Ragnarok Advanced Sword and Shield video

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ragnarok Advanced Sword and Shield video

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:56 pm

The follow-up to the multi-part introductory sword and shield fighting video is now on Youtube:

(the other parts are given as video responses)

This was an hour-long discussion/demonstration session I and a few other fighters held at Ragnarok. It's a little unpolished, but I think people will be able to find it useful as a jumping-off point for more advanced fighting technique.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Re: Ragnarok Advanced Sword and Shield video

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:45 am

Any thoughts/comments? We'd really be interested to hear suggestions for future improvements as we refine our video series.
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby bo1 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:49 pm

I noticed that in the video your crew almost exclusively throw high crosses. i think a larger shot selection would be good for newer people to see.
Last edited by bo1 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby gosta » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Bo, I was thinking the same thing. I don't know that I have ever seen so many high crosses thrown in such a short amount of time.

Otherwise, it was good to see some different sword and board stances/styles.
gosta
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2008
Realm: Rhun
Unit: CoTH
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board

Postby p_quick » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:37 am

magnus,

Good stuff,

some of the things you are talking about, like stressing the weapon block and being aware of your foot work i'm in agreement with (mostly). I think it is awesome that you guys teach classes like that, i actually sat with Spyn and Ed the Dread off to the side and watched that class. it is also good to show off your secret shots, shield bouncing, baiting etc.. And the stress to "Try anything" is great. We will never learn new things without first trying these new things.

Bad stuff,
The audio is kind of a problem for people who aren't as interested in foamfighting as you and I, I think what will help this is for you and your crew to have a game plan, and a main teacher, not always for the whole class but at least for the different sections of the class. When each teacher is talking over eachother and addressing things at the same time it can be overwelming to the observer.
but from there all the high crosses, spins, and hunching are pretty painfull to watch. But that is just differences in the styles of fighting.
If you watch the videos, you stress some things like an A frame weapon block, then Evais shows how to block a high cross instead of using a weapon block he uses the most inefficent way of blocking the shot possible, and returning with a very low percentage shot. So i guess what i'm saying is, be consistant with what you stress at the beginning of the class, and try to stick to that. (now i'm not saying the evais's shot is never going to be a correct shot, i'm just advising you not to move in that direction for the class so you don't confuse your students).

So i know this post was pretty negative but I'm just trying to give you the critical feedback i think you are after. So please don't be discouraged by anything i said. We are both trying to spred ideas through our games so we need to help each other. :)

If you want to put up the recent vids from my class in madison please do and post a link to the thread you make on the Dag board i'd love to read what people have to say (i would do this myself but they don't let me post on that board)

Keep on Teaching
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Glendor » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:48 am

I thought that the videos were very helpfull in making me understand counterattacks. Also they taught me some new shots that i have already expanded on. Although I am pretty new that is my opinion
Glendor
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2007
Realm: Thorum
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:44 pm

I hadn't noticed the high cross stuff. I don't throw them in combat, not sure why I did there. It's something I have been stressing in my recent training.

Peter, thanks a lot for your comments, I agree with them pretty much wholeheartedly. The video was really just an afterthought, after all. I will definitely incorporate your suggestions into the next one we make.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training