High-Cross

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

High-Cross

Postby Devaryn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Seems like the high-cross is pretty much one of the most if not THE most commonly used of moves, and has very good success against a large number of fighters.

But lately I've been noticing a lot of opinions that this move is pretty awful and rarely advised. It all started with sparring Kenneth a few years back, when he explained that he almost never uses that move. Now I'm reading posts that advocate against it, and Peter's video also bashed the move.

So I ask: is the high-cross one of those moves that can punk pretty much all the beginner and intermediate fighters, but flatout sucks against any advanced fighter who knows his stuff? I know a lot of fighters who use this move almost 90% of the time, and that's not an exaggeration.

So what's the story about this move? What are it's weaknesses vs. strengths, and why is it considered by some elite fighters something you almost never want to do?
Sir Devaryn "Dev" Sulynari

ABF
Knight of Taurendor
Devaryn
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: Taurendor
Unit: ABF

Re: High-Cross

Postby Black Cat » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 pm

From what I could gather on the boards, using the High Cross to the point of obsession is like using a flail. They both pwn newb-slices and unsuspecting veterans of middling proficiency, but they are both highly offensive and don't provide much in the way of defense. They also make you cap in your skill level because you aren't forced to work as hard for your kills against lower-tier fighters, which puts you at a disadvantage against the high-tier fighters whom can see through and easily counter your highly predictable tricks.

Keep in mind that I don't get much practice, so I could be way out in left field here. That's just my interpretation of what I have read about fighting styles on these boards.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby p_quick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:32 pm

what it boils down to is exactly what my vid describes, and like you said the "high end fighter" will just stab you in the armpit everytime you do and giggle about it afterward.

i'm not saying there is never a time to use the high cross, its just alot less then most people use it. especially for an opening, which is what most people use it for.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Derian » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:59 pm

To expand upon what Peter said, it leaves you very vulnerable and can often result in a simultaneous kill.

I agree, it's definitely a hard habit to break, especially when it keeps killing people.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby p_quick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:02 am

Derian wrote:I agree, it's definitely a hard habit to break, especially when it keeps killing people.

But those aren't the important people to kill ;)
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Kenneth » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:52 am

There are physical reasons why the high cross should be used less frequently than it currently is. The reasons are very long and extremely boring. A more simple way to understand the high cross is to look at it from a mental aspect:

If you are playing paper-rock-scissors, and everybody keeps throwing scissors, what should you become very good at throwing?
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Winfang » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:00 am

I'm impressed Black Cat, that's a pretty good summary of the shot. I firmly believe the shot came to be very prominent through crappy flail fighters. It's part of the standard 1-2 (shoulder-shoulder) combo that everyone teaches.

I was watching an older video of my fighting with Raccoon and I was shocked. I knew I threw the high-cross a lot and came from the high-cross kingdom (Avalon), but I wasn't expecting it to be every other shot. I guess I relied on having fast hand speed and good timing but WOW, how did you guys not beat me more often?

My high-crosses where/are either typically reactionary shots or gauging shots. Someone exposed their shoulder/body/arm by going for a high-cross or leg shot and I would capitalize on it. I also use the shot as a gauge. Measuring how people would react to it, how fast they where, and at what level to play at. This played up my fast adapting nature.

If I blocked correctly, I could pickup a return high-cross on my shield. This was due to leaning and taking the point of my heater and putting up past my armpit.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Slagar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:05 pm

I'm going to chime in, since I bring a wierd perspective here. I'm left-handed, so 90% of the time I don't have anything to do with high crosses. When I run into another lefty, though, I'm in a weird spot. There are only a handful of shots I know how to throw against another lefty, mostly the hip stab, the shoulder wrap, the leg pick, and the high/short crosses. Of all these, the short cross is the most effective by far. Except when I hit either of the two other lefties in my realm who are way better than me. I get munched, bad, most of the time. I've discovered that the only way to beat either of these guys is to mix up my shots, especially working in the shoulder wraps and leg picks. I think this is possibly a little microcosm of what most righties deal with. Crosses work fine, up until you hit the big guys. Then, you're screwed unless you are able to mix it up. I could be wrong, but that seems likely to me. Once you meet someone who's just plain better than you at throwing that shot, they're going to time you, outspeed you, and just generally mess you up until you figure out something else that works.

My .02, anyway.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby bo1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:30 pm

you got it slagar.

it is percentages people, you take 3 different people

10% FIGHTER, first event newb, knows rules and a few shots
50% FIGHTER, starting second season, got some skills, seen lots, spars quite a bit, maybe 7 events under thier belt
90% FIGHTER, top of the heap, your basic peter, bahkdar, galin, whoever destroys your local practice

throw the high cross against each and you get a different result

newby, gets an easy kill, they talk about you, you are so great.
midlevel, they probibly block it, and return with a cross, then you throw another and get the kill. they are angry and think that if only they were faster they could be better, and beat you.
vet, they weapon block, shield edge your arm pit and smack the crap out of your short ribs with either a short cross(different than a high cross), or a wrap to the hip.

the shot will quickly get you to the middle of the heap, then you will sit there until you learn how to fight differently. it promotes plateus, a fighters worst nightmare.

just my thoughts.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Skitterzz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Bo.

I like you, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter or periodical.

:goblin:

Well said though.
Militia Division II; First Sergeant, Infantry, Archer.
----------------------------------------
VAZI President/Death-squad Sergeant: Columbus, OH
Skitterzz
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2003
Realm: Militia Div II
Unit: Militia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board/Spear.

Postby Devaryn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Wow. That was probably the best collection of supremely insightful replies I've ever seen in such a short span. You guys rock. Thank you. :)

ABF
Knight of Taurendor
Devaryn
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 pm

The high cross, or maybe its lower counterpart, can be used to draw a block, then recycle and chop the blocking arm.

You need to see it in person to really know what I am talking about--it's in the Advanced Sword and Shield on my YouTube channel, DagorhirFighting. I don't use it a whole lot, at least not in battles, but it does work against guys who know one way to defend the high cross but haven't mastered all of the elements.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby p_quick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:59 pm

i'm not gunna lie magnus you can achieve what you are suggesting with just a short cross rather then throwing the High cross. leading with a high cross is a great way to get pounded like a post...
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:42 am

I think "short cross" is what I meant, but I am not familiar with the term. What would you call a "short cross"?
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Slagar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:00 am

A short cross is a straight shot across the body, with the sword landing about parallel to the ground, on the opponent's shoulder, bicep, or upper ribs. The tip of the sword should not be pointing towards the ground.

A high cross is a shot across the body, intended to strike anywhere between the armpit and belt. The sword strikes the opponent at a steep angle, with the tip pointing to the ground a few feet behind the opponent.

The body mechanics behind throwing these shots are pretty notably different, as well.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Poo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:20 am

Coming from Amtgard, i was surprised by the number of high crosses that are thrown by belegarth fighters. At my Amtgard park, you'd literally get made fun of for throwing a high cross, but when i began Bel, i seemed to be all that anyone was throwing. Then again, i also saw much larger shields and longer weapons. But i'm happy to see that its moving away from barn door and broom handle, with PtQ and others leading it. I loved seeing a smaller punch and 36" sword, made me nostalgic. Though it seems logically to me that high crosses are incredibely simple to block, i get killed with them all the time.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:26 am

Don't sword block, shield block and counterswing.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Poo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Yeah, thats the logical answer to me, i just can never get myself to do it. I need to fight more often and have more experience.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Brennon EH » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:Don't sword block, shield block and counterswing.

I don't advise this. Moving your shield to block your sword-side will pull you out of position and block your angles of attack.

Block your sword side with your sword. Moving your shield around is a very situational activity.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:23 pm

I understand where you are coming from Brennon. IMO, you are better off to block and strike at the same time, than you are to block, and then strike.
It's all a timing thing, instead of one, two, it's just one.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby p_quick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:02 pm

you can block it at the same time, if you have to do something with your shield put the rim of it in his armpit or kidney, but you always block the shot with your weapon, then its a matter of following his motion back for the stab, slot shot, darkside, etc.

i agree with B any extra movement with your shield is a fast way to get you killed.

and yea a shot cross is mostly like Slagar explained it. the main difference is that in a highcross your elbow ends up pointing up toward the sky where as the short cross your elbow stays pointed down allowing you to maintain your guard. does that make sense?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Yeah, I think I meant short cross.

I often do the "high slot" attack against shield users, which is a different move that does not open one up for a counterattack. The only problem with it, I think, is that it requires one to be able to use dynamic footwork in order to get it to work, which meant I was not really able to use it effectively the weekend before last, since the snow was about 2' deep and moving feet was not really a possibility.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Solusar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm

p_quick wrote:i agree with B any extra movement with your shield is a fast way to get you killed.

Anytime anyone asks for fighting advice, this is where I start. A good defense is a good offense. Moving your shield more than 3-4 inches any direction will probably result in a kill if your opponent is competent.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Devaryn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Question about the two different ways I've seen the high cross used. One seems like a good way to get you killed, but the other seems pretty decent, or not.

Obviously, when you twist your body and reach forward and across, with the tip of the sword pointed down and your elbow to the sky, that's the one that gets you killed.

But what about the kind I've seen the more advanced fighters throw, which is when you step toward and sort of to the side of the enemy, and throw the high-cross, but you keep your arm and elbow at your head rather than reaching out of position across your body? Maybe this is the high slot and I'm confusing them...

ABF
Knight of Taurendor
Devaryn
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby p_quick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:25 pm

all high crosses will result with the same returns, the pocket/armpit stab. as an opener anyway. keep your elbow down protect your arm.

there are times to use the high cross but not many. and never as an opener or a standby shot
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Solusar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:25 pm

I think a cross is more or a shoulder, upper arm shot while the slot is aimed more for the armpit, torso or possibly the hip. Can someone confirm or deny that?
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Kageshiro » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Stepping back in the conversation a bit, it seems the consensus is that a better way to start a "weak side" combo is a short cross. I think see the advantages over the high cross - the attacking arm pops back to a ready position for a quicker 2nd shot or sword arm block.

However, when I get ready to throw the 2nd shot in a short cross combo, I often find myself rotating around the outside of the opponent's shield arm and whipping down his/her back from the highest point of the return motion from the short cross. The resulting shot gets a ton of force (for some reason, my hips are falling at that point - probably due to my bad form on the short cross), but only ends up clipping the opponent's back if the opponent moved his/her shield slightly on the short cross. The shot ends up working quite a bit at a crazy angle (and occasionally works with an exagerated short-cross feint that provokes shield movement), but I wonder if that is due to the inexperience / shield-movement of the opponent.

I guess my question is whether there is a better 2nd shot in a combo following a short-cross when facing an opponent that doesn't move his/her shield on the initial short-cross.
Kageshiro
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1997
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:44 am

Kageshiro wrote:I guess my question is whether there is a better 2nd shot in a combo following a short-cross when facing an opponent that doesn't move his/her shield on the initial short-cross.

a pocket stab, the flat chop to the shield side shoulder is a great shot, if they don't move their shield they are probably flat footed so put your shield into their weapon side armpit and turn their shoulders yourself.

watch this vid it might help show you what i mean about the pocket stab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1uhJqF_ ... re=channel
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby bo1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:51 pm

that vid is priceless, pocket stab to shoudler drop anyone. over and over. it is a brutal setup, if one fails you are bound to have the other.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Slagar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Not at all. That's just what happens when you try to shield-block your sword-side. It's why my cross works so well. All you do to stop that is sword-brush out the stab, and follow it home to the shoulder/elbow. It only works over and over and over and over, until people stop jumping their shield over to block it. Right Bo? ;)
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kageshiro » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:44 pm

p_quick wrote:a pocket stab, the flat chop to the shield side shoulder is a great shot, if they don't move their shield they are probably flat footed so put your shield into their weapon side armpit and turn their shoulders yourself.

watch this vid it might help show you what i mean about the pocket stab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1uhJqF_ ... re=channel

Thanks. Very helpful.

Seems like the combo probably works best against punches held far enough away from the body to make a "slot" for the initial pocket stab. Would a short cross work better as an opener against a heater held in a closer stance?

Also, what is the counter? Darkside? An active weapon block to the outside and shot to the extended arm?
Kageshiro
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1997
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain

Postby Kenneth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:53 pm

I have been thinking about the pocket stab for a little bit now, and have essentially broken it down into two situations for me. The first situation is primarily when they over-commit to the stab. In that situation, its not hard to guide the stab to the side and blast them in whatever manner I wish.

The second situation is when they properly attempt to pocket stab me. In my mind, the pocket stab's greatest weakness is that it requires a relatively high positioning for success. The primary options on a pocket stab are the pocket stab itself, short chop on the shield-side shoulder, and a wrap on that side. Its typical(not theoretical) reach is also a little on the short side.

By my thinking, it seems to suffer from a curious vulnerability to fighters coming in low from long range. Keeping a high guard makes it more difficult to be stabbed, while swinging low makes it very hard for them to close in cleanly, which denies the range they want to be in. It seems they want your shield in one of two positions, and the best option from a stylistically different mentality is to deny both options to them through use of range.

I'm pretty sure if I was a bit faster, I could take more advantage of what I'm thinking about. Right now though, I'm just not fast enough to do it. The idea has some structural defects-namely swinging at the legs- but I think there's a bit of merit in this particular situation. You just have to be aware of the spots where the pocket stab can flow into.

I don't think you've been able to land a clean stab on me from that side in a while, have you PQ?
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby Brennon EH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am

Kenneth wrote:The second situation is when they properly attempt to pocket stab me. In my mind, the pocket stab's greatest weakness is that it requires a relatively high positioning for success. The primary options on a pocket stab are the pocket stab itself, short chop on the shield-side shoulder, and a wrap on that side. Its typical(not theoretical) reach is also a little on the short side.

The cross shoulder stab (pocket stab) is very situational in my mind. I only use it when my opponent is non-reactive (too scared/dumb/new/slow) to move or when my opponent is walking forward rather than sliding forward.

Let me emphasize that last bit, because it's very important. I cross shoulder stab people when they switch legs or square their shoulders while in my middle to long range. As I'm sure you can imagine, this eliminates the short reach of the stab, and lowers the height of the required angle for it to be successful. The pocket stab is a fantastic answer to people who walk while in combat rather than slide.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby p_quick » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:22 am

Brennon EH wrote:
Kenneth wrote:The second situation is when they properly attempt to pocket stab me. In my mind, the pocket stab's greatest weakness is that it requires a relatively high positioning for success. The primary options on a pocket stab are the pocket stab itself, short chop on the shield-side shoulder, and a wrap on that side. Its typical(not theoretical) reach is also a little on the short side.

The cross shoulder stab (pocket stab) is very situational in my mind. I only use it when my opponent is non-reactive (too scared/dumb/new/slow) to move or when my opponent is walking forward rather than sliding forward.

Let me emphasize that last bit, because it's very important. I cross shoulder stab people when they switch legs or square their shoulders while in my middle to long range. As I'm sure you can imagine, this eliminates the short reach of the stab, and lowers the height of the required angle for it to be successful. The pocket stab is a fantastic answer to people who walk while in combat rather than slide.

You took the words right outta my mouth B.

I also never through any shot except for maybe a short cross as a standby shot, i let things develop and put my opponent into the position where the right swing fits the fight, much like brennen's "The pocket stab is a fantastic answer to people who walk while in combat rather than slide."
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Bhakdar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:17 pm

Is there a 'proper term' for the Darkside made into a stab?

The "under-boob" stab if you will?
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Spyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Another thing to point out...i stab lead ALOT...i also stand left foot foward in bel / dag. Its a safe opener..because the most open thing to return to is a cross. If you return with a shield side shoulder or just about anything else i switch to your shield side shoulder and then grind...usually switching back to the stab or hip wrap....very quick and painless. Also if the grind goes to long just switcht o the low leg and shield bash as they drop...step over them and finish it..... Pretty basic stuff.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Postby Solusar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:08 pm

I did some sparring today and noticed how much I do actually throw the high-cross. I feel like this is my first year fighting, not my ninth.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 am

I come from Amtgard and even there my friends will tell you for a good fighter (at 41 years old calling myself top end is pure arrogance, anymore) I throw too many high crosses. Even I admit it. In my Bel park, I have seen that nearly everyone throws more than I do. Given that perspective, I will offer my views.

The high cross isn’t per se a bad shot. What it is, is a shot with some good and some very bad features. The good feature is that it goes to the most open part of an opponent (at least a right-handed shield-man). That’s the only major good feature but it is real and not to be ignored. The very bad features are that it exposes you a lot. There are ways to minimize this, like the what this thread is calling the mid cross but the fact is it exposes you a whole lot and since its not an exceptionally quick shot, you are quite exposed for too long in many cases.

So why would a good fighter ever use a high cross? (just watch some videos and you will see plenty of the best using it now and again). Well the good feature of the shot is real. If you can minimize the very bad features enough and maybe slightly increase the good features, the shot becomes viable against more than just the lower to mid level fighters. And by viable, I mean one of the variety of shots worth mixing into a rotation.

The main keys to minimizing the very bad is to make * sure your opponent’s blade is going where you want. You can use pure speed and placement on mid level guys like Bo said but against good fighters, you won’t out speed them. You need to feint them. Get them swinging for an apparent opening or out of position for a block. Crosses may be slow relative to some shots but a well used feint can certainly give you the time you need.

Not that I am arguing with the learned sticks above but that’s why you see a bad shot work even on good players and why I don’t favor completely removing the shot from anyone’s repertoire.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:23 am

The high cross has it's occasional use. It is, however, normally thrown as an opener. And it's the worst opener in the world. Literally, it's the slowest shot with the most exposure you can throw.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28 am

That is the major point here. I use it occasionally, but only under the kinds of circumstances Michael was describing--when it doesn't seem likely that my opponent is going to be able to hit the parts of me that I expose.

There are other variations, most notably repositioning one's shield to block the opening (best used with a medium-small punch shield), and some of those can be used as opening shots as well. What is really hilarious, though, is when two fighters both lead with a high cross at the exact same time; two guys in my unit, who are brothers, did that all the time 2-3 years ago. Everyone laughed whenever it happened.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Arrakis » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Illiak and I were sparring one day. We go to the point where we were both leading with a step-in shield-dip-by-crouching-slightly onside leg shot and following it up with a high cross. It was all about timing and my ability to block my legs for those times I actually beat him. It was pretty funny, though, to be throwing the exact same shots at one another. Most of the kills were an arm hit during the near-simo high cross and the shot after that.

/rambling

I, like most, should throw fewer high crosses, though I've been trying to work short crosses in to my repertoire recently, but I have had no contact with higher-level (non-newb) fighters since just before Christmas...
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Winfang » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:58 pm

Here is a variant that I was using trying to break one of my guys from high-crossing so much.

Every time he didn't wound with a high-cross, he was dead.

Instead of using the high-cross you're dead theory which just encourages you not throw it, this encouraged him to be observant when fighting and identify when it was useful to throw versus when it wasn't.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Aondor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:25 pm

I find it the move to only be usefule 4 or 5 swings into a fight If i get someone off balance and going backwards or can get in their grill It works great.

When people high cross i block step in and side wrap their leg then take the kill but im lazy alot and usualy just go for the kill
Aondor
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Black Tower
Unit: Defenders of the Cross
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round strap and gladius

Postby Argent » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:50 pm

high-cross got that Rufio kid killed in "Hook"
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Postby Juicer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 am

No it didn't, poor blocking and Dustin Hoffman's "Weapon Finesse" feat got that Rufio kid killed.

Zwei ap Owen wrote:Juicer sho' nuff loves tuh shuffle.

Juiceros, the Deceptron. Kwisatz Haderach Musketeer from the future
Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 Aug 2004
Realm: Babylon. Blood in blood out.
Unit: HH
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brass knucks

Postby Argent » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:27 am

isnt that a high cross?
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Postby Roland Demox » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:29 am

Nope hook struck with the false edge, thus not a high cross. Also Ruffio tried to block everywhere except the stab. Newb lol.

Anyways, so what I have been having trouble with is High Cross vs. Short Cross. I have been consciously throwing the Short cross however those watching tell me it still looks like I at least wanted to throw the high cross but tried to tighten it up last second. So what is the proper way to throw a short cross and make it 100% distinguishable from a high cross
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:17 am

Start it from pyramid guard or something instead of some Oldcastle-style position. It's just a straight cross-body shot from the same place you'd throw a straight same-side shot (like a shoulder pop).
Arrakis

Postby Roland Demox » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 am

So whats the difference between Old Castle and pyramid. I have never heard of an Old Castle guard
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:04 am

I mean, don't bring your sword hand back by your ear over your shoulder or something before you throw the cross. Oldcastle guard is a super-exaggerated "* sword" position.
Arrakis

Next

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training