shield size

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

shield size

Postby Frosty » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 am

Currently Iam useing a 24x34 in punch but the fact is it's makeing me lazy and i need to improve my game. I want to move to a strap round but the standard 24 in doesn't quite do me justice.

I guess what im saying is what is the appropriate size sheild thats going to challenge me but be combat effective. Im guesseing 27-28

any and all critisim is welcome.

and yes I know I cannot spell worth ****
Sir Frosty the Fierce

My eyes are more important than your medieval experience.
Frosty
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Feb 2008
Realm: Rhune
Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive

Re: shield size

Postby Olos » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:18 am

28" is the standard round size. 24" round plywood with 2 inches of padding on the edge = 28" diameter.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Dane » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 am

Frosty, you could probably get away with a 29 or 30" round. As Olos said, 28" is the standard, but if you add an inch or two, it'll make a huge difference in coverage. If you're at 'Geddon, we'll take a look and see what you need.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Slagar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:17 am

Galin's round shield ought to be at Geddon, and it's 30 inches. Ask him to see it, it's really amazing. I used it a bunch last Saturday, and the difference is noticeable.

Also, congrats on putting down the punch door! Glad to see it, my friend.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby bo1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am

frosty this was written 3 posts down from your thread.

shields should be like skirts, small enough to make it interesting, but big enough to cover the subject.

but i agree with what is said here, most normal people, 100 lbs to 200 lbs a 28" round is a great answer. if you are pretty close to that 100lbs mark, a 24 would be more of a challenge.
if you are over the 200 mark, and extra inch for each 25 lbs is a good model. there is a formula in ther i bet, arrakis, oh wait he is busy in the dungeon m aking my other formula i want, i will field this one then.

((your wieght in lbs + 200lbs) / 50lbs)" + 20"= number of inches in diameter the finished shield should be. note, this is not the core size but the finished size. that is a pretty crappy formula, i am sure there is a more elegant one, that would give a pettier result, but this works well enough.

so if big jimmy wieght 300, it is
((300LBS+200LBS)/ 50LBS)" + 20"= 500/50"+ 20"= 30", which is really close to what he would want if he wanted to challenge himself a bit.

i am 250 so for me it is , ((250lbs+200lbs)/50lbs)"+ 20"= 29 ", which is what i normally use.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Frosty » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 pm

ok will do dane

thanks bo.... I somehow over looked that other post.
Sir Frosty the Fierce

My eyes are more important than your medieval experience.
Frosty
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Feb 2008
Realm: Rhune
Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive

Postby Satanaka » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:41 am

Actually- the Round Shield you have will make your fighting better in the long run. I do like what Bo said- BUT- if it is smaller (meaning- not able to cover your whole body) then you will have to LEARN the skill of the shield to become proficient. So- short run- hard work- later on- your reflexses should increase as well as your shield work and arm strength.

So- in short- use the one you have and give it 6 months of good, dedicated uses. I think it will pay off for you.

Frosty wrote:Currently Iam useing a 24x34 in punch but the fact is it's makeing me lazy and i need to improve my game. I want to move to a strap round but the standard 24 in doesn't quite do me justice.

I guess what im saying is what is the appropriate size sheild thats going to challenge me but be combat effective. Im guesseing 27-28

any and all critisim is welcome.

and yes I know I cannot spell worth ****
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training