Hit 'em again

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Hit 'em again

Postby Isk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:42 am

I have started to get in the habit of hitting people at least once after I am pretty sure they are dead just to avoid the 'you got my arm' surprise attack to my back. I am considering teaching all of my noobs to do the same thing. Hit your opponent until they call death or at least one more time after an apparently clean kill shot. The obvious downside is having people think I am deliberately mauling them and teaching them to overkill each other, but it will also hopefully encourage better communication and more realistic deaths. Any thoughts?
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Re: Hit 'em again

Postby varadin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:11 am

I hit people till they put their weapon on their head or call dead. If they don't do either and complain im excessive its their fault for not looking dead. I also hit people who are kneeling with a shield propped up when i walk by just to make sure. Dead should look dead IMO on the ground or off to the side with a weapon on head.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby semtater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:27 am

Haha Isk. Talk about overkill. I was the one that got mauled by Ben and Steven last week. And while I was lying on the ground you come up and stab me in the neck... Not hard enough to hurt. But still overkill. Lol.

But I do like your mauling style. What people mean when they say you maul them. Is when you climb on top of them with your shield, hitting harder than anyone in the park, (except maybe Lofton. Lol. But don't tell him I said that).

Not to criticize. I actually like the style. But I think it scares off the noobs.
Our Holy Master will lead us onward! I fight my hardest with my sickle in hand.
Lupin wrote:FB was right.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Jan 2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sickle and Sword!

Postby Satanaka » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 am

All sounds good as long as you take it the same way you dish it out.

I have seen a few people that will hit some one in the back like 3-4 times before the person can even respond (no armor) and that is a little much. They also tend to really * if someone does the same to them.

I think you might run newer people off- but if your happy with the numbers in your realm- who needs new people... :devil:
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby semtater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:35 am

I think it's really funny, because those of us that are in the eight month range of fighting, tell all the noobs to stay away from certain people. Like Isk, there are people you WILL die against, with many bruises upon your body.

That's why I'm trying to collect as much armor and padding as I can. It really helps, so I'm not just trying for minimum garb anymore.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Postby Spike » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am

semtater wrote:That's why I'm trying to collect as much armor and padding as I can. It really helps, so I'm not just trying for minimum garb anymore.

Your efforts are much better focused on blocking or evading those shots and dispatching those fighters before they dispatch you.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Tonaho » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:56 am

Meh, I've been fighting since May I think, and I've gotten into the habit of telling the newbs that fighting people like Lofton, Mason, Jinx, and Isk is the best way to learn. I got severely beaten at War Of Forbidding, but I'm better for it. Hell, that's why I usually stay around for bear pit, I'm very likely to get one on one time with at least two people better than myself.
Observation: The dag mods seem to be afraid that we're going to raid their realms, burn their homes and steal their women. That's ridiculous, I would never burn their homes.
SirMADOG wrote:Riot cops are a special breed. They like to show up to work early to beat the crowds.
Tonaho
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 May 2009
Unit: Krayts
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear/Blue-Green Dagger

Postby semtater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Haha, I would like to focus on my technique more too. But with armor, I can collect less bruises along the way. The first thing I got was the red leather gloves and it really saved my hands. And I can really kick butt with a punch shield because my knuckles aren't being scraped raw anymore.

I would like to fight Isk, but the one time that Derek jumps on his back, Isk grabs his head and pulls him forward onto the ground. That encounter bruised Derek's collar bone, and put his arm out of action for the next three months. Lol
semtater
Underling
Underling

Postby Isk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:18 pm

semtater wrote:Haha Isk. Talk about overkill. I was the one that got mauled by Ben and Steven last week. And while I was lying on the ground you come up and stab me in the neck... Not hard enough to hurt. But still overkill. Lol.
This was a joke, I knew you were dead. Where's the fun in war if we can't maul the bodies afterward? Golf anyone?
semtater wrote:Haha, I would like to focus on my technique more too. But with armor, I can collect less bruises along the way. The first thing I got was the red leather gloves and it really saved my hands. And I can really kick butt with a punch shield because my knuckles aren't being scraped raw anymore.
Gloves rock. I have a spare pair of MMA gloves I am selling for $15 you'd probably like even better.
semtater wrote:I would like to fight Isk, but the one time that Derek jumps on his back, Isk grabs his head and pulls him forward onto the ground. That encounter bruised Derek's collar bone, and put his arm out of action for the next three months. Lol
I don't even remember this (not saying it didn't happen, just don't remember). We can spar without grappling :D However, people should not be getting bruised regularly by the weapons. If weapons are bruising people those weapons need to be checked. Talk to me on Wednesday about which weapons these are.
Tonaho wrote:Meh, I've been fighting since May I think, and I've gotten into the habit of telling the newbs that fighting people like Lofton, Mason, Jinx, and Isk is the best way to learn. I got severely beaten at War Of Forbidding, but I'm better for it. Hell, that's why I usually stay around for bear pit, I'm very likely to get one on one time with at least two people better than myself.
QFT

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Postby semtater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Haha, I don't need the gloves. I bought a pair of grilling mits at Walmart for twelve bucks for the pair, and they look really medieval. I want to get them wet some more so they'll harden up a little more nicely. And the weapons aren't hurting people, just how hard the more experienced guys hit. The noobs tend to hit really lightly and I often take it as long as I felt it. So I guess I'm just not used to the all out fighting that you guys do.

I'll adjust quickly now that my gloves are helping out.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Postby Arrakis » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Everyone who cares about their health should be wearing kneepads (I like volleyball kneepads) and a pair of gloves.

Isk, there's no such thing as overkill; just enough kill and not enough kill. I hit people until they look dead to me and that does make it a bit dependent on who I'm fighting. But at events, everyone gets a bonus shot, just to be sure.

semtarder: if you jump on a muh ****, expect to get jacked up. If you spar someone with weapons, expect to be given the opportunity to learn something, if you pay attention. You shouldn't need padding or armor. If you do, congratulate Isk for being a gorilla and eat your * Wheaties.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby semtater » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Arrakis wrote:semtarder: if you jump on a muh ****, expect to get jacked up. If you spar someone with weapons, expect to be given the opportunity to learn something, if you pay attention. You shouldn't need padding or armor. If you do, congratulate Isk for being a gorilla and eat your * Wheaties.

I'm sorry if I insulted your mother or anything by stating my opinion in trying to discuss this with Isk, but you've already stated that I'm new to this. Though not quite as new as 75% of my realm. So I'm still getting used to this and I'm adjusting.

This is quite fun and I can't wait to get mauled by Isk again tomorrow night to see if I learn anything. And I enjoy Arrakis's lectures. I'll remember not to get on you're REALLY bad side. Lol.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Postby Arrakis » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:51 pm

semtater wrote:This is quite fun and I can't wait to get mauled by Isk again tomorrow night to see if I learn anything. And I enjoy Arrakis's lectures. I'll remember not to get on you're REALLY bad side. Lol.

See, then you say stuff like that. I'll teach you a few tricks if I ever catch you at an event, if you want.

Man, today's been rough...
Arrakis

Postby Eisenwolf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Arrakis wrote:there's no such thing as overkill .

i agree. we could be freinds. }:-)
Live, Laugh, Hunt, Howl.
Mach's gut. Ich mach's besser!
Ich bin ein heidenheimer. Wo kommst DU her?
Flo' Fida :-p

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it."
-Thucydides
Eisenwolf
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other guy. :-)

Postby Poo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:33 pm

so enough of the personal discussions about "the beast" isk throwing people off his back, which is illegal btw. Swing until they call or look dead; if they *, tell them to go cry.

We had a few problems with the dead not looking dead at KGC this past weekend. I had gotten legged, and was knee walking towards an ebf who wasn't watching. I stabbed him in the back, and he immediately starts complaining that he thought someone had killed me. I, of course, never called dead or anything, but there was a dead guy walking around the field that confused him.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Hakan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Here's a problem I've run into before though: As I'm putting my weapon on my head AFTER yelling out that I was dead the stupid **** is STILL bashing me in the face with his red. When I say something to him (after the fight. The field is no place for a hissy fit) he just shrugs and says "then get the hell out of my way next time noob"

So, hitting someone until you're absolutely sure they're dead is one thing, but, just continuing to swing away and say "Don't *, not my fault" is another.
Numenorean & Stygian Expatriate
Rules Clarification and Rewrite Committee Contributor
Former President of BMCS {2020 - 2022}
Artificers Guild Mentor {Focus: Foamsmithing}
Order of the Raised Goblet
President of Rath
Hakan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Snark
Pronouns: He/They

Postby Arrakis » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Hakon, when you die, keep your guard UP until after they stop hitting you. Just yell "DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD" until they stop. I learned that one after dropping my shield as I was dieing in a charge against Sleeper in Dur D and the rest of his line decided I needed a little more killin' right about the time my face became uncovered and fell to the location my chest had been in the moment before....
Arrakis

Postby semtater » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Haha. It's true. Keep yelling dead and when your opponent realizes that you are dead they'll respectfully back off. Unless they have something against you. Lol.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Postby Isk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:53 pm

At the risk of getting flamed, I will say that another option is a 'realistic death'. Falling away from the blow as if you had just died from it and laying still (while calling dead) is usually an effective way of not getting hit any more and still seems like a worthwhile part of the game. If people die realistically at least you don't have to wonder if they're still alive or not.

And Poo, 'the beast' thanks you for refocusing this thread. The problem you saw at KGC is what I'm concerned about. My thought was that if people know they will continue to be hit until they look dead or announce they are dead, the dead will look dead.

Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:08 pm

I don't really see what this has to do with fighting. If hitting a dead person helps you stay alive longer, and doesn't put them in danger, why not do it? There's no rule against it.[/thread]

I had some 'tard at Chaos dislocate my jaw by continuing to swing as I was dying. I told him that he was acting recklessly, and I walked it off. At the end of the day, you're the only person who can take accountability for your own safety. Don't be a *.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Isk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:42 am

It's a fighting and training forum. The question was: Is there a reason not to teach noobs to hit each other at least one more time after they're pretty sure the other person is dead. The answer was: of course not, it's not illegal to hit people, just make sure they stop hitting after the person calls dead. So, yeah, end of thread.

Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:13 pm

One little addendum.

Position matters to me. If you get killed in a one on one off to the side, go ahead and call it and put your sword on your head. If your buddy beside you is still alive, drop or otherwise get out of the way immediately. I probibly am about to swing through where you were. I try not to be mean about it, but I've lightly shield-bashed more than one "standing corpse" out of my way.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Brennon EH » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:14 pm

I hit people until they indicate they are dead. It's my job to hit them, and their job to look dead.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Aiden » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 pm

qft brennon.
Albion

Fightin' in the Carolinas!
Aiden
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004