Basics class:

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Basics class:

Postby Sir Cairbre » Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 am

1.Understanding the basics:
2.The First Lesson (stretching)
3.Understanding Your Equipment
4.Grip
5.Guard
6.Stance
7.Footwork
8.Shots
9.Feints
10.Counters
11.Plans & experience

Drills:
-Guard Drill
-Circle & Directional footwork Drills

I am forming a basic outline from the heaps of notes I have, books, things I have been taught, from preparing classes and experiences teaching I have had. Right now I am still pulling a lot of it together for an outline I can distribute to the students come class time. Right now I think that 'Guard' and 'Footwork' are going to take up a majority of the time. Those two area's have the most basic permutations and take up a majority of what fighting really is.

What I would like is some input from people. I have found that the class runs smoothest if I teach a drill right from the start. It tends to hold the classes attention. But I usually only teach to new fighters. I don't think I will be teaching to a crowd of new students who have never held a sword before. I am not teaching Block-Strike in this class for 2 reasons; it requires a partner and another instructor will be going over it in another class. Guard Drill, teaches a return to guard and can be done by ones self or with a partner, same with the two footwork drills.

When do you think I should teach the drills? Should I break the class for the students to practice them and have discussion afterwords?
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Re: Basics class:

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu May 28, 2009 8:03 am

I have been to many Martial Arts seminars. I have always found that the best ones were hands on. We would be shown a technique by the instructor with a helper, then have a chance to practice it a bit, with the instructor going around to correct mistakes, before moving on to the next part. That was always the best format, at least for me.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Loptr » Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 am

The military does the learn one, do one and teach one style.

They stat out along the lines of you will be given a demonstraion, explaination and a pratical application of XXXX.

I would suggest this method. Dont let any one part run on too long. It seems in my experiences the foam fighting crowd is thick with ADD types. Keeping it fast paced and changing will help keep attention.

I would really like to see your materials when your ready to roll. As I have been trying to work on a somewhat related topic.
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby Sir Cairbre » Thu May 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Loptr wrote:I would really like to see your materials when your ready to roll.

No problem. As I transcribe hand written notes onto my netbook I have been sharing them with Sir Winfang. Can you read .ODT files form Open office? And what is your E-mail?
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Loptr » Thu May 28, 2009 12:51 pm

SirMADOG wrote:
Loptr wrote:I would really like to see your materials when your ready to roll.

No problem. As I transcribe hand written notes onto my netbook I have been sharing them with Sir Winfang. Can you read .ODT files form Open office? And what is your E-mail?

PM sent.

I have been making a collection of various resources out there in the "dream" of a one stop shopping DVD fighter reference. That could be distributed to the faithful.

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby Sir Cairbre » Thu May 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Loptr wrote:
SirMADOG wrote:
Loptr wrote:
I have been making a collection of various resources out there in the "dream" of a one stop shopping DVD fighter reference. That could be distributed to the faithful.

L

Awe !*#! I could have given you a copy of my one stop shop while you were at SKBC. I am currently at 650MB but I have a list of about 60 I want to add still to my CD. I am getting close to DVD size.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training