Min Red: Schools of thought

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Min Red: Schools of thought

Postby Poo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 am

There was a recently resurrected thread about red fighting that i'd like to see start up again, but specifically focusing on the min red, 48-52" abouts. I've found my second love after spear fighting in this sweet little package, and i've started seeing tons of them on the field at events. I'd like to hear some tips, schools of thought, fun shots, and discussion about min red fighting.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Re: Min Red: Schools of thought

Postby varadin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:28 am

I fight red-sword very rarely anymore. But my favorite shot is something I call the side spliter. I do it with a glaive as well but its faster with min red as its lighter/shorter.

Works best right hand up vrs a righty sworded shield guy. Swing for the shield, if you get it awesome bonus. If he pulls the shield in carry the shot passed it. Step in either bouncing the sword off the ground or just stopping and pulling back up. Imaging shoveling snow. Right under their weapon into the lower gut. Hits like a ton of bricks and normally they will be crossing for your right arm so they are open. You should land it before he hits you.

Other then that I just enjoy getting in on people. Most of the guys who fight red round here/dag events are little spinny ballerinas most of the time. Sure they move in ways I can't but when a shield man rushes me and i block his shot and throw him to the ground with a shoulder check I teach them a different form of red sword fighting.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:06 am

I love fighting with my 4' red sword more than anything. Except maybe spear.
Mine is hardly "minimum" anything, though. It is built on a 1/2" square core, it's 4" wide and weighs 36 oz.
It rocks like nothing else. It delivers sheild breaking hits easy but is balanced enough to use one handed(mostly). It also has a stab tip. I broke a hollow fiberglass blue sword with it at Yestare. That was hilarious. Kid swung at my guts and a chopped his sword in two with a block. It does not flex.
I have an 18" handle on it, which I recomend.
Mostly, in fighting with it, I keep it vertical and very close to my body. I try to block high shots by keeping the sword vertical and moving it back and forth. I try to avoid low shots with what little footwork I can muster. Keeping the sword close to my body allows for fast bloking and very fast high power strikes.
I guess I should say, I'm left handed. When I fight red I put my left hand on top(most of the time) and my Left foot forward. I wear a buckler on my right arm.
I can usually hit a shield on the right side top corner, snap back up and block, hit the left side top conrer(shield is now broken, barring any nonsense), snap back up to block again and then swing down into a flat snapish type move on the poor **** kidney. This works wonders but is kind of mean. After hitting so many people in a row in the kidney, you start feeling guilty and trying new ****. I always come back to it though. It' a sweet combo.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Arrakis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 pm

I just threaten high shield-side and then bust folks' forearms when they try to throw a shot on their sword-side, mostly.

Fork, my min-red sounds like yours, only it weighs about 4 oz less and has about 6" less handle. Hmm...
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Geshtal » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 am

One of the shots i use with a min red is a spin. I only use it then im being chased down a.k.a I'm back peddling, what i do is while back peddling if the guy is catching up i plant my left leg and push of with my right and drop the sword low in my right hand. The spin usually legs them or it throws them off and stops them from chasing you. This gives me enough time to set up shoulder check them and get a red hit on their shield or run to some friends for some help (if i feel like a little * that day)
You either Die a hero or Live long enough to see yourself become the villian.
Geshtal
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2004
Realm: Korayn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fries and milkshake

Postby calebmonkey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:38 am

i thought a red sword needed a 36 inch blade,
and if your 4 foot red sword(48 inches) has 18 inches of handle
that leves a 30 inch blade
did i miss a rule change?
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:44 am

Correct, you did.

1.4.2. Class 2 - All Class 2 Weapons must conform to the following:
1.4.2.1. The minimum length is forty-eight (48) inches.
1.4.2.2. The minimum weight is twenty-four (24) ounces.
1.4.2.3. The maximum handle length for Class 2 Weapons is eighteen (18) inches or one-third (1/3) of the overall length, whichever is greater. This cannot exceed one-half (1/2) of the overall length.

It no longer matters that at least 36 inches be blade. (For one thing, this allows for red axes and maces).
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Derian » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Actually, Magpie, it used to be that only swords required a 36" blade to be red. All other weapons only need reach 36" overall to be red. This produced many turbo-clubs that were also classified as red. The length change and later weight minimums fixed that.

More on-topic, I like this thread. I'm putting the finishing touches on a 54" red. It's a bit longer than min-red, but I found my 48" just too short. I think 52-56" is probably about perfect for a quick red for most people.

I also agree with Fork - 18" handle is pretty much necessary. You can always choke down.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Ahki » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:26 pm

I enjoy a long handle on my minimum reds. I make them so the handle is 18 inches then at a bit of half padding, that is the same thickness of of the handle, to give me even more room for my hands. My mentality with the min red sword is to chop limbs and go through armor at long range. The sword I use is so light it can't deliver shield breaking shots unless I'm going home run bat style. I like to let it slip to one hand for extra reach and usually fight on the run with it. Also I usually have a back shield on. Example, Darvax and I took the Grinnell field day pairs tournament both fighting like this. Those are half inch fiberglass with Edhellen fries and extra two pieces of 1/2" fiberglass place in the handles to make them larger and act as a counter balance. You can see that mine (the grey one) has the extra half padding other wise they are identical.
Ahki
Team 4
Leader of Unit Ahki?
Hey did you hear what Dagmar said about you!
Zane is My evil twin
Ahki
Bandit
Bandit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Mind Games

Postby Arrakis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:15 am

Is that a min red? Looks like, what, 5'? Doesn't it hit like a brick with just an Edhellen fry on it?
Arrakis

Postby Poo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:18 am

I think there's a lot of stuff in the picture thats making it look longer... if you remember that the handle is 18", its not too much longer.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:07 am

Ahki and Darvax are both really short.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Derian » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:55 am

Big Jimmy wrote:Ahki and Darvax are both really short.

Uh, not really. They're probably both at least 5'10" - 6'.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Arrakis » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:11 am

From here, the gray sword appears to be no more than 6" shorter than its wielder. Also, I say again, one of the skinny Edhellen fries makes horrible redsword padding. Put a layer of blue over it, at least. But then, if that's 1/2" round fiberglass for teh core, if may flex enough not to hit like a ton of bricks.
Arrakis

Postby Ahki » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:57 am

Those are about 4'6", it looks kinda long because I'm kinda crouching in that photo, I'm 5'11". Those were prototypes we made and they were able to work and not hit to hard because at that length the core flexes enough to absorb alot of the impact but not enough to fail for flex. They worked well for about 2 months then the foam broke down to the point where they hit too hard, at that point I cut a 1'6" off of mine and converted it to a blue sword which worked great. Gen 2 of those is gonna have a layer of REI camp pad on the outer layer so that they last longer and hit a bit nicer.
Ahki
Team 4
Leader of Unit Ahki?
Hey did you hear what Dagmar said about you!
Zane is My evil twin
Ahki
Bandit
Bandit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Mind Games

Postby Druss RVNS » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:14 am

Min. red is probably one of the most exciting styles for me (and one I'd really like to improve), so, I've got some questions pertaining to anyone that uses one with a considerable amount of skill. How does your game change when fighting on a team with a short red as compared to when you fight alone with it? Describe an imaginary fight of each type, if you would. Something simple to begin with, small teams or your min red versus one well balanced sword and boarder.
What's more important with a red; intimidation or precise shots? Do you fight in a completely offensive manner (i.e. always moving forward) or a more defensive manner (backpedal and pop shots)? How do you fight another red sword? How do you fight poles?

I understand most of this will be individual opinion, but, you guys usually crank out things that keep my wheels turning. Thanks for any thoughts.
We are Ravenous
Druss RVNS
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Southern Marches
Unit: RVNS
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Sword, Red Sword, Flo

Postby Poo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:27 am

Team
When i'm fighting min red with a team, i think of myself as a flanker. You keep the few that like to run the edges in line, because you just don't have the range to be effective in a line. I stay to the edges, look for holes to run through, leg and leave shieldmen, kill when i can. I think of min red fighting in a group and being a tactical strike force **** with the enemy, whereas with my spear i'm The Inglorious Basterds; killing everything i can find. I try to work in large battle situations with a lot of directed aggression, but only in short bursts.
Alone
Alone in sparring or dueling or tourneys, i try to work with less aggression and more technique. I snipe arms and legs with quick blue strikes, and if need be, i'll haul off and red them to death.
Offensive/Defensive
I don't like running away, so i'm definitely an offensive fighter when it comes to reds. But that offense doesn't always mean constant swinging. Bursts of aggression is what i like.
Vs. Red
min red vs min red is my favorite. I definitely use the full gamut of shots in my *, lots of blue arm sniping, lots of quick snap cuts. A lot of the talhoffer stuff works pretty well. With a stabby, everything becomes better. Vs longer reds i just try to arm them, because they generally become useless without a sidearm.
Vs. Pole
Vs poles i act like a shieldman, run up on them. But, since i have a smaller weapon that can be used one handed, i generally try to grab the pole. If they're like Killian type good, I try to arm them.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby GvK » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:36 am

I would never make a sword without a thrusting tip, especially red weapons. The 2-handed thrust can jack up a person, and allows for the *threat* of a thrust, which makes transitions from guards/strikes that much easier and effective.
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 4-1984
Realm: Dagorhir Aratari
Unit: Vardrotta
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed sword (longsword)
Glaive
Archery

Postby Azgarehta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:19 am

A stabbing tip on a red makes it essentially a mini-glave. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to put in the minimal time and effort to add one for the world of tactical options it affords you.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Geshtal » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am

In regards to blocking I hardly ever use the blade of the weapon I focus on blocking most shots with the handle between my two hands. The only time I use the blade is if the person I"m fighting is going for a low leg shot. I find that blocking with the handle opens up more pop shots allowing me to snipe arms more often then naught. I realize I wouldn't have any hands left if i were to do this in real life but it is a game and I Love "hand on weapon"
Geshtal
Monkey
Monkey

Postby GvK » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:23 am

Geshtal wrote:In regards to blocking I hardly ever use the blade of the weapon I focus on blocking most shots with the handle between my two hands. The only time I use the blade is if the person I"m fighting is going for a low leg shot. I find that blocking with the handle opens up more pop shots allowing me to snipe arms more often then naught. I realize I wouldn't have any hands left if i were to do this in real life but it is a game and I Love "hand on weapon"

I hope you've invested in QUALITY hand protection...
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 4-1984
Realm: Dagorhir Aratari
Unit: Vardrotta
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed sword (longsword)
Glaive
Archery

Postby Arrakis » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:30 am

Geshtal, try counterstriking more.
Arrakis

Postby Poo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:23 am

GvK wrote:
Geshtal wrote:In regards to blocking I hardly ever use the blade of the weapon I focus on blocking most shots with the handle between my two hands. The only time I use the blade is if the person I"m fighting is going for a low leg shot. I find that blocking with the handle opens up more pop shots allowing me to snipe arms more often then naught. I realize I wouldn't have any hands left if i were to do this in real life but it is a game and I Love "hand on weapon"

I hope you've invested in QUALITY hand protection...

I punch block everything with my min reds. I have an mma glove on my right hand that takes all of the hits if i can help it.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Geshtal » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 am

I wouldn't fight red if i didn't have my MMA gloves
Punch blocking ftw

And as for counterstriking I try as often as I can it is just block and chop in the same motion usually catch's my opponent unawares. But where I'm in Ebonhold and the only none newbish regular people are Ruben, Leaf, Darwraith (I hope I spelt that right), and dare I say (god forgive me) Kage.

So yeah as far as the realm I'm in it has worked for me very well.
Geshtal
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Nikola the Bear-hat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Poo wrote:I punch block everything with my min reds. I have an mma glove on my right hand that takes all of the hits if i can help it.

It didn't really do to well against my red. Your hand looked like it might have been broken.

When I fight min red, especially against Poo, I focus on the torso section of his body (including his arms, as Poo holds his red right in front of his body). I try arm snipes, and when he blocks those, usually I transition into a stab right off of his hands into his chest. Otherwise, all the stuff in that Talhoffer video is really good, too. It's difficult though, and I'm still not very good at most of them.
Fighter of Forodwaith
Running on a 3:1 mixture of hatred and spite since 1992.
Does a rocking horse have a hickory *?
Here at PLANTERS, we're passionate about fresh tasting nuts. In fact, our nuts taste Famously Fresh... nut after nut after nut.
Nikola the Bear-hat
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swordnboard, Red

Postby Poo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:20 pm

I didn't wear gloves that one time... and what's your min red made out of? it hits like a **** truck.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher