Two Questions

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Two Questions

Postby Kain » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:14 pm

When watching an archer, what part of their body do you watch to give away where they will fire?
Also What is a good strategy for defending against a flail with sword and board?
"These poor, simple folk - too fearful or too dull-witted to see the vulgarity and evil in their own midst. They wail and complain about my... uncompromising methods, but who among you can say that hanging half a village is a high price to pay for the assurance that corruption has been exposed and destroyed this day?" - Ernst Traugott, Templar Witch Hunter
Kain
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 08 Sep 2009
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Militis Mortis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tank

Re: Two Questions

Postby varadin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:24 pm

they tend to move their back hand when they fire(ZING). That and any good archer will rock back and then into a shot to get a bit more momentum if they are shooting a long distance.

Punch the chain. If anything hits the power will be gone and it will most likely tap you lightly. The ball is the deadly part so you got to focus on it. The haft looks nice and inviting to block since it is so long it a trap.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Kain » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm attempting to get a better idea of "reading" where an arrow is shooting at. The faster I realize where they are firing the faster I can block with my shield. Any tips for arrow blocking? (not just for yourself, but for others near you.) And thank you for the tips thus far Varadin.
"These poor, simple folk - too fearful or too dull-witted to see the vulgarity and evil in their own midst. They wail and complain about my... uncompromising methods, but who among you can say that hanging half a village is a high price to pay for the assurance that corruption has been exposed and destroyed this day?" - Ernst Traugott, Templar Witch Hunter
Kain
Underling
Underling

Postby Kyrian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Most archers (other than the occasional sneaky one 8) ) will focus directly on what they're aiming at so if nothing else, you might be able to distinguish between a head shot, body shot, or leg shot. That should at least give you a clue as to whether to lift or move the leg, keep the shield in place, or raise it to guard your head.

One thing that I occasionally do as an archer is to lock in on a person's legs and then look up while keeping my arrow locked on the low target. When the person sees I'm about to take the shot and thinks it's a body or head shot, I'm able to hit him in the legs. The reverse also applies. I may lock in to the head and then look as though I'm aiming for a leg when I actually release the arrow.

As far as blocking, a big part of that is developing your melee situational awareness and reading where the archers are. While you still have to worry about the one(s) directly in front of you, there may also be archers farther out who may still be capable of hitting you. Getting a helm helps. It reduces your vulnerable areas. Keep in mind to try and stop the forward motion of any missile weapon be it arrow, javelin, or rock. If you don't, it could still continue on and hit someone behind you.

When you're walking or running across an archer's field of view, don't move at a constant pace. Try stutter-stepping, outright pausing, and changing your speed. A big part of applying lead to a moving target is accurately predicting where the target is going to be. If you aren't predictable, then the archer is going to have a harder time hitting you.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks for the Tips
Kain
Underling
Underling

Postby Samhain Crawford » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Present as narrow a target to the archer as possible, even if you have a shield. And in addition to changing speeds, alter your direction every now and again as you close on the archer. Don't take the straightest line possible automatically. And as for how to read the archer, keep in mind that the arrow can only travel in a straight line, so the target is going to be along the line from the head to the knock. Clever archers might change that line at the last moment before shooting, but that makes it very difficult for their aim, so they won't do that if they don't think they have to.
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby Satanaka » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 pm

"...Best Block- No Be there..."
Wear a helm and just charge with the shield. (if round shield- look out for leg shots.

Get a Javalin- and peg the archer. Best way to learn to fight against a weapons style is to fight with it- see what the weapon can do and how it works. The better you understand the weapon- the better you will be able to fight with it and against it.

good luck

Kain wrote:I'm attempting to get a better idea of "reading" where an arrow is shooting at. The faster I realize where they are firing the faster I can block with my shield. Any tips for arrow blocking? (not just for yourself, but for others near you.) And thank you for the tips thus far Varadin.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Yaga Malarque » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:07 am

Archer Defense: Practice, practice, practice! My buddy, Todo, has asked me to shoot at him as often as practical when I arch. Thusly, he now has a keen understanding of the archer mind, and is virtually untouchable. I myself simply had my siblings shoot at me as often as could be pursuaded, and practiced dodging at a stand-still.

Flail Defense: Aggression and a well-placed shield bash. Also, if using a shield against a flail-wielder, keep your shield away from your body to avoid the wrapping shots customary to flails.
Somebody call for the WiTcH DoCtOr?
Yaga Malarque
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2002
Realm: Stygia and Dur Demarion
Unit: Olag-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Simple Weapons, "Raider" Style

Postby Vandey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:50 pm

Alright my group has about two flail users and my whole unit uses bows pretty much so i have some tips. ALright so for most archers there gonna be putting there bow forward well alot of times you can get around them cause the focus of there eyes is usually on there target. that works for 2 outa of our 5 rangers.. The other ones will nail you in the face if you try to sneak around them. so thats the one flaw to that plan. Next tip is just get a sheild and get at them. Sheilds block arrows so if you have one you can get closer and closer and they cant do anything if you do it well enough remember you hit there bow and it counts as broken so it cant be used again for the round. Alright now flail tips. Alright first off if you angle your sheild you can cover the shoulder more and make it harder to wrap around you. Now for The 3 flail users i know one of them has a short handled flail he made, The other has a short handled edhellen and the third is murdoc the mad who has a long flail. if they have a short handle then when they swing you block that ball and there arm is wide open. Hope there helpful and sorry for the insanly long post when i start typeing about belegarth i cant stop... =p
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 Dec 2008
Realm: Thorion Raiders
Unit: Rangers Of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Florentine, Archery

Postby No'Vak » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:19 am

Vandey wrote:Alright my group has about two flail users and my whole unit uses bows pretty much so i have some tips. ALright so for most archers there gonna be putting there bow forward well alot of times you can get around them cause the focus of there eyes is usually on there target. that works for 2 outa of our 5 rangers.. The other ones will nail you in the face if you try to sneak around them. so thats the one flaw to that plan. Next tip is just get a sheild and get at them. Sheilds block arrows so if you have one you can get closer and closer and they cant do anything if you do it well enough remember you hit there bow and it counts as broken so it cant be used again for the round. Alright now flail tips. Alright first off if you angle your sheild you can cover the shoulder more and make it harder to wrap around you. Now for The 3 flail users i know one of them has a short handled flail he made, The other has a short handled edhellen and the third is murdoc the mad who has a long flail. if they have a short handle then when they swing you block that ball and there arm is wide open. Hope there helpful and sorry for the insanly long post when i start typeing about belegarth i cant stop... =p

Fail necro post is fail.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training