Lefty Vid

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Lefty Vid

Postby p_quick » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:10 pm

here is a vid for you lefties or the people who wanna beat lefties

sorry slagar

it was made by an amtgard fighter named Glen so thank him for the nice vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ux9u82dFY#
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Re: Lefty Vid

Postby Brennon EH » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Glen is my squire. Feel free to make fun of him.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Narin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 pm

lol
thanks for posting this peter. some very good info. :)
Narin Nightfire
Petitioner in Clan of the Hydra
Belegarth=kicking butt...It's what I do

http://www.geddon.org/index.php/Narin_Nightfire
Narin
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2008
Realm: Loderia-Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Sword and Board, I would like to try spearing... oh and I backstabbing :)

Postby BattleChrist » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:24 pm

I guess that works if you're fighting a lefty who swings first every time and only swings once. I wouldn't say expect it to work every time on a good lefty because all of that stuff he showed you works the same way for a lefty if you swing first and with things like fakes and combos it gets a little more difficult.......

P.S. Leftys love leg shots :eek:
You gotta wonder what's up with that guy..... it's like god spilled a person.
BattleChrist
Thug
Thug

Realm: Ebonhold
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Getting lucky

Postby Chicken » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:14 pm

That's why he kept talking about "the three-shot lefty" - the point was to understand the basic shots a left can cruise by with and force them to actually be a good lefty or pay for it.

That was the most entertaining fighting video I've seen, I loved it.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Slagar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Please, for the love of god, all of you learn this. Every time I go to an event, and kill 30 people in a row with the same two shots, I die a little inside. Ask Dane about his first Wolfpack Opener. It happened, no exaggeration. Learn this, kill all the **** lefties out there, and help those of us who want to get better actually work for our kills. I can't tell you how hard it is to force myself to learn new shots when all of you die to the same ones over and over and freaking over!

Learn this, kill me with it, I'm begging you. For the good of the sport, do it!
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Kerb » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Slagar wrote:Please, for the love of god, all of you learn this. Every time I go to an event, and kill 30 people in a row with the same two shots, I die a little inside. Ask Dane about his first Wolfpack Opener. It happened, no exaggeration. Learn this, kill all the **** lefties out there, and help those of us who want to get better actually work for our kills. I can't tell you how hard it is to force myself to learn new shots when all of you die to the same ones over and over and freaking over!

Learn this, kill me with it, I'm begging you. For the good of the sport, do it!

Thats silly, if you want to learn new shots then throw new shots, don't wait for others to help you, take the 2 shots out of your fighting, don't throw them, and force yourself to do something else. Waiting on other people to help you out is never a good idea, take charge and do thing against the grain. Then when everyone starts learning to fight a lefty, you are already ahead of the game and can temperament what you've already taught yourself against the masses that think you'll be easy pickings now.
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Oct 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty, Florentine,

Postby Slagar » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:32 pm

Eh. I have, a lot. Mostly with the help of a few dedicated sparring partners (you all know who you are, and I do appreciate it). I've worked in a few good stabs, some wraps and chops, some shield-work, better footwork, a lot of things really. It's not like I'm a three-shot figher anymore, unless I'm being really lazy.

It's just annoying to know that I could walk most fields with just one shot. I don't like it, and the first things I teach any newbs I get my hands on are the basic techniques involved in dealing with a fake-and-cross, proper sword-blocking, and the proper stance for lefty-fighting. The horde of craptastic lefties out there who slaughter most righties depresses me. It's a personal vendetta, I guess. Every time I chump out and throw the fake-and-cross for the easy kill because I know it'll work, I get more determined to see it stop working. Maybe that sounds weird, I don't know. Just a personal project of mine.

minor edit: Stupid spelling errors annoy me. Move along.
Last edited by Slagar on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kerb » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 pm

It's not weird, that shows that you enjoy competition, You want to be challenged and be made to fight better, and that's pretty much the best frame of mind you can be in to get better. So I am glad you actually have people you are training with and are not waiting for everyone else to get better. As I have noticed in my time fighting, people will only get better if they want to, and on average most do not push as hard as you would hope they would.

I applaud your efforts to help people out, teaching is actually one of the best ways to learn more yourself.
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arkin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 am

the video is taking forever to load the little bit I saw it looks pretty funny. What is up with the straps being so low on the shield?

lol those newbie shots O i mean lefty shots. :D Over all I like it, its simple and explains how to fight a lefty fighter that only likes three moves.

Don't intentionally bypass the word filter. -Winfang
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby varadin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:56 am

Arkin wrote:What is up with the straps being so low on the shield?

ive seen that a lot recently, noticed PTQ is doing as well. guessing it works better for a lower shield arm and still covering your shoulder. I fight punch so i havent looked into it but anyone wana shed some light
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern

Postby Derian » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 am

It's more of a 'where is your arm most comfortable' sort of thing, as I understand it.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Kerb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 am

Not just comfort, although that is a huge part of it, but having your arm low means you have more travel to block high and can move your arm around easier since the muscles are loose and not constricted.
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Slagar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:33 am

My complaint is that this tends to work very poorly with cored shields. I hate coreless shields, they always feel flimsy on my arm, no real back-bone to 'em. To use a cored strap with straps lower than mid-way would be really awkward. This is something we're going to see a lot of coreless straps using in the near future, but I don't think it's practical for heavy Belegarth-grade gear, for the most part. I could be wrong, though, wouldn't be the first time. Actually, does anyone know if p-quick's shield is coreless, and where he has the straps?
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby p_quick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 am

i've got some cored ones and some coreless ones. and my straps are pretty low.

Slagar don't be afraid of change. it will only put you behind the curve.

people have been doing this for years with shields other then rounds, look at galin and kenny's heater shield. the straps are off set to help protect the shoulder. it's just that no one has done it (in our game) with rounds at least that i know of.

The foam i used for my shield is some pretty stout stuff. Ask Dagganoth if my shield rim still packed a punch.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Slagar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:45 am

p_quick wrote:Slagar don't be afraid of change. it will only put you behind the curve.

Ahem. I use a rogue company grip (often, not always), I use a low stance, I stab more than anyone else in Numenor. I'm not worried about falling behind the curve. I'm just voicing a past experience, and a prediction. If you have some 6# (or whatever) foam that works for a strapped coreless shield, that's a really cool idea. I also don't like ultra-light gear. I use a tech-ply shield, and that's about as light as I'll ever use (I'm already kind of ashamed to be using that much). Some degree of realism and challenge to my gear helps keep me working hard.

As for low-ish straps, I know they work beautifully with heaters, tear-drops, and other wierd designs, and I've seen them work with rounds. However, from that vid, it looks like glen's straps are about 4-5 inches from the bottom of his shield. I don't see how that could be made to work with a proper, heavy, shield. It'd be top heavy, and you'd tax your forearm trying to hold it at the right angle, much less straight vertical. At least, that's what I'd picture. Maybe I'm missing something. Like I said, it wouldn't be the first time.

Not everyone who has doubts about other systems is burying their head in fear of change, Peter. I'm more than willing to adopt anything that works (and isn't cheese). I just don't necessarily think that every idea anyone voices is a good one.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Relevant discussion on e-sam about shield strapping: http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... hp?t=16830

My straps are almost directly in the center of my shield, vertically. They are close to the edge laterally. My shield is 2.2lb foam, and is pretty stiff. Especially wrapped in a couple layers of Gorilla tape.

If you wanted a foam shield, but also wanted something as stiff as wood, you could go with 6lb. Anything over 3lb is probably going to require padding... It really stops being 'foam' and starts being 'aerated solid plastic'.

Slagar, if your shield strapping works for you, keep it. If you want to try something different, do that. Some things are really more effective than others. Other things, however, are just a matter of style and preference. Shield strapping can be done poorly, but there are also several ways to do it right. It all depends on your fighting style and what works for you.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby gmop » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Arkin wrote:the video is taking forever to load the little bit I saw it looks pretty funny. What is up with the straps being so low on the shield?

Kerb covered half of why my shield is strapped that way: comfort and quicker reaction time.

The second half of why my shield is strapped that way has to do with my fighting style. I rarely block my legs with my shield, instead relying on footwork to avoid low shots. I'm also using a fairly small strap shield for my size (it is 26", I am 6'2") and I chose to focus on higher rather than lower defense with the shield. I also do a fair amount of under-the-shield shots, and that is one area I am working on furthering, so that was yet another reason for strapping my shield the way it is.

Flimsiness is overcome by two things. First, and of lesser impact, my shield is usually backed by my bicep, so that provides a third point of support against high hard shots. Second, and of far greater impact, is proper strapping. My straps are sturdy and well anchored. With a good grip, I have a great deal of control of my shield. Before the advent of all foam shields I used a much heavier cored shield, with similar strap placement. I did experience some arm fatigue, but only after six or more hours of continuous fighting. I expect most heavy shields will have that effect on people, no matter how they are strapped.

If you strap it wrong, or your straps are not firm and well anchored, you will end up with a flimsy-feeling, top-heavy shield. I made a mistake strapping a shield once and it was just plain awful. So you are correct in your analysis, but the problem can be overcome.

-Glen, MoP
gmop
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1982
Realm: None
Unit: None

Postby p_quick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:30 pm

gmop wrote:
If you strap it wrong, or your straps are not firm and well anchored, you will end up with a flimsy-feeling, top-heavy shield. I made a mistake strapping a shield once and it was just plain awful. So you are correct in your analysis, but the problem can be overcome.

-Glen, MoP

that is more or less what i was going to say but glen put it in better words then i would have. Also what my biggest point was slagar was to keep an open mind about it.

i've been shocked by how open alot of people have been with the ideas i've been translating into our game, I'm not trying to "cheese" anything, i'm trying to better our game by introducing ideas that never took hold in our game.

You should be skeptical of things you don't know but you should also be willing to observe and use what you deem as a good idea, like you did with the rogue grip.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby gmop » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:00 pm

What is a "rogue grip"? Is it a modified French grip instead of a fist grip?

French Grip

Italian grip
*Could not find a picture*
I've seen Peter use this one. The thumb and forefinger actually rest upon the blade. It gives more strength and stability at the cost of speed and maneuverability.

-Glen, MoP
gmop
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1982
Realm: None
Unit: None

Postby Slagar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Rogue grip is the Italian grip, and it's also the one Peter uses most of the time. Also, the lack of maneuverability thing is true for saber or epee but in Bel/Dag/Amt, it actually works quite nicely for high wraps and finagling under shields for stabs. Having fenced, I can tell you right now that Italian grip must have been designed for Bel/Dag, because it sure as hell wasn't for saber.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby p_quick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:56 pm

yea i use a modified saber grip

I'm not really sure what the difference between french and italian is. so what you are saying is probably true.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Arkin wrote:something witty

With the word filter being an OPTION you can turn OFF, by doing this all your doing is forcing all the people who don't want to read cursing to read it. Like Peregrine, who normally browses the internet from his classroom, in a church. If you type **** you get the point across, all the people who don't want to read it see stars, all the people who don't care see ****. It's not rocket science.
Last edited by Big King Jimmy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Arkin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:11 pm

sorry I didnt think about that
Last edited by Arkin on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Winfang » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 pm

I edited your original post so the word filter will catch it.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Roland Demox » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:06 pm

gmop wrote: I also do a fair amount of under-the-shield shots

This intrigues me....anybody willing to make an instructional video on these shots, id much like to see them thrown into a spar
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Kaimelar Morikayun » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:32 pm

(Lefty) These may not be the only three shots I throw, but I definitely throw them often =D haha. And...they work =P. Ugh, thanks for blowin' the secret. The nice part about this vid is that it works the same exact way if you switch it up. i'm linking it to mah fightin' buddies and then im gonna be * when they start blockin those and killin' mah =P.
Kai, Captain of Wargar, Squire to Sir Lotek.
Work it Harder, Make it Better, Do it Faster, Makes us Stronger, More than Ever, Hour after Our Work is Never Over...
Kaimelar Morikayun
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2003
Realm: Durdemarion
Unit: Wargar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board/Single Blue.

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training