Octoberfest Boot Camp

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Octoberfest Boot Camp

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 am

Aside from the bitter cold, how did this go? Tell me all.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:20 am

As much as I was looking forward to the boot camp on Saturday, it was just too * cold that night and I had to catch a red eye flight at 2:00AM.

I did attend Kyrian's introductory class on aggressive shield work. His experience definitely shone through, and I learned a lot more than I was expecting. As a lefty I knew that most of what would be taught would not be as applicable, but fortunately there was another lefty fighter there to pair up with (his name escapes me, some CotH guy).

Kyrian did a great job of covering all of the basic shield maneuvers - bashes, checks, hooks, tables, punches, etc. and we had ample time to practice them. As someone who went in with very little faith my aggro shield technique, I left the class extremely eager and confident in myself when it comes to checks, punches, and other shield tricks. I felt like I had the right tools to set up a bash or check.

As for downsides, it would have been nice to have more coaching as we were practicing. Kyrian did offer some advice for people that needed it, but I didn't get any feedback unless I asked a question. Also, the gear that Kyrian used --a large heater shield and an extremely long sword-- didn't seem optimal for some of the techniques he was teaching.

Overall, it was a great class. I personally learned more than I anticipated and I feel like a more well rounded fighter because of it.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Physic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:18 am

Sadly, it was canceled due to very cold weather. Several people asked me about it and were very excited about it. In the future I think that this will be very popular and hope that it will encourage skill development.

On a positive note I did get to spend some time fighting and teaching some of the Canadians and Puerto Ricans. I had a blast doing it and I hope they took something away from it.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Kyrian » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Giggles wrote:As much as I was looking forward to the boot camp on Saturday, it was just too * cold that night and I had to catch a red eye flight at 2:00AM.

I did attend Kyrian's introductory class on aggressive shield work. His experience definitely shone through, and I learned a lot more than I was expecting. As a lefty I knew that most of what would be taught would not be as applicable, but fortunately there was another lefty fighter there to pair up with (his name escapes me, some CotH guy).

Kyrian did a great job of covering all of the basic shield maneuvers - bashes, checks, hooks, tables, punches, etc. and we had ample time to practice them. As someone who went in with very little faith my aggro shield technique, I left the class extremely eager and confident in myself when it comes to checks, punches, and other shield tricks. I felt like I had the right tools to set up a bash or check.

As for downsides, it would have been nice to have more coaching as we were practicing. Kyrian did offer some advice for people that needed it, but I didn't get any feedback unless I asked a question. Also, the gear that Kyrian used --a large heater shield and an extremely long sword-- didn't seem optimal for some of the techniques he was teaching.

Overall, it was a great class. I personally learned more than I anticipated and I feel like a more well rounded fighter because of it.

Giggles,

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely use it for planning the next class.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Kyrian » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Kyrian wrote:
Giggles wrote:As much as I was looking forward to the boot camp on Saturday, it was just too * cold that night and I had to catch a red eye flight at 2:00AM.

Giggles,

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely use it for planning the next class. In hindsight, I should have just borrowed someone's round. I have two shields that I use actively, my heater and my turtle round. I figured that the heater would've been a better choice since it had a definable "edge", i.e., thickness, unlike the round. The edge was far more useful for demonstrating some of the punching and tabling techniques and those tend to be less effective with my round because of the way the edges taper.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Winfang » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:05 am

I've been fighting with a round shield lately and all my offensive shield work still works.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Olos » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 am

He's saying because it's a concave round.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Jorel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:03 am

Ah, Giggles, I was said Hydra lefty, and it was very good to have another lefty there to practice on. Now I just need to fix my strap so I can practice these more.

As a bit of advice/suggestion for another class, I would suggest giving a small spiel about aggressive shield work while using a punch shield. We did cover a bit of it as Kracken and I wanted to know. Granted there isn't much that can be done too aggressively with a punch but suggesting ways to counter another shield's movements with a punch would be a very useful tool as it can differ a bit from the mechanics of a strap.
Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Northlands
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild

Postby Slagar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 am

Jorel wrote:Granted there isn't much that can be done too aggressively with a punch

By this you mean, "there isn't much that can be done too agressively with a gigantic cheese-ass punch tower", which is true.

With smaller punch rectangles, or best of all decent-sized punch rounds, there are actually worlds of options available. I've been playing around with them lately, so if you want I can show you some next time we run into each other. There's some pretty cool stuff.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Titan G » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:48 pm

yea you can aggresivly use all punchs a tower less so but even then cut some handle away to add interchanging hand positions and you change the game up immensly. i can rock some pretty good aggressive work with a rectangle punch including hooks and jabs, altho the size ratio needed for this is a bit bigger than with a strap. as slagar said the stuff you can do with a straight punch round can be vicious. i rocked one at octfest and did pretty well and winfang has used one the last few events.

also you can make a pretty groovy agressive tower by removing the core and adding adjustable straps. again you gotta have some power to move it but vokor did that to a tower he had for a while and it was pretty sick.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Arrakis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 pm

I've been smackin' folk around with a round punch lately...
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Previous

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training