Strap shield question

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Strap shield question

Postby Mikhail » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey friends.

So I'm usually a Dag guy, but I went to Wolfpack opener the other week and I saw a bunch of dudes with round strap shields with super-low straps on them. What's the advantage to having the straps so low on the shield? I'm likely gonna build a round strap sometime soon, so I'm shopping for ideas. Cheers.

-Mikhail
Also known as Monk.
Mikhail
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Passive aggression

Re: Strap shield question

Postby Cyric » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Its an amtgard style strapping. Better shoulder protection, although at the expense of more leg shots. You have to weapon block and use footwork to protect your legs more.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Slagar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 am

I thread with some good info for you. Best of luck.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33897
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Beck » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 pm

I got back from my first event and realized fighting with plywood teardrop sucked when doing it for hours. So I made a round shield, round shields and teardrops seem to be the biggest promoted shields in Bel. In dag it's always seemed like towers to me, maybe it's because GtG, Rome and the templar guys all use 'em.
Anyway, it gives you shoulder-chopping -stopping- power while getting to use a smaller shield, cutting off a small amount of weight and also promoting footwork. I made one because my core was to0 small and it was a pre made circle, so I was like hmmm oh yeah lower straps, I love mine. Biggest problem is mine will tip over with a lot of the weight being up to opposed to centered, but I keep it pretty tabled when I fight.
Noik wrote:And Beck that was dumb.

Forkbeard wrote:This Beck kid is a moron.
FB
Beck
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 25 May 2008
Realm: Northlands
Unit: ABF
Favorite Fighting Styles: SnB, Two Stick, Single

Postby Dane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:52 pm

In dag it's always seemed like towers to me, maybe it's because GtG, Rome and the templar guys all use 'em.

It's because they're not very good.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby bo1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:51 pm

there is a matter of fighting style as well in dag, i have seen more static lines and bridge type situations than in bel. large shields tend to do ok when you are just standing there.

Also you can get too low with your straps, usually if the top of the strap bolt is below the centerline of the shield you have gone too far, or are named peter, lol.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Slagar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 pm

bo1 wrote:you have gone too far, or are named peter.

Redundant. :P

And yeah, the Dag 'tower and tree trunk fighters' suck. Don't be like them. We'll laugh at you.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby varadin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:03 am

bo1 wrote:there is a matter of fighting style as well in dag, i have seen more static lines and bridge type situations than in bel. large shields tend to do ok when you are just standing there.

Also you can get too low with your straps, usually if the top of the strap bolt is below the centerline of the shield you have gone too far, or are named peter, lol.

Magnus of Taurendor speard some light on this for me. Its about the geography. You look at where the aratari fight and they have a very small field for a CRAP ton of people. Thus they arent able to have footwork and flanking as much. Thus tanking up has worked better in such a small area. This was even true at Rag in spring valley where we had almost no room to move. While on the average field elsewhere we have a ton of area to move and those big tower shields dont work as well. Its a weird thing to think about but it makes sense. If your feet are stuck in the same spot fighting with a round isn't going to do too well.

It will be interesting to see what happens at coopers this year. The aratari will either be forced to adapt to a quicker style or cheat it up. I think we know which will happen
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Mikhail » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:46 pm

It's true. Eryndor's fighting style is a lot more skirmishy, because they've got bigger fields for less people. Thanks for the tips, fellas... now I just need to convince myself I can spend more money on gear this month.
Also known as Monk.
Mikhail
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Passive aggression

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training