Sparring Critique

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sparring Critique

Postby Derian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:20 am

Here's a few fights between myself (red shield) and Gorlock. Looking for any and all critique you guys can offer. Let me start out by saying that Gorlock and I, especially, get locked into back and forth cross battles -- the longer they go, the higher and crossier they get. It's bad; I'm trying to stop. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I wasn't able to land more than one or two stabs at most during these fights. Also, I move my shield too much and need to weapon block my sword side more.

Sorry they're broken into small clips, my editing software decided to be a piece of **** tonight. Also, towards the end, we were both pretty exhausted, so that's why the shots are getting sloppier.

** Click on them to go to YouTube and watch the high quality version **
[youtube]A5Mk2Jk6-Dc&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]M7AnIPj0tiw&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]D-0kzhwJ_3g&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]QjTzwyugf00&fmt=18[/youtube]

Let's see what you guys have to say.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: Sparring Critique

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:38 am

As a former right-cross aficionado meself, I understand.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Arkin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:37 am

Just a few things, your a lot better fighter then I thought. Have you been working on you fighting a lot or am I just blind. Anyways you do something I cant do that well which is switch from your defensive foot forward and then switch to a offensive foot forward. Its causing you to sometimes keep your legs to close together and when Gorlock lays in a few shots to the top of your shield then steps in, it makes it extremely easy for him to hit you in the legs. (if you keep your legs more apart its a lot easier to move them out of the way of shots.) But thats when you dont drop your shield a mile down your legs, but then he should be popping you in your shoulder. You dont ever seem to go off your center line which helps a lot when your opening up anyone that is fighting more defensive then you. So when someone steps to you and swings try to step around them and stay fighting aggressive. Thats all I could remember, I watched each video once take what you think will help.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Slagar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:15 am

The first thing I noticed has already been mentioned. You move your shield around WAY too much. Move your legs, don't block them below the hip/thigh. Gorlock should have been wailing on your shoulder all day for that.

Second, mix up your shots more. You threw the wrap ocasionally, and landed it once or twice, but other ther than that you didn't work the shield-side much. Change it up. The one shot I really like using on same-handed fighters is to fake a cross into a hip wrap. Works well enough. Just quit throwing crosses all day.

Third, your footwork is not the greatest. You're mobile, but you don't use your footwork to position you for shots very well. As Arkin said, you tend to just bounce around on Gorlock's center line, and throw whatever shots you care to. Position yourself, and push him off your center for better angles.

Other than that, I didn't really see many issues. Your speed is excellent, and you don't seem to have many rythm/timing issues. Part of that I'm sure is because you guys know each others' rythm well, but for the purposes of this vid, you looked fine from that perspective.

My biggest suggestions to fix these problems are, in order:
1. Use that small round more. I'm sure that most of the reason your shieldwork tends toward being sloppy is that you pick up that punch tower too much. I could be wrong, and I mean no offense, but sticking with that shield until you're more comfortable with your legwork will improve your shield technique.

2. As much as I absolutely hate block-strike, pick up an exercise or challenge that punishes you for the high cross. One suggestion I heard and liked is to just take death whenever you throw it for a practice or three, to break the habit. Whatever it takes for you, learn to quit throwing it so much.

3. Physic taught me a drill I like for switching and maintaining footwork. You and a partner, for about 5 mins, spar. Rules are one guy attacks until he lands three hits, other guy only blocks. Then, switch as soon as the third shot lands. Back and forth for five minutes. This drill will help you transition better in your footwork, and allow you to practice using position to help open and close angles.

Hope this helps.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Dane » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 am

Derian: As you said, your shield moves too much. Turn your hips to make your blocks.

Echoing Arkin and Slagar here: move off the centerline more when you're attacking. It's the difference between a near-miss and a solid shot.

Your stabs are telegraphed, every one of them. Incorporate feints to try and draw el presidente out of his posture. On that note, feint more, generally. You're using shots to create openings, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you'd be surprised how much you can make a shield move with a pump fake.

You telegraph all of your high wraps by winding up over your shoulder. You can throw the same shot without showing it by turning your hips into it.

Try to keep from crossing your feet, even when closing. It's how legs are lost.

Generally, your guard is leaving your sword arm pocket wide open, meaning a proficient stabber is going to shank the crap out of you. Angle your sword toward your shield to create more of an 'A' frame, and you'll be protected from shanks and crosses by turning your hips.

Who taught you to spin? Your mechanics are all wrong! Blech! We'll fix it at Opener.

You got faster. Are you swinging kitespar in these vids?

Both of you:

Fewer high crosses, please. If one of you stopped throwing it long enough to weapon block it, that person could have retaliated with a drop shot, pocket stab, shield edge into shield-side wrap...

Seriously. I'm a newer fighter (1 year, 7 months), and putting the high cross in the bottom of my toolbox has increased my survivability and killing efficiency exponentially.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Derian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks all for your comments. I've noticed a few of the things, notably the fact that I shift my stance and stand with my feet too close together before, but didn't realize it was that big of a deal.

Arkin - I've been fighting for nearly 8 years, but have only recently picked up the above weapon combination, say, right before Oktoberfest. I fought almost exclusively medium punch & flail before that. It's significantly improved my fighting ability.

Slagar - I've really been trying to leave the punch alone; in fact, other than at Rhun Closer and for a few fights the other night, I've hardly touched it since October. That shield is absolutely why my footwork is lazy, a habit I'm trying hard to break.

Dane - Definitely kitespar. That's about all I fight with. Part of the extra speed is the fact that I'm done shaking off the rust. Last time we fought I was only a month or two out of my year or so hiatus.

Thanks again for the comments, they help. Anyone else, keep 'em comin' please!
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Relg » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:04 am

When holding a sword along with the shield in your offhand (as Gorlock is doing), is it legal to stab with it (provided that it's stabbing-legal)?
Say one were to go up for a shield bash then all of a sudden drop the arm a bit lower and thus stab your opponent on their upper leg. Would this be legal?
Warthog wrote:Good game! I play sports!
Relg
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 04 Oct 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Axe and Board, Red

Postby Roland Demox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:14 am

If it has a stabbing tip that passes you can stab a man in the junk and it will count, Having said that there are things that are discouraged on the grounds of there is a better option.

Ex. In your scenario you could try to stab the upper leg after faking a shield bash, however it is so much easier to throw a high wrap to shield side
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Brennon EH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 am

You both need to work extensively on fight control. You are feinting very little, are not baiting at all, and are committing to every shot you throw. Compound this with a limited shot selection, and it makes for very predictable fights.

Some things you could easily do to improve your fighting:
1. Work the shield hip wrap.

2. High cross restriction. Any time you throw a high cross as an opener, take a death. It will break the habit really quickly.

3. Don't throw a shot without taking a step first. You really, really need to work on your range control. Forcing yourself to step while you throw your opening shot will make a world of difference.

4. Learn to feint and misdirect. I recommend the same side shoulder slot as a fake and then drop stab under the shield. It should be one fluid motion that draws their guard and shield up just a bit, and then drops and stabs them in the groin or midsection. It's a very effective basic feint.

5. Learn to block your sword side with your sword. If you do this you can follow every high cross from your opponent with a flat cross to their arm as they retreat. It works like magic.

Bravo for actively trying to get better.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am

We get lazier as we fight, and the brings out a high cross more often. However earlier in the video when we get locked in what looks like a high cross fight in the video we were actually throwing short crosses. We talked about that before we started and I think that that is why we got stuck in it there. Most of my swings on derians high weapon side are designed to hit shoulder or a slot between his shield and weapon to hit him in the chest.

I think the reason that not many of the stabs landed was because Derian had shown me how to better block them earlier.

A reason that derian wasn't coming off of my center line was because we fight together so often, when he would try or I would try the other would mirror the step so that we had to fight straight up.

Also don't just tell him what to do, I want to keep improving as well.

Thanks the the input brennon. I am really bad about not stepping when I am fighting oen on one. When I fight on a field I am much better about stepping while I swing.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Derian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks, Brennon, I was really hoping you'd offer up your insight.

As for the drop stab - I've watched your stabs and feints video a number of times, but still haven't ever been able to get it to work for me. It seems simple enough, but I've never been able to pull it off. Do you know of anything else that might help me along? If not, I can see if I can get some more footage of me fighting and attempting the drop stab.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Brennon EH » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:38 pm

If you're having trouble with the drop stab, it's probably because you're not selling the high same side shoulder enough. Since it seems like it isn't a shot that you frequently throw for real, that could be the root of your problem. An effective feint is something your opponent believes you will do.

Film some work of you attempting it in normal sparring. Just try and work it in more with the big sell to the same side shoulder. I can help you fix it if I have good footage of it.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Derian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Word.

I'll work on it some more and get some footage if I still can't get it.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby MeleeMoses » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:03 pm

ahhh stabs are gay

I dig that you are throwing the leg to an inside sword arm hit gorlock. I'd say make it a more hip core involved shot. It makes it bring the pain. Swing for a leg, twist your upper body left and then yank them **** back and hit on the hip. I love it

And again im like the wrap *.....but throw more aggressive fake to sheild side wraps....you would murder

that is all
GS
"He may look like a hippie...But he's a warmonger"-Goat
MeleeMoses
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: GodSquad

Postby p_quick » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Mekoot Gorlock wrote:
1)However earlier in the video when we get locked in what looks like a high cross fight in the video we were actually throwing short crosses.

2) I think the reason that not many of the stabs landed was because Derian had shown me how to better block them earlier.

3) A reason that derian wasn't coming off of my center line was because we fight together so often, when he would try or I would try the other would mirror the step so that we had to fight straight up.

4) Also don't just tell him what to do, I want to keep improving as well.

Alright are you guys ready for this? I'm gunna be ruff on you two here. Brennen was really nice to you but he isn't always that nice on the E-Sam board. So i'll be the bad guy here. But remember the things i'm going to say here are ment and said for the purpose of bettering your game, as i see it. and again what i say is never by anymeans a law of fighting.

first thing i'm gunna do is talk about what you said here in your post, Mr. President.

i broke down your last post so i can address each part.

1) this statment is not correct, while you were targeting what you say you were targeting, your elbow breaks and stops pointing to the ground, hence you die from it. Derian does the same thing, so don't feel bad.

2) the big reason derian never lands that stab is because he has no foot work, and he never manipulates your center line. not because you know how to block it, all you do is lean back, and that will get you knocked off your feet if some one who knows what to look for sees that, and they will do it with that same stab, done properly of coarse...harpooning you like a baby seal. You need to brush the stab out with your sword and get your back should away from that attack.

3) the reason you were not coming off each other center lines is because you both just simply didn't do it, you both lean from side to side rather then stepping. If each of you know how the other fights so well you should be able to predict what they are going to do so it should make it easier to step off eachother's centerline.

4) That is awesome! its been along time sinse Iowa fighters have been working to to get better at fighting. so its good to see.

To continue Brennen is right that you guys both not control the fight it in the slightest. and you don't feint very often and you never bait. but rather then recaping what he said i'll move on.

Relg, yea it's totally legal to stab with the shield hand

I actually cross my feet alot when i fight, different tools for different times. The way you guys change your feet isn't so big of a deal but you should lunge when you want to close for an offensive attack and step when you are safely out of range or are using your legs and foot work to bait specific shots out of your opponent.

Slagar wrote:
Other than that, I didn't really see many issues. Your speed is excellent, and you don't seem to have many rythm/timing issues. Part of that I'm sure is because you guys know each others' rythm well, but for the purposes of this vid, you looked fine from that perspective.

disregard this statment,

your timing is terrible. you guys both throw out of time when you should throw in time, and when you throw in time you should be throwing outta time...block strike will help fix this. you should flow from swing to swing shot to shot, it should be a logical flow of events, where as you guys both look you are having sex for the first time, both have very forced jerky motions and very jumpy foot work. Stepping with your attacks will fix this, watch Brennen's two warlords one girl and you can being to see what i'm saying, or the sword board vid of Dread and Spyn i posted on winfangs sparring thread.

you guys should both learn how to weapon block more consistantly, it will improve your game alot.

And for both of you, you throw the reverse weaponside wrap (darkside warp) with little or no success, because when you throw it you both hunch, and you both use only your wrist and elbow, the motion should come from your back shoulder, much like whipping a towel. and you have to lead into that shot with the proper footing rather then a retreating after thought of your highcross combo.

I'm a big believer is calling yourself dead after you throw a high cross, when it isn't the right shot to throw. and try fighting single blue at practices, it will force you both to learn how to feint, bait and manipulate each other's centerline.

i guess that's all i got for now i'll watch them again later and see if i think of anything more

MeleeMoses wrote:ahhh stabs are gay

???....L2F? :roll:

Another thing i've noticed is that you guys both never use your shields in an aggressive manor get more physical.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Derian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Peter - Awesome, thanks.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby p_quick » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:41 pm

anytime buddy
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby bo1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 pm

in addition to all that,

i saw some pretty square foot work, so that both of your feet are equidistant from your opponent. i have this problem as well, although it is getting better.

some shield work would be great, neither of you do any shield punches or shield rips that i saw. learning to make the "saftey pocket" with your's and your opponet's shields is a wonderful thing. plus with more shield work your wraps become more effective. when you pin the opponents shield with the edge of your shield it turns them to your left. with thet they become incumbered when the try to turn to block the wrap.

vary your levels. you both spend a fair bit of time standing fully upright. dipping your hips( not bending at the waist or hunching) and bending your legs will lead to more openings and more fients.

also use shot progression to grow your thought process.

a short example: if i engage you and the first thing i do is lower my center 6 inches, you are thinking leg hunter, right? ok so the logical responce of the average fighter is to protect the hip and thighs, lower thier blocking gear, and preapare to slide the legs away. instead of leg hunting i spring up, i can do it fast cause i am in a lunge, and have good fighting posture, head up & chest up. when i do this it opens the high wrap and the flat wrap, plus i have probibly closed most of the distance between us, basically standing on your feet. however if you do not lower your blocking gear, you are wide open to a butt wrap or rising wrap.

this can go on forever, usually slow work, 50% speed will help to see what is open, and what responces are available. sometimes a responce that is a kill shot is a bad idea, if it puts you in a poor position. i will rather take a safer shot with a lower chance of sucess than selling the farm on a spin or trickshot.

when you start to think of what a specific action will result in a reaction of your opponent, then you can start to predict responces and change your effective speed. i am not very fast, but because i can predict where/what people are going to do/be, it allows me to effect a higher speed than i actually have. peter does this to incedible effect, because not only does he predict, but he is * peter the QUICK, duh.

good to see you guys fighting though. it takes a fair bit of stones to put your tape out and ask for critiques. but i think you will be much better for the effort.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Loptr » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:51 pm

Derian wrote:Thanks, Brennon, I was really hoping you'd offer up your insight.

As for the drop stab - I've watched your stabs and feints video a number of times, but still haven't ever been able to get it to work for me. It seems simple enough, but I've never been able to pull it off. Do you know of anything else that might help me along? If not, I can see if I can get some more footage of me fighting and attempting the drop stab.

Get a PELL! Then pratice that shot in slo motion until you can get the form correct then speed up slowly until it is combat speed. IF you get sloppy slow down and regain control.

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby arthon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Howdy,

Long-time Amtgarder here. Figured I'd drop my two cents in seeing as how there's a lot of cross posting between forums going on. I'm glad to see y'all working on fighting technique. That's very encouraging. I'd love to see the Dag, Bel and Amtgard (and hell, Darkon, too) fighters getting better all over the country.

Derian - it takes guts to post videos of yourself and accept the critique that will follow. I commend you for that. Also, you use spin shots. I'm a big fan. Take the following critique with the luv that it's intended.

Gorlock - same applies to you (except for the bit about the spin shots).

1st Video (2:23 minutes)

Bad)
1) Fighting sword-side forward a lot ... don't recommend staying in that stance for as long as y'all do (both are guilty).
2) Guy in shorts (Gorlock) is leaning to go for the leg / hip-wrap. Never lean - it exposes too much.. Sink at the knees.
3) Both combatants are fighting flat-footed. Cannot emphasize how much this detracts from both your reaction time and mobility.
4) Shorts-guy (Gorlock) needs to stop dropping his * sword - get a better glove and/or hilt-wrapping..
5) Pants-guy (Derian) is fighting outside his range ... he actually backs up when shorts-guy (Gorlock) moves forward.
6) The high stab requires a setup. I'm not seeing it. As a matter of fact, any stab against a boarder requires a setup. Bear this in mind always.
7) Can definitely tell y'all are getting tired. Probably contributed to several of the points I just mentioned.
8) Gorlock ... what the hell is with the down sword in your shield hand? Do people in Bel and Dag actually takes shots from that kind of setup or allow you to call blocks with it?
9) Derian (pants-guy) seems to have his sword leaning backwards over his shoulder for most of the fight. Get that sucker angled forward - it gives you a quicker reaction time and keeps your opponents aware of the threat.
10) Neither of them feint. Mostly just straight shots. This will be a problem for them at large venues.
11) When either fighter is throwing a straight sword-side slot or a shield-side high cross, his shield drops. This is a big 'tell' and can be capitalized on by fighters who are waiting for it..

Good)
1) Derian has a lot more success when he closes and goes for the sword-side shoulder wrap (sword-side meaning Derian's sword-side).
2) Nice butt-wrap (sword-side wrap) by Gorlock (shorts-guy).
3) Generally good shot placement by both.
4) Good reaction time.
5) Derian's working on the spin shot. This makes me happy.
6) Both fighters take advantage of when the other's shield moves.
7) For as much criticism that I've given, neither is a bad fighter and they both have laid a lot of groundwork to get a lot better.

2nd Video (23 seconds)

Bad)
1) Oh, my God, that spin shot was sloppy. A successful spin generally requires a) a feint b) a body fake and c) good footwork. I saw none of those.
2) When Gorlock (shorts-guy) kicks the shield, gotta commit - can't just kick at it and then back up. Kick, then straddle the guy so your nuts are touching his head. He can only hit your leg then and you will have him dominated.

Good)
1) (Derian) You keep trying those spin shots.
2) (Gorlock) Good eye for range when Derian tried that spin-shot on you.

3rd Video (52 seconds)

Bad)
1) ugh .. flailing when both fighters mess up those cross shots.
2) This time when Gorlock was legged, Derian wasn't aggressive and close enough.
3) Both fighters are fighting at medium range and kind of staying there. Both fighters should be using distance and footwork to give themselves advantages over the other.

Good)
1) Gorluck's (shorts-guy) got a nice little undershot. Keep working on that.
2) Derian (pants-guy) always gets his sword back to the guard position lightning quick (although I don't like where his guard position is).

4th Video (1:40 minutes)

Bad)
1) That shield drop before throwing a shot is killing me. Or rather, probably is killing y'all.
2) Lazy spins on Derian's part - you can really see both fighters need a couple of Red Bulls.
3) Both fighter's need to either back up faster when pressed or step into it and take the initiative away from the other guy.
4) The last 40 seconds don't bear commenting on. Both fighters aren't focused 'cause they're exhausted.

Good)
1) Nice footwork/closing distance for Derian at 0:53. Haven't seen this much in all four videos.

Hope to see as many of y'all as possible at SKBC this year,
arthon
arthon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 Mar 1988
Realm: Amtgard
Unit: The Chosen of BoB
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, baby.

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for the input arthon.

The sword dropping was actually my arm getting taken and me dropping it because I didn't have the arm anymore, and the down sword is just in case I do actually drop my sword and need it there (not needed in sparing much but has helped on the field before). It can block as long as it isn't against my leg but that is secondary for me.

Defiantly right about the shield kick, I was more or less trying to scare him. I will work on that and controlling range (and angles) better.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Dabbanoth » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Gorlock, your posture and stance betray what shot or combo you're about to throw. Throw a leg shot without bring it up into the weapon side pocket, just once, ever.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Dabbanoth » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Derian, every time you throw a shot and bring your sword arm back to reset, theres a longish window where your elbow and forearm are exposed and easy pickins
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Derian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Truth. I get hit in the forearm so * much.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby MeleeMoses » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:47 pm

i still think stabbings gay....
GS
"He may look like a hippie...But he's a warmonger"-Goat
MeleeMoses
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: GodSquad

Postby Bhakdar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Moses, let's work on this gayness of stabbing thing at the Bend seminar.

Have you ever had a good stabbing tip on your sword or forced yourself to get kills without swinging? It's an incredible exercise in range control, footwork, and setup.

Stabbing does suck if you don't know how to set up for it or get away with it properly. When practiced, it leaves you much less open than swinging and is much less perceived by your opponent.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training