Quarterstaff Users?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Quarterstaff Users?

Postby Keisai, of Amaterasu » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:01 am

ok.. i have seen on edhelen that they only sell striking quarterstaffs and none have stab tips, id like to get my hands on one myself.. i have been going to the Realm known as Ravenfeast for a while. they had a quarterstaff out for usage of whoever got it but it was NFS obviously. and im not very good at personally customizing weapons. i was wondering on tips for customizing one from edhelen or finding a quarterstaff with a strike and stab capability at both ends...

and i was also curious as to making a quarterstaff thread seeing as not many people use them and there is no current thread for them.

so... ill just wait and see what i get. out of the replies... and what comes up on proper technique...
:axes: When You've Been Beaten Too Many Times To Care You Have Nothing To Lose :axes:
:axes: Someone With Nothing To Lose Is Your Deadliest Enemy Or Your Greatest Ally :axes:
Keisai, of Amaterasu
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Ravenfeast
Unit: Order of the Lich
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweilander with Dagger

Re: Quarterstaff Users?

Postby Cyric » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:30 am

Quarterstaves are generally ineffective on the field and in sparring, unless you backstab a lot, or get lucky. check the foam smithing forum, there's a ton of stuff about quarterstaves there. Or, do a whole board search, as this has been beaten to death.

You can get a custom one from edhellen, and having a stabby tip on it would increase it's usefulness, but only by a little. The problem with them is that you leave too many openings when you swing it.

They can be fun, but if you're looking at them from the standpoint of battlefield effectiveness, they're pretty useless.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Derian » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:25 am

Here's a thread that will answer most any question you might have about quarterstaffs: viewtopic.php?f=135&t=27706
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Keisai, of Amaterasu » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Cyric wrote:Quarterstaves are generally ineffective on the field and in sparring, unless you backstab a lot, or get lucky. check the foam smithing forum, there's a ton of stuff about quarterstaves there. Or, do a whole board search, as this has been beaten to death.

You can get a custom one from edhellen, and having a stabby tip on it would increase it's usefulness, but only by a little. The problem with them is that you leave too many openings when you swing it.

They can be fun, but if you're looking at them from the standpoint of battlefield effectiveness, they're pretty useless.

i am rather decent with a quarterstaff. my father whome was in military taught me to use one. i can take a shield head on and im fast enough to dodge attacks without a problem. with a dagger on side the quarterstaff can prove quite useful. it is all i use on the field and 7 times out of ten i usually come out as one of the last 5 standing. and i dont much backstab. i prefer to call them out on the field... if i do sneak its mere payback.. otherwise i call out and approacch them from 10 feet awat hastily.

as for the details on the customized quarterstaff.... id like to see about it... (send me the page link also please?...)all i saw upon edhelen was a strike surface quarterstaff... and on detail it said they were not up for being customized...

common term in my opinion....
the fighter does not choose the weapon. it chooses the fighter.

i took to the quarterstaff faster than florintine and such so i stuck to it and became one of the better on my field.... ive only been fighting for about 3 months... i dont remember the exact day... but over time my headshot ratio was up and went down to 1 a day or less... its a good weapon for those who adjust to use. and the dagger at close hand works wonders.
:axes: When You've Been Beaten Too Many Times To Care You Have Nothing To Lose :axes:
:axes: Someone With Nothing To Lose Is Your Deadliest Enemy Or Your Greatest Ally :axes:
Keisai, of Amaterasu
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:06 am

Just as an FYI, many people will take issue with an attitude like that, especially with quarterstaffs. Most people who give advice on them have been fighting for years and have never seen anyone be effective with them. There are others who's fighting career dwarfs mine, but I've been fighting for 8 years and have never seen or even heard of anyone being even close to effective with a quarterstaff.

Because of the way our rules treat them, they can never be an effective weapon as compared to your other options.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby bo1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:33 am

i would like to meet you some time. i would love to see the effective use of the quater staff. any events you are attending this season?
i am making everything this year, beltaine, sw, arm, chaos, octfest, and many smaller ones.

so lets not see this turn into a flame fest shall we. oh, and congrats on doing well on the local feild. Just so you know, derian had some good advice. we have all heard about how this or that is awesome, usually from some one with minimal experience. this probibly isnt the case with you, but as a board member it is generally frowned on, as a community, to explain your skill, until you make a few larger events. this is a true test of a warrior.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Keisai, of Amaterasu » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 am

i am aware events are far different from home field and such... i believe theres an event known as ragnorok up in ohio... i may be wrong... i do remember theres an event in ohio... i will most likely show up.. i know im tnhe new kid but anywho i would not mind being beaten... what you dont win only makes you stronger.. so it wont bother me in the least... i love to learn.. an even though others do not like the quarterstaff... most take it as useless or less... others as a straight offense... i find it more as a balanced item. it fits most situations..

when it comes down to a sword and board. they are most troubling... especialy with quarterstaffs.. i find the best thing with quarterstaff is to evade and avoid hits.. otherwise find a way around.... i honestly charge the shield jump and stab them with the dagger... may not work all the time but it does the trick..

i understand the quarterstaff may not come in favor to most fighters.... but it teaches you to up your evasion if anything.... i find it to be my overall weapon of choice...
Keisai, of Amaterasu
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyric » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:29 am

All fighting styles incorporate evasion and hit avoidance. it's pretty much the name of the game. Maybe i'll see you on the field sometime, and we'll see how good a quarterstaff is. i'll leave it at that.

As for the edhellen one, just send them an email at orders@edhellen.com and tell them you would like a quarterstaff with stabby tips.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:29 am

This thread is for the lulz. But!

I applaud Cyric and Bo (and Derian) for their extraordinarily mature and reasoned responses to the originator of this thread. Excellent job, guys; way to represent the sport well.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:31 pm

I have laughed at people's chosen weapons combos before (as a shield and sword fighter-I usually get to feel comfortable about my choice of gear). In Andor, I saw a kid with a short spear and dagger, and I thought, whatever-easy kill for shields. However, this kid knew every shield would rush him and had adjusted his style to counter a shield-man's typical attack. I saw a lot of shield people get taken out with punch daggers that day-much to their surprise. I think that most of the time weapon choice is like rock-paper-scissors, but every so often you will meet a person who wants "paper to beat scissors" so badly, that they will train themselves so they can make it happen. I think its fine to say 99% of the time the quarterstaff sucks. But if this person is in the 1% of people who CAN make it work, aren't we the haughty ones to suggest otherwise?

Until we meet in battle (AND I won't be underestimating you),
-Anastasia of Chamonix
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Keisai, of Amaterasu » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:I have laughed at people's chosen weapons combos before (as a shield and sword fighter-I usually get to feel comfortable about my choice of gear). In Andor, I saw a kid with a short spear and dagger, and I thought, whatever-easy kill for shields. However, this kid knew every shield would rush him and had adjusted his style to counter a shield-man's typical attack. I saw a lot of shield people get taken out with punch daggers that day-much to their surprise. I think that most of the time weapon choice is like rock-paper-scissors, but every so often you will meet a person who wants "paper to beat scissors" so badly, that they will train themselves so they can make it happen. I think its fine to say 99% of the time the quarterstaff sucks. But if this person is in the 1% of people who CAN make it work, aren't we the haughty ones to suggest otherwise?

Until we meet in battle (AND I won't be underestimating you),
-Anastasia of Chamonix

thank you Malady... ill se to spotting you on the battlefield... as for the others... i have no mind as to who frowns down on me.. as she said... Scissors against Rocks... or paper to scissors... if you adapt to the ability of the weapon anything is possible...

another fun technique... rush the shield.. and when they go to swing.... push them back with a bit of Access force and take the arm quickly... and use the dagger to finish the job... its worked for me so far... although... if the other guy is bigger it isnt wise... i learned that one... i still killed him when he opened to take a swing... but when i rushed him i bounced off like a tennis ball on a concrete wall... -_-
Keisai, of Amaterasu
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Poo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:37 pm

I actually saw a guy at Opener fighting with a quarter staff like a madu for those of you that know what it is in his left hand, a short sword in his right hand, and a buckler on his left arm. Seemed to work pretty well for him. But thats fighting with a madu, not a quarterstaff.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Argent » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 pm

madus are allowed?
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Postby Derian » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:41 pm

No, but you can hold both a small quarterstaff and a punch buckler in your hand like a madu.

Shields cannot do damage, so they have to be separate pieces of equipment, but you can certainly hold both at the same time.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Brennon EH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:00 am

As a show of cooperation and goodwill between our two societies, I will be sending anybody who wants to use a quarterstaff over to Belegarth.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:34 am

Keisai- If you are good with a quarterstaff goood for you. However, there are a lot of reasons that people don't use them and they are ineffective. The main one being that a quarterstaff in belegarth is nothing like a real quarterstaff. Quarterstaffs narrow at the tips giving the ability to get in small spaces. They are also used to hit people in the head and trip people. This is not true of belegarth quarterstaves. They are wider on the ends, making it hard (almost impossible) to get into small openings (between a person and a shield) and you can't hit people in the head or trip people. The physics of a real quarterstaff, and one of ours are totally different.

I'm not trying to rain out your fun ( so keep using them as long as they are fun), but they are not effective.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Keisai, of Amaterasu » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:57 am

Mekoot Gorlock wrote:Keisai- If you are good with a quarterstaff goood for you. However, there are a lot of reasons that people don't use them and they are ineffective. The main one being that a quarterstaff in belegarth is nothing like a real quarterstaff. Quarterstaffs narrow at the tips giving the ability to get in small spaces. They are also used to hit people in the head and trip people. This is not true of belegarth quarterstaves. They are wider on the ends, making it hard (almost impossible) to get into small openings (between a person and a shield) and you can't hit people in the head or trip people. The physics of a real quarterstaff, and one of ours are totally different.

I'm not trying to rain out your fun ( so keep using them as long as they are fun), but they are not effective.

i get what you mean.... although... i find a quarterstaff to be quite the fun when you know what to do... i more or less enjoy taking off legs... heh.. i like the reach they give me... i know it isnt as great as a real quarter staff... ive studied them too... but it makes Belegarth so much more challenging... it isnt who has the bigger weapon.. or such... its more to who can use that weapon and who is having more fun in my opinion.. and i honestly think using a Quarter staff is fun and also much more challenging... so even though ineffective... it could be nice to use one just for the Experience of mastering it am i right?...
Keisai, of Amaterasu
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyric » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Brennon EH wrote:As a show of cooperation and goodwill between our two societies, I will be sending anybody who wants to use a quarterstaff over to Belegarth.

gee... that's real.... swell... of you. :finger:

;)
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training