Aggressive Shieldwork

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Aggressive Shieldwork

Postby Devaryn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 pm

I'd like to get some input from others who use their shields aggressively to post some of their favorite techniques.

Now I'm not talking about simply bashing people, knocking them over, sticking a punch shield in someone's face, etc. I'm talking about utilizing the shield to augment your attacks without necessarily hurting your defensive capabilities.

For myself, I've found a few tricks that have lead to significant success, but it's not nearly as expansive as I'd like.

Here's a few moves that I currently have in my toolbag (assuming righty vs. righty). Both assume using a strap shield and a weapon-side foot forward stance, rather than the traditional and more defensive shield-side foot forward stance:

1) Throw a quick mid-level shot to your opponent's shield side. If he moves his shield over even a few inches in reaction to the shot, you step toward him and do a quick and tight left hook with the side of your shield to catch right behind the edge of his shield. You then pull your shield back toward your chest, pulling your opponent's shield away from his body, while at the same time doing a mid-to-high slot into his now exposed chest/stomach. If your opponent doesn't move his shield, make a more exaggerated feint on his shield side to try to create that opening. The result of this move should be a very quick shot/feint-shield hook-slot that leaves your opponent not only dead but demoralized because you ripped his shield away from his body with your arm strength.

2) Start from an exaggerated triangle defense, with your shield angled on the left and the side edge pointing more toward your opponent than usual. Your sword should be angled the same way on your right side, ready to block any crossover attempt. Feint a quick crossover, and if your opponent rolls his shield across his body in expectation to block your crossover, you step in and punch the edge of your shield into the side of his shield, aiming toward his weapon-hand armpit. This exposes the shield side of his body to a good wrap shot. If executed properly, you can twist the crossover feint right into the wrap shot without interruption, with your shield punch happening right in between the two attacks. If you hit hard and fast enough with your shield, you'll not only move his shield (since he was doing a crossover block anyway, this uses his momentum against him), but also trap his weapon-arm with his own shield.

3) This has been met with questions about safety, but I feel that if my shield edge is padded sufficiently then there's no problem. Basically you use this anytime someone tries to do a wide wrapshot to your shield side and you can get the jump on their timing. As soon as they begin their shot, step in and punch with your shield edge into their elbow socket/bicep/armpit/shoulder. This stops their shot dead in its tracks, usually knocks them back a step, and you can get in close and kill them.

As you may have noticed, these are all moves based on the assumption of your opponent's move. As a result they usually work wonders on beginners and intermediate fighters, but have to be used carefully against advanced fighters.

Check out these Hammaborg Viking Shield videos. Not all of it translates, but a surprising amount might.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWSTx0tZHCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8SRaa33otU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNBc7ewusQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXPujfwQJUg&feature=related

Also, Magnus addresses this in two of his videos, which are great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttIi47k7KE&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG3heIQtW6c&feature=channel
Sir Devaryn "Dev" Sulynari

ABF
Knight of Taurendor
Devaryn
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: Taurendor
Unit: ABF

Re: Aggressive Shieldwork

Postby Kossyo » Sun May 10, 2009 9:27 pm

A technique I have found to be great is to get close enough to pin your opponent's weapon into their chest (if you are taller than them you can get an easy back shot this way too by reaching over their shoulder)
You are going to need two hits to break my shield.......... you're not getting them.
Kossyo
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Mon May 11, 2009 12:42 pm

You've listed all my bread'n'butter shield maneuvers. The only other shield maneuvers I use with any regularity are:

a) Punch an edge towards the sword-side of their shield, but not with any real conviction. The purpose is to get them to overcompensate while trying to get their shield back out to where it goes, at which point you can throw an inside stab.

b) Kick/start a kick towards their shield at shield-side low to convince them to pull their shield hard to sword-side. Optional edge punch to sword-side of shield to keep it there, outside wrap for the kill.

If I think of any more later, I'll post about 'em.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Slagar » Wed May 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I want in too! Anyone here have some good shield-work tips for righty vs. lefty?

A couple I like (using a 28" strap round) are:

1. With a sword block solidly pre-placed, edge the sword-side edge of their shield, to pin it to them, then immediately roll your weight to the right, and throw the cross to their shield shoulder, while sliding your edge over to your sword side to close off the sword-side chop.

2. Edge the top, shield-side quarter of their shield to push it that direction, while simultaneously throwing the chop to their exposed hips/kidneys.

Both of these are very basic, and only work well if done quickly and aggressively on an opponent who isn't already waiting for it. That being said, if you work them in well, and practice them, they're money.

Anybody got anything better that they throw on mirror-handed fighters? I'd love to hear it.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Dane » Wed May 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Shield check to the outer rim of the shield, stab to the chewy center.

I'd throw it on you, Slagar, if we could stab each other worth ****.

For opposite-handed fighters:

1) When your opponent inevitably throws the high cross, receive it with a weapon block and jam your shield edge into his or her armpit. Choose how you want to kill him/her. Started working this a lot at Beltaine, and it was both hilarious and effective.

2) Edge and pin your opponent's inside shield edge as you step in. Bend at the knees and throw an * wrap. Alternately, check their shield hard and step even with or past their shield foot. Hack something.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Derian » Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 pm

You coming to Mel, Dane? We need to spar.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Slagar » Wed May 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Dane wrote:I'd throw it on you, Slagar, if we could stab each other worth ****.

I blame that * swim move you favor. If you'd stop cranking the hell out of my arm, I'd stab you more.

Also, what Derian said. I've got shiny new techniques to try on you. They work on Horus, who's your stunt double, so it's promising.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby p_quick » Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 pm

dane are you going to mel?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Derian » Wed May 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Dane. Are you coming to Mel?
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Arrakis » Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 pm

I wonder if Dane is going to Mel...
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Derian » Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 pm

DANE
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby p_quick » Wed May 13, 2009 10:23 pm

D A N E
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu May 14, 2009 11:03 am

So Dane,

A duck walks into a bar. I don't remember the rest of the joke but your mothers a *.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby bo1 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:32 pm

hey dane,

yolu walk into a bar, there is your mother the *. sorry bud it is just a joke, your mom is probibly a nice lady.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Nibenon » Fri May 15, 2009 8:04 am

because i use a smaller than normal stap heater (about 20" width) i have become extremly agressive with my shield work, virtually all the mentioned methods i use regularily, but one that i havent heard is combo-ing shield kicks with ur shield work. that is something that i do more than agressive shield work alone, just kicking the **** out of the lower corners of peoples shields and working a shield hook/grab/punch to open them further for the sweet buttery inside... =]
Leader of Valrim, Chapter of The Lowlands
Squire of The Lowlands
Nibenon
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2006
Realm: The Lowlands
Unit: Rangers of Valrim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, flourentine

Postby Dane » Sat May 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Totally didn't make it to Mel; I was in St. Louis. I'm planning on day-tripping Spring War, maybe Wed-Fri if I can finagle the time off. See you guys there!
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training