniff*, guess i am moving to peroria. kidding

I think the learning process is more about finding people that can teach basics to the masses. Then you have to find a tier-3 vet fighter with similar physical tools, then you can really learn what it is they do. that is the process for me atleast. although i must admit i have a long road to go.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Once the basics of technique are learned, it is up to the individual fighter to best learn how to apply those tools. This is done, at least by me, through the process of creative visualization, then application of technique. Then finally adjustment of the tech till it works effectivly.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Polska89 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:00 pm

I like them tips of course Im gonna use em... lol and bc I also have to teach ppl its going to be very useful
Two, idk if u guys went through this, but when you shield kick, try to raise your shield into hit arm or hit upper part of the shield, where hit hitting hand is, it prevents him long enough to lay a hit on u, unless u give him warning enough to lay a sky hook on you, also watch if he drops the arm bc he can lay a leg hit on ya, but if u get the shield high enough and parallel enough the sword hit wont land and you will lay the kick into him, lol, then go for a leg slot slant or a side stab, what ever is available for you.
In the middle ages, people took potions for their ailments.
In the 19th century they took snake oil.
Citizens of today's shiny, technological age are too modern for that.
They take antioxidants and extract of cactus instead.

Barrs GoldenHammer
One of the Cold...One of the Mighty
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 08 Jul 2004
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Shield, Sword & Spear

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:36 am

Slagar wrote:Thanks, I'm really pleased with the choice myself. A great group, and I'm glad they're willing to have me.

I've got another topic for you. One thing I've noticed in your fighting style, and that you've commented on in posts, is that too few people in belegarth play rough (shield contact, kicks, grappling) and most of the ones who do rough-house tend to do it wrong. You are very good at shield kicks in particular, when fighting florentine. An in-depth tutorial on the rough stuff allowed in our game would be something very new, and potentially very helpful. This is also something that Belegrim in particular are uniquely positioned to take advantage of, since ours is the only game (for the most part) where rough play is allowed and encouraged (Dag it's legal, but in my experience it's commonly avoided).

My .02, since you've asked.

Just a note, my introductory sword/shield fighting video series (on YouTube! Channel is DagorhirFighting) features lessons on shield kicks, shield bashes, checks, and the like. The advanced fighting video, which was not a video tutorial as much as video footage of a fighting demonstration/lecture/discussion we did at Ragnarok, shows a number of more complex shield kicks and some discussion of them, but the audio is kind of crappy. I did a more in-depth and comprehensive video in August (not up yet, should be ready in about a week) featuring a few particular techniques and variations of them; among the stuff I discuss and demonstrate I have some shield kick techniques, as well as a takedown that works against a gimped fighter (I learned it from Spyn, an Amtgard fighter of all people). I will post links to it as soon as it becomes available.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Slagar » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:35 am

Wasn't meant as a slight to Dag fighters, or anything. Just my experience with Midwest fighters of all groups. If full contact is allowed in the rules, there are going to be fighters in any game that will take advantage of it (specifically the good ones), but it's just much more prevalent with Bel fighters in my neck of the woods. No offense meant.

I'll be interested to see the new vids, Magnus. They sound very promising.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 pm

No offense taken, I agree with your assessment. Some Dagorhir fighters are just not as rough as is allowed (or even advisable.) For whatever reason, that kind of fighting is more popular in Belegarth.

I will let you know when my new stuff is up.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Bhakdar » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 am

I'm intrigued by the sentiment Bo raised.

While I agree you can learn a lot of details 1 on 1 from someone whose body composition and style resonates you, that won't teach you first hand to beat the extremes: a gangle freak like Soth or a compact bolt of energy like Kazi.

You're going to fully optimize yourself by fighting against advanced types from all walks of style and body type. While resonance with a mentor can advance you rapidly, diversity and adaptability outside your camp and comfort zone is a key to personal mastery. Practice the process of learning to defeat your most challenging opponents.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby bo1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:52 pm

ok so a bit of help then please.

yes i am much less successfull against top tier fighters. but conversly i am rarely upset by a lower teir fighter. i guess i am consistent in my aproach and fighting level. by being very compact and deliberate, i do not get beat by fighters below my skill very often at all. But i also don't upset fighters above my skill level very often either. I am sure my methods lead to this, but i am unsure of how i would go about changing this. thoughts, other than fighting tough opponets, cause that is kinda obvious.

There are other factors as well. I honestly don't have many top tier skilled vets near me, that has a great effect on skill. possibly the largest effect of them all. i mean you( bhakdar) got to train with peter( freak), falcor(great lefty), and tons of other great iowa fighters. The closests good fighters around here are 2.5 hours away, south. i travel when i can but only recently have i had a vet at practice( kyrian) . Don't get me wrong, my realm is good, we have good people, and getting better all the time. But we don't have anyone that 1v1 can do what bhakdar/peter/falcor/physic did to me at octfest. i was like a toy for you guys to play with.

i am curently reading some books on sports training. i think the flow books will be good to get, also i have the 7 or whatever# habits of effective people on the radar. i have done a bunch of reading on useing all sences to emerse yourself in the moment. works great for billards, the sounds and feeling of the table. the smell of the chalk. the sound of a well struck ball. all that stuff works for fighting, but i think that it is harder to use because fighting is such a reaction based game, it is harder for me to apply. pool being a slow game it is easier. Flow sounds like it would work better for the pace we are at in this game, atleast that is my opinion at this time.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Arkin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:35 pm

So what books help you work on your 7 habits or whatever you call it Bo? I agree with you completely, I have noticed from playing videogames my reaction time has gone up a great deal which has given me fast reflexes when I need them in battle. But sometimes I will make stupid mistakes or miscalculations when I am not thinking or get to in the moment to think about what I need to do to win. But thats why we have that great old toolbox. Thanks a head of time for the answer Bo.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby bo1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:44 pm

no, it isn't like a made them up. that is the title of the book. i am reasonably sure it is the "7 habaits of highly effective people". if that ain't it, it is something very similar.

i am going to barrow/steal at knife point the book when a friend is done with it.

arkin, i would assume then that you are more likely to upset a higher skilled fighter than myself. i would put your skill par above mine, but we are pretty close. in ten fights i would doubt either of us would get 7-8 wins. my guess is that the more reckless a person is the more chance of doing something randomly effective.

perhaps, as i think a stated, my approach is leading to this out come. i may have a flaw in my thinking or my visualization of my fighting. bdar will jump in soon and set me straight i am sure.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Arkin » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Sorry thats what I was saying... I should have been more clear. Well again thanks for the book.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby Slagar » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:46 pm

One thing I've noticed with me is that I tend to get beat by the same type of people, without near as much regard to their skill levels. For example, I tend to pick apart flowing, speedy, mobile fighters with relative ease, with only a few exceptions (you know who you are), but as soon as I show up against a patient, analytical fighter, especially ones with good stances and weapon-blocking, my percentage tends to plummet. I have some ideas as to why this is, but I'm still struggling to find ways to fix it. So far my only solution has been to single them out at practices, and square off with the best of them whenever possible. This is helping, but the difference is still there. Thoughts on why this is, and the best ways to fix it?

We really just need to bite the bullet and set up an "Ask Bhakdar" column. ;)
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Arkin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:37 pm

It might be your bad quality are over lapping your good qualities. Sir kenny posted some pretty good info on this in the unconventional wisdom thread.

-

Sir Kenny post:
Force your opponent to fight in a manner that gives you the advantage.
Cut off the options of your opponent.
Consider giving your opponent an opportunity he can not refuse.
When the way is clear, strike.
Concentrate on having less vulnerabilities, not more spectacular victories.

First focus on removing your own weaknesses. Then, wait for your opponent to reveal his weaknesses. If he does not initially reveal any weaknesses, tempt him to reveal a weakness. If temptation does not work, force him into revealing a weakness. If he reveals no weaknesses, then try to position him as advantageously as possible near your friends.

-

So if your good you will have a couple shots you love to do. If your a beast you will have a mix of shot/blocks/footwork you love to do. Also sometimes random acts or unexpected shots work because they dont expect them or cant understand whats going on.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby Arkin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:19 pm

Were is bhakdar when you need the final say it is his Academy isnt it. :frog:
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Postby Bhakdar » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:25 pm

I'm celebrating holidays. 40% of swordfighting is socializing and getting kershnockered, you know!

Bo, you're a solid fighter, exceptional especially for how long you've been fighting. If you have any major flaws in your approach, it's taking yourself a little too lightly. Believe in your butt kicking and it will be better.

While I totally understand the difficulty of advancement by people on your par to train with... Well, Peter and Falkor and I got good by fighting each other a lot, video taping it, analyzing each other and being forced to develop new edge on each other constantly while we were all on a pretty similar par.

So the complaint is you have no one to train with who is a more advanced fighter b/c you are one of the leading folks in your realm. This is very common for up and coming groups with a few fighters that go to all the nationals they can. The solution, as best as I can figure, is to train anyone and everyone in your realm that you can to beat you as consistently as possible. You will know your own flaws through and through, force improvement out of yourself and the others who have the potential to work to upper levels in their fighting. If you've got someone around to teach, you never have an excuse for not bettering yourself.

Sure, everything takes time. Balance with handicaps as necessary. Single blue in your realm, or go goofy hand w/ a punch shield. You can diversify yourself. You will become a better fighter by teaching others. Teach others until they're good enough to challenge you, and continue the process.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby bo1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:07 pm

good, then i have most of what you suggest on lock down. i train half of practice with single blue lefty. i cross train alot lately, i dropped 25 lbs in the last 2 months. So really i just need some more time. I have been fighting for just 4 years now, where does that put me on the developement side? i guess most of the people i want to compete against are fighting for 6 or more years. so i think you are spot on with the time thing.

well everything but taking myself lightly. I just have a problem with being the smartest retard, or the toughest midget. It seems misplaced for me. but yes i think a more assertive aproach to fighting would be helpful.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training