Motivation

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Motivation

Postby Vandey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Alright its me again. Well our belegarth group is still new. Alot of our members can still remember the days of noob sticks and only having single blues Running around the feild in whatever we were wearing that day. Well we have grown abit and now have sheilds and spears and bows and now we have garb and we try to enforce it. Because of this we lost a few members who dont want to do this stuff. Also new members are showing up less and less. Are there any ways to make our group look better so that they will be more intrested to show up? like some senario battles or such? any help would be great because i would like our group to grow and have more variety cause you can only get better if the people you fight get better too.
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 Dec 2008
Realm: Thorion Raiders
Unit: Rangers Of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Florentine, Archery

Re: Motivation

Postby Embara Cayosin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

a quick tip. don't be a garb Nazi. encourage the use of garb but don't make a point of it being a requirement for regular practices. but when you start hosting events thats when you fly your Nazi flag.(at the event, not at practices)
In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Postby Slagar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Dude, asking the boards how to make your group more fun might give you ideas, but it's kinda to the side. Ask your group the same questions. Call up the guys who are starting to lag, and ask 'em why. See what they want to be doing. If your guys feel like what you're doing is for them, is something they are a part of, then they'll be more likely to stay interested.

One suggestion I can offer, since you asked, is to hang out after pracitces, grab some food or whatever. If the guys at practice are your friends in real life too, it makes the group more tight-knit, keeps 'em together.

You are going to lose people, though. I once heard a quote I liked, "99% of all foam-fighters are retired". Our game, for better or worse, experiences a lot of turnover. While it's important to try and keep the members you've got, almost nobody stays in this game forever. Recruitment is a must, to replace the members that you will lose over the months and years.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Best tips I can come up with are to hold practice in a public place and to find at least three people that show up, on time, religiously.

If fighter practice is at 2:00 and a potential member shows up and doesn't see anybody, he will leave. He won't wait until 2:30 when most people straggle in and he won't call to see where everybody is at.

The reason three people is a magic number is because life happens. Life can slap one of them and the other two still have somebody to duel instead of standing around by themselves.

... and if practice is held at somebody's house, the homeowner is the one most likely to get slapped by life.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Sir_Mel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 am

Embara Cayosin wrote:a quick tip. don't be a garb Nazi. encourage the use of garb but don't make a point of it being a requirement for regular practices. but when you start hosting events thats when you fly your Nazi flag.(at the event, not at practices)

And ignore this. Wearing good garb consistently as a group while making you feel somewhat outta place, will make you appear as if you are serious enough about what you're doing that you don't mind that out-of-placeness. Far better than just a bunch of silly kids hittin each other with funny lookin sticks.

Also, you should definitely inform the couple of guys who do this, wearing an open button up shirt does not equal garb.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:41 am

Squire Mel wrote:wearing an open button up shirt does not equal garb.

Fact, some of your guys looked good, others looked like they were putting effort towards looking bad.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Titan G » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Embara Cayosin wrote:a quick tip. don't be a garb Nazi. encourage the use of garb but don't make a point of it being a requirement for regular practices. but when you start hosting events thats when you fly your Nazi flag.(at the event, not at practices)

Kid is new and dur d has gotten lax as **** atm on garb cause we've had several new recruits lately and chavez moved to dur d. garb is a must one should always wear it if the realm requires it. i personally hate wearing garb to practice as i think it's retarded cause you don't wear a game uniform to practice but if the realm has rules you wear it and like mel said it WILL bring more recruits in than it chases off. the question is are you more worried about recruiting new people or chasing off your friends that you have been doing it with? garb will get strangers to come and look at you and some of them will want to try
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Embara Cayosin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Titan G wrote:

Kid is new and dur d has gotten lax as **** atm on garb cause we've had several new recruits lately and chavez moved to dur d. garb is a must one should always wear it if the realm requires it. i personally hate wearing garb to practice as i think it's retarded cause you don't wear a game uniform to practice but if the realm has rules you wear it and like mel said it WILL bring more recruits in than it chases off. the question is are you more worried about recruiting new people or chasing off your friends that you have been doing it with? garb will get strangers to come and look at you and some of them will want to try

sorry if i made an out of place statement and * some people off
In Draconic

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Titan G » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:56 pm

no one cares, is the interwebz, your post was just off a bit as far as advice goes. generally everyone with a bit of expierence knows your not a garb nazi to new people. but eventually almost all realms with a few key exceptions, make you put on garb after you've been their awhile. ive always like jimmy's approach of "garb is a uniform for the sport i play". atm your new to dur d and we haven't been enforcing garb rules as stringently as when i started. but tbh when your a new realm you do need a garb nazi of some sort so that at least when you go to an event your realm looks like their trying.
ABF
Smile! It's Graavish!
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Embara Cayosin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:21 pm

well im still learning and i think my garb has come together nice. I'm still making a few pieces but they should be ready by beltaine
In Draconic

Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Titan G » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:26 pm

considering you've only been at dur d for collectively like 2 months your garbs great.
ABF
Smile! It's Graavish!
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Vandey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:
Squire Mel wrote:wearing an open button up shirt does not equal garb.

Fact, some of your guys looked good, others looked like they were putting effort towards looking bad.

Im one of the good looking ones. and mel are you talking about nipples?? wears pants and a open button up shirt to show off his weak pale as all hell chest? cause if so we know.. we try to be lax on garb for the first few weeks of fighting but then we enforce it for every friday practice but not on our unformal tuesdays. And as for recruitment rate and what the group wants. The group wants noob sticks and no garb... except for the few good ones we show up every practice and fight. Our reqruitment rate is slow because we really only get new members from the high school and pickings are slim..
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Graavish: I wear garb to practices because a) I don't want to wreck my real clothes, b) I make stuff that's way comfy to fight in, and c) that way, I don't get to an event, put on my garb, go to throw my Super Awesome Lizard Moon Spin Reverse Cross and realize that my sweet tunic and haks snag my elbow and trip me so I end up landing on my teeth or something.

Plus, I look fly as hell.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 am

Arrakis wrote:Plus, I look fly as hell.

This is the best argument for garb.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Postby Vandey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Ok so it seems like one of our issues might be repititon we seem to do alot of just teams, chaos and king battles. Anyone else know a good scenario battle thats fun to fight but still helps you work on your skills? And the issue i have is the lack of weapons variety.. Because we only have a few foamsmiths and they dont wanna use up all there money to make weapons we dont have at practice. Like flails god i suck against flails...
Rangers of the Wolf
Vandey
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Phrix » Sat May 01, 2010 6:04 am

Vandey wrote:Ok so it seems like one of our issues might be repititon we seem to do alot of just teams, chaos and king battles. Anyone else know a good scenario battle thats fun to fight but still helps you work on your skills? And the issue i have is the lack of weapons variety.. Because we only have a few foamsmiths and they dont wanna use up all there money to make weapons we dont have at practice. Like flails god i suck against flails...

idk eh here we do like .. pinkys vs monsters or .. unit battles or pick which you like more cheese or crackers.. lol my favorite is 1! 2! 3! CUTTHROAT! and you get to backstab all your team mates lol mind you CT is at random lol

we did goblin battles once in "fun time with catibus" lol no matter where you got hit you died (limbed or other wise) and you could only use like 1 rock or a single blue .. or JUST a javelin that was pretty fun just some ideas

edit - i dont think you could use reds when we did that goblin battle .. honestly i don't remember but it sounds right
Remy the Wroth wrote:Let me put it this way. You are WWII-era Poland: running around on horses waving your lil' swords around and getting drunk. We are WWII-era Germany: blitzkrieging thru your country with **** Panzer tanks.

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Rath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B

Postby The Lost Celt » Sat May 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Over here we tend to do a lot of stand and deliver/red rover battles where if someone keeps losing they get to choose a player from the other team and set the scales accordingly, right now it's working pretty well because there's a good amount of vets on the field willing to work with people.

I was never a garb nazi, however I do think if you've been in this sport for awhile it's kinda best to set an example, half the time I consider my armor garb for practices ;) The way I tell them at practices isn't condescending, basically I tell them if you look like something people get the picture, instead of a bunch of goofy guys hitting each other with sticks, and it's much cheaper to ruin a good pair of plaid pyjama pants than a 20+ dollar pair of jeans (I swear I picked celtic persona to avoid sewing pants, T tunics are EASY)
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby otherial » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 am

A fun game involves using a rock as an identifier. spilt the group into 3-5 teams of 2-4 depending on realm size. set a rock in the middle with each team on the outside of the field. At "LAY ON" they run in and grab the rock. the team with the rock is "IT" and all the other teams are against the one with the rock until one team is left holding the rock. The rock can break shields and armor in this games case and can injure limbs/body giving people some incentive to come off of it.

Another fun game is pretty much watered down football using a rock as the ball. no real rules aside from get the rock to the goal. The opposing team can either kill the opposing team or kill the one with the rock and take it to their respective goal.

These are some fun games that can break up the normal free for all/ teams battles at practice.
otherial
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2005
Realm: None yet.
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Hander all the way.

Postby Teej » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Regarding the garb, never require it unless it's for local events -- and even then, you should be a little lax if you're a new group.

Learn from my mistake... The day I started a 'garb or go home' policy (back in my EARLY days) my realm hit a HUGE slump. It took time to coax people back.

To keep numbers... recruit! The best time to recruit is when you don't feel like you need to; this is because new members show up to a field full of challenging opponents. If you recruit during a slump, it's much harder to retain numbers as people expect to fight in a real-life Braveheart situation and find themselves disappointed by coming to a slumped realm. This preventive maintenance is essential.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Satanaka » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm

A lot of the time- your attendance will be slow during the summer- and with your group being mostly highschool age- this will hit your group. Many HS & College groups lose a lot of people during the summer.
(work, vacation, summer stuff, etc.)

Changing up battles is good and will keep it interesting- BUT- don't just change after every 3rd battlee if everyone is having fun. There are a lot of battles you can do. We have a very good amount of types.

Garb is good. I like the way a few realms do- give newbies a "grace" period say- like 4 weeks and then make it where if you don't have garb- you can only fight with a few select weapons & styles.

As stated above- everyone in Gard is a good thing. It will attract people.

Are you in a location that gets a lot of exposure to people?
Keep the fighting consistant- same bat channel, same bat time...

All this has been mentioned above and it's good advice.

Also- don't forget the advice to talk with your people as well as the ones that don't come out any more or don't show up as often.

Best of luck
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training