Punch or Strap?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Punch or Strap?

Postby Nykas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:19 am

Looked for a while and I couldn't find anything on this, but I may have just missed it:

I usually fight florentine but, due to a bad habit I've developed of impaling myself on arrows (which have finally begun to be somewhat common where I fight), I've been trying fighting with shields, and I like it.

But, I was wondering: what are the benefits of strap shields vs. punch shields, and vice versus? Obviously punch shields can be moved more, and are apparently lighter, being all foam? So what's the benefit of a strap shield? Greater stability? I have limited resources with which to experiment myself, so any opinions people want to offer would be great. Thanks.
Last edited by Nykas on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nykas
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Glaive.

Re: Punch or Strap?

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:18 am

I am a pretty big fan of grip (or punch) shields myself for the reasons you mentioned but there are advantages to strap shields as well. First they provide better passive defense (particularly relevant against arrows). Since they are reasonably well attached to your body and cover a lot of it even when relatively at rest, they are significantly better at passive defense. They are also harder for your opponent to control, either by hitting them hard enough or by feints and leads.

The ability to control a grip shield by hitting it hard is often overstated. A large grip shield can use your body to rest against just the same as a strap shield can which greatly reduces the opponents ability to pivot it on the single grip point. Greatly reduces isn’t the same as eliminates though. With a pole arm especially it is still more possible to pound a grip shield out of the way than a strap.

Feints and leads use the very mobility of a grip shield against it. They are especially effective against smaller grip shields. If you have to move a fair bit to block, then any opponent who can tempt you into blocking the wrong place, will be in a position to attack where the shield no longer covers.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:54 am

Against a larger grip shield, it is also sometimes possible to rotate the shield with a firm thrust. The rotation rarely does you much good, but does wonderful things for anyone standing to your left and looking for it to happen.

It is also easier to turn a strap shield edge-on when you want to move it that way to, for example, discourage people from body-slamming your shield.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Nykas » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:14 pm

So, basically, passive defense and stability versus more mobile defense and light weight?
Nykas
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:14 pm

You can make all-foam straps (I DO NOT recommend it) or a wood-cored punch (I do recommend it).

Try the two kinds in the same shape of shield. Like, make a 28" round punch and a 28" round strap and see what you like best. They just fight differently.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Nykas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 am

In a few weeks I'm going to make a strap with a removable handle, I think. So I can try out each, with the same type of shield, without having to make two shields.
Nykas
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tsume Hanami » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:55 pm

would that even pass?
i made a shield that i can use as a strap and as i punch. it is hard to fight as a punch cuz the handle is just a really THIN piece of cotton fabric but it works. My shiels is wood. try useing a storage tub lid. i made a shield out of one years ago and it worked wonders for me. it passed and i did the same thing like i did with the shield now. i personally liked the storage lid better. then the wood one i have now.
Member of Forsaken
Tsume Hanami
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red and what ever else i feel like that day

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:22 am

I made a sheild to be both grip and strap. The centergrip was recessed behind the shield boss and thus it didnt interfere at all with the straps. It was constructed of 3 inch foam board so there was some room to recess it.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Postby Titan G » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:25 pm

if you can make it to an event peter the quick had a pretty sick **** strap/punch shield at beltaine.

and i dont much about the divergent fighting styles ill leave more of that the amazo fighters like peter and winfang etc etc if you look around there are some good videos of fang somewhere and he has good shield work. however unless you have some serious arm strength issues wood cored shields arent uber heavy and if you are having an issue with that check out the tech ply(unsure of spelling there, just go to the website and look) shields edhellen sells.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Wait, how does he switch from the **** strap to the punch shield? They seem like they would be useful only in very different contexts.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Titan G » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:24 pm

you switch between strap and punch inbetween fights? siwtching in the middle of a battle seems a bit silly to me if thats what your implying. i was just commenting it was possible to build a simultaneously punch strap shield so you expieriment with both styles. if your trying to fight punch and strap in the same battle on purpose then your probably gonna die to the first competent fighter you come against.
ABF
Smile! It's Graavish!
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Sorry, I was trying to make a pun--your post read like Peter had something that served as both a "**** strap" (maybe some sort of Japanese or German product) and a "punch shield."
:roll:

Anyway, yes, that is a good design. I have not used one myself but it seems like it wouldn't be all that hard to use or make.

I prefer punch shield because I feel they can be made smaller relative to the amount of protection that they offer, and a smaller shield allows for greater varieties of technique. You see some guys with tower shields, all they have are the same three flail moves that are totally boring.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Titan G » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:38 pm

yea i am predominatly a punch fighter but because of my size im being forced to move into straps im just a little to wide for punch shields so the double tap ( first tap to the edge to just get the shield to move second taps right on the ribs) gets me predominantly now that i can block most wraps and crossovers. im also liking the solidarity of the strap i find when fighting higher tier fighters they know that swing stength brings speed so the extra weight on a strap is starting to be more comfortable.
ABF
Smile! It's Graavish!
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Jerlaine Trefenwyn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 pm

there is one drawback to the punch shields I've seen that's not listed. Seeing as how there generally made of nothing but foam they don't have the strength as a strap. This being said if you get a big guy like let's say Nash or Forkbeard throwing a shield breaking hit your probably gonna end up flying. The same goes for shield bashing, kicking, and etc... Now me personally I love my strap kite shield...
Squire to Sir Andrek knight of the High Code.
Last Capt of the Defenders of The Rose.
Jerlaine Trefenwyn
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2001
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Dogs of War
Favorite Fighting Styles: anything

Postby Roland Demox » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 pm

I used a strap for pretty much my whole first year of fighting. Now im starting to move in the direction of the punch. I liked the strap alot but the punch makes it easier for me to "flow"
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Sir Azrael » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:59 pm

PUNCH! All the way dude. Much easier. I used strap for like the first month or so, but the punch is just so much better.
Azrael - "forever writing in a large book and forever erasing what he writes: what he writes is the birth of man, what he erases is the name of the man at death."

Sir Azrael the Reaper
Sir Azrael
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 06 Sep 2008
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Jerlaine Trefenwyn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 pm

You have a good point alot of guys can move easier with it... I did ballroom for 6 years so the way I fight with the strap Kite shield comes natural I can move better with it than most can even with a punch it's not for everyone... I guess just us guys who've been fighting awhile.. That and when I first learned to fight I fought with one of the biggest bulkiest heavies shields you could find.
Jerlaine Trefenwyn
Toadie
Toadie

Postby No'Vak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:53 am

I'm a firm believer in the "use a round strap for the first year or so" belief. It MAKES you develop decent shield work and teaches you to move your legs instead of moving your shield.

~Noik
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Sir Azrael » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm

First off, I'm a natural fighter, not trying to be * or anything. And second, my punch is the max. height, and has a core, so I am carying around a strap, but I have to use more arm strength.
Azrael - "forever writing in a large book and forever erasing what he writes: what he writes is the birth of man, what he erases is the name of the man at death."

Sir Azrael the Reaper
Sir Azrael
Scout
Scout

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Azrael wrote:First off, I'm a natural fighter, not trying to be * or anything.

Any time you type something and then have to add that bolded bit onto the end, just don't post the original something.

Max height shields ftl.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby No'Vak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Arrakis wrote:
Azrael wrote:First off, I'm a natural fighter, not trying to be * or anything.

Any time you type something and then have to add that bolded bit onto the end, just don't post the original something.

Max height shields ftl.

QFT. Thats idiotic imho but to each his own I guess.

~Noik
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jerlaine Trefenwyn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Azrael wrote:First off, I'm a natural fighter, not trying to be * or anything. And second, my punch is the max. height, and has a core, so I am carying around a strap, but I have to use more arm strength.

Not tryin to bash ya or anything so don't take offense. Anyways good on ya bro sounds like you founds something that works and you like which when I last checked is what the game is about. And somehow I think were all natural fighters which is why were out here fighting. what type of shield is it and how thick is the core though I'm kinda curious now...
Jerlaine Trefenwyn
Toadie
Toadie

Postby No'Vak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Oh I didn't see you said "I am using a strap" just because it has a core in it.

The similarities end with the core.

Max size punch shields are for pussys imho but oh well.

Have fun developing awesome fighting abilities with that.

~Noik
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Azrael » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Noik: Ummm, alright? I don't really care what you have to say about how my fighting will develop.

Jerlaine: Here are some pics.

The core is 1/4 inch thick, PVC handle. It has 1 layer of foam on the back, and 6 on the front.
And it weighs about 10 pounds.

And to Wes: If you havn't already started to make the sheild you were planning to, my brother made an amazing good one, and it works excellently, (haha, if thats a word). Here are just a few pics, if you want constructing pics of it, let me know, he took a bunch while he was making it.

P.S. The handle on my brothers sheild doesn't at all touch your arm.

Sir Azrael the Reaper
Sir Azrael
Scout
Scout

Postby Jerlaine Trefenwyn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Those actually look really good. Let me know how it turns out. Just ignore the guys who trash talk. Most of the time there just making up for lousy combat skills. I'm just not the biggest fan of shields without cores something about seeing a kid get hit by a red than crying. Of course Versago has been known to damage when he hits red so maybe that doesn't count..
Jerlaine Trefenwyn
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Satanaka » Sat May 02, 2009 8:47 am

If you can- I'd advise- start with a strap- then after you feel like you have good skill then- go to a Punch. They are both great- but there are advantages and dis-advantages to both. Train so that you learn both.

But- i'd repeat that it's better to start with a strap- like a heavy round- and maybe after 4 months or working with a rond- go to a inverted tear drop- use for about 3 months. THEN move to punch shields...

It works.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training