Shield Idea

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shield Idea

Postby Zithkor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 pm

I had an idea for a shield that I would like to try. I can see a few up and down sides to it but i wanted some more experienced advice on what you think of the design. Here is a rough picture, the size and angles are still being thought on.

I'm right handed, so i drew it the wrong way :spear: but the concept is the same. Thanks for any input.
Last edited by Zithkor on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?”
Zithkor
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 08 Sep 2009

Re: Shield Idea

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Really really bad idea. Open you up to a hip wrap, pock stab, all kinda of things, and you don't gain THAT much additional range of motion.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Zithkor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 pm

What if i rotated the shield to better cover my side? Ill probibly just end up making a round shield instead but... what do you think?

“You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?”
Zithkor
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:52 pm

I agree with Jimington. Stick to a basic round shield no more than 28" in diameter, unless you're huge.

If you rotate the shield, you're going to open up your shoulder/chest or your hip. Really, when you're holding a round shield properly, it doesn't really impede your swinging movement at all.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Zithkor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:53 pm

OK, thanks for the advice. That what i figured I would end up with but i figured id see what some other people thought of the idea.
Zithkor
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Slagar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Alright, so I've kinda got a different thought here. What I did, is I took a standard 28" round, and added an extra two inches in foam strips to the edges of my shield, but beveled them off to give a sort of "flat spot" right in front of my hand. Same basic upsides as your idea, but no carving out, just flat. This gives you that added mobility, and a nice flat point for better contact while punching, but doesn't take away any of the defense that a standard 28" round would have here. So yeah, your plain 30" round might have a little better coverage there, but with all the crosses I throw, this seemed like a good bet.

For the record, I've taken this through several Numenor practices, and Lord of War. Seems to work fine so far.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training