A quick little plan

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A quick little plan

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat May 02, 2009 6:59 pm

It is fighter practice and we have divided the fighters into two nearly equal teams. I look at the opposing side and see four to six mostly new fighters with one or two good ones. I look at our side and see the same.

I say something to the people on either side of me and one side dies quickly.

I don't know if this is true at tournaments, but at practices I notice that teamwork is very rarely used. A few individuals step forward boldly, but overall, opposing forces slowly approach each other. With a few words to the people beside me before we start, that changes.

Here's an example.
I turn to the newbie at the end of the row nearest me and say, "Can you kill (the newbie at the end of the other row)?" If I get anything other than a no, say "do it."
Then I step toward the other line boldly and use my glaive or halberd to try to drive the 2nd person in the opposite row back into his own line leaving the target at the end alone. My newbie has the luxury of fighting his opponent one-on-one while a few jabs from me forces the opposing newbie to split their attention. With at least two people in my line stepping forward boldly, the other person beside me also steps forward boldly, discouraging the charge that a glaive alone would normally generate.

It might not sound like much of a plan, but I have suddenly found my side outnumbering the opposition and the opposing vet surrounded by my people.

Other than "put the vets on the far right and chew up the opposing line as quickly as possible" (the famed toilet bowl of death when both sides follow the same tactic), does anybody else have any quick battlefield tactics that they use when those beside them haven't trained together?
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Re: A quick little plan

Postby tvetree » Sat May 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Nope, not me.

I think talking to your team,is a start in the right direction.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Sat May 02, 2009 9:41 pm

When it teams have a small number of vets with a larger number of newbs, I usually ask the vets to take a handful of each and instruct them what to do and how to fight in a line.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Poo » Sun May 03, 2009 1:04 am

On our field, which, being a new realm, is pretty much a bunch of newbies, the winning team is almost always the one that out flanks the other. Our better fighters position themselves on the outside, and push hard on the newbies, who inevitably move to the safety of their friends and are surrounded. With the large amount of fear that new fighters carry, I've noticed that any small move to threaten their safety causes them to react in extreme ways.

But more on the topic, your plan is one i use quite often. I always try to overwhelm with numbers. Say its 10 on 10, each team with 5 shield men, 3 florentiners, and 2 reds. My general battle plan would be to have the 3 or even 4 of the boarders along with the a couple florentiners distract as much of the opposing force as possible, while still leaving one or 2 stragglers. The reds, and maybe one boarder, and a florentine, crush the stragglers one at a time as fast and hard as possible. Even if we can kill one person, we then have the advantage. Me being one of the better fighters on our field (because we're new and i'm one of the few red users and the only spear user), i generally pick 2 or 3 people to follow me, and tell everyone else to attack en masse. Myself and my little strike team pick a person, and attack hard until they're dead, then move on. It works quite well the vast majority of the time.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun May 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:Here's an example.
I turn to the newbie at the end of the row nearest me and say, "Can you kill (the newbie at the end of the other row)?" If I get anything other than a no, say "do it."
Then I step toward the other line boldly and use my glaive or halberd to try to drive the 2nd person in the opposite row back into his own line leaving the target at the end alone. My newbie has the luxury of fighting his opponent one-on-one while a few jabs from me forces the opposing newbie to split their attention. With at least two people in my line stepping forward boldly, the other person beside me also steps forward boldly, discouraging the charge that a glaive alone would normally generate.

This was countered by a guy with a long red sword matching my position in the line and pulling the same V that I was doing, killing my newbie while I was otherwise occupied.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Arkin » Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Besides the toilet bowl, you can also keep two stong ends and weaken your middle on purpose then when your middle steps back a bit and the other team will step up into your center. Then you counter back into there center since you have not only the people in front of them but people on there sides. Its suppose to also thin out there middle a little, if you have 5 people covering a 20 foot gap then they step up in a semi circle type line there adding more space and also turning to cover what is in front of them.

Flanking is my strength, I like looking for holes in the line people dont expect. But my favorite flanking move is having two flanking groups, the first flanks hard and far around. Most groups will split to far out then you have the other group cut into there inside were the line splits. Doesnt always work but if your first flank has some scare people in it the other team will over compensate and create that gap. Dont expect to do it twice tho unless there that bad.

Communication and teamwork are the same thing in my book.
-Retainer to Sir Galin-
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training