Pre-emptive warnings for long blue

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Pre-emptive warnings for long blue

Postby Aelin Greenbough » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Alright, just starting out in the far North (Ottawa, Canada), with no other realms within spitting distance. Right now our pool of fighters is very small - around eight people. What I'm looking for is some insightful commentary as to my build and weapon choices, and what theoretical (yes, this is getting really vague) problems I'm going to run into down the road with the combination of the two.

I'm about 6"1, slim shouldered, a wiry 150lbs. Been working as a bike courier for nine years now, so stamina and leg strength/mobility are my high points. Arms are long and gangly- not t-rex arms, but I'm not bowling anyone over with shield bashes either. I used to fence YEARS ago, so footwork is starting out decent.

My comfort zone (which I routinely try and switch out of) is with shield-leg foward, sword held up parallel to the ground, about level to my ear with arm chambered behind my body. I really don't know how I got there, but that's me "home" position. I power most shots by dropping the elbow down and forward, letting the wrist decide direction. Fun for attacking their sword-side, but given how everyone here is very dancey, it's a poor place for punishing shots at my shieldside leg. BTW, those rarely land anyway - footwork is good. Otherwise it's sword foward at a 45 angle from my body - but I find getting a SOLID shot from that posistion takes more work... Been experimenting with the ridiculous "sword-down-the-back-and-elbow-in-you-ear" swings - which seem to allow amazing speed & power, deliverable just about anywhere - but that's only good for one or two shots - once they close with you (especially given my primary antangonist fights florentine), it's just silly.

Now that's a ramble. Anyway, that's my meat & taters, and I've perhaps mistakenly chosen a 28" round strap (which I wouldn't trade for the world) and a sword with a 32" blade.

Any equally broad advice for starting out with this? And yes, I've built myself a wrist roller.
Aelin Greenbough
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Aug 2009
Realm: Nan Nehelduin
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & board, Always learning

Re: Pre-emptive warnings for long blue

Postby Satanaka » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:28 pm

If you were under my trainning- I would have you use the shortest blue I could find- for about 3 months- to teach you better technique, sword work and guaging your shots. you already have some good reach- BUT a shorter sword forces you to use better thechnique and work more with the sword.

After at least 3 months- I'd give you a normal sword and watch you go like wild fire...

:devil:

NaCl wrote:Alright, just starting out in the far North (Ottawa, Canada), with no other realms within spitting distance. Right now our pool of fighters is very small - around eight people. What I'm looking for is some insightful commentary as to my build and weapon choices, and what theoretical (yes, this is getting really vague) problems I'm going to run into down the road with the combination of the two.

I'm about 6"1, slim shouldered, a wiry 150lbs. Been working as a bike courier for nine years now, so stamina and leg strength/mobility are my high points. Arms are long and gangly- not t-rex arms, but I'm not bowling anyone over with shield bashes either. I used to fence YEARS ago, so footwork is starting out decent.

My comfort zone (which I routinely try and switch out of) is with shield-leg foward, sword held up parallel to the ground, about level to my ear with arm chambered behind my body. I really don't know how I got there, but that's me "home" position. I power most shots by dropping the elbow down and forward, letting the wrist decide direction. Fun for attacking their sword-side, but given how everyone here is very dancey, it's a poor place for punishing shots at my shieldside leg. BTW, those rarely land anyway - footwork is good. Otherwise it's sword foward at a 45 angle from my body - but I find getting a SOLID shot from that posistion takes more work... Been experimenting with the ridiculous "sword-down-the-back-and-elbow-in-you-ear" swings - which seem to allow amazing speed & power, deliverable just about anywhere - but that's only good for one or two shots - once they close with you (especially given my primary antangonist fights florentine), it's just silly.

Now that's a ramble. Anyway, that's my meat & taters, and I've perhaps mistakenly chosen a 28" round strap (which I wouldn't trade for the world) and a sword with a 32" blade.

Any equally broad advice for starting out with this? And yes, I've built myself a wrist roller.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby bo1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:59 pm

that advice isnt bad advice at all.

i would say to start with soem good ol youtube. watch some videos of fighters like peter and bahkdar. they all have loads of vids out there. also the amt gaurders like spyn, dread, brennen, and others. watch what they do and see what you can recreate. use that, all the advice in the world does no good unles you can reproduce what the other person is doing.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Aelin Greenbough » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 pm

Hrmmm. I've already studied a few of Peter the Quick's works... I'm slowly chugging through everything that's been stickied here. The shorter blade idea does seem the way to go - I went for the reach right off because it was a natural extension; but you're right. I've a particular distaste for the excessive amount of backpedaling everyone (I) seems to tend to when they're new; sticking with the range game isn't going to change that. I should learn to mix it up at close range & grind it out before I spoil myself with reach.

Experience should be a good teacher; that's the only teacher I've got up here, anyways.
Aelin Greenbough
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Aug 2009
Realm: Nan Nehelduin
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & board, Always learning

Postby Brennon EH » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:44 pm

If you're 6'1" and 150lbs, you may find that a 28" shield is too wide for you as you are probably pretty narrow in the shoulders. You might want to consider trimming it down about an inch if you find the shield gets in your way while throwing shots.

If you're already somewhat comfortable with footwork, I would concentrate on expanding that and developing reading and timing to go with it. Single blue block-strike practice is exceptionally good for refining timing and teaching reading skills.

I would also get your guard down. Having a static guard near your head is going to make you very, very predictable while leaving you open to a plethora of shots. That's a habit you should certainly break yourself of sooner rather than later.

There is an Amtgard group in Ottowa. You may want to hit them up and see if you can arrange a mid-week fighter practice or alternate park days with some of their stickjocks. More for everybody to fight. http://www.felfrost.com/ .
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 am

My guard has the habit of drifting up, sometimes almost to where it's level with my head like you describe. I found that after video taping myself fighting with a few good sparring partners, a high guard was getting me killed way more than it was actually helping me and actually slowed down the time it took for a shot to be delivered. I just have to consciously train myself to keep my guard tight and low and rely more on my weapon to block shots on that side. I also find that I'm less likely to throw a cross shot with a lower guard and can still get enough power behind a shot. Oh, and I think in many cases, the 28" standard round is too big.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training