Cronus Sparring

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Cronus Sparring

Postby Bhakdar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:02 am

Let's keep the spar critique train moving. Here's Aphex and I sparring in Portland last week.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5910&hl=en

I'm focusing on closing range, stabbing, and baiting. (tall guy, pony tail)

Aphex is working on getting out of high-cross habits, efficiency of movement, and wraps. (dark hair, hoody) Note AFX doesn't have a stabbing tip.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Re: Cronus Sparring

Postby Sipris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am

So, would anyone care to post some critique or feedback? This thread is feeling left out.
House: Valkyries
Sipris
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 11 Nov 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword/board, flo, archery
Pronouns: They / Them

Postby Winfang » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Aphex:
-What's up with the leaning? You telegraph your shots with it. You try to fake Bhakdar out a few times to deceptively leaning one way and throwing the other but it doesn't work.
-What's up the funky deep off-side? You tangle yourself up more then often then not and it doesn't seem very effective for you.
-Quit crossing your feet when you walk sideways. If someone presses you while your doing this you're left completely flat-footed.
-Move your shield out some more, your cone of defensive is limited while it's right on your body making you susceptible to wraps and whippy shots. I usually recommend forearm length away at least.
-When you spin, I would recommend not spinning into your opponent. If you watch the Amtgard SKBC Adv Sword/Board technique, Arthon shows how the footwork provides you an escape plan.
-You make no attempt to control the range of the fight. You let Bhakdar throw shots at you from his maximum range (A range) where you can't return from. He steps in on you to grind (C range) and you stand your ground and throw like you're at the in the between range (B range). A and C are different types of fighting.
-You never weapon block and there where a couple of times that it would have been effective.
-When someone is legged, crush them. Bhakdar does it to you, return the favor.

Bhakdar:
-You look like you're playing, not being serious at all. You're constantly changing stances, weapon positions, and styles. You show hints of the technical skill you possess, but it's quickly gone while you play with something else. It's very hard to extract anything about your fighting from this video because of this.
-One of the few things I did notice were you stabs need work. Your wrist seemed locked when your where throwing them.
-Baiting shouldn't be as dramatic as you made it. Because how you baited, you where killed. Most of the bait you did are things wouldn't work against most people of a similar skill level.
-When you close the range, you look like you want to grind but are not sure how to do it. Play stickie hands with your shield and their weapon hand. You did this with the jav, but not so much with the shield. To close the range fast, look for times when Aphex is crossing his feet to catch him off guard.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby p_quick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:32 am

winfang already said alot of what i was writing up so i'll address the few things he didn't

-you both never really commit to any of your actions. the whole vid is kinda like half * fighting.
-both of you dance around a lot and have way to much movement withyour blocks and our shields
-bhakdar is better about this but aphex need to use core movements to block wrap shots, you use your arms too much which leaves you open to the next shot and dip with you knees to block your legs.
-Aphex you need to weapon block. put down your shield and fight single it'll change your game
-you both need to close and break range of your opponents better, you both kinda mosey. lunge, side step, hop-back when you are that close you don't wanna change up your feet so much. sometimes it right to change up your feet but usually only to set up a stab.
-you both high cross too much.
-aphex i would listen to winfang about the cone of defense. you will learn this more if you scaled down your shield and fought with something that's not so big. it will force you to cut down on waisted movement and focus on blocking high percentage shots.
-work on your stabs, it is a body movement not an arm movement.
-bhakdar your sword is too long ;)
-Winfang also really hit it on the head with his first statement. its hard to critic something that just looks like play...

that's about all i got
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:05 am

You two are so old, you should probably stop doing that. Being fogeys, I mean.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Bhakdar » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:41 am

Yea, I guess I think of Belegarth as too much of a game these days :P
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby p_quick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:52 am

??
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby BROPHEX » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:15 pm

I just discovered this thread! Thanks for the advice Winfang and Peter!
Sir Aphex Dragoon of Babylon
Gelf
BROPHEX
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: High on PCP

Postby p_quick » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:52 am

anytime dude