Short Blade Fighting

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Short Blade Fighting

Postby Kyrinn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 pm

I have been spending a bit too much time lately playing Assassin's Creed and I was wondering:
1) if there is an actual style similar to how the character (altiar) fights with a short blade,
and
2) if there is, what is it called and what is best way to learn it. (books, instructors, etc)

I'm not usually one to take fighting lessons from video games but this games is one where I could see the developers doing research on different fighting styles to get better gameplay.

Here is an ok vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzPeaIWIfpM&feature=fvw
I think he pulls out the short blade around 0:40 or so.
From what i can tell there is a lot of reaction to the style but other than that I'm at a loss.
"Ce n'est rein mourir; C'est affreux ne pas vivre" - Victor Hugo
Kyrinn
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Re: Short Blade Fighting

Postby Tails » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:06 pm

There are two conversions here that make what you are trying to acomplish impossible (at least how you are trying)

1) Video game combat to real combat: Not entirely realistic. Sure the bio mechanics look good, but what the programmers don't have to worry about is the weight of the weapon and how that'd effect everything.

2) Real combat to belegarth combat: Our weapons are too different from their real counter parts. So, what worked for the real people swinging the real stuff. So the fighting styles that work for real weapons don't transfer over very gracefully. HERE

Honestly, if you wanna fight like Altiar you will die a LOT, you might look cool every 20 deaths, but you will die a lot. I love that game and I can't wait for the second, but for what we do it's just not feasible. The closest thing to doing what he dose that fighters in our sport do is "flo fighting." If you wanna do that check out this thread.

Though Ezio is much better then Altiar, he can pick up other weapons and dosen't afraid of anything.

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjIEft7YRg0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjIEft7YRg0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Derian » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:22 pm

You can fight single blue with a sword around 30-32" and still be pretty effective if you're really good, but fighting in that style won't be effective.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby bo1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:49 pm

what the heck are you talking about, replicatig video game fighting is the bestess stylez evar. it cannot ever be beaten all these people are just trying to keep you on the losing path. lol

ya that is a joke.

video games and other fancy fighting usually results in a pretty inefffective fighting style. they run run for those moves is just too long and predictable.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Kyrinn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:03 pm

I figured as much but I thought it was worth a try. Admittedly I wasn't sure that style would in actual combat. I guess I'm just easily distracted by by shiny (or flashy things). I'm not one for a lot of embellishments in fighting but that just looked elegant and simple, oh well back to my usual tactics... 8)
"Ce n'est rein mourir; C'est affreux ne pas vivre" - Victor Hugo
Kyrinn
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Azgarehta » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:40 pm

I fight with a spear a lot, but switch sometimes to single blue, flail, or florentine daggers. These all help a ton to force better footwork, sidearm blocking, and getting comfortable with shieldmen up close and personal.

If you're looking for a martial art to do some real life knife fighting, check out some of the filipino martial arts like escrma, arnis, silat or alternatively krav maga or one of the russian styles. (sambo or the like) Almost every martial art has some knife fighting in it (even kung fu has butterfly knives) but these are the ones known for knives.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Against the relatively new people in my new realm, I'm really enjoying using a medium blue/green sword with a good crossguard. I switch hands from time to time and use my offhand for grabbing shields/pommels/shafts and for halfswording. I think that if you are fighting single blue, you really ought to be using your offhand in some way, ideally beyond keeping balance or being an extra shield against your body.

The style basically forces me to move fast, be unpredictable, and be aggressive. Not sure how similar it is to the fighting in your game, but maybe it'll help.

I'm not very familiar with the game, but I encourage you to try to imitate him. Just don't do it blindly.. do it in a way where you are actually testing out what you think might work and what might not. Then evaluate what did work and what didn't, and how it all could work even better.

I love the style I described above, but anyone who knew what they were doing would be able to take me apart pretty quickly. Especially if I were surrounded by four or five attackers like the guy in your video when he starts fighting around 40 seconds in. (Notice that only one of them ever attacks him at a time)
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Vandey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:54 pm

In my Group we have a few shorter weapons and ill say this ive found that the shorter the weapon you use the faster you get better. sure your gonna die alot... but thats jsut as important as winning when your first starting out. The shorter weapon just makes it so you have more control over your shots and you can learn how to place your shots, A very very important skill for when you make the switch to longer weapons. But again this is what ive found and might not work exactly the same with the way you fight. everyones diffrent im just trying to help you in any way i can.
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 Dec 2008
Realm: Thorion Raiders
Unit: Rangers Of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Florentine, Archery

Postby No'Vak » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:20 am

Vandey wrote:In my Group we have a few shorter weapons and ill say this ive found that the shorter the weapon you use the faster you get better. sure your gonna die alot... but thats jsut as important as winning when your first starting out. The shorter weapon just makes it so you have more control over your shots and you can learn how to place your shots, A very very important skill for when you make the switch to longer weapons. But again this is what ive found and might not work exactly the same with the way you fight. everyones diffrent im just trying to help you in any way i can.

Last one I'm replying to.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:26 pm
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training