Help with using a small buckler and blue

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Help with using a small buckler and blue

Postby RIGTAH » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:51 pm

I am looking for some help on how to better use my small buckler and medium blue. I Like the monment it allows me but there are curtain places i have trouble defending myself. For offense the combination of the two is amazing but when the time calls to be defensive it is much hard handle.
Starbucks man.
RIGTAH
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2005
Realm: The dirty D
Unit: brotherhood of the falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: tech round and blue

Re: Help with using a small buckler and blue

Postby Kerb » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:30 pm

When using a buckler and sword, the main thing to always remember is you must punch your opponents weapon to make your blocks.
Now, this is not to say throw a full on punch at their weapon. But more, make sure that when you block you are moving your fist to meet their strike, thus making your block.
Also, since you are using a buckler and sword, you are highly mobile and the best idea for defense is to dodge the shots entirely. Use your footwork and fakes to help your opponent miss you so you can tear them to pieces while they are trying to figure out what just happened.
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Oct 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty, Florentine,

Postby Arrakis » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:18 am

Don't neglect edges. I have a square "target" punch buckler about 15" on a side and I abuse my corners. Remember to throw arm chops when you can (which is often, as your shield isn't in the way of your shot) and to not neglect darkside-type shots. Work on your weapon blocking and your counterstriking.

I find sword'n'buckler work to almost be more like florentine in feel than like sword'n'board.

OH! And make sure you have a stabbing tip. You'll have so many good stab openings against a sword'n'board guy it's not even funny.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:10 pm

First, you need to play to the strengths of your combo. Since movement is life for buckler fighters even more than everyone else, you need not to work in the middle of the line. There are too many threats and too few ways to use footwork to escape. If you are using buckler in a line fight you need to work on the ends and use speed to get further outside.

A concept that I like to think about with shields is the cone of coverage. If you look at an opponent with a buckler, it is obvious that when he moves the shield closer to your eyes more of his body is covered by it. This principle applies to blocking. It’s why Kerb’s point about moving into every block is so key. By getting closer to your opponent’s sword you block more of your body with the same size shield. This of course assumes you don’t let your opponent get a pivot point, i.e. his wrist, past your shield.

For one on one, your best bet is to seize control of the battle and dictate a style and tempo that favors fast paced and movement heavy fighting. In as much as this is defense, using range and side to side defense, is a great substitute for the passive block of a larger shield. However, the true value of a buckler, in my mind is the vast array of fakes it makes available. With a regular sized strap shield you can only ‘show’ a couple of places that might tempt an opponent to swing. With a buckler you have many more options. Fighters are trained to observe movement and react. Often a slight move that exposes some key area briefly can tempt an opponent to swing in a predicable way. This give you plenty of time to use even the smallest buckler to clear his sword and get you inside long enough to take a good clean shot. (a shot which as Arrakis rightly points out, can often be a stab).
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training