Octoberfest Boot Camp

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Octoberfest Boot Camp

Postby Physic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:33 pm

Hey why dont we do a mini SKBC at Octoberfest. We could set aside a small amount of time for the high caliber fighters to pass on training to newer fighters. This could be done in the evening under the lights or before battles.

When I was a newb I was always a bit intimidated to come up to Knights and high caliber fighters and ask for sparring/training. I think this would be a good opportunity encourage some of our newer folks that want to learn how to progress themselves. It would also be good for a solid veteran fighter to get input on what they can work on to become better.

Good Idea?

Lets discuss and see if we can make it happen.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Re: Octoberfest Boot Camp

Postby Slagar » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=135&t=32724

Something along these lines? Or did you have something different in mind?
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Spyn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:11 pm

I will be there on Thursday and wouldnt mind teaching a class or two. Drills / Back to Basics class followed Single Sword usually works best as most people cant grasp good two swording until they can fight single sword well with both hands. Barring that, I am just coming to have fun.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Please teach a spear class. A lot of us hear you're good and would like some pointers.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Physic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Im thinking more along the lines of 1 on 1 teaching. Something that would allow a more personal way of teaching someone. The teacher could spend 5-10 minutes with someone doing sparring or drills and then the teacher would be able to give specific instructions on things they can do to improve.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby varadin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Azgarehta wrote:Please teach a spear class. A lot of us hear you're good and would like some pointers.

i see what you did there
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Gambit Redband » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:11 pm

I vote yes. Clinics with the vets would be extremely valuable and appreciated.
Uruk Hai Ravager
Gambit Redband
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2007
Realm: Gilead
Unit: Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B, Spear, Flo

Postby Rose » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:59 pm

My concern would be time consumption. Spending 5-10 minutes with one person is fine, but there's no telling how many people will want to spend that time with you. I'm trying to get a whole group of new fighters to Fest this year, and this would be a great chance for them to learn, but if they each want to take a class with several knights/solid fighters, then all of the teachers and all of the newbies will be missing some good battles on field. If you did this before fighting or when things are winding down, that could work, but not everyone might get to work with everyone they want. Were you thinking of having this as single blues with this person, flourentine with that person and spears over here? Maybe I'm just overthinking this, but how would you organize these classes if there was a lot of interest?
~Rinwilya Rose
Guard of Clan of the Hydra

"If you want to leave a footprint, you must first take a step" - Beth Samuels, 1976-2007
Rose
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bow and Arrow.

Postby Juicer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:28 am

I'll teach a class! "Surviving Events as a Bum in Modern Belegarth Society 101"

Can I teach two? "Not Being a Complete Tool, With Guest Speaker Dagganoth"
Zwei ap Owen wrote:Juicer sho' nuff loves tuh shuffle.

Juiceros, the Deceptron. Kwisatz Haderach Musketeer from the future
Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 Aug 2004
Realm: Babylon. Blood in blood out.
Unit: HH
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brass knucks

Postby Physic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Rose wrote:My concern would be time consumption. Spending 5-10 minutes with one person is fine, but there's no telling how many people will want to spend that time with you. I'm trying to get a whole group of new fighters to Fest this year, and this would be a great chance for them to learn, but if they each want to take a class with several knights/solid fighters, then all of the teachers and all of the newbies will be missing some good battles on field. If you did this before fighting or when things are winding down, that could work, but not everyone might get to work with everyone they want. Were you thinking of having this as single blues with this person, flourentine with that person and spears over here? Maybe I'm just overthinking this, but how would you organize these classes if there was a lot of interest?

I think simple is better in this scenario. Seperate the teachers from the people that want to learn. People there waiting to learn, wait in line until one of the teachers is available. The people volunteering to teach could teach whatever they want. For example, if Kenny was a teacher, he might chose to have florentine, sword and board and single sword to train others. You could approach him, do a few fights against him so he gets a good gauge of the flaws you may have and then he could inform you on ways to improve.

I think 3-5 minutes would actually be a better time frame to spend with each teacher. This whole thing could be limited to an hour. If there is a decent amount of teachers you should be able to cycle through people pretty quickly. Someone might not get to train with everyone but they would still get some solid teaching from the top fighters.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Pickles » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:00 pm

I like this idea a lot. They did something similar a long long time ago in Numenor and it worked very well. Tell me if I can do anything to help out with this.
Knight of Dunharrow

The tools to kill are always around. All depends on how much you need to work for it and how much you want it. -Scion
Pickles
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Physic » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:59 am

Pickles wrote:I like this idea a lot. They did something similar a long long time ago in Numenor and it worked very well. Tell me if I can do anything to help out with this.

The first step is to find people willing to teach. Any other volunteers?
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Cyric » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 pm

I'd be willing to help.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby bo1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm

thanks cyric but i think we have being a douche coach all set up, thanks for the help though. lol

yep count me in, i can teach people a little about a little.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Dabbanoth » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Juicer wrote:I'll teach a class! "Surviving Events as a Bum in Modern Belegarth Society 101"

Can I teach two? "Not Being a Complete Tool, With Guest Speaker Dagganoth"

Im down.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Kerb » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 pm

I will be at Oct-fest, and I am willing to help teach.

Let me know what you need help in, I can teach most anything.
Kerb
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Oct 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty, Florentine,

Postby Physic » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:50 pm

When would people like to see this happen? I think Friday in the evening would be pretty good. It could run 7-8 or 8-9? Maybe we could use it to kick off the night fighting.

Cyric you mentioned something in the other thread about the Knights wanting to do something. Would you like to incorporate that into this? It isnt a terrible idea to limit the teachers to only being Knights. Opinions on this?
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby bo1 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:20 pm

many of our best fighters are not knights,

peter, you physic, bahkdar and many others out side belegarth.

it looks pretty silly to say to a guy like leaf or brennon, ya you cant teach sorry, then have them whoop the **** out of the teachers of the classes.

anyone that can teach well should be teaching classes. just my thoughts, and doing it under the lights thursday and friday would be awesome. i think that is the best time for it, makes for a good night life and gives fighters a chance to work on things under a traditional nonfighting time.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:11 pm

My teachers at DeVry are great engineers, they also suck at teaching engineering. Teaching is a skill that doesn't follow from having skill in what's being taught.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Cyric » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:20 pm

We had talked about the idea of having a "Knight Corner" for this event, but not limiting it to knights. I'm all for having other non-knight people help with this. i'm just saying there should be some decent people present for people to wander up to and ask for a few minutes of sparring and advice, not just having an hour long class. I think having this under the lights would be a great idea.

I was going to help, but i guess bo says i can't.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby bo1 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:06 pm

hey you know darn well i was kidding mr, i said LOL.

anywho, i think it is a solid idea. and jimmy is right, skill and teaching skill are different arts all together. that is why peter is so valuable, he has both.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Juicer wrote:I'll teach a class! "Surviving Events as a Bum in Modern Belegarth Society 101"
Do this. As of now it's looking like I'll be landing in Chicago with 1 set of garb, 5 clean pairs underwear, 1 sweet hat, a 2 oz. tube of toothpaste, and a heart full of wonder and spite.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Azgarehta » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:24 am

I plan on walking around and find all the best spear fighters in Dag and Bel to fight them, and see if I can pick up some pointers from them. It'd be a shame to be this close to good, experienced fighters, and not attempt to learn a trick or two from them.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Kensman Bam » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:22 am

As a Celt persona, I do value one on one combat, but will these classes also teach folks how to line fight or fend of multiple opponents? Just curious. ;)
Kensman in House Haldane
Chieftain of the Cu Sith
Proud member of House Haldane
Realm Leader of The SouthernMarches
http://www.cusithwarband.com
Kensman Bam
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 03 Jul 2005
Realm: Kenevara
Unit: Cu Sith
Glaive/Spear
Red
Unarmed

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:50 am

Swordbrother Bam wrote:As a Celt persona, I do value one on one combat, but will these classes also teach folks how to line fight or fend of multiple opponents? Just curious. ;)

From the sound of the format, grab a few guys and hit up one of the vets. With say 3 guys, they'll be able to give you some of the fundamentals on line fighting and 1 vs many.

Classes are passive, you show up and material is presented to you without the need of any action on your part. This is a much more active approach, you take the initiative. You're (in general, not you Bam) the one asking questions, so you're selecting the material to be covered. It would help to know the strengths of specific knights too, ie: Nu minor has great line fighters.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Physic » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Swordbrother Bam wrote:As a Celt persona, I do value one on one combat, but will these classes also teach folks how to line fight or fend of multiple opponents? Just curious. ;)

It would be easier if it was limited to one on one training. There isnt going to be a lot of time spent on this as a whole. Teaching group combat takes a lot longer and you usually need more than a handful of people to get a good grasp of what is being taught. I think it would be nice in the future to incorporate teaching people how to fight in large numbers.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Jay HellHammer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Giggles wrote:
Do this. As of now it's looking like I'll be landing in Chicago with 1 set of garb, 5 clean pairs underwear, 1 sweet hat, a 2 oz. tube of toothpaste, and a heart full of wonder and spite.

Yeah this class needs to be taught. Your paying for a flight and bringing about 8 things too many.
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Juicer » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 am

Giggles wrote:

See me there. You have much to learn. Your heart is in the right place, the class costs four pairs of clean underwear.
Zwei ap Owen wrote:Juicer sho' nuff loves tuh shuffle.

Juiceros, the Deceptron. Kwisatz Haderach Musketeer from the future
Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 Aug 2004
Realm: Babylon. Blood in blood out.
Unit: HH
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brass knucks

Postby Tessa » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:43 pm

I think these sound like great ideas.
.. But I think Physic has a point...classes bad.... one on one good...:)

"just mine and morgakh two cents on the matter"
Tessa
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 20 Jul 1995
Realm: Dur-Demarion
Unit: Blade Storm

Postby The Great Gigsby » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Personally, I think a class set up is better because a class can focus on something more specific like feints, stabs, shield bashing, single sword, and so forth. Unless it's a really good teacher, 5-10 minutes of 1 on 1 time isn't long enough for me to really work on a skill and improve it. My time would be better spent just ditching or sparring. And if we're just talking about walking up to PtQ or Spyn or Bhakdar and saying "Hey, would you mind sparring with me for ten minutes, maybe give me some pointers?" how is that a class or bootcamp?

Juicer wrote:
Giggles wrote:

See me there. You have much to learn. Your heart is in the right place, the class costs four pairs of clean underwear.
... but I need those most of all. :cry:

Can I pay you in spite, hats, and toothpaste instead?
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby p_quick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:34 am

yea i'm game, I'm sure Ed the Dread is game as well.

lets look at who we have

Physic - probably something with a pole
Cyric - douche coach
Bo - little by little
Kerb - being tall and lefty
Spyn - single sword because two sword is to complex
Dread - knuckle dragging
PtQ - Cheating :roll:

but in all seriousness i'm totally game to teach any way we want to teach. one on one, class style, small group. anything the crowd wants.

I think i'd up for teaching a crowd fighting class (one on many).
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:59 am

I hate that I will be missing this since teaching fighting skills is an area of great interest to me. Unfortunately my work has me out in Cali that weekend. I look forward to seeing most of you later in the fall and hearing complete reports of how this went. I also look forward to detailed analysis here on the forum.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Postby p_quick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:03 pm

MHoG you will be missed
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

p_quick wrote:I think i'd up for teaching a crowd fighting class (one on many).
That would be awesome and I'd sign up for sure.
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Jorel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Being tall and lefty, I'm there and learning.
Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Northlands
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild

Postby Slagar » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:29 am

This sounds like it may turn out really well. Any chance that this stuff will wind up on tape for us poor unfortunate souls who'll miss it?
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006

Postby BattleChrist » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm not positive if I'm going to make it or not but if I do I would be down to help out if you need more people.
You gotta wonder what's up with that guy..... it's like god spilled a person.
BattleChrist
Thug
Thug

Realm: Ebonhold
Favorite Fighting Styles: Getting lucky

Postby Aelin Greenbough » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:00 pm

This will be my first time to a big Bel event, and I'm going to be combing it for every kernel o' knowledge. Due to that newness, though, I have questions regarding the boot camp:

Is there likely to be a dollar sign attached to this? Running on a shoestring, it's nice to know...

Actually, I guess that's my only question for now. I'm watching this thread, and I'm * well going to take every stab at improvement I get. If anyone ever feels the overpowering urge to teach, look for the lanky fellow in green with the weasel on his tabard.
Aelin Greenbough
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 14 Aug 2009
Realm: Nan Nehelduin
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & board, Always learning

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:28 pm

NaCl wrote:This will be my first time to a big Bel event, and I'm going to be combing it for every kernel o' knowledge. Due to that newness, though, I have questions regarding the boot camp:

Is there likely to be a dollar sign attached to this? Running on a shoestring, it's nice to know...

Actually, I guess that's my only question for now. I'm watching this thread, and I'm * well going to take every stab at improvement I get. If anyone ever feels the overpowering urge to teach, look for the lanky fellow in green with the weasel on his tabard.

Nope. If someone tries to charge you for knowledge at a Bel event, you should turn them a VERY critical eye.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Azgarehta » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:07 am

I'll have to pay them in cans of spaghetti-os
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby bo1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:36 pm

if you are truely on hard times find me i can make sure you wont die at the event, i will even ensure a level of comfort. unless you are a douche bag, then i will put you in the fire.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Physic » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:28 pm

What time would people like to start this? I suggest shortly after feast but before night fighting on either Friday or Saturday or both.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby BattleChrist » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:53 pm

bo1 wrote:if you are truely on hard times find me i can make sure you wont die at the event, i will even ensure a level of comfort. unless you are a douche bag, then i will put you in the fire.

If I make it we are so going to hang out...
You gotta wonder what's up with that guy..... it's like god spilled a person.
BattleChrist
Thug
Thug

Realm: Ebonhold
Favorite Fighting Styles: Getting lucky

Postby Dane » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:45 pm

Bro out, if you will.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Sir Misti » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Can you guys do this on say....
Wednesday
Thursday
and/or Saturday?

The gladiator pit is on Friday, and I would hate to take away from either..."classes" awesome...and gladiator pit=awesome...both need lights and would be after feast on Friday...bad idea.

I know I haven't got around to posting the "schedule of events" yet...I'm actually putting them together right now...SO! Could you choose another night(s) other than Friday...and if so, I would be more than happy to include them in the schedule so everyone knows about it.

Thanks!!! Please let me know asap!
Sir Misti
Brute
Brute

Unit: Dark Angels
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Punch
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Iorek » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:06 pm

ON Sir Misti's note I'd say Saturday since not as many people will be out by Thursday. Not to mention (being one of those people who can't make it until friday) I've been told most of the people who show up on Thursday are the better fighters anyways.

Please correct if wrong =)
"Marshmallow Peeps: so good their like breaking a man's will, snapping his mind and slurping down his soul."- Cthulhu

"You know if I sit on my hand for five minutes and slap you with it, it feel like someone else do it," - Iorek to goblin.

"Cool, I don't mind people thinking we're orks, I just don't want them thinking we're illiterate"- Iorek to fellow uruk.
Iorek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 13 Jan 2005
Realm: rausumea
Unit: uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board

Postby Sir Misti » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Why not multiple nights? It sounds like fun enough to have more than just one night...plus there is always lots to learn. But, I won't be there...most likely "stuck" in troll...but I'm just throwing it out there as an option to you guys...but I must know for sure soon so I can get the hand outs printed off. That is, if you guys want it put on there. If I don't get a definate answer by tomorrow morning, I'm having them printed off with out it. Sorry guys...I know that may sound ****...but I have 600-ish pieces of paper to fold and I want to get it out of the way now that I have almost everything on them done.

Thanks!!!
Sir Misti
Brute
Brute

Postby Physic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Thank you Misti, I would just schedule it on Saturday. If people really want to do it on Thursday we can have an informal get together with it. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Sir Misti » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:16 am

Saturday it is! No problem, Physic!

Thanks!
Sir Misti
Brute
Brute

Postby Bhakdar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm in to help.

If its Thursday, I'll host sword/board basics.

If its Saturday, it's gonna be Crunk Combat.

With the banter of this thread, it seems a pretty good panel could be set up for 'Smack Talk and Smugness" as well.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Next

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training