Sword Size benefit?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sword Size benefit?

Postby zeroek » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Lately I've been using a 30 to 32 inch sword. Now say I decided to go to a 36" sword. I know the length is a benefit but is there any other benefits? Keep in mind All of this constructed from 1/2" round fiberglass core and right now I gotta use blue camp pad foam. Too poor to afford the good mats.
zeroek
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 May 2008
Realm: Mittelmarch
Unit: Legion of the Dragoons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword_Board

Re: Sword Size benefit?

Postby Dane » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Longer sword=longer reach.
Shorter sword=more dynamic angles, faster shots, quicker reset to guard

Decide at what range you want to fight, and choose an appropriate length.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I love my 32" sword, you just have to know what your weapon is good for.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby kree » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:24 am

danes exactly right, as a frequent user of the punch and pie technique i can tell you one thing, the closer you get to a person with a long sword, the less they can do about it
The Shnitzel
Squire to Sir Dameon

kree
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2007
Realm: In the cut In the cut
Unit: HH Barreler
Favorite Fighting Styles: Punch and Pie/Red Sword/Sword and Board

Postby Slagar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:33 am

My go-to solution here is a 24" blade with a 10" handle. The grip just above the pommel gives you all the range you could reasonably want, while a rogue or flat grip gives you the most dynamic * angles you've ever seen (I like the rogue lingo, it's fun). I tend to keep a pair of these, with green tips, at all times. Best swords I've ever used.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby zeroek » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:36 am

I love using that method with thumb on blade.
zeroek
Underling
Underling

Postby Lucerne » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Oh there is DEFINITELY a benefit to having a bigger ''sword''
Lucerne
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 08 Oct 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Being a man

Postby Nikola the Bear-hat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Lucerne wrote:Oh there is DEFINITELY a benefit to having a bigger ''sword''

*sigh* It's S words, Mr. Connery.
Fighter of Forodwaith
Running on a 3:1 mixture of hatred and spite since 1992.
Does a rocking horse have a hickory *?
Here at PLANTERS, we're passionate about fresh tasting nuts. In fact, our nuts taste Famously Fresh... nut after nut after nut.
Nikola the Bear-hat
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2009
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swordnboard, Red

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:01 pm

I try to fight like I'm using a short sword when it's realy like 38" long. This keep me hitting with the middle/bottom of the blade and people can't seem to get back far enough. But then I suck with s&b.
I like a my long blue for single blue work.
And all the ladies like my longer sword.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Todo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Forkbeard wrote:And all the ladies like my longer sword.

I heard that one didn't work anymore.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Vandey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:23 pm

I use a 30in Double core fiberglass sword. Its pretty light and actually has a good reach i Like it alot now to train i really like smaller swords cause it teaches you alot about controlling your shots and getting used to where to hit. Then you can move to a longer blade when you can place your shots well enough to get over the disadvantage of the longer blade.
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 Dec 2008
Realm: Thorion Raiders
Unit: Rangers Of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Florentine, Archery

Postby No'Vak » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:15 am

Vandey wrote:I use a 30in Double core fiberglass sword. Its pretty light and actually has a good reach i Like it alot now to train i really like smaller swords cause it teaches you alot about controlling your shots and getting used to where to hit. Then you can move to a longer blade when you can place your shots well enough to get over the disadvantage of the longer blade.

$20 says its not really light.

I have a 36" double core with a stab tip. I love it. I pick up another sword and it feels like nothing.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby zeroek » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:08 am

What kind of sword weight is everyone running? I had to stop making my own and just buy pre made because I keep blowing out the * tips.
zeroek
Underling
Underling

Postby Slagar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:51 pm

About 18-20oz. For a 36" sword (26" blade, 10" handle).
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby zeroek » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm gonna try out some of edhellen's swords. At Wolfpack Opener there was a huge amount of those on the field. All the ones I've ever made have came out pretty low in weight but still within specs to pass weapons check and I know the edhellen's are a little heavier. Maybe it'll do me good to use something heavier for a good long while.
zeroek
Underling
Underling

Postby Jcollins » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:15 pm

This is from Sir Brennon an Amtgard Warlord

http://www.warlordsports.com/Main.aspx?content=articles

4/14/2010 On Sword Choice
Brennon

Every configuration of sword has a different set of benefits and characteristics when compared to other swords. Given that I see most people reaching automatically for the longest, lightest sword possible I thought I should take a few paragraphs to explain the differences and uses of the common sword types offered by WLS. I'll go in order of length and cover the various sub-types within that length as I go.

30 Inch: The 30 inch sword is the fastest weapon available that still has a solid reach. It forces a fighter to develop footwork and reading abilities in order to properly exploit the speed available. The short length also means the weapon is more manageable when fighting with other equipment as it is less prone to become tangled; it's an excellent backup weapon for a pole fighter or tucked in a belt as a holdout. This weapon is also extremely handy for training florentine: If you put a longer weapon in your off-hand and this weapon in your dominant hand you will find that you automatically start utilizing your off-hand more. This length of weapon really shines when used with an aggressive style and a small punch shield. That style gives you maximum speed and mobility which can absolutely devastate more static fighters or fighters using longer weapons. The unweighted, standard core version of this sword balances just slightly towards the tip. The tough core version is more pronouncedly towards the tip, but not overly so. The weighted and tough version has the weight firmly in your hand.

33 Inch: The 33 inch sword is, in my opinion, the best balance of length and speed. If you've already got solid footwork and good timing, you're going to find that this is your sweet spot. It is versatile enough to snipe arms and effectively threaten range while still enabling a fast return to guard and the ability press solidly without being choked by your own weapon. I use twin 33's with back weighting when I fight florentine because it gives me excellent blocking stability and brings the balance to just above the grip, enabling some really fast wraps and solid chops. It's also my default sword and board stick when I'm fighting fast and hard with a lot of movement. If you're not sure what you want to work with, a 33 with some back weight is a great starting point. The stock version of this weapon is balanced about 1/3rd up from the bottom of the sword, the tough core balances out a bit beyond that, and the weighted tough version ends up just above the handle.

36 Inch: This sword is for people who already have long reach and are looking to maximize that advantage or very static fighters who need to get the most out of their range without moving their feet. It's going to be a slower return to guard and it's going to telegraph your shots more, so you're going to have to work more feints and misdirection into your fighting style to make up for that. Another option is to get this weapon and choke up on it, effectively making it a 33 with an extra long handle to help with blocking your side, hips, and forearms. When I fight with one of these I tend to choke way up on it and only use the length when I'm stabbing or throwing a shot at a fighter who is retreating. Also if I'm being purposefully defensive, perhaps guarding a pole or other teammate, I'll use the sword at full length and use it to passively project range and keep people back. I would advise this sword if you're the archetypal 'hop and pop' fighter with long, lanky arms that you're looking to capitalize on or if you've got mobility problems (bad knees or the like). Otherwise I would recommend you go with something shorter and try to better develop your footwork. The stock version of this weapon is balanced about 2/5ths up the sword, the tough balances out more at half, and the weighted tough version balances out at about 1/3rd up the sword.

So next time you're looking to build or buy a sword I hope you will take a minute and give thought to what your style of fighting is and what weapon best compliments it. Having good equipment is helpful, but having the right equipment is essential.
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 1993
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: 28" shield and Short Sword

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 am

Speed kills. For me that means I use a 12.5-13 oz blade. Of course, I have to make sure my stick is also properly balanced because balance means more than total wight anyway.

As for length, Kree is correct and Bel is particularly unforgiving on long swords at close range because thos bad angles take away sufficient force quickly. Anthing from 28-36 works fine but longer than that, you pretty much have to spend a lot of time controlling range with your feet. That's not impossible or anything, its just not my cup of team.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Postby Phrix » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 am

speed is good, but if you lack the strength to make that speed "deadly" whats the point?

my first sword that I made was out of 1/2" PVC and litterally after counterweighting it weighs like 2 pounds its a really heavy sword I used that for a few weeks.

my second sword I still use today is a 1/2 inch round fiberglass 32" duel-core 34" overall (including pomel) and the blade is about 24" its not light either but its a HELL of alot lighter then my first sword. holding it up near the blade gives me my up close and personal game and holding down near the pommel gives me the reach when its called for.

after using my first sword for awhile i think it strenghthened my arm up so when I did make my duel core im faster with it I still use my PVC sword for beating on a tree pretty much - just so I STAY fast with my lighter sword

my point being here - you don't need a cheater stick to be fast
Remy the Wroth wrote:Let me put it this way. You are WWII-era Poland: running around on horses waving your lil' swords around and getting drunk. We are WWII-era Germany: blitzkrieging thru your country with **** Panzer tanks.

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Rath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B

Postby Slagar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:17 am

Dude. Just no.

For one, hit the gym 2-3 times a week. That'll keep you faster than using some poorly-made monstrosity. And without the overall harm to your game.

Also, training with the same gear all the time vastly improves your timing and shot placement. I tend to use the same three swords all the time, two of which are the same length. My placement with a 32" sword, especially my favorite one, is freakin' solid, becaue my muscles have it burned into them at this point.

And finally, it's not a 'cheater stick'. It's well above minimum weight, and well within the rules. If you can't handle that, then it's time to talk your realm rep about changing the rules. If someone can hit me hard enough, and the weapon passes check, than the rest of the problem is mine to handle. Get better, work on your timing and active defense. One of the knights in my realm used to use double-core longswords. He managed just fine, ultra-light opponents be damned. The rules are what they are, everything else is a personal issue.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 am

I definitely agree with Slagar about practicing with what you fight with. Its part of why I like 13 oz swords. I use the same ones in both Bel and Amt even though I could use legal 10 oz sticks in Amt easy enough. I strongly believe that if my corss gaming preference was SCA, I would use a heavier Bel stick to keep it close to the weight of my SCA sticks.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Phrix » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Slagar wrote:Dude. Just no.

For one, hit the gym 2-3 times a week. That'll keep you faster than using some poorly-made monstrosity. And without the overall harm to your game.

My duel core and my pvc are the same length there almost identical, the only difference is the core and the weight. Its not poorly made its just heavier, and where the gym usually works all your muscles and is a very good thing to do, its the muscle memory + strengthening the muscles while im at it is what im going for.

Don't put me down for the way I practice/train just because were different .

Slagar wrote:Also, training with the same gear all the time vastly improves your timing and shot placement.

If you had read I DO train with the same gear all the time... 2 swords thats it..

Slagar wrote:And finally, it's not a 'cheater stick'. It's well above minimum weight, and well within the rules.

Why you took this personally like I was talking about your personal equipment. I have no clue, but I don't like uberlights - I call them cheater sticks ie - min weight weapons. I don't want the rules changed I just don't like them.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Let me put it this way. You are WWII-era Poland: running around on horses waving your lil' swords around and getting drunk. We are WWII-era Germany: blitzkrieging thru your country with **** Panzer tanks.

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Slagar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm not trying to put you down. I apologize if it came off that way. A 2.5 lb sword is actually heavier than is historically accurate at that length, and is way out of line for traditional belegarth play. I agree that 'horribly-made' is insulting, so I'll retract it in favor of 'wierd'. My bad, bro.

That being said, 'cheater' is the worst name you can label somebody with in this game. When you play an honor-based game, 'cheater' is kind of a big deal. You have your preferences, and that's fine, whatever I may think of them. To call somebody who uses legal weapons, whether you like 'em or not, a 'cheater', which is most certainly what's implied, is a * move. So yeah, I take it a little personally. I don't usually use min-weights myself, but I'm still touchy about it.

You can have whatever opinions you like, lord knows I do. But when they leave your head and show up in a public forum, then you're accountable for the way you phrase 'em. I hope that helps you understand my reaction.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Phrix » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 pm

I actually just weighed it, its actually 25 ozs if it was a little bit (of alot) longer it could pass for a min red hahaha

No offence taken man the reason I call it a cheater stick mostly min weight blues is because when I pick one up I seriously feel like im cheating lol I know it being an honor based game its a bad thing to say and I apologize I didn't mean for it to be takin that way

that aside back on topic

the general consensus from what I have seen all across the boards is just to START a 32" core with a 24" blade and from there you can see what kind of fighter you want to be and make another weapon accordingly ie - shorter for more up close agressive fighting and longer for more static fighting or to keep your opponent at a distance

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Slagar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Phrix wrote:the general consensus from what I have seen all across the boards is just to START a 32" core with a 24" blade and from there you can see what kind of fighter you want to be and make another weapon accordingly ie - shorter for more up close agressive fighting and longer for more static fighting or to keep your opponent at a distance

Pretty much. There's more to longer weapons than being a static fighter, believe me. Other than that, though, you pretty much got it.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby zeroek » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:48 pm

As of lately I've grown pretty fond of a 33.5" blue. 13oz. Kitespar cored. Can't seem to put it down.
zeroek
Underling
Underling

Postby Mughi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 pm

I started out with a 36" blue, because I thought since I have short arms I had to make up for the reach.

I've since switched to 26-28" butterknives/maces, and love them.
i can tell you one thing, the closer you get to a person with a long sword, the less they can do about it

Changed my life.
Mughi
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 05 Mar 2010
Realm: Malkier
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Smithin'.

Postby Mase » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 am

I'm 5' 10" which most people consider tall. (I consider it average.)

When I started foam fighitng I liked polearms. Playing the range game as t'were.

However I realized that I was just using that due to lack of fighting skill. Single blue fights against equally skilled friends have lead me to develop good foot work and combat skill. And it lead me to dual weilding.

My swords vary from 32-36" any longer than that and my swing speed suffers and tangles the swords up too much when fighting up close.

I also like 48" reds.

In my experience (generally speaking don't kill me) newbies love long weapons because all they have to due is swing them around and no one closes in on them. Where as my friends that have been fighting a long time like short swords and daggers, because once you close up on someone with a longer weapon they can't do much. (Not saying that there aren't veterans using polearms.)

Longer = range and fear factor.

Short = faster and more versitile.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Arrakis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 am

Phrix: 25 oz is no where near 2#. It's like 3/4 of two pounds. God, I hate when people talk about **** weighing X Pounds when they have no idea what weight something actually is.

25 oz is not an unreasonable weight for a Bel sword. Neither is 13 oz. Anything over 11.99 oz is NOT, repeat NOT a "cheater stick" and if you call one of my 15 ozers a "cheater stick" to my face, expect me to turn the heat up to the point that you go home with a lot of bruises from very legal shots. I'd expect the same treatment if you implied that one of Michael or Spyn or Peter's weapons was causing them to cheat.

On topic:

I'm using a pair of 35s right now, on .524, that weigh 18 oz. They're balanced just a littttle bit too far forward or back for me (One or the other, they need to move about an inch). I don't know what I'm going to do about that, as they're done and basically perfect otherwise and I don't want to have to rip them apart to make them feel right...

Maybe I'll just hit the gym more often and man up...

And make some 32s....
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Phrix » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Arrakis wrote:Phrix: 25 oz is no where near 2#. It's like 3/4 of two pounds. God, I hate when people talk about **** weighing X Pounds when they have no idea what weight something actually is.

Thats why I found out what it actually weighed in at.

On another note it really does feel much heavier then it actually is it might be how its counterweighted im not sure.

Arrakis wrote:25 oz is not an unreasonable weight for a Bel sword. Neither is 13 oz. Anything over 11.99 oz is NOT, repeat NOT a "cheater stick" and if you call one of my 15 ozers a "cheater stick" to my face, expect me to turn the heat up to the point that you go home with a lot of bruises from very legal shots. I'd expect the same treatment if you implied that one of Michael or Spyn or Peter's weapons was causing them to cheat.

this is a simple answer refer to my signature and have a nice day =)

edit -- forgot this little bit here -- see if you had read the posts you would know why I call it a cheater stick
Phrix wrote:I call it a cheater stick mostly min weight blues is because when I pick one up I seriously feel like im cheating lol I know it being an honor based game its a bad thing to say and I apologize I didn't mean for it to be takin that way

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Cool story, bro. I'm going to call you * because your name reminds me of a chicken and a turkey and you're a guy. Don't take offense or anything, though.

Don't **** call peoples' gear "cheater" anything.
Arrakis

Postby Phrix » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Ya mad "bro"? Cry more please do, all you do is troll and tear people apart that don't agree with you so please cry more.

Call me what you like. What you think and say really doesn't effect me in the least bit.

If you would learn to read which apparently you can't, you would know that I never called anyones gear anything.

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Mughi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Phrix, don't pick a fight on the forum. Pick a fight on the field.

As for calling Arrakis, one of the most consistantly helpful and noob-friendly people on this board a "troll"... Oh boy. It becomes more hypocritical when you have argued now with more than one person and called others cheaters, inadvertantly or not.

If you would learn to read which apparently you can't, you would know that I never called anyones gear anything.

I call it a cheater stick mostly min weight blues is because when I pick one up I seriously feel like im cheating lol I know it being an honor based game its a bad thing to say and I apologize I didn't mean for it to be takin that way

I can understand the desire to be macho like Forkbeard. You aren't though, and puffing yourself up is a sure way to get popped. Respond logically, learn, and once you've cultivated respect around here like the people you're trashing, then your rants might recieve attention.

I'm not saying I have the answers, I'm just saying you clearly don't either - Respect your betters, toss in your 2c, and when you get corrected learn from it.
Mughi
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 05 Mar 2010
Realm: Malkier
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Smithin'.

Postby Jcollins » Sat May 01, 2010 1:57 am

this is all easily settled...next big event roll up to some one like Brennon, Spyn, Peter, Clalibus and the like and tell em they are using cheater sticks and are pansies for using light weapons when they should clearly man up and use a heavier stick.

problem solved.
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Postby Phrix » Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 am

ok ... so I get swore at and called names and im picking a fight? ... ok...

Arrakis wrote:Phrix: 25 oz is no where near 2#. It's like 3/4 of two pounds. God, I hate when people talk about **** weighing X Pounds when they have no idea what weight something actually is.

Phrix wrote:my first sword that I made was out of 1/2" PVC and litterally after counterweighting it weighs like 2 pounds its a really heavy sword I used that for a few weeks.

I guessed... my bad

Phrix wrote:I actually just weighed it, its actually 25 ozs if it was a little bit (of alot) longer it could pass for a min red hahaha

what is 25 ozs? ... like 1.5 pounds? .... pretty * close guess

Arrakis wrote:turn the heat up to the point that you go home with a lot of bruises from very legal shots.

ya cause that was me.. sure it was..

Arrakis wrote:Cool story, bro. I'm going to call you * because your name reminds me of a chicken and a turkey and you're a guy. Don't take offense or anything, though.

oh ya that was me too... im the one being macho pfft

again and for the last time

I didn't call anyones gear anything I simply clarified that when I (meaning me not anyone else ME MYSELF AND I) pick one up I (again ME) feel like im cheating so I (ME again..) don't use them

I EVEN APOLOGIZED FOR SAYING IT !!!
Phrix wrote: I apologize I didn't mean for it to be takin that way

And very lastly ill fight anyone and if I die (which I probably will), I die, be it by a ultralight or any other kind of sword. Battles last a whole what? 3 minutes? I don't care its a sport/game were all here to have fun the more people I fight the more I learn

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Jcollins » Sat May 01, 2010 10:53 am

perhaps your choice of words is what keeps putting your foot in your mouth.
dont say the weapons are like cheating because of their weight.
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Postby No'Vak » Sat May 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Mughi get your head out of arrakis' *.

This really should be locked, the fire is out of control. This isn't the forum for this kind of stuff.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Phrix » Sat May 01, 2010 5:35 pm

yes my choice of words was very poor and I did apologize for it

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby The Lost Celt » Sat May 01, 2010 9:54 pm

Slagar wrote:
Phrix wrote:the general consensus from what I have seen all across the boards is just to START a 32" core with a 24" blade and from there you can see what kind of fighter you want to be and make another weapon accordingly ie - shorter for more up close agressive fighting and longer for more static fighting or to keep your opponent at a distance

Pretty much. There's more to longer weapons than being a static fighter, believe me. Other than that, though, you pretty much got it.

Curious about what you mean Slagar in the other half of the coin sense, when I did fight sword and board my favorite weapon had an 18in blade, certainly it wasn't as effective on a line but toe to toe I would try to get to a point where my blade had reach and theirs didn't, I could never really punch the hole per say but once they bridged that gap I was pretty evil about exploiting it...

Anymore if I use my shield I'll use a dagger one on one, mainly because I'm out of touch with using a shield lately and it's really fun seeing someone who's stuck in the line tactic get wide eyed when I bypass their guard and either put them to the ground or take the sword from them, even funner is when two shieldmen both use daggers, infighting is just too much fun...
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Slagar » Sun May 02, 2010 10:48 am

You need to be just as active when using a long sword, but in very different ways. If I'm fighting somebody who uses a shorter sword than me, and who wants to gets right into my face, then it's my job to not let them.

Footwork, timing, active blocking, and a lot of other things go into being an effective range fighter. The best example I can think of is Sir Kenneth. Watch him when he really goes on a roll. He moves around a lot, baits people into moving into his range, and munches them, all while using 36" swords.

The simple fact is that a 'static' range fighter will absolutely get munched by a short-sword grind fighter. You just stand there and watch them get inside, you deserve to get mowed down. So you don't let them.

Here's video of Kenny going on a nice little bender at WPO '09. Start watching at 00:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dng0hbPLzGA
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Æthelric » Sun May 02, 2010 11:21 am

Noik wrote:This really should be locked, the fire is out of control. This isn't the forum for this kind of stuff.

QFT.

Can an admin or mod please lock this thread?
Lýtlian seo sprǽc. Ætýcan se níðplega.

Less talk! More fight!
Æthelric
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1996
Realm: Jericho
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword; flourentine

Postby Michael » Sun May 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Or we could just stop calling eachother names and go back to talking about preferences for weapon lengths and weights and giving reasons for our choices. That would be fun and wouldnt take any mod interferance.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Forkbeard » Sun May 02, 2010 1:34 pm

* it Phrix, I love ya, man. They are absolutley right, cheaterstick is the wrong tack to take. It's offensive.
That's why we use Quicktube now. A much more agreeable title. They are tubes, no? They are quick, no?
Anyway, I heard a long time ago from a now nameless SCA dude that your ideal sword length is relative to your body size. Your sword, when held in the hand and pointed at the ground, straight against your leg, should barely graze the ground. I have always found this to be true.
I don't know if was just *, or some midevaly type truth. I never cared to look it up. It has always been a good basis for me and worked for starter swords for many people.
For me, being 6'5", a 36" sword is perfect when using this method.
Also, using this method, everyone needs a sword between 28" and 36", like Micheal says.
Dispite differences in ideas about weight, that length range IS the ideal for one handed swords. I have used longer one handers(40 even44") but they are stupid and slow unless your only stabbing. In that case you should just use a Jav. A foil you can throw is cool.
I also agree with Micheal about the cross game thing. I am a huge propontent fof heavy weapons, we all know that. I am also a Bel to SCA crossgamer. I like the feel of heavy tools and I like maintaining my pimphand. It's the paint I use for my portraits.
Some people like watercolors.
Some people like oils.
Museums are full of both.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Caleidah » Sun May 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Forkbeard wrote:I like the feel of heavy tools and I like maintaining my pimphand. It's the paint I use for my portraits.
Some people like oils.
FB

Sigged.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Phrix » Sun May 02, 2010 4:41 pm

I do sincerely Apologize once again really it was offensive and I am very sorry for saying it not because i got flamed but because it wasn't right to say it at all

back on topic

forkbeard wrote:I like the feel of heavy tools and I like maintaining my pimphand. It's the paint I use for my portraits.
Some people like oils.
FB

this is GOLD it really is if he hadn't sig'd it already i would have!

other then that I have heard the same thing about swords

maybe its an old silent rule ? but I made my first sword to barely graze the ground standing straight up with it at my side and its the perfect length for me

Slagar wrote:The simple fact is that a 'static' range fighter will absolutely get munched by a short-sword grind fighter. You just stand there and watch them get inside, you deserve to get mowed down. So you don't let them.

that vid was amazing might be a good thing to try out sometime thanks for that =) your talking about the guy that was from about 1:00 to 1:15? ish in the vid right?

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Slagar » Sun May 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Yeah. Also a good short clip at 0:33, where you see him range out Xiao, and play right at the edge of his range.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Phrix » Sun May 02, 2010 5:34 pm

ya its an amazing clip of somebody useing a long sword

I wouldnt mind learning at all me being short and stout a more aggressive style of fighting is easier for me to learn small so I can get inside and bulky for the power while im in there - im about 5'7" and 230 pounds

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Titan G » Wed May 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Slagar wrote:You need to be just as active when using a long sword, but in very different ways. If I'm fighting somebody who uses a shorter sword than me, and who wants to gets right into my face, then it's my job to not let them.

Footwork, timing, active blocking, and a lot of other things go into being an effective range fighter. The best example I can think of is Sir Kenneth. Watch him when he really goes on a roll. He moves around a lot, baits people into moving into his range, and munches them, all while using 36" swords.

The simple fact is that a 'static' range fighter will absolutely get munched by a short-sword grind fighter. You just stand there and watch them get inside, you deserve to get mowed down. So you don't let them.

Here's video of Kenny going on a nice little bender at WPO '09. Start watching at 00:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dng0hbPLzGA

another comment on "static" fighters, don't be. i use to have the problem of being a vary strong ranged long sword fighter and a boor in close or "no" zone fighter. through training, changing up my weapons to stuff i was more comfortable with, going to a short sword to learn no zone etc etc, i learned to fight at all ranges. then when sparring with some ebf i asked how they countered fighting people in ranges they weren't comfortable with and what did they tell me? don't. never be so out of control of a battle that you **** yourself weapon-wise. if you fight properly your opponent won't come in or back out of any zone your uncomfortable with. more and more i feel it's less the weapon you use and more the fighter using it.newer fighter will always get a boost from certain weapons (flails, ultra lights, min/maxed reds, w/e) but once your good enough it's about you not the weapon. learn to control the fight with your body, your weapons (whatever they may be) and your field presence and you are the better fighter than the guy with the PERFECT sword.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Arrakis » Wed May 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Well said. Range control and footwork should be at the top of every fighter's to-do list for improvement.
Arrakis

Postby Ignatius » Wed May 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Titan G wrote:another comment on "static" fighters, don't be. i use to have the problem of being a vary strong ranged long sword fighter and a boor in close or "no" zone fighter. through training, changing up my weapons to stuff i was more comfortable with, going to a short sword to learn no zone etc etc, i learned to fight at all ranges. then when sparring with some ebf i asked how they countered fighting people in ranges they weren't comfortable with and what did they tell me? don't. never be so out of control of a battle that you **** yourself weapon-wise. if you fight properly your opponent won't come in or back out of any zone your uncomfortable with. more and more i feel it's less the weapon you use and more the fighter using it.newer fighter will always get a boost from certain weapons (flails, ultra lights, min/maxed reds, w/e) but once your good enough it's about you not the weapon. learn to control the fight with your body, your weapons (whatever they may be) and your field presence and you are the better fighter than the guy with the PERFECT sword.

QFT

I saved this for later use!!! I WILL be quoting and or reading parts of this to noobs who are looking for that perfect weapon that will make all their problems go away.
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby The Lost Celt » Fri May 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Titan G wrote:another comment on "static" fighters, don't be. i use to have the problem of being a vary strong ranged long sword fighter and a boor in close or "no" zone fighter. through training, changing up my weapons to stuff i was more comfortable with, going to a short sword to learn no zone etc etc, i learned to fight at all ranges. then when sparring with some ebf i asked how they countered fighting people in ranges they weren't comfortable with and what did they tell me? don't. never be so out of control of a battle that you **** yourself weapon-wise. if you fight properly your opponent won't come in or back out of any zone your uncomfortable with. more and more i feel it's less the weapon you use and more the fighter using it.newer fighter will always get a boost from certain weapons (flails, ultra lights, min/maxed reds, w/e) but once your good enough it's about you not the weapon. learn to control the fight with your body, your weapons (whatever they may be) and your field presence and you are the better fighter than the guy with the PERFECT sword.

You know what, that's perfect...

I realized today the main reason I like fighting glaive is the same reason I fight shortsword and shield, both involve getting inside the reach where they can't get to you, to this day my biggest foil is people with the monkey reach and a good wrap when I'm up close and personal, much less infighting doesn't work so well when you're 3-1 on experienced, or even inexperienced groups, so the glaive is an inverse response in a way to that issue... I got bored of line fighting because I couldn't punch the hole myself, I could augment one once a line was punched but otherwise I had to be more defensive.

I guess the other fallpoint is realizing what you're good at and what your not, and how that applies to the group you're fighting with...
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Next

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training