Rhinohiding

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Rhinohiding

Postby p_quick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:15 pm

glancing hits with a green are a pretty iffy shot at best. if some one tries to stab me and it slides off my body and never sticks it's not a hit. just like a grazing hit with a blue, or a garb or light hit. It's all at the opinion of the Hitt-ie.

Now mind you i'm not trying to argue anyone's side of the story i'm just pointing that out.

But i think slagar is right, if you deem him an un fixable problem just don't invite him back or tell him straight up if he isn't gunna play by the rules then he can't play...its really pretty simple. sometimes its better to cut off a leg then let infection spread.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Chicken » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:06 pm

I've got to chime in here - sliding shots is a real problem when you're spearing, and not just when you're spearing Peter ;). It's why shin shots are surprisingly hard to land - your shin is a little triangle and if it hits off center, especially with a low-profile speartip, it'll just slide right off. Because of the different mechanics of a thrust versus a slash, even a very solidly pushed stab that slides will not feel solid to the victim, which as Peter rightly points out is all that matters.

My best advice is to think of stabbing through the person, which ensures that you'll stab with sufficient force in the first place, and aim for the gut/solar plexus. It's one of the hardest points in the body to move out of the way, and if you connect well they just fold over your spear, rather than having it slide to the side. If the person says "Oof! Glancing," then at least you've won the moral fight.

All that is really only to say there are a lot of spear shots that can feel great to the wielder but feel light when they connect, so that gripe could actually be legit.

This is why my next spear is going to really push the boundries of an acceptable hit ;).
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Loptr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 am

Relg wrote:He didn't take like five hits because of this "rule".

Steal the line from Amtgard's rule book, Dude it says in "the rule book" "A shot that stops or deflects." Then see if he can refute it as not being in the BoW.
We (local Amt park) call sliding shots with no impact "butter". We dont take butter, but if it deflects then slides whole new ballgame......

L

p.s. the post above by Chicken is full of WIN.
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby Davit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Honestly if you have to, knock the guy off his feet with the spear, don't trip him, but stab him so hard that he can't walk while you're stabbing him. Push so hard with that spear so that if he drops his shield to block it he gets pushed back. Just like in regular melee, if it's not hard enough for him to take it, hit harder.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby The Great Gigsby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:56 pm

There's some really **** advice in this thread.
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Theros the Large » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:27 am

****? I am not so sure about that...

Do you have something constructive to add to the topic? Or just snide comments?
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:11 am

I'm not saying that all of the advice offered is ****, but I strongly believe that whine-fest threads like this one are better off not being made or encouraged. I fail to see any use for this thread other than as a hugbox for people who can't deal with their own problems and as a soapbox for tough guys to stand on and bore us with their tough guy stories. That said, this is going to be my only reply. If you want to take it to me, do it in a PM, please.

IMO, It's pretty weak (and disrespectful) to * about a realm-mate on the boards. If you've got beef, deal with it in a positive and helpful way to their face.

Relg is the only one in the scenario offering a perspective. Everyone else is just speculating and riffing on what Relg is claiming to be true. I understand that to move the discussion forward we've got to assume that Relg is speaking the truth, but in my experience, there's usually two or more sides to a story; especially when part of the story involves a vendetta against someone on the internet. Relg has less than a year of experience. Same goes for the cheater in question. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I'm not calling anyone a cheater either.

Sometimes a light shot is just a light shot.

Turning up the heat on a suspected sluffer is always kind of a gamble and usually a last resort. If you're gonna crank it, don't be a * about it. Do it with the intent to keep the fight fair, not to send your target to the emergency room. If you break somebody's nose or fingers because you were trying to teach them a lesson about hit-taking, you just lost all your credibility and hopefully, somebody gets sued.

BoW wrote:1.3. The target of an attack makes combat hit determinations.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:06 am

I believe this thread did offer some positive advice for realm admins on how to deal with this on the field. I think this is a serious issue and that it should be talked about without being a whine-fest. Many people have disagreements on how to address rhinos, some people advocated hitting harder (which may not be an option for some realms), and we also learned about heralding games, how to share heralding responsibilities, ect. I don't think this was a waste at all, and I have gotten a lot of info out of it. Also, I can see some value in venting before talking with this guy, I have to do that a lot before I confront someone. This way I can keep my cool.

-Anastasia of Chamonix
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:59 am

Giggles wrote:Relg is the only one in the scenario offering a perspective. Everyone else is just speculating and riffing on what Relg is claiming to be true. I understand that to move the discussion forward we've got to assume that Relg is speaking the truth, but in my experience, there's usually two or more sides to a story; especially when part of the story involves a vendetta against someone on the internet. Relg has less than a year of experience. Same goes for the cheater in question. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I'm not calling anyone a cheater either.

well spoken usually there are more sides to the story.

I don't think you read the whole thread before you put you post up.

Giggles wrote:IMO, It's pretty weak (and disrespectful) to * about a realm-mate on the boards. If you've got beef, deal with it in a positive and helpful way to their face.

This is true, but as was said earlier, this was tried and it didn't work.

Giggles wrote:

This has also been said. and no one has been pointing fingers at individual people about cheating or bad hit taking.

Giggles wrote:Turning up the heat on a suspected sluffer is always kind of a gamble and usually a last resort. If you're gonna crank it, don't be a * about it. Do it with the intent to keep the fight fair, not to send your target to the emergency room. If you break somebody's nose or fingers because you were trying to teach them a lesson about hit-taking, you just lost all your credibility and hopefully, somebody gets sued.

you are right it is a last resort, and sometimes usually the worst way to handle these types of situations. But this wasn't the only advice that was given in this thread.

So you seem to believe you are a higher caliber person because you can go hug some trees and solve everyone's hit taking problems in a non-violent way. well good for you Mr. Green, keep living the dream. We play a full contact sport, not a touch feely don't wanna hurt anyones feelings game, this isn't (and i mean no offense) middle school girls soccer. It is belegarth, so grow a pair, if you wanna play a game where no one gets hurt go play wow, and don't waist people's time with soap-box umbrella accusations.

and PS no one is gunna get sued because everyone (at least everyone should) have signed a waiver.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 pm

p_quick wrote:and PS no one is gunna get sued because everyone (at least everyone should) have signed a waiver.

It's not your fault if you break one of his kneecaps; he signed the waiver, right? :post:
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:56 pm

i didn't say anything about fault, i said no one is gunna get sued.

Haha and why the knee caps? Are we hitting each other with batons? it's not like we are trying to forcefully pull information out of the people we are fighting. :roll:

and we are still fighting foam swords, i'm just saying **** happens in a full contact sport. Is it the Linebacker's fault if the quarterback breaks his thumb when he get's tackled?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Relg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 pm

If I wished to deal with your disrespect, Giggles, I would have asked for it.
Warthog wrote:Good game! I play sports!
Relg
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 04 Oct 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Axe and Board, Red

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:59 pm

I think Giggles had some good points (even if not politely conveyed).
1) You should have a conversation with people you have disagreements with-that's part of life and the game.
2) You shouldn't talk trash about your realm mates (although we didn't specify who here, so I feel generalizations are ok).
3) Topics should focus on peaceable solutions, not just hitting someone harder (this isn't always an option, and I think is rarely the correct option).
-Ana

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Theros the Large » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Giggles wrote:I'm not saying that all of the advice offered is ****, but I strongly believe that whine-fest threads like this one are better off not being made or encouraged. I fail to see any use for this thread other than as a hugbox for people who can't deal with their own problems and as a soapbox for tough guys to stand on and bore us with their tough guy stories. That said, this is going to be my only reply. If you want to take it to me, do it in a PM, please.

IMO, It's pretty weak (and disrespectful) to * about a realm-mate on the boards. If you've got beef, deal with it in a positive and helpful way to their face.

Relg is the only one in the scenario offering a perspective. Everyone else is just speculating and riffing on what Relg is claiming to be true. I understand that to move the discussion forward we've got to assume that Relg is speaking the truth, but in my experience, there's usually two or more sides to a story; especially when part of the story involves a vendetta against someone on the internet. Relg has less than a year of experience. Same goes for the cheater in question. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I'm not calling anyone a cheater either.

Turning up the heat on a suspected sluffer is always kind of a gamble and usually a last resort. If you're gonna crank it, don't be a * about it. Do it with the intent to keep the fight fair, not to send your target to the emergency room. If you break somebody's nose or fingers because you were trying to teach them a lesson about hit-taking, you just lost all your credibility and hopefully, somebody gets sued.

I have no reason to "tear you apart" on here. You added something to the conversation other than a snippy comment just like I asked...

Hooray and thanks for listening!
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Couple things.

1. A waiver does not stop anyone from sueing the group or an individual. It only provides a deterrant and a bit of legal weight. The likelyhood of being sued is really slim, but it can happen.

2. If you are hitting someone with the ~intent to harm~ them, you are not protected by the waiver. At that point you are being negligent.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Spike » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

p_quick wrote:So you seem to believe you are a higher caliber person because you can go hug some trees and solve everyone's hit taking problems in a non-violent way. well good for you Mr. Green, keep living the dream. We play a full contact sport, not a touch feely don't wanna hurt anyones feelings game, this isn't (and i mean no offense) middle school girls soccer. It is belegarth, so grow a pair, if you wanna play a game where no one gets hurt go play wow, and don't waist people's time with soap-box umbrella accusations.

and PS no one is gunna get sued because everyone (at least everyone should) have signed a waiver.

Well, I've seen a lot of comments and videos regarding your fighting style, Petar. Up until now I've never seen any of your fighting philosophy. I'm glad I read this. It's taught me alot.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Relg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm

I fail to see how seeking a way to make the game more fun for everyone is considered whining.
There's a little thing called tact. Perhaps its time you got some.
Warthog wrote:Good game! I play sports!
Relg
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 04 Oct 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Axe and Board, Red

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:31 pm

i never said i'm trying to hurt people, i just said i play ruff.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby p_quick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Spike wrote:
Well, I've seen a lot of comments and videos regarding your fighting style, Petar. Up until now I've never seen any of your fighting philosophy. I'm glad I read this. It's taught me alot.

heh my fighting philosophy is quite a different thing, this is my * philosophy. ;) did you at least enjoy my keyboard cowboying?

Soo Ma Tai wrote:Couple things.

1. A waiver does not stop anyone from sueing the group or an individual. It only provides a deterrant and a bit of legal weight. The likelyhood of being sued is really slim, but it can happen.

2. If you are hitting someone with the ~intent to harm~ them, you are not protected by the waiver. At that point you are being negligent.

good points my good man. and not to be over looked.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Roland Demox » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Soo Ma Tai wrote:Couple things.

Soo your totally right. The only problems is a signed waiver stating your playing at your own risk usually gets a lawsuit thrown out pretty quick

and as for the second one, again completely accurate, however in the case of a lawsuit, prove it

Again I totally feel that you should never have the intent to harm, ever, that blows the spirit of our game. Yet I believe in Peter's philosphy that this is a rough sport. Having said that you should never try to actually harm somebody, and if I say that somebody blows off your shots then you need to hit harder then I am under the impression that the "cheater" just wants to be hit harder. He obviously feels that your hit is too light to take so you have to hit harder, in no way meant to harm, but to "play by their standards." If you feel your emotions start to get the better of you, walk off the field. Ive seen many fighters do it and its usually a good move if your truly that angry
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Loptr » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:54 am

Relg wrote:If I wished to deal with your disrespect, Giggles, I would have asked for it.

Relg wrote:I fail to see how seeking a way to make the game more fun for everyone is considered whining. There's a little thing called tact. Perhaps its time you got some.

*Emphasis mine* This is whining, the distinction is appreciated.

Your posting to a internet forum and asking to not be harassed? It’s a little thing called (ironically for this thread) a thick skin. Perhaps its time you got some.

Seeking to make the game better and more fun is a good thing. These two posts do nothing for the thread period.

To improve upon this thread.
Soo- hit the nail right on the head!
Waivers are a speed bump not a fortress of protection. Negligent players put the game at risk. In addition to their own involvement in a potential suit, the game can be found liable for not policing the actions of its waivered participants. The odds of this happening? Perhaps quite slim. But the point remains a waiver is like wearing armor. It might keep you in the fight longer but it is not a guarantee of surviving by any means.

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby Grey » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:44 pm

I second on the beating the cheater out of him. Like Peter the Quick said, they signed up for it. Shield bashes are your friends. also, next time you use the spear, stab the rhino in his solar plexus (a good solid hit is almost as bad as a nutshot)
Just to be clear, I'm not saying you should try and hurt the guy. Just give him a few bumps and bruises to think about before the next fight. (even I thought being drug acrossed gravel was a little excessive)
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Sir Anastasia » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Seriously?!

What if people aren't taking my hits because I weigh half as much as they do and therefore can't hit them hard enough according to their standards. As a realm leader of a college campus group, I don't think it's a good practice to tell everyone to hit harder. I have found that my attendance decreases dramatically with rhinos and hard-hitters on the field. Also, all of the girls stop playing except for me. If I am taking light and hitting hard within my physical limits-->that shot needs to be taken. *Ramping up the power of hits just makes everyone else stop taking reasonable shots*. Eventually, everyone is only taking hits that bruise and no one is having any fun.

Rhinos kill attendance-take turns being heralds to nip this in the butt before its a chronic problem.

-Anastasia of Chamonix

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby p_quick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote: Eventually, everyone is only taking hits that bruise and no one is having any fun.

-Anastasia of Chamonix

who says this isn't fun, why do you think i have a bunch of three legged tables in my house?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Sir Anastasia » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:11 pm

No one tells me its not fun...they just aren't at practice anymore. I have seen practices go from 20 to 5 when everyone only takes hard hits. When I ask people why they haven't been around, they tell me it's because of rhinos and hard hits.

We fight 4X a week. If you get bruises on Monday, they are hit again all week. You get tired of being hit all over your old bruises pretty quick.

-Anastasia of Chamonix

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby p_quick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 pm

you didn't get my joke
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:25 pm

p_quick wrote:you didn't get my joke

No...I just didn't LAUGH at your joke.

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby p_quick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:49 pm

relax,

so if you didn't laugh, then who was phone?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Brennon EH » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:14 pm

I'll be honest, I take light and swing moderately hard. I'm not really interested in if you're hitting me 'hard enough', I'm more interested that I screwed up a block, timed something poorly, or had bad footwork.

There are occasions when I will tell people that a shot didn't connect. This is generally if you just nicked or grazed something and it didn't interrupt your swing at all. If I have to stop and think if the shot was valid, I take it. I will frequently hit somebody and then ask if their follow-up shot was in time or not... But if I'm asking that question, it's because I pretty firmly believe the answer is an obvious "no, it wasn't". If they say 'yes', I say 'thank you' and take the hit.

If somebody is dedicated to cheating me (which hasn't happened in... years) Then I generally start beating them in flashy, embarrassing, and humiliating ways. And I make sure and have other people gather around and cheer for me. I've had people leave the field before. Humiliation is highly effective, since respect and achievement is what a cheater is looking for in the first place.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 am

Sounds harsh, but I have to agree with the humiliation tactics. I tried the hearld game today, but it didn't improve anything on the field. I'm prolly gonna have a pep talk with everyone at practice for this week. Basically, it seems as though when we go to events and some people start training, taking it seriously, and becoming competitive-the shruggery begins. I'm going to try to convey to them that their reputation will long outlast their garb and gear, and that victory without honor is personal defeat.
-Anastasia of Chamonix

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:10 am

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Seriously?!

What if people aren't taking my hits because I weigh half as much as they do and therefore can't hit them hard enough according to their standards.

While I understand that this is Belegarth, and "sufficient force" is subjective, if you don't have the umph to score a hit, you don't have the umph to score a hit. Really sorry you're (going by your example, not fact) helpless on the field.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Alunsun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:13 am

Brennon EH wrote:I'll be honest, I take light and swing moderately hard. I'm not really interested in if you're hitting me 'hard enough', I'm more interested that I screwed up a block, timed something poorly, or had bad footwork.

QFT

Brennon EH wrote:There are occasions when I will tell people that a shot didn't connect.

Like when taking your opponents light hit would insult them. For example (and for the record), IMO, someone calling light on me means that they consider me a worthy opponent and that they would like to continue fighting me. They believe that I can do better, and their accepting my light hit would be like them saying, "It's ok, you did the best you could, and even though it wasn't good enough by my standards, you still get an 'E' for effort."

Unfortunately, though, there are some people that can only hit so hard. Yes, it does need to be taken into consideration that they are weaklings. As a result, the only thing you can do is A) Judge them, deem them as weak, and take their weak- sauce hits, or B) Call light on them a few times. Then, when you realize that they are not strong enough to hurt you (tough guy much?), taker their light hits and quote the aforementioned statement about effort (in your head... you arrogant *). This is a contact sport, but it's so much more because it has an honor aspect to it. Basically, all I'm saying is that people out there know what they have to do, which is educate and encourage their less- experienced foam- fighting peers.

Just be 1337 basically, and don't be a noob.
Last edited by Alunsun on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
how much about a nike dunk ??every one know??
Alunsun
Scout
Scout

Realm: Umbar
Unit: The Black Corsairs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Arrakis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:34 am

I've yet to find the mythical noodly-armed twelve year old female fighter that can't throw a shot with sufficient force. All I've found so far are a lot of people who don't have much muscle mass and have psyched themselves out of being able to throw a good shot.

Throw from your hips and shoulders and elbow and wrist all in the same swing and put it somewhere I don't have a block posted and you are, no matter who you are (assuming you're healthy enough to be on the field in the first place), going to put a shot on flesh that will be loudly heard and powerfully felt.

There are people out there who won't take shots that are way sufficient, especially when they're all geared up on adrenaline and macho, but there isn't anyone out there that can't throw a better shot than most people take most of the time.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:
Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Seriously?!

What if people aren't taking my hits because I weigh half as much as they do and therefore can't hit them hard enough according to their standards.

While I understand that this is Belegarth, and "sufficient force" is subjective, if you don't have the umph to score a hit, you don't have the umph to score a hit. Really sorry you're (going by your example, not fact) helpless on the field.

You are missing the point. Most people who don't weigh 300 lbs can't hit as hard as the person who weighs 300 lbs. This is a reality of force. I have played on many national fields and I have no problems with 90% of fighters. I maintain that the 10% that I do have problems with are shrugging good shots because they need a bruise before they take the hit (and trust me...they don't bruise easy).

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 pm

BTW: I would say that 20% of fighters say I hit hard. I hear a lot of "ugh-oof" with my torso shots. Main point here is that everyone has a bar for what they will except as a good hit. I have a low bar for "taking", a high bar for "hitting" (I think this is best). Some people have a higher "taking bar" than their "hitting bar," meaning they want you to take their shots, before they would be taking the same force as a good hit. Not always, but sometimes, these are big guys-who claim "no one is hitting them hard enough." I believe this is one type of rhino and is more likely to show up on fields that encourage "hitting harder" in order to solve the rhino problem.
Thanks,
Anastasia of Chamonix

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Alunsun » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 am

Arrakis wrote:I've yet to find the mythical noodly-armed twelve year old female fighter that can't throw a shot with sufficient force. All I've found so far are a lot of people who don't have much muscle mass and have psyched themselves out of being able to throw a good shot.

I agree 100% ^_^
Alunsun
Scout
Scout

Postby Alunsun » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 am

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:BTW: I would say that 20% of fighters say I hit hard. I hear a lot of "ugh-oof" with my torso shots. Main point here is that everyone has a bar for what they will except as a good hit. I have a low bar for "taking", a high bar for "hitting" (I think this is best). Some people have a higher "taking bar" than their "hitting bar," meaning they want you to take their shots, before they would be taking the same force as a good hit. Not always, but sometimes, these are big guys-who claim "no one is hitting them hard enough." I believe this is one type of rhino and is more likely to show up on fields that encourage "hitting harder" in order to solve the rhino problem.
Thanks,
Anastasia of Chamonix

"ugh-oof" usually means "good/valid shot." If they don't take it, they are cheaters.
Alunsun
Scout
Scout

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm

That's what I'm saying!
-Anastasia of Chamonix

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Bortas » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:You are missing the point. Most people who don't weigh 300 lbs can't hit as hard as the person who weighs 300 lbs. This is a reality of force. I have played on many national fields and I have no problems with 90% of fighters. I maintain that the 10% that I do have problems with are shrugging good shots because they need a bruise before they take the hit (and trust me...they don't bruise easy).

Actually, I think you are... sufficient force is not measured by how much the swinger ways, more in how they swing. Don't cheat your fighters by telling them they are too small to throw a good shot on that brute, teach proper body mechanics on how to throw a shot. I have NEVER encountered so small a teen/adult that could not throw a good shot after learning good technique.

What is good technique? Read up on Duke Paul Bellatrix - http://www.bellatrix.org/school/ Sure, he teaches SCA, but the information translates directly (just aim 12" lower!). Specifically, read page 4, watching the attached flash. Power is generated starting at the hips, not the wrist (most 'light' shotters make this most fundamental of mistakes).

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:14 pm

1) No one has a problem throwing shots with sufficient force in the realm. I am not telling people in my realm that small people cannot hit hard.
2) AND I am not hitting light. If you look at the TITLE of the thread, you might see why I am getting very frustrated.
3) I have no problems at nationals with people taking my hits, what I am referring to specifically, is the phenomenon of rhinos CLAIMING that they have not been hit hard enough...even after "OOmf."
4) I do maintain that at the end of the day--really large muscular people can swing harder than smaller less muscled individuals. However, this does not mean the lightweights aren't hitting hard enough. Once again (see title) this is something rhinos sometimes claim. I get very tired of their argument.

Ty,
Anastasia of Chamonix <------has big muscles and hits hard enough.

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby p_quick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 pm

you have moved the topic away from the original intent here AoC.

You are defending your points like they are a personal attack on your shot mechanics.

relax, listen to what people have said, apply it, or ask questions. don't take your frustrations out on us.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Sorry. I do get carried away. I think the "girl arms" comment got me pretty hot. It can be frustrating.
-Ana

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby xiao » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:32 pm

i was thinking about this one herald that has a digital camera and shoots the footage of rhinos, plays for all to see!
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm

I'll vouch for Ana not having 'girl arms'
she got 'grrl arms' !!
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Arrakis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

If that was directed at me, I would just like to say that when I said "noodly armed 12 year old female fighter" I was aping all of the excuses people give for being unable to throw a decent shot, not indicating that I felt that women were less able or pimpin' in our game. Nilu da Hobgoblin was my mentor when I started my fighting career and she's... well, a she. She can beat my * down with the gnarliest of 'em.
Arrakis

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Arrakis,
No man...it's not you. I never type the thing I mean-This is my issue (Yeah, I gots em'). The apology was sincere and to others in this topic as well. I'm the anxiety queen and I am waiting for news on Neuroscience grad school acceptance (or rejection). Patience isn't my virtue either-so I have just been over-reacting to everything due to this stress. I totally took earlier advice as a critique on my fighting, which as an 8 year vet, I get crabby when people imply the problem was my shot rather than the rhino. Still my problem though-I shouldn't have taken it personally.

Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Austin12157 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 pm

while im risking sounding like a jerk i fell that i should bring this up. Im not sure about you guys but its clear when someone stops playing and starts trying to hurt you. Granted these guys are cheating and that's wrong after all this is a game and its meant to be fun but if someone were to start beating on me not to play but to be spiteful i would lose my temper and form weapons or not they would be a smear on my boot when i was done.

What im trying to say is that you dont have to play with them. I dont have much experience playing but maybe you could just tell them about it and just not playing with them? i mean if its the wrong person they could fly off the handle and hurt you or attack you and you fly off the handle and hurt them.

This is a fighting type game (i feel its more of a sport but thats another topic) maybe straight up trying to hurt them and threatening them is a bad idea......

Like it has been said it is only a game after all.......
Austin12157
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: None yet
Unit: None yet
Favorite Fighting Styles: None yet

Postby Slagar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Out of the mouths of noobs, truth has been spoken. Well said, man.

Seriously, though. This thread has pretty much run its course, and fallen apart. Let's just move on, shall we?
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby p_quick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 pm

AoC don't worry about it and good luck with grad school :)
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Arrakis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:20 am

p_quick wrote:AoC don't worry about it and good luck with grad school :)

This.^
Arrakis

PreviousNext

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training