Some sparring

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Some sparring

Postby Winfang » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:19 am

Here is some video of Tinman, Casey, and I sparring in my garage. Give critiques and such.

Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Re: Some sparring

Postby Physic » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:59 am

Here are a couple of thoughts on your fighting Winfang.

Lower your stance.

Be a bit more aggressive with the shield. You have size and height over Tinman. Lowering the stance will allow you to protect your legs and get into him more.

Sorry to be blunt but your footwork is very lazy. Step offline more to create angles. Step in quickly for the angles on the wraps. You should be able to tear Tinman up in the A range with the heater. Train your legs to move quicker (sprints, ladder drills, dot drills).

It looks like the heater is somewhat of a crutch for you. Your relying on its static defense to keep you protected. Keep training with the smaller shield. It will force you to move and stay low.

The true sign of an SCA crossover is when you see them using the hanging guard in Bel. It works great in both.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Winfang » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:13 am

I should have stated it earlier, but there are some limitations to my garage. We constantly hit our weapons on rafters and garage door opener. I'm very aware of this so I don't throw many high shots.

Oh yeah, my heater is a crutch for me. That's why I'm starting to use the round, but haven't fully committed to it yet. Hopefully this is the type of shield I will use in SCA too.

It's sad but true, I'm a very lazy fighter when I know the person. I put just enough effort into the fight to keep it competitive but not enough to truly dominate the fight. I'm working to break that habit.

Hopefully I'll get some video of me fighting SCA tonight so we can compare the two against each other to see the similarities.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby varadin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:33 am

Winfang wrote:Hopefully I'll get some video of me fighting SCA tonight so we can compare the two against each other to see the similarities.

inc me getting beat like a harp seal
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern

Postby Devaryn » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:22 pm

It's kind of scary to watch Tinman fight and realize that it might as well be a recording of yourself doing the exact same moves the exact same way.
Sir Devaryn "Dev" Sulynari

ABF
Knight of Taurendor
Devaryn
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: Taurendor
Unit: ABF

Postby TinMan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Yea Dev, I was just telling Fang that the other day.

Fangs height was defanitly a disadvantage in the garage. He gets me with that wrap more than I like to admit.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Postby Skitterzz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Some great weapon blocking :goblin:
Militia Division II; First Sergeant, Infantry, Archer.
----------------------------------------
VAZI President/Death-squad Sergeant: Columbus, OH
Skitterzz
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2003
Realm: Militia Div II
Unit: Militia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board/Spear.

Postby MeleeMoses » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Winfang

I understand that it is limited space.

But they are right. Lazy as **** foot work. I don't see one single wrap from either of you. And Tinman's constant little double cross to spin **** move is just not worth anything. Stop throwing that and learn how to do an inside sword arm wrap. It's a hard move and i haven't seen to many people be able to throw it, but it is useful.

Also id say if you are fighting SCA the first thing you should of work on is up close fighting. Being able to throw sword side shots(which you can, over and over) are useful until they close in close. I saw you had the arm snipe down which is one of my favorite shots. But the sad fact is i saw NO wraps in this video!! It kills me how many people i see not throwing a proper wrap to the shield side. You just fake highcross rotate your arm back over your head. Take that extra step/lunge and throw it. If you are in SCA i don't see how they havent shown or forced you to throw that shot more often.

Over all the video was ok. Gave me something to watch for 20 minutes

I was just disappointed at all the shots being thrown

I hope to fight you soon!!

keep it up
GS
"He may look like a hippie...But he's a warmonger"-Goat
MeleeMoses
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: GodSquad

Postby Derian » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Now, I'm by no means an expert, in fact, I think you'd probably smoke me if we fought, but it's always easier to critique someone else's fighting, so here goes:

After reading Moses's comments, wraps at the forefront of my mind. I watched for the first five minutes of you and Tinman's video, and you guys are both fast, that's for sure, but I don't think I saw any wraps at all, unless I'm simply missing them. At ~3:25, Tinman pops a few times on your shield side shoulder. He doesn't appear to be committing wholly to the shots, but rather trying to get you to open up. It seems like a simple wrap on either one of those shots would have been shoulder or back.

One thing I did notice that I haven't seen mentioned was your overhand stabs - it looks to me like you line them up and hold for a second or two before actually thrusting. I can't recall any that actually landed.

Another thing, and I could be crazy here, but it seems like your wrist is locked most of the time. I see a bunch of shots that might have gone through if your wrist had followed through. Of course, with heavier weapons this isn't always a possibility and I have no idea what your weapon weighs, but it's something to give thought to.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Winfang » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 pm

My wraps and my garage don't mix. I'll get some video of us fighting outside. There should be a difference.

Me and trusting is and interesting mix. I never really learned how to trust until I fought SCA. Needless to say, the face isn't a viable target in Bel.

I've edited and uploading some SCA footage from tonight and I'll post that in the morning. You can watch what happens to Varadin, a season Dag/Bel fighter thrown in SCA armor for the 2nd time. Check my YouTube channel later tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/user/winfang/
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TinMan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:00 am

Fang has a good wrap that he throws often. Like he says the garage limits him.

As for me I've been trying to add allot of flash to my fighting. I fight right foot forward which makes the wrap really hard for me to throw. Not that I was ever comfortable with it in the first place. I always lose my sword (which is why I keep a spare). After watching that video (and before) I knew I threw too many crosses. And the more tired I get the more predictable I get, which is why fang looks so lazy. I need more practice that’s for sure, sadly I'm going to have to start going to Dag. practice (no offence dag friends but Ohio dag fighters suck) since I work during Avalon’s.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 am

DISCLAIMER: I don't really care if anyone else thinks that i'm wrong and wants to point out their own opinions, i'm very open to discussing what i believe to be the right move or response to a given situation. Anything i say about anyone's fighting is by any way a law of fighting, there are many ways to fight and my beliefs and my methods may not work for anyone but me. But i believe in my practices and if a critique is asked for i'll give the best constructive criticism as i can. I am not ragging on anyone or saying anything to be hurtful in anyway.

well the lack of wraps (and i understand the garage limitations) and i also understand the limited space makes you feet seem more heavy. so i won't address that stuff more then anyone else has.

the shield side hip wrap that you have some success with near the end of the video, when you move in for that or the right leg drop cross, instead of dipping with your legs and keeping your shoulders high you hunch an awful lot. so stand up straight. you are a tall guy so use that height and protect your shoulders and your arm.

Your shield work is pretty weak, especially with that punch. now i'm by no means a great punch shield fighter but you keep in to close to your body, extend that out there and cut off his angles of attack, kinda like for the same reasons a soccer goalie charges a break away. and you move it way to much to protect your legs. With that heater you are better, mostly because it's a strap, but you still move it alot, block from you hips and your core instead of your arms quite so much. On a side note, i'd say lower the strap on that heater about 3 inches. it will help protect your shoulder, and you won't have to maintain that hanging guard quite so much and you can let that guard turn into some arm-timing and pocketstabing. Just follow tin man back home, cause he is hunching too much too.

You do a very good job of not throwing worthless shots, but i don't think it wouldn't hurt you to get a little more committed to the shots you do through, you are a little too defensive and really let tin man set the tempo of the battle. If you start side stepping to either side (shield or weapon) you will cut off tin man's options, thus making his shots more predictable, and that will allow you to be able to be a little more aggressive.

Now Tin man favors that high cross alot, so you hold your weapon guard pretty high, so like i said i know why you favor so high but even thou the high cross is at least 40% of Tin man's shots i don't think you need to favor it quite so much. So with that said i think you should lower it, if you fight some one left handed or a flo fighter they are gunna harpoon you in the kidneys and gut like you can't believe. Like where you have your guard at 7:04 just before you throw that high cross and get killed for it ;)

And there are many times in the vid where you have the pocket stab all set up, even if you don't know it, and you don't deliver it. you should be harpooning tinman down to his knees with his weapon side shoulder turned that much toward you. force him to use that weak weapon block for more then your high crosses.

and i agree with physic, be more aggressive with that shield.

I'm pretty pumped to fight you at opener =) and we can talk theory.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 am

Tin man,

you need to stop leading with your double high cross followed by the recover spin. I honestly think, if you wanna better yourself, is at foam fighting practice call yourself dead everything you throw a high cross until you break your habit of throwing it every you open or retreat.

You also need to stop doom looping. Winfang is pretty stagnant but a lighter fighter will out position you pretty fast when they see you doom looping it up like that.

You should spend more time thinking what reactions you are going to pull out of you opponent when you throw them. you seem to be throwing a flurry of shots with no more goal then to put winfang on the defensive so it doesn't become nearly as obvious that your weapon block is weak. if you notice almost every time fang hits your weapon arm its because you miss your weapon block or you are overextending yourself and putting yourself out of position, with a high cross or a dark side shot.

Your Ranging looks really good, you look light on your feet and you keep fang at the distance you are comfortable with pretty consistently. But you should try moving side to side more, manipulate that centerline a little more, force him to turn his shoulders, especially when he doesn't move his feet.

For god sakes lower your weapon guard. Do that block strike exercise it will improve your game alot i think.

And give fang some good pocket stabs to force his shield over to his weapon side so you can open with more shield side shots.

and god * you look fit man, props :)

That's all that i have to give ya for now, its pretty late and i probably had a good # of spelling errors in there. so i apologies for those.

Again, this was nothing more then the best constructive criticism that i can offer. I'm not attacking anyone's fighting.

Tin man are you gunna make it to opener?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Winfang » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:54 am

Here is me last night at SCA.

Now before you say "so-and-so blew off your shot" understand that I know all my fights ended fairly. SCA has a different calibration.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Winfang » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 am

Some more notes about those videos. There is probably another 20 minutes of sparring on tape, and we did another 1/2 hour of sparring not on film. What you see is the first 15 minutes. Tinman was focusing on weapon block but I edited out the part where he says this. Also, neither Tinman or I have done any Bel fighting since November. We're working on knocking the rust off.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby varadin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:08 am

God i look fat on camera... cutting pop out of the diet. Fang its supposed to be a bit warmer this weekend so if you get some outdoor **** going tell me ill PM you my number.

Love how you left the one shot of modi in there.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:15 pm

in the sca fights you look alot more comfortable with what you are doing. you footwork is alot better, and you are alot more committed/aggressive with your attacks, and because you dont' have to protect below the knee you shield movement is really cut down.

looks good.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Derian » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 pm

On a side note, I'm really impressed with the amount of commentary there's been on this thread; I didn't expect there'd be much.

It's inspired me to record some sparring at fighting tonight, because I know I've got a million and one flaws that are just waiting for someone to point out to me. Look for a new thread tonight or tomorrow. ;)
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Winfang » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks everyone who posted. These critiques are something I don't get at local Bel practices and I felt it's hurt my fighting.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TinMan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Derian wrote:On a side note, I'm really impressed with the amount of commentary there's been on this thread; I didn't expect there'd be much.

It's inspired me to record some sparring at fighting tonight, because I know I've got a million and one flaws that are just waiting for someone to point out to me. Look for a new thread tonight or tomorrow. ;)

Agreed I hope Fang and I do this more often. My goal is to actualy practice this year at least once a week even if it's just backyard sparring.

Peter I will be at opener. Look forward to seeing you there.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Postby MeleeMoses » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:21 pm

Winfang wrote:Thanks everyone who posted. These critiques are something I don't get at local Bel practices and I felt it's hurt my fighting.

Come to Western Wars or Chaos....

I think it would be a really fun learning experience for everyone!!
GS
"He may look like a hippie...But he's a warmonger"-Goat
MeleeMoses
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: GodSquad

Postby Arrakis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:02 pm

The only thing my new * can tell you on that SCA vid is watch coming up off of your feet so much like you did at 1:30-1:32 for that top shot. Excellent shot, by the by, but coming up that far, I'm told, ungrounds you and knocks you off your balance. I have a very poppy style, I think, and I'm constantly (when I make it to practice...) being told by Master Feral to stay in my crouch when I throw shots.

Cool vids.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Orso, » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:11 pm

I have also just started sca and people tell me that all the time. I was at a pretty good sized tournament with quality fighters and i saw more than a few knights and dukes lifting there back foot or going up on a toe. In one case in paticular a duke would bunny hop to get the angle on the that same high shot. So i'm unsure of what to think, i think it does rob some power but for me power is not a huge problem.
my 2 cents
Orso,
Underling
Underling

Postby tvetree » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 pm

As to the poping up to take a shot.It's all good,If you have the balance and a good feel for range(yours and theirs).

As to wraps well...It's like an SCA ver of the BEL High cross.It works and it works well but there are other options.

It also depends on the groups you fight with.Even with larger groups.They have a flavor of what works and doesn't.The people you fight often learn the rythm of your dance(style) and it will be less effective.
Money shots loss value if over used,but will not land if not praticed.

Note: I'm just rattling a bit.Suffering from not getting to play as often as I like.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby Winfang » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:38 am

Tinman, Mick, and I decided to do some more sparring. Here is the 1st 10 minutes. I've got about an hour of footage (the length of the tape). The snow and ice have finally decided to melt enough to give us somewhere to fight outside. There is a lot of water on the ground so we do slip a bit.

I stuck with the round the whole time. I tried to get the pocket stab, but I'm not very practice at it, so it wasn't effective yet.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby varadin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Only thing i noticed is when you are throwing high on their shield side you are almost always dropping your shield to your hip. Towards the end you get hit shield side shoulder because of it. In your later vids 3-4 i saw it the most so it might just be getting tired.

Props on the recruiting
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Loptr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:36 am

Take all this with a grain of salt. Simply my observations of what stands out on my short break.

Black sword dude-
Your fast with your combos and you consistently throw more than one shot. Good job.
Your spin gets you out, but you tend to telegraph the bejesus out of it. Someone watching for it will step in and kill you.
Consider stepping off center line to create more openings for your attacks.
You seem to be throwing shots with no purpose at times. Consider using some feints to open up your opponent.
It looks like your exposing your sword side when you throw shots. By stepping to the left it ought to reduce this a bit?
You hold your sword really high thus leaving your hip pocket very open.

Grey sword (EBF shield?)-
Excellent weapon side blocking.
You throw a bunch of stabs! HOORAY stabs.
Thing about stepping off line this might line you up better to stabbing that hip pocket the other guy is keeping way open.

Both of you consider getting closer and throwing wraps. Black sword did close couple times at the very beginning.

Being an Amt crosser I love shield bashing. Yet I don’t really see a lot of it in any of the vids that have been surfacing of late.

Loptr
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby bo1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 am

review withheld to view further video.
Last edited by bo1 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Winfang » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:40 am

For people who don't know us very well, here is some background.
Black Sword/Heater Shield - Tinman
Grey Club/2x3 Punch - Mick (Joe)
Grey Sword/Round Punch (it's a phoenix, but I'm in the EBF)
Some other general things. We where playing 1st hit wins, which is how we spar out here. My weapon was the only stabby. There is 33 minutes of sparring from Saturday night. Here are the other videos. Needless to say I've edited out the color commentary. You really don't need to know how vain Tinny is. :)

I'm trying to learn how to do the pocket stab. I landed it, or something close to it, twice and got an armpit stab once. Stabbing has never really been in my * until just recently (THANK YOU EDHELLEN AND GALIN!)

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate it from everyone. It's nice having completely different set of eyes looking at our fighting to point out problems that we just don't see. Its thinking outside the box. :)
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby p_quick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:08 pm

i've got some time tomorrow night fang i'll watch the vids closly then and i'll give feedback where i can.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby TinMan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:37 pm

I still havent had a chance to watch these videos myself. I'm using my work computer and it doesnt let me view youtube videos. That said I was really trying to incorperate wrap shots into my style. With the slightly slippery ground and a shot I never felt comfertable throwing I think it's gonna be really noticable how my comfidance has gone way down since the last video.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Postby Winfang » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Jesus, I just noticed I had probably close to an hour worth of sparring in just the past week on YouTube! That should be more then enough footage to see all my weaknesses and strengths.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby arthon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Hey all ...

I reviewed the first outdoor video. I broke it down into chunks and by who was fighting. While all three fighters have some very good points in their favor (I tried to list these), only Winfang seems to be trying different things. Mick and Tinman seem to follow the same patterns a lot (those patterns are effective, however).

Someone was also down on Tinman for "doom circles". I love that stuff and try to encourage it. I try to incorporate flare into all my fighting 'cause it makes it more fun. You are, I must emphasize, going to die a lot more if you use it. I tell you though, if you flip the sword in the air, catch it and then spin shot whoever was running up on you, the crowd goes freaking wild.

Also, a couple of things that I noticed were already pointed out by Loptr. I include them again for completeness sake.

Now, onto the critique:

Outside video # 1 (10 minutes)

Mick w/Grey Club 0:00 - 2:24:
Has sword foot forward the entire time. Probably need to change this up throughout the fight.
fighting flat-footed as well ... kinda trudging forward
hanging the shield low. Also, probably too close too body.
Don't lean for the leg swing, bend at the knees.
When you do get pressed, you tend to either lean back or retreat in a straight line - both are bad habits.
Your guard gets lazy/droopy after a couple of throws.
Interesting shield-edge punch combined with mace shot - you used it several times to good effect.
Sometimes you move laterally when attacking. This is good. Keep it up.
You're throwing a nice high feint there. Sometimes Winfang bites. It'll work better if you move aggressively forward when you throw your real shot.
You're fading Winfang quite a bit (dropping back and throwing shots as he moves forward trying to close distance). This is a good tactic (at least until he realizes that you're doing it). Keep him honest and sometimes drive forward into him when he advances.

Winfang w/Grey Sword 0:00-2:24:
You aggress quite a bit. I approve.
It's a punch shield - gotta keep it away from your body to block more angles. It's much too close to you.
When Mick tries the feint, it almost always creates an over commitment with your shield on your part.
I like how you change your stance depending on whether your aggressing or defending.
When Mick starts to fade you, you either need to back the hell away or be hyper-aggressive and get there super-quick. From what I see, you're just wading into his shots.
You really wind up for that wrap. That's a big 'tell'.
You're fighting on the balls of your feet a lot more than a lot of other fighters that I've reviewed. Good.
Sometimes you try to black a shot coming to your shield-side with your sword (1:30 & 2:11). You may be trying to trap the sword for all I know. Either one is almost always a bad idea.

Tinman w/Black Sword 2:25 - 6:29
Nice wraps, good hand speed.
Why are y'all constantly fighting with sword foot forward when y'all have huge, honkin' shields? It totally exposes your weak side. You gotta change this up during a fight.
Ohh ... angle your sword to block the slot (see 3:14). Matter of fact, you constantly invite that slot by having your sword perpendicular to the earth. Keep that sucker angled away from your body, with the tip pointed at your opponent's nose..
Man .. I tell you that I like the spinny-Conan stuff (3:50-3:55). Make sure you don't do it so much that it telegraphs your shots.
Sometimes, it seems like you are falling into predictable patterns. Be wary of this.

Winfang w/Grey Sword 2:225 -6:29
Got some nice slot shots in during this session.
Gotta setup that stab some....
Ack .. he's totally out-ranging you 'cause of his stance and length of sword. Gotta past his range into yours with a quickness. Not seeing this.
Before he throws a shot, he pulls his sword back. Attack into this with a slot and/or stab. Sometimes you do, but it should be all the time until he learns better.
Start gauging his pattern ... he's generally throwing a combo (left-to-right or right-to-left) Use timing to help block that 2nd shot that you know will be coming from the opposite side of the first one. If he's not throwing a combo, he's throwing a single strike to bait you.

Tinman w/Black Sword 6:29 -10:00
There's a little bit of flailing at range going on throughout the fight here. Both of y'all contribute to this. Shields are going every where.
No feints, body fakes or wraps are attempted during this fight at all. Mostly, it seemed like you would wait for him to throw a shot and then you'd aggress. It drops you into predictable patterns where your opponent controls the tempo.
You switch your stance up more during this sparring session. Good.

Mick w/Grey Club 6:29 -10:00
You seem to be throwing the first strike and then fading when Tinman advances on you. This worked ok against Winfang, but you don't have nearly as much range on Tinman. Thus, the effectiveness of this tactic decreases a lot.
You get some good feints in.
Still leaning in for that leg shot.

-arthon
arthon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 Mar 1988
Realm: Amtgard
Unit: The Chosen of BoB
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, baby.

Postby bo1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:29 pm

ok i have seen the new vids, i should have left my old post up, basically the same stuff.

tinman, you have the most open stance i have seen . shield is very far to shield side, sword side very forward. should be super safe in this stance against wraps. but you still get hit with some, probibly because you move your shield all over the place, and that your straps might be too high and your shield rides to low at a rest position. this position shoudl make you more vulnerable to the cross, so you need to rely on your weapon block against all the crosses. it aint all bad, but stop doom looping and lower your weapon hand so your forarm is parallel to the ground. try to throw a shot without everything(shield/head/body) moving. your slow spin retreat is really noticable and gets you killed several times. probibly could work to reduce/rework that. i can tell that you fight lots of high crossers. your little doom loop to the side and cross return, catches that high cross people like to throw. i think it just reenforces bad habits when it works. on crosses keep the elbow to the ground. i now know whay you dont use your shield to pin opponent, it is usually too far away, practice switching feet so you can use this to your advantage. to many high crosses.

winfang, it looks like you lean a bit forward at the waist. it is hard to see exactly for me, but your balance looks too far forward. your knee bend is decent, but it seems like you are hunching far too often. also your weapon arm should be more parallel to the ground, and many times there is a large gap between your shield and your weapon, big slot. your stabs are comeing from the arm and not the hip rotation, it leaves you over extended if it misses. you time the arm several times with a good short cross. keep your hand in the box ( between * and hips) to finish this arm technique. i noticed you * back a bit on some shots, we don't need that much force on our shots, takes too long, and is a tell.

mick, you flail a bit, with your equipment going all over the place. not sure if that is on purpose or not, but it seems to not help as much as it leaves openings. you are mostly too upright, bend those knees, and lower those hips, but keep your chin/chest up. too many high crosses, you don't doom loop as much as tinny but every one is too many. you use your shield to nudge the opponent with some success.

just some thought, now i will be a real man and tape my next practice. soes i can join the correction team.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I just want the weather to stay nice so we can practice outside!!!!!

Nothing I could add would really be anything but a duplicate of stuff that has already been said, so I'll hold off in that regard. Except, that you (and I, too, and people in general) should be trying more stabs. Despite the fact that you aren't good at them and you will probably mess up and get killed--or maybe because of that fact--you should go for them whenever the opportunity presents itself, or whenever you think it does.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Judas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Winfang wrote:Here is me last night at SCA.

That thrust to the glaive wielders gut looks brutal.
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Bhakdar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:05 am

Winfang: Thanks for posting the footage and for really trying to diversify yourself. I love how effective you are on reactionary defense even with the round. That said, the beginning of the outdoor videos really show how uncomfortable you are with it at first. You appear stiff and uncomfortable knowing you're more exposed. You do a great job of loosening up and getting more comfortable, close, and aggressive with the smallest shield throughout the night.

Advice:
1) Use that punch round to stuff people's shots as soon as they move their hand, then wrap them or chop their torso as they try to recover. You taught me that closing range will get people to throw sloppy, predictable shots. It's true, but we can't wait for them to swing when we switch from heater to round. Edge them!
2) Keep closing range! Especially small shield it feels bad cause you get hit on the way in but whenever you get to where your hand can match the plane of their shield edge, you wrap and win.
3) Throw the stabs, torso slots, and short crosses from closer range. A step closer. You may have to wait until they throw that high cross, but you're good at waiting and they're good at throwing crosses.

TinMan: I love your flow. You are the most fluid of the squad for sure and your loose demeanor will continue to benefit you if you can diversify your stance and shots more. I love your uppercuts and hip chops that come under shields.

1) Keep throwing wraps to the hip and shoulder. You're not landing them often but only because you're not close enough. Advance faking high cross and keep getting close enough to throw an easy hip or shoulder wrap. You throw the cross enough that people will be stunned and won't know where to put their guard.
2) Either get rid of your shield or switch your stance so you start USING it. Challenge yourself to edge people or stuff their weapon into them before you commit to swings. Switching stance to shield forward will encourage aggressive shield use and swings to your opponents outside which will diversify your offense.
3) Stop leading all the time. Lead in motion rather than throwing a cross or shoulder shot just to get them moving. Move in, see what they do, then strike.

Mick: You know how to win with your gangles and that's great. You look more casual than the others and not so stuck on making the 'right' move-- I like that. Shows you're loose and adaptable. On the other hand, you seem to lose endurance faster and your swings look a bit more 'floppy', as in, you don't always have a precise target in mind, just reaching your opponent.

1) Keep up the aggressive shield work followed by precise shots. Challenge yourself to exert this effort throughout a spar session. You're good with it, you whooped on me with it when we last sparred. Get endurance with it and challenge precision with your shield aggression and weapon placement.
2) Challenge yourself to get beyond using gangles at range. You trade high crosses with TinMan a fair bit for the double kill. Your gangles will be phenominal when you feel that in CLOSE RANGE your gangles are SURE WIN. At range, its still possible you're getting simo-struck. When you force yourself to step into being on top of their toes before throwing your shot, you're forced to know where you're going to swing in a split second and your wrap will win. Your aggressive punch work will stuff their shot before they start it.
3) You edge at range. In close, you'll need to punch. Just punch their hand once you're close.

Props to whomever found the light switch. I hope to be able to post some sparring from Portland in the near future. This fighting critique trend is a great one and helps a lot more people than just the participants. Let's keep it up Belegarth! And thanks to all the cross-over critique from Amtgard!
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Winfang » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 am

I'm warming up to the round shield. I was watching videos of me fighting this Tuesday and I was much more aggressive with it.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby David of Serenity » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:44 am

I would love to be able to watch those videos as well.
David of Serenity
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2002
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Serenity
Favorite Fighting Styles: Shield and weapon, single blue

Postby Winfang » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:58 am

New videos from this Tuesday are online.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Bhakdar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Link for easy reference and newcomers to the thread?
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby David of Serenity » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9_w-eXdhDM

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdVPTS1 ... re=related

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypXnG2c ... re=related

I'm in the blue hoodie and fully willing to hijack the thread for people to critique my fighting. Please be harsh and detailed.

Also, if any of the generous people that sparred with me at opener have anything to add, it would be well received.
David of Serenity
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Slagar » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Since you asked.

1. Footwork: Your footwork, while active, tends not to position you well for your shots. You've got a good repertoire, and good hand speed, but you don't set up for your shots well. Get your feet and body moving for position better.

2. Punch-block/sword-block: You don't punch block your sword side enough. This means that your shield jumps all over the place to keep you covered, and it opens you for more fakes. This is an issue for almost all fighters in the sport. The more you cover your sword side with your shield, the more people are going to juke you out of your shoes, and wail your shield side.

3. Stance: Your stance is not what it ought to be. This goes along with footwork and sword-blocking, but it bears mentioning. Pick a stance (Winfang's is your best bet for your style, imho), and use it. Also, to aid you in this, I'd recommend switching down to a round shield for practices, to force you to learn to keep in a good stance, and trust it. I practice with a strap round, which forces me to keep my sword leg out of the way, and to move my feet. I'd suggest the same.

4. Agression/timing: Your shots come in faster than most people's, and you're bigger than average. You really ought to take more initiative, and be more agressive with your fighting. You let your opponent set the pace of the fight, and look for shots as he gives them to you. Some people like that, but I think you would be best served with a more agressive, more forward tempo. With your handspeed, if you set the pace of the fight, most fighters simply can't keep up, and so you get ahead of them, and win the match.

That's all I can remember in detail. Hope it helps. Thanks again for the matches at Opener, it was a lot of fun.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Winfang » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:22 am

David & Tinman, we should try some of those block-strike drills.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby David of Serenity » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:58 am

I'm really sick now from going to opener instead of resting, but as soon as that passes, I would be up for drills/sparring pretty much any day of the week.
David of Serenity
Recruit
Recruit

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:29 pm

First suggestion: edit the video to take out some of the inane banter.

David,

Your sword technique is very solid, but you could open up your stance--and thus your lines of attack--if you used your sword to block more rather than relying on your shield. As it is in the video, you have very tight defense (which is good considering you are using a smaller shield, something of which I definitely approve) but because your defense relies on crouching and holding your shield very flat across your body, you have to displace yourself from defense in order to make an attack.

As far as your footwork is concerned, you do a really good job of moving in and out, but you would be well served by more lateral motion. In particular, your side wrap attacks would benefit greatly from juking to the left (and throwing a pocket stab or a high slot attack) followed by throwing your right foot to the right and attacking with the wrap shot to the thigh, hip, ribs, shoulder, or whatever is open.

I need to get a video camera and tape my practices, maybe once the weather warms up and we do them more regularly.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Dabbanoth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Winfang, are you going to post that Video of us and peter sparring at the opener?
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Spyn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 pm

Indeed, I need to mock Peter some more as well. Laugh some more at his pitiful Two-Sword skills. So what does everyone think of block-strike?

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Postby bo1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:25 am

it is bullocks. a second rate training technique used by those losers in awimpgaurd.

hey spyn you gat a private channel i could reach you on. i have some things i would like to go over.
you can pm me. thanks, hope things are well.

oh and ya i was kidding about all that bs, blockstrike is only the best way to read, block and learn proper technique. well that and tape review. you guys on e sam, you should work for the nfl, those coaches got nothing on you guys for tape breakdown, it is really scary how fast and accurate you guys catch the smallest errors
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Winfang » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 am

Dude, give me some time. I'm hoping to get to it tonight. Some of the footage is crap because we didn't always have someone manning it. Spyn can watch Peter's incredible footwork that takes him half-way across the field though and the behind the back shot that got Vokor. :)

Block-strike seems interesting enough. We've played something similar to it before but never formalized it. We always viewed it as single sword sparring where one person blocked and one attacked. We eventually got to block>attack>block>attack>etc.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training