Stabbing Techniques

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Stabbing Techniques

Postby Solusar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:43 pm

I recently added a stabbing tip to my sword and did some sparring with it yesterday. This brings me to the question, how do I effectively add stabs to my fighting repertoire? I watched the Stabs N' Feints videos from SKBC and I'm going to delve into SCA videos soon. But those are slightly different games than ours and I'm curious how you guys are effectively doing Bel/Dag stabs.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Re: Stabbing Techniques

Postby Slagar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:38 pm

As a lefty, all my stabs are gift-wrapped and handed to me. Gotta love the sword-side access. I've no idea how righties manage to pull them off. Peter the Quick has solid stab techniques he teaches, but I'm not sure if he has any videos to offer. The only one I feel comfortable using against other lefties is the shoulder pocket, which basically lets you use the top of their shield as a guide. The idea is that you stab them in their sword shoulder, between the collarbone and the trap muscles, or beneath the collarbone, with your sword flat against the top of their shield to guide it in. Other than that, I'm in the dark too, and would be interested to learn a few.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Kerb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:23 am

When not hand matched, stabs are a bit harder to achieve for Sword and Board vs. Sword and Board. Slagar mentioned a good one with the high pocket stab. The only other decent stabs when in this situation are your low stabs.
A word of caution some of these stabs are directly designed to go right into your opponents crotch.

Can-Opener: Hit your opponent's shield, dead on, then bend your knees so your sword drags down the face of the shield, as soon as you feel the tip of the sword get past the bottom of their shield, stand back up straight.

Low Shield Side Stab: Step diagonally forward and to your opponents shield side, (in Bel you may also wish punch your shield into theirs to keep it from moving), drop your hand low and to the outside, then twist your hips around to make sure that you have enough power to push through any shield block that your opponent may have gotten down there. (This may also benefit from the sword turn that I saw in one of Peter's videos, turn the blade 90 degrees so that it becomes easier to get past the shield)

Now if your opponent is not S&B, then stabbing should be much easier, just remember the most important part of stabbing is never stab at a straight angle to your opponent, always try to get as close to a 45 degree angle as possible in relation to your opponent.
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Oct 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty, Florentine,

Postby Winfang » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 am

The pocket stab is good s&b versus s&b stab. Footwork is key on it. I didn't figure this out until Spyn point out that mine sucked. Here are some notes that I have on how to throw it. This is all based on righty v righty.

-The best range for it is "B" range.
-Footing should be shield foot forward, a little bit off the center line.
-For a faster stab, have the weapon in a higher guard that is almost parallel to the ground.
-Bend at the left knee and push with the right leg. This should cause you move forward and slightly to the left.
-In a shallow arc, target the stab to the pocket (inside the shoulder joint, just below the collar bone).
-When the sword connects the tip should be slightly point down. It shouldn't be completely parallel with the ground, nor should it be angled more then 45 degrees. You want the energy of the stab to go into the person, not skip off them.
-Once your feel the stab stop, pull the shot in the motion. This will setup a block for your exposed right side.

This stab also can be used to setup some feints.

When you successfully pull it off, you feel like "you've harpooned a baby seal" as Peter would say. The shot will feel more like a punch then a slash from the sword. If you don't feel this, you've failed the shot and should try again.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:46 pm

Also keep in mind that the cross shoulder stab (i.e. 'pocket stab') is very situation; it works best on people that are standing square and have poor footwork. Due to a relatively lengthy setup time and exposure while throwing, it is not advisable on high mobility or experienced fighters as an opener. You can use it two or three shots deep... But you've probably got better options at that time.

The best use I find for it is when somebody is walking inside of range rather than sliding.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Solusar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:33 pm

I've seen the Walk vs. Slide/Glide comment before. What is the difference? Is the slide just one fluid forward movement as opposed to a walk involving your head bobbing. Am I close?

Thanks for the advice so far guys, keep it coming.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:06 pm

Walking means crossing your feet. You should never walk when you're in combat range. Always slide.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Bortas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:20 pm

I believe you are talking about this video for walk vs glide/slide.

-bort

edit: darnit, Brennon replied while I was looking up video!
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Postby Sir Cairbre » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 am

Bortas wrote:I believe you are talking about this video for walk vs glide/slide.

-bort

edit: darnit, Brennon replied while I was looking up video!

Glide/slide --LOL

In that video it is funny to see the students half are doing 'Gated steps' the other are doing 'Gathered steps'. In the manual-world it is called 'stepping' And their 'walking' is called 'passing' or 'complete passing'. This isn't something I made up, you can go read a book. the AEMMA's longsword manual covers footwork terminology and is free / online if you know where to find it.

Solusar, I think it is about time I start a footwork thread.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Arrakis » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:17 pm

SirMADOG wrote:the AEMMA's longsword manual covers footwork terminology and is free / online if you know where to find it.

Do you know where to find it.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Sir Cairbre » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Yeah I have a copy printed out on top of my dresser in my bedroom.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training