Martial Arts: Which ones hurt, which ones help?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Martial Arts: Which ones hurt, which ones help?

Postby Teej » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:33 pm

So I've been heavily considering cross-training lately. Bel/Dag is my main; however, I've been looking into local Amt and SCA. My newest direction is weapon-based martial arts. I was curious if anyone active in this section have experimented with various martial arts and applying them to foam-combat.

I looked at Kendo, but don't see the use with foam-combat; I've heard kali and escrima are a different story.

Any practitioners around?
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: Martial Arts: Which ones hurt, which ones help?

Postby Magpie Saegar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:06 am

Someone with more experience should chime in (and I'm posting so that I notice their answer).

IMO: I've never trained with weapons in a martial art outside of Belegarth, but I do have to recommend Capoeira anyway. Not that you would actually do it with a foam sword in your hand, but the conditioning and body control that it gives you are very intense, and will help you a lot with Bel combat. Then again, most martial arts have a decent amount of conditioning. And you specifically mentioned weapons.

So I'll step back and wait for the better answer.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Kensman Bam » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 am

Well Teej since I know you, and I am gonna say that Capoeira is probably not the style for you. For weapons based Martial Arts, I would suggest a few things:

1. Eskrima/Kali - you use a lot of the same motions in single stick combat, and learn a little 2 weapon fighting as well.
You might also look up something like Dog Brother Martial Arts out of Califorinia. Now, as a disclaimer, these guys are crazy, but I like their style.

2. Aikdo - Balance, falling, and most techniques where designed to use with a sword.
Look up some of the old Youtube videos of Steven Seagul back in his day...man he is a bad *!

3. Hapkido - This is a Korean Martial Art that encompasses Judo, TDK, Aikdo, and Ju Jitsu. Lots of weapons later on but it will take a while to get there.

4. TDK - I love that they like to fight, and they do some weapons, but I hate that this has become a point based sport more so than a martial art.

5. Karate - It all depends on the school, but if you go in and there are 150 different colored belts on the wall..turn around and walk out.
Kensman in House Haldane
Chieftain of the Cu Sith
Proud member of House Haldane
Realm Leader of The SouthernMarches
http://www.cusithwarband.com
Kensman Bam
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 03 Jul 2005
Realm: Kenevara
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Glaive/Spear
Red
Unarmed

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 am

For spear fighting, nothing beats Sojutsu. It's the japanese martial art based on the spear. There's some stuff you can discard from it like slices, swings and draw cuts, but the footwork and body mechanics are just gold.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Samhain Crawford » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Tai Chi might be too soft a martial art for what you're looking for, and finding someone to teach the sword aspect specifically is nigh-impossible, but it teaches balance beautifully, a style of movement that can be very effective for us, and power generation from the core, all right from the very basics.

Another group that I encountered online, though not inperson because they have no chapters near me, is ARMA :Association of Rennaissance Martial Arts. It's a blend of fencers, historians and martial artists recreating historical European combat through analysis of source materials, (of which there are a surprising number) high contact sparring and test cutting with real blades. Their stuff seems real good to me if you just eliminate head-based techniques. They may look down on what we do (there are long rants against SCA, I assume we'd be inline for some of the same objections) but I think there is still some very high level stuff going on there that could benefit Bel fighters if approached right.

Hope you find what you're looking for, and let us know what you do find (positive or negative).
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby Phlebas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:32 pm

I do kali/escrima. The plus sides are immediate weapon training- even their empty-hands stuff is weapon based, and it all feeds together. Strongest benefits are for ambidextrous coordination- if you're interested in two weapon fighting, it's hard to beat. Downside is the range is closer than Belegarth, and a lot of the material is for phase 2 and 3 of a combat exchage- disarms and finishes after the initial hit, which is not so useful. Ray Dionaldo is based in Florida, if he's where you are it'd definitely be worth checking out. Guy is extremely impressive with any weapon.

Aikido has a lot of useful material for two-handed and some pole stuff, but most dojos you'd only see it once a month or so, so it's hard to get the grasp on it you'd want in any kind of reasonable time frame.

Saber sport fencing can teach some very strong distance and tactical decision-making. if you're put in a beginner foil class, though, you're likely to be disheartened, because foil is sort of... abstract.
Phlebas
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2010
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: double sword

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:30 pm

*, I am at work right now, but aas a MA practicioner of over 20+ years, I have some input here that some of you may find applicable. I will post later on this thread.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Mint » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:59 pm

Samhain Crawford wrote:Tai Chi might be too soft a martial art for what you're looking for, and finding someone to teach the sword aspect specifically is nigh-impossible, but it teaches balance beautifully, a style of movement that can be very effective for us, and power generation from the core, all right from the very basics.

I've been studying Tai Chi for about 6 months or so, and it's helped my fighting immensely. It really helps you think about the physics behind fighting as well.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Teej » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Wow I have a lot to reply to, lol. To keep it simple:

Kali/Escrima: Gonna check out that Ray Dionaldo guy, a lot of stick-fighting arts in my area are garage-ran. Worries me a bit about the quality of training I'd get, but at the same time - I could also get paired with a good teacher and get some GREAT one on one training.

Aikido: The only legit dojo practicing traditional martial arts in my area on the outskirts of Orlando. You can almost find a BJJ or Muay Thai place around every corner. They also offer Kendo and Iaido... weapon MAs, but single 2h weapons. Nothing I'd find benefit me locally.

Hapkido: Heavily researched this a while back, none in the area.

TKD: Practiced for 11 years, was my master's right-hand student, lol. He was training me on sword between classes but before I got anywhere I shipped off to bootcamp.

Karate: In the area.... all crap. (contracts, camo belts, daycares)

Tai Chi: Got some in the area, going to check them out.

Capoeira: Could not see myself doing it in a million years, but it sounds like a hell of a workout. I've always seen it as a workout more than a sport though... I'd probably step back, wait for someone to wear themselves out doing all their fancy stuff. I understand the conditioning, balance, and flexibility benefits though.

In short, I was looking for something with near-immediate hands on weapon training; great suggestions though. Got some good info that I can put into my research.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby GvK » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Western martial arts, especially longsword (German and/or Italian focused), also includes pole ax, messer, knife, etc. Lots of fun and readily translatable.
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 4-1984
Realm: Dagorhir Aratari
Unit: Vardrotta
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed sword (longsword)
Glaive
Archery

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Ok, so you've studied MA for a while, that's awesome. From TKD you've learned very well how to move, etc. At this point you ~need~ something like Escrima...don't do Kali, do Escrima. Fina a Guru (yes that's what escrima masters are called) and check it out. See if they do any kind of sparring (read, padded weapon combat) and ask if you could give it a try. If you are better than them before you start taking classes, don't bother. If they whoop up on you, then you are in good shape. Stick with that guy. You will learn a ton of stuff that won't really be applicable to Bel fighting, but you'll learn some good stuff that will. Tai Chi will help you become a smoother, more graceful fighter. It will also give you some good methods and mental tricks for developing speed and power.

Disclaimer-I am 38, I have been a practicioner of MA for over 20 years. This is the one subject I know the most about. I am Belted in American Kenpo as well as having studied some Shaolin weapons forms, a great deal of Escrima, and a smattering of other stuff.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby The Great Gigsby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:02 pm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet.

Wing Chun has a weapons component although traditionally, you have to demonstrate an understanding of empty hand technique before you get to pick up weapons. If you've practiced any sort of martial art before, the empty hand stuff is not too hard to grasp. Like any martial art, it'll help with footwork.

Drills with the Butterfly Knives are remarkably similar to Escrima drills (from what I've seen). The pole fighting is really where Wing Chun shines, IMO.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Yuri » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Cross training is wonderful, but since no one has mentioned the possible downsides yet I will. Remember that many martial arts train you for strikes that are not legal in Bel, most notably head shots. To this day it is difficult for me to use a red well because I spent many years learning Bokken in Aikido and its hard to break the muscle memory.

Another similar problem is rules confusion. The rules of sparing in MMA vs Ampt rules vs Bel can either lead you to doing a lot of illegal stuff or cause you to limit your options, like missing grapple opportunities because you've been doing Ampt to much or throwing a knee at someone cause you've been doing a lot of MMA.

I'm not saying don't cross train, its one of the best ways to advance, just be conscious of side effects. If you keep the differences in mind and refresh yourself on the rules difference before you take the field each time you should be okay.
Squire to Sir Sorcia
Chancellor of Andor
Yuri
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Dec 2006
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword & board

Postby Isk » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:53 am

Teej, just wanted to pass along something else we tried tonight. A local instructor of Haidong Gumdo invited our whole realm over for a free class and we had a great time. Honestly, I don't know how much of the actual sword technique would translate well to bel (you'd telegraph like crazy if you always did it the way they show you), but the conditioning and the footwork could be interesting and useful. For straight weapons stuff that augments bel fighting, escrima and kali still seem like your best options, but Haidong Gumdo starts you right off with a sword in hand and has some interesting stuff to offer.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training