Whats a good style?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Whats a good style?

Postby Austin12157 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Im new and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what style to use. i was thinking about a red or two blues. Are shields really that great cause i see a lot of people using them. it seems like a red is a easy target for a shield user cause you just rush in and take them out.......

any tips would be great thanks....
Austin12157
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: None yet
Unit: None yet
Favorite Fighting Styles: None yet

Re: Whats a good style?

Postby Derian » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Start with whatever seems cool to you. If you don't like it, try something else.

Most people try out several styles before settling on one or two they focus on.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Black Cat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Work on your 1 vs. 1 single-blue sparring with a sword first, and do it often for the first few months. That will teach you the basics for most melee styles and help teach you the control and technique you will need to fight well, especially if you decide to use larger swung weapons.

Where you go from there is up to you.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Kerb » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Austin12157 wrote:Im new and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what style to use. i was thinking about a red or two blues. Are shields really that great cause i see a lot of people using them. it seems like a red is a easy target for a shield user cause you just rush in and take them out.......

any tips would be great thanks....

Derian has the right answer here, use whatever style is the most fun for you.
If you later feel the need to get better, then move on to the second suggestion from Black Cat.
Its really about finding what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy competition and challenge then you want to progress the way Black Cat mentioned.
If you enjoy going out and fighting to have fun and be in the spirit of things, then you want to progress as Derian mentioned.
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Oct 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty, Florentine,

Postby Austin12157 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Well im not sure if i want to use a red or two blues. What is the main points of them. a red seems cool but not useful on such a shield heavy playing field where as two blues would allow you to open up the shield or the sword arms.

i guess what im asking is once you get the first hit off on the foes shield wont they just rush forward and take you out where the large size of your weapon is useless?

im looking for a good style and while i would love to run around with a red sword im getting the feeling that two blues is more practical.
Austin12157
Recruit
Recruit

Postby bo1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 pm

the best method to get better, use a 28" round shield and a short 30-34" blue weapon. this will teach you to block with your sword, move your legs, block with your shield, be agressive with your shield, and get better faster cause you will be alive a bit longer with that shield strapped to your arm.

then when battles are winding down for the practice, use a single sword in your off hand. this will teach you to block and strike with your off hand. then once you have both of these down, you are ready to try flourtine, 2 sword style.

there are drills you can do called blockstrike, it is the single best thing to help your game i have found. then you can practice baiting the leg and pulling it out of the way, while simultainiously swiping at the opponets arm/shoulder. another great technique.

if that isn't what you want to do then you are not looking to put the most game on in the shortest time.

in which case do what is the most fun for you. after all it is just a stupid game of tag with foamy swordy thingys. whoever has the most fun wins, that is a fact.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Austin12157 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:31 pm

is there anyone who can tell me what would be a good non shield style? i really dont like shields and as far as i can tell red or two blues is the only other styles that are used. im just asking because a lot of people say to start out using sword and board to get the hang of how its done but i would avoid spending any length of time using a shield if i can.....
Austin12157
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Juicer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Spear is made of win.
Zwei ap Owen wrote:Juicer sho' nuff loves tuh shuffle.

Juiceros, the Deceptron. Kwisatz Haderach Musketeer from the future
Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 Aug 2004
Realm: Babylon. Blood in blood out.
Unit: HH
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brass knucks

Postby Derian » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:35 pm

There are as many styles as you can think of.

Great sword
Spear
Glaive
Single sword
Florentine (Two Swords)
Single dagger
Two daggers
Dagger & Sword
Archery

Seriously, just start fighting. If you think fighting with a red is cool, then do it. If you don't like it, then stop and do something else. No one can tell you what style you'll enjoy.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Arrakis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:39 pm

If you're worried about getting shield-rushed as a redsword wielder, snag a shieldman as a buddy and work as a team. Otherwise, get good at the backpedal or at faking and leg-sniping.

Florentine... you definitely want to start with sword'n'board or single sword and try some off-hand stuff first. Otherwise, you're left hand will be wildly inaccurate and crazy-like. But Flor is a PILE of fun once you get half-decent at it.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby BBBlitz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:30 am

don't give up the red man its a lot of fun and with it being a shield heavy sport like you said you will become a valuable asset in the end try utilizing the unique component to the red sward get down those red hit and then learn how to take a big step back and red hit the shield again plus practicing at home is a quick way to getting down the red hits just swing that hulking thing around each day and get quick with it red is my fav and i can block a lot of close shots with it now a day when a sward and board gets to close good luck man

P.S. i don't like two blue because its too aggressive for my way of fighting you got to keep swinging with them and still be able to bloc at any moment i don't have the coordination for that and you might find you don't ether
BBBlitz
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2002
Realm: ebonhold

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:26 pm

BBBlitz wrote:don't give up the red man its a lot of fun and with it being a shield heavy sport like you said you will become a valuable asset in the end try utilizing the unique component to the red sward get down those red hit and then learn how to take a big step back and red hit the shield again plus practicing at home is a quick way to getting down the red hits just swing that hulking thing around each day and get quick with it red is my fav and i can block a lot of close shots with it now a day when a sward and board gets to close good luck man

P.S. i don't like two blue because its too aggressive for my way of fighting you got to keep swinging with them and still be able to bloc at any moment i don't have the coordination for that and you might find you don't ether

The period key isn't broken on your keyboard, you typed P.S. Use that key more.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby The Great Gigsby » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:36 pm

A little tangential, but why do people with red weapons so often insist on hitting their opponent in the one place where they are guaranteed to do no damage*? Of course they're gonna pin you and run you down, that's what shields are supposed to do, especially if you commit all your energy to a big retarded overhead shield breaking swing.

"But Giggles" you ask, "how then do I kill someone without first hitting them twice in the one place that I can't do any damage*?" Then I sigh deeply and slap you.

Seriously though, you can be just as effective with a red as with any other combination if you're smart about it. It's not that much different from fighting with a one handed weapon, just a different range game and with fewer defenses. Shield breaking is the strawberry on your shortcake.

*PROTIP: IT'S THE SHIELD
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby BBBlitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:26 am

in reply to big jimmy and this comment:

I hope that you realize that the only thing you accomplish by being a grammar * is * people off I understand that it may be annoying for you and all but I've never used proper grammar and I cant spell that's not going to change just because you want to be an English teacher it doesn't mean your smarter it doesn't mean your better no one thinks your cool because of it so why do you insist on informing everybody that there
education was not as good as yours I knew my teachers where bad at there job but what was I supposed to do about it

now for the hostile response suck a fat one you *
BBBlitz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Black Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:40 am

BBBlitz wrote:in reply to big jimmy and this comment:

I hope that you realize that the only thing you accomplish by being a grammar * is * people off I understand that it may be annoying for you and all but I've never used proper grammar and I cant spell that's not going to change just because you want to be an English teacher it doesn't mean your smarter it doesn't mean your better no one thinks your cool because of it so why do you insist on informing everybody that there
education was not as good as yours I knew my teachers where bad at there job but what was I supposed to do about it

now for the hostile response suck a fat one you *

Not to be disrespectful, but I can barely follow what you are even trying to say. Trying to determine where one sentence ends and the next one begins when there are no periods is guesswork at best. That is what Big Jimmy was getting at when he said that.

His comment may have been rude, but his point is valid. You need to start using punctuation, or people on here are not going to be able to understand you.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dane » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:53 am

DURR wrote:I hope that you realize that the only thing you accomplish by being a grammar * is * people off. I understand that it may be annoying for you and all, but I've never used proper grammar and I can't spell; that's not going to change just because you want to be an English teacher. It doesn't mean you're smarter, it doesn't mean you're better, and no one thinks you're cool because of it. Why do you insist on telling everyone that their education was not as good as yours was? I know my teachers were bad at their jobs, but what was I supposed to do about it?

Now for the hostile response: suck a fat one, you *!

Fixed so Jimmy can make sense of the stuff being thrown his way.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby BBBlitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:59 am

Black Cat wrote:His comment may have been rude, but his point is valid. You need to start using punctuation, or people on here are not going to be able to understand you.

well punctuation was always my bad suit and I will probity never get it down and all I was trying to say is bringing it up only irritates people and makes them respond badly

and now again hostility

notice how I used "and" a lot that meant I'm adding to the sentence proper or not its not rocket science also I noticed you used the word "but" while talking to me meaning "on the other hand" in most cases I now know you will redirect the sentence no need for comma now the next part is a direct statement end of sentence wow this is hard then you used the word "or" another option interesting drop the comma again... full sentence... nothing o look your done talking and i got the point why do you need dot to deduce that? o look a question mark did you all get that

Dane wrote:Fixed so Jimmy can make sense of the stuff being thrown his way.

o thank you so much for that your such a big help pat on back your so nice we all needed that what will we do without you
BBBlitz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:08 am

BBBlitz, don't be a douchesicle. When you would take a break while speaking, or when you are ending a thought and not using a conjunction (and, or, but), toss in a period. It's not hard, I promise.

Jesus, you'd think the American public education system was failing our youth...
Arrakis

Postby BBBlitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:17 am

arrakis i think i know that name do you fight in the wast

let me explain I haven't even been on the forums for 48 hours and people are already * about my bad grammar how do you think I feel about that do you guys just not want me to be part of the community or do you guys just have such a big superiority you have to point out every mistake people make this is why I stopped blogging years ago
BBBlitz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Black Cat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:21 am

BBBlitz wrote:arrakis i think i know that name do you fight in the wast

let me explain I haven't even been on the forums for 48 hours and people are already * about my bad grammar how do you think I feel about that do you guys just not want me to be part of the community or do you guys just have such a big superiority you have to point out every mistake people make this is why I stopped blogging years ago

Unless his profile is inaccurate, no he does not fight in the west. Connecticut and Kentucky are both in the eastern U.S.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BBBlitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:27 am

o look it does display that my bad

BTW sorry for all that guys, this is a pet peeve of mine and I start to loose my cool. I know I have bad grammar and don't like to get reminded of what I already know
BBBlitz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby varadin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 am

WAY to sidetrack the thread guys.

Back on topic. No style is better then another, in the game things change and it means that styles change. You must adapt at all times. If you go out and fight one way and only one way you will do well vs some and horrible vs others. Now i don't mean sword and board vs pole vs archers. I mean switching up stances and tactics within those weapons.

Do what makes you happy, if you take this game too serious you get burnt out and angry and that is not good for anyone. Learn whatever you can from anyone, take everything with a grain of salt if it will work for you apply it, if its **** remember it so you expect it vs someone else.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Chicken » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 am

Giggles wrote:"But Giggles" you ask, "how then do I kill someone without first hitting them twice in the one place that I can't do any damage*?" Then I sigh deeply and slap you.

QFT&Hilarity. I'm almost tempted to make that my sig, except the one I've got is still so relevant.

BBBlitz - read the sig. No one hates you*, it's just that no one wants to read posts which are nearly incomprehensible.

*Tor probably hates you, but he doesn't hang out here so you're safe for now. Akbar definitely hates you, but don't worry about that.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Arrakis » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:39 am

BBBlitz wrote:o look it does display that my bad

BTW sorry for all that guys, this is a pet peeve of mine and I start to loose my cool. I know I have bad grammar and don't like to get reminded of what I already know

No problem, bro. We just want to feel like you're making an effort, you know? Some of us have to work pretty hard to punctuate our posts correctly or spell things correctly and just want to feel like we're making that effort for nothing.

That last post was fine and dandy, by the by.

And yeah, BC got ya: I'm from Dur-D originally and will be activating a Realm (that will fight as part of a new unit of Anvard, probably under the same name, in Dagorhir) in Connecticut quite shortly.
Arrakis

Postby Austin12157 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Anyway i think im going to go with a red with a blue for backup. The reason being is that if i make a blue i can use it for up close if a shield user gets in too close and its a good place to start with as far as foam smithing goes....

if the blue i make is ok then im going to give a shot at making a larger red version....
Austin12157
Recruit
Recruit

Postby BBBlitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:22 pm

to: Austin12157
Well good luck with that. I hope you become a better fighter. If you are in the west I hope to see you at an event sometime (so I may test your metal).

to: everyone else
Was that better?
BBBlitz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Slagar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:18 pm

BBBlitz wrote:to: everyone else
Was that better?

Much. Thank you for the effort, man. I know the guys on here can come on a little strong, but they're not out just to ruin your day (most of 'em, anyways). They just find it hard to make these boards the useful tools they can be, without a little bit of polish, sometimes. Again, thanks for trying to work with everyone. Some of the vets on here could take notes.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:01 pm

I apologize for being rude, but just like you said you've been on the board for 2 days, best to start now.

This board does expect a higher level of grammar and spelling than you're apparently used to. It's just the culture of this community. It doesn't mean we hate you, it just means that we read this board for fun, and trying to dig through a block of text with no punctuation is not fun for us. I could give two **** and a **** about spelling most of the time, and a comma splice here or a missed caplital there doesn't bother me, but that was over the top.

And I'm studying to be an Electrical Engineer, actually, I hate English. (The subject, obviously.)
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Shino » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Western Mantis Style cannot be beat. This is not a beginner's style FYI.
Merciless Michael of God Squad
Gelfan Empire
Dragoon and Knight of Babylon
Shino
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Babylon
Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mantis

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Shino wrote:This is not a beginner's style FYI.

I agree, mantis-style is known for eating friends as much as enemies. You cannot contain Western Mantis Style, nor it's wrath.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby MeleeMoses » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:32 pm

let the boy dream
GS
"He may look like a hippie...But he's a warmonger"-Goat
MeleeMoses
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: GodSquad

Postby Arrakis » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:40 pm

'remy wrote:...nor it's wrath.

A style that comes with its own wrath? Daaaaaaamn!
Arrakis

Postby Kerb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:55 am

Arrakis wrote:
'remy wrote:...nor it's wrath.

A style that comes with its own wrath? Daaaaaaamn!

Which is to say the reverse of KHAAAAAAN! A Wrath with a style all it's own...
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Oct 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty, Florentine,

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am

nerds :P
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training