Keeping your skill

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Keeping your skill

Postby Arkin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:54 pm

So Last practice I was thinking about my skill level compared to when I started. I know I have gotten better and that I am a solid fighter, but I know right now that I NEED to go back to my basics. I fall for some stupid shots and fakes that I shouldnt and my wraps are not as effective. Which could be because I dont do as many fakes as when I started. Obviously people will remember you for your wraps if you do them a lot and I do. But I still know I am slipping in some areas of my game and I just cant tell were I am slipping.

One thing I do know is my wrist has been getting weaker. I use to base all my shots in my wrist which made it hurt so I changed. Now I use more body mechanics (thanks to calibus's video a amtgard knight.) and choke up higher on my sword which has given me more control.(the thing peter does.) But thats what has been weakening my wrist, because I didnt use it as much as when I pommel fought. The question I have is how can you maintain your skill and strength when your trying to learn and evolve as a fighter?

basically, I know I have a long way to go to reach my prime, but I cant be forgetting my basics or I wont ever reach my prime.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Re: Keeping your skill

Postby Devaryn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 pm

I'd say it sounds like you've spent so much time trying to adopt other styles that you've neglected to develop your own, at the expense of the foundational stuff you used to do when you started.

If you suddenly change the way you do things and mimic someone who's teaching you, your body might not be quite used to it. I think learning is better when you try to adapt things you study to your own style, rather than try to become a chameleon.

Also, if you are overly concerned about doing things "right" based on a style you're studying, you might be thinking too much instead of just going with instinct and feeling natural.

As you learn new stances, moves, grips, etc., try to add them to your style slowly, in a way that feels comfortable and right for your own individual technique. I've seen plenty of people with great basic shots, who then go and learn some nifty tricks, and they spend so much time practicing and using those tricks that they forget how good they were with their other stuff, and they become a more one-dimensional fighter who can then be exploited.
Sir Devaryn "Dev" Sulynari

ABF
Knight of Taurendor
Devaryn
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: Taurendor
Unit: ABF

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:03 pm

I agree with everything above and add one more thing: Exercise. Wrist getting weaker? Wrist rollers work wonders. To reach your maximum potential you need both skill and physical prowess. Do not neglect your exercise.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Physic » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:28 am

I believe there are 4 fundamental elements in fighting. Here they are in order of importance.

Body
Movement
Technique
Mind

All of these weave together to form your personal skill level. If any of these are lacking they will bring down the others and you will not be fighting at your full potential. You should always be evaluating each of these through your fighting career. Whenever you find one that is falling behind that is when you need to reevaluate your training.

Body- This is the base of all fighting. If your body is not prepared to learn movement and technique you will never reach a skill level where the mental elements come into play. Physical preparedness will help in preventing most injuries. It is also a major factor in creating speed, power and endurance.

Movement- The body must be conditioned or your movement will be sluggish. Technique will not get you far if your body is not in the right position. You will not be able to manipulate the fight if you cannot be where you need to. Movement is key in changing angles, range and timing in a fight.

Technique- Without being physically prepared your technique will be weak, slow and without power. Movement must flow with technique if you are to be ready for every scenario in battle. Your focus on a fight will expand tremendously when your attacks are instant without thought. Technique allows for efficiency in combat. It will remove wasted movement and is the biggest influence on speed and power.

Mind- This is where it all comes together. All of the other elements combined will allow your mind to calculate and react to everything that happens in a fight. There are so many facets to the mentality of combat, which is what makes it the final piece of the puzzle. So many things fit into this category. Timing, spirituality, manipulation, willpower, calculation, and research are all things that can be attributed to the mental game.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Arkin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:39 am

Thanks guys all of you helped a lot.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby tvetree » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:22 pm

I find the best way to get back to basics is to teach a newbie.
Teach not spank As you teach you force yourself to return to basics,as the other stuff just gets in the newbies way.Also at the same time you help create yet another fighter of worth for future days and fights.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby p_quick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 pm

alot of good things have been said. arkin i recommend the wrist rollers and pel work for your wrists. i believe in strong wrists, but a use my wrist very little when i fight. wrist strength is more important with your weapon blocks.

Dev said you should not become a chameleon, this is good advice, when i teach anyone anything i never claim that my method is always going to be the "correct" method. so take everything with a grain of salt.

physic's BMTM is really good stuff. you should read that and reread it. try to apply it to more then just your fighting, apply it to school, work, etc.

the one thing i want to add is to right Single in practices. it will force better blocking habits and basic swings to come back to the surface. you won't have a shield to hide behind anymore.

I guess that's all i got for now
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training