Javelins

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Javelins

Postby Vrohi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:10 pm

So guys its been a little while since Ive asked a question so heres a new one! How do I use a Javelin well? Thanks in advance for the help!
"For the Honour of the Realm."
"Honor, Valor, Brotherhood"
Vrohi
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: No Affiliation
Favorite Fighting Styles: Javellin, Sword and Board.

Re: Javelins

Postby Slagar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Do you mean throwing or stabbing? As a projectile, you basically throw it like you're playing darts. Same mechanics.

If you're trying to use it as a stabbing weapon, that's difficult enough that a forum thread probably won't be much help to you.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Isk » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Assuming you're using the javelin as an adjunct to your other kit (sword and shield, red, whatever) you use it as an opener or a sniping weapon. If you are a skirmisher on the end then you roll around their line until somebody down the line (rarely the person closest to you) isn't paying attention and nail him in the gut/kidneys/head. Do this quickly or swap the javelin back to your shield hand and do it later in the round because if they press you, you will probably want to ditch the javelin. Also, while you are looking for an opening to throw that jav, the rest of your team is engaging. You're not an archer, they need you on the line.

Some people can use the javelin and shield combination effectively, but it's tough since you have such a limited shot selection. Javelin and sword (stroke and poke) can work well, until the archers find you. Stroke and poke offers a little more range on the stab than straight florentine and gives you the option of a ranged sniper kill, of course then you're fighting single blue, but it limits the shot selection for the jav hand and makes you less dangerous if they push in hard. If you go stroke and poke I would personally make sure the second sword is short enough to work at medium and very close ranges.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Satanaka » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 am

aim, throw, hit (practice over and over)... Make sure to be hitting with the correct end... :devil:
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Horus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:03 pm

When you through the javelin you are supposed to through it like a football, but I can't throw a football for crap and I can throw a javelin just fine... Basically throw as you would anything else but don't try to put any wrist on it as you would a baseball because thats how you end up throwing it right into the dirt.

If you want good target stand on the left side of your line as most everyone is righty and you will be able to hit their bodies then. Aim for chest if its open because that is the easiest to hit and will kill score you a free kill. Versus a shieldmen who is in front of you, you will want to either hit them in the head or the leg. The headshot really only works on people who aren't paying attention so if you actually want to get anything aim for just above a persons left knee and a little to your right if they are paying attention. This ensures its above any greaves which would likely make a person not feel the javelin and if the person moves its a lot harder to move your upper leg out of the way that your lower leg. I suggested aiming to the outside because most people don't crunch up when a jav is thrown at them but try to move there legs so it goes through. I think this may be because putting your legs together makes it harder to balance and reset.

Thats my experience anyway. Its also better to learn to throw your jav before your lines engage because otherwise most fights will be over by the time your throw your javelin.

And for the love of humanity please watch your throw distance. It is extremely painful to get hit in the face with a thrown javelin from a range that the person could have stabbed you with it.

Hope that helps. :)
Horus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2007
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Amyr

Postby Prawn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFR5kLtoYY

your life will never be the same.

Though some things don't apply because of the weight differences between a bel Jav and a real jav the basic technique is the same.
Prawn
Underling
Underling

Realm: Andor

Postby Thorondor » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Prawn wrote: the basic technique is the same.

Not really. Those jav throwers are going for distance. They shouldn't hit someone although I've seen videos of them impaling people not paying attention...

Slagar has it right, throw it like you're playing darts. You are going for accuracy here. You want to hit that person 15' away in the head/kidneys/etc. You're not hoping to hit someone 50' away.

PS: holy thread necro :)
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training