3-6-2009 Brennon and Spyn single short

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

3-6-2009 Brennon and Spyn single short

Postby Brennon EH » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9Gmj9LHr0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4beit_a63E
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EocB_pOJKts

Single sword sparring. Excellent form, and some really good exchanges. The footwork and range control are really solid. Also, notice the lack of high crossing.

Our fighting definitions video is shot, too. Once I get that edited and ready to go, I'll put those videos up. Should be sometime next week, probably.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Re: 3-6-2009 Brennon and Spyn single short

Postby Derian » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Excellent. I'll have to give this a watch when I don't have biochemistry to study.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Arkin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:52 pm

I get why blocking a shot with the pommel high up then the tip of the sword down works for returning shots. But do you really like holding your stance like that when trying to control range?
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby p_quick » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 pm

awesome stuff thanks B and Spyn
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:58 am

Arkin wrote:I get why blocking a shot with the pommel high up then the tip of the sword down works for returning shots. But do you really like holding your stance like that when trying to control range?

It is easy to throw a hard shot very quickly at a long range when holding the sword in that position.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby bo1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:27 am

so i noticed that spyn has a fair bit of lean forward, maybe 15 degrees. i was wondering brennon, can you elaborate how this works for him. it usually causes me to die from wraps. i know spyn is the real deal when it comes to fighting, so clearly it is intentional. just wondering.

thanks bo
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Brennon EH » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 am

bo1 wrote:so i noticed that spyn has a fair bit of lean forward, maybe 15 degrees. i was wondering brennon, can you elaborate how this works for him. it usually causes me to die from wraps. i know spyn is the real deal when it comes to fighting, so clearly it is intentional. just wondering.

He's extending his reach while moving the rest of his torso further away. It also has the effect of slightly lowering his guard and putting his body more behind his guard.

The downside is that it causes him to be more planted on his front foot, which I abuse him for a lot. In fact, it got to be a game where we intentionally tried to hit each others leg as a kill shot after wounding our opponents. I'm generally able to get my leg moved out of the way better than Seth it, and the video shows that.

Basically, Spyn is dedicated to moving forward from that stance, but it gives him an optimal setup to do so.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby bo1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:02 am

cool, thanks.

so like everything it is a trade off. knowing what that does is the battle.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby p_quick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:03 pm

bump
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby p_quick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 pm

so no one has anything more to say about these videos?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby bo1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:38 pm

no, they arre so awesome that they get a week of silence.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Slagar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Kinda. Are we supposed to critique them? I mean, I know the technique around single blue about as well as anyone, at this point it's just a matter of speed, accuracy, power, footwork, center line manipulation, all those little details that need to be honed through practice. There's not much to learn from these vids, most fighters who are interested know the theory by now (at least, I'd assume so, maybe I'm wrong). Practice, for hours and hours, for months and years, against skilled opponents, and technique and pell work to burn the shots into your arms, are all that's left. This is more or less just Spyn and Brennon showing us what it looks like when you finally get it all right. Which, while interesting and impressive, don't really need anything to be said. It's a sort of compliment, I suppose. They've gotten it so perfected that there's really nothing left to say.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby p_quick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 pm

some of what you said is true but honestly if you look at these vids and say there is nothing to learn because you know all the theory then i say you are ignorant.

Believe what you want but i disagree with you, strongly.

The least you could do is say thanks.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Dane » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Slagar wrote:This is more or less just Spyn and Brennon showing us what it looks like when you finally get it all right. Which, while interesting and impressive, don't really need anything to be said. It's a sort of compliment, I suppose. They've gotten it so perfected that there's really nothing left to say.

This is Slagar saying that the material in the vids is topnotch. That should suffice as a "thank you."

Grumpy PtQ wrote:if you look at these vids and say there is nothing to learn because you know all the theory then i say you are ignorant.

Believe what you want but i disagree with you, strongly.

Easy there, big guy. Is it you or the sentient 'stache typing? One of you is calling him ignorant, and the other says his opinion's valid but you disagree with it. Be easy.

On to the vids:

These really are geared toward the fighter that's been studying single blue with more than a passive interest. The fighters use a variety of stances and grips that I wouldn't try to teach to a newer fighter because said newer fighter wouldn't have the tools necessary to employ them.

What these videos do show are tons of single blue technique and theory performed with peerless execution. You see great footwork, posture, and body mechanics. Notice how they almost never swing without taking a step, and they almost always throw a safe shot or feint when closing or disengaging. They're constantly moving in and out of range; they don't just stand and deliver.

I like the mental tug-of-war going on in these videos the best. These guys are throwing incredible feints and masterful misdirection, and it's fun to watch the way they react to each other. You could fish for weeks with the amount of bait they're tossing out, and, in my opinion, this is the real meat of the videos.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Slagar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:43 am

What Dane said.

Also, I didn't mean that I couldn't learn from these videos, in the sense that I've got nothing left to learn. Far from it. I meant that what I have left to learn (and anyone who's fought me single blue knows there's plenty) can't be learned from my laptop, in a chair. No matter how good a video is, at some point stops mattering, because eventually the only way to actually learn anything further is to get out and try it. That's what I meant, Peter.

And, for the record, ease off. I really don't need to be called ignorant, or defend every comment I make. I work just as hard as almost anybody here to improve my game, and I'm willing to learn from anyone who can teach me. You really need to get off my case, man. This isn't the first time you've jumped down my throat, and it's not appreciated.

Edit: Edited to be less combative. I really shouldn't post when I'm sleep-deprived.
Last edited by Slagar on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Brennon EH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:10 am

I put this stuff up because I thought people might be interested in watching it, and because I might get some feedback/critique on it. Despite what Spyn might say in public, both of us still have a lot to learn and improve upon, and you never know where you're going to find the next catalyst for that.

So if you've watched it and thought it was interesting, that's great! If you've got something to say about it, even better. If not, that's fine too.

Thanks,
Brennon
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Solusar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 am

bo1 wrote:so i noticed that spyn has a fair bit of lean forward, maybe 15 degrees. i was wondering brennon, can you elaborate how this works for him. it usually causes me to die from wraps. i know spyn is the real deal when it comes to fighting, so clearly it is intentional. just wondering.

thanks bo

It also helps gauge your opponents range as well as makes them guess your range and the angles of attack you'll use since your weapon is a little more in their face. This does leave your arms more open to attack, and I can see a bad fighter over compensating their leg blocks from that stance, but Spyn doesn't do that.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Brennon EH wrote:I put this stuff up because I thought people might be interested in watching it, and because I might get some feedback/critique on it. Despite what Spyn might say in public, both of us still have a lot to learn and improve upon, and you never know where you're going to find the next catalyst for that.

Joe the Plumber, fixing the economy....
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Sir Killian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:28 pm

brennon,
I've been trying you single sword stance recently and enjoying some success...although i notice it leaves my bicep more susceptible to sniper shots... any suggestions?
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby Brennon EH » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Sir Killian wrote:brennon,
I've been trying you single sword stance recently and enjoying some success...although i notice it leaves my bicep more susceptible to sniper shots... any suggestions?

Hmmm... which stance are you using, exactly? Can you post a picture? I can probably help you work it out.

B
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby xiao » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm

lol

i strive to be more of a jackie chan style fighter, this just isnt silly enough!
xiao
SLAYER

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training