Spyn's Basics

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Spyn's Basics

Postby Winfang » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 am

Originally posted on E-Sam so I swiped it with Spyn's permission. The original thread can be found here.
http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... 5&start=15

1. Positioning

A. Grip = modified saber, turn wrist out. It is very important to have the correct grip. It makes learning everything else so much easier.

B. Stance = Feet positioning, Keep knees bent at all times. Arm positioning is the most important but will be covered by basic block strike.

There are two ways to stand

1. Sword foot forward.
2. Off foot forward. Goofy footed as some people call it

C. Guard = Positioning of the sword

There are 4 major guards

1.Denial Guard. ala sword held straight up, tip slightly to opponent... Closing outside or inside off to attacks by placing a heavy guard there
2.Bait Guard. ala sword held parallel to the ground and away from the body. This stance is used to bait your opponents into predictable openers based on sword height from the ground.
3.Ranging Guard...Sword pointed at opponent held away from your body. This stance forces the opponent to deal with sword before you can throw a normal opener ...also used to maneuver or position your opponent by changing the angle at which your sword is pointed at him
4.Open Guard...arm is relaxed and sword is pointed down This stance is used to draw a opponent in or to close the distance, by appearing to be out of position

2. The 10 Shots = These are the shots we show people how to throw correctly. They are more to know correct form and terminology when I am referring to a certain shot before any other training can begin. Not all shots are created equal but they all have a time and a place to be used.

A. Five basic flat wraps = Outside Flat wrap, Rising wrap aka scoop shot, Shoulder wrap, Crossing Flat wrap, Rising cross aka reverse scoop. These are the most basic of the wraps, pretty much a must learn first before anything else. Practice these ALOT
B. The High cross = what most people throw wrong. Leaves allot open and is over used ... ala the flat high cross is the proper name / form.
C. The Slot Shot = A good lead or a good repost after a block to the outside or inside from a medium range...usually thrown for shoulder or high chest areas
D. Hacking / chopping shot = usually a shot thrown after a parry when in close, to maximize speed and still keep a good guard.
E. Quick Stab = Usually at lower torso or shoulder pocket, one of the quickest attacks
F. Hook Stab = Just that, a stab that hooks in, making it harder to read and block

4. Blocking and Reposting
A. Don’t over-block
B. Turn the torso ... don’t reach with the hands when learning
C. Raise and lower center of gravity to block and riposte
D. Economics of motion = The less sword travel the better

5. Fakes
A. Feints = Using your sword to Draw/move your opponent or their sword out of position
B. Stutters = Using your footwork to Draw/move your opponent or their sword out of position
C. Body Fakes = Using your body to Draw/move your opponent or their sword out of position
D. Baiting = Using stance and positioning to draw an opponent into a predictable opener or series of shots with a easy riposte
E. Reading = Using all your skills to guess/predict what the opponent will do next or what they will do if presented with various shots or openings

6. After these skills are practiced and burned to memory then and only then begin playing block strike. Many people view block strike as learning form or how to hit people. Block-strike was invented as a way to teach reading skills. The secondary effect of learning reading skills and training so close is that your static defense will improve along with parrying skills. That’s why the two targets are always on opposite sides of the body. Drills at this point in your career are the most important things you can do. I teach many drills but most your cannot convey over text.

Useing the wrist rollies for forearm strength or dynaflex for your wrist is also something good for you.

Thats the basic order we start with

Spyn
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Re: Spyn's Basics

Postby p_quick » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:33 pm

everyone should read this
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Yeah, but they won't see your post until they see the OP. So, your efforts are in vain!

Seriously, though, this is more or less exactly what I teach new fighters. I agree that it is very useful as a reference for new fighters to keep everything straight, and for more experienced fighters who hope to teach this stuff to newer fighters.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Skitterzz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Spyn is beast.

:goblin:
Militia Division II; First Sergeant, Infantry, Archer.
----------------------------------------
VAZI President/Death-squad Sergeant: Columbus, OH
Skitterzz
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2003
Realm: Militia Div II
Unit: Militia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board/Spear.

Postby Kneuggie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Because it's never a bad thing to Necro the basics...

Being new, I feel as though I've developed some bad habits, mostly from applying fencing techniques where quite frankly I don't think they really apply.

Is there any good videos that cover Spyn's Basics, or something that can suffice? I really need to get my fundamentals down right. A lot of what I'm doing now just plain feels wrong.

More specifically the parts on footwork, and guards.
It's not about how big your stick is, it's how you use it!
Kneuggie
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 27 Jan 2011
Realm: Isle of Sluagh
Unit: Ravenous
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board, Poles

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:28 pm

A lot of good technique feels somewhat unnatural, or everyone would automatically be a good swordfighter (or at least foamfighter).

If you can get to an event where Peter is teaching his Back to Basics class, that's what you need to do. It's great for that sort of thing. I don't know if there's any video of it anywhere, though.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tyrieal Isenguard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 am

I have all the class notes from the two sword/back to basics drills that covers these shots. Also you can find the videos explaining these shots on youtube.
Tyrieal Isenguard
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 29 Jun 2004
Realm: None
Unit: No Quarter
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Florentine
Single Blue

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Said videos (technically from Brennon but Spyn's in them:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrennonEH
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Spyn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Its my material, he just provided the camera and minimal editing.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Postby Brennon EH » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am

Spyn wrote:Its my material, he just provided the camera and minimal editing.

Most of the basics are pretty similar regardless of who is teaching them, which was the goal; create a series of videos that standardize the disparate terms and ways of explaining what we are all doing anyway. You and I have very different styles, but the basics are all largely the same.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Good to know.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Sir_Mel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 am

I think Spyn's might be more basic-er and therefore better for teaching to people. I also hear he has a better PR team too. :D

Evidence: I have yet to hear of a widely used "Dragon Grip"...
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training