Vid critique

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Vid critique

Postby Osric/Mageta » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Rayzen wrote:Honnestly, i cannot understand why you over react like that. Yes I don't have a good english, but i see nowhere a post (here, on dagorhir, on facebook or anywhere) where i said : I'm the best and what we do is the best style on the world.
I really know there's a cultural differences between country's and mindsets and i never juge it. To me, the only one rules is to have fun and enjoying what we do.

I'm actually really interested to share with different people coming from different country, cause yes, one day i hope i can come in Usa to try one of your battles games. With your rules, yours stuffs, juste try something new to improve my vision, my technics and of course, my fun.

If you are angry because I posted on your thread, i truely appologize because i don't think it's not agree with the subject.

So if i'm not welcome here, i will not try to speak with belegarth anymore... I never wanted to wound anybody or tell that the Riddle style is the best.

You are totally welcome here. I think he was trying to compare the amount of force we each use in our respective battle games. Not very tastefully I might add. What works in your game is what works in your game, but it might not apply to ours and vice verse. When there is a sufficient force requirement included it adds many more factors to the way you move and fight. You need to have adequate power generation for your shots and proper alignment for blocks for instance. I don't think anybody here is trying to say that one game is better than the other. They are just speaking of the differences between the two.
Western Uruk-Hai WAAAGH
Ravager
Team Pirate Ninja (since 2010)
Boris took me for a ride at CW14.
Osric/Mageta
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: IN THE BUFF

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 pm

:3
Last edited by Remdawg Killionaire on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Arrakis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Remy the Wroth wrote:I'm not know for tact. The Wroth for a reason. Doesn't help that I was raised by militant hardasses, enjoy working with facist french chefs and generally don't believe in sugar-coating or beating around the bush.
Tho as stated, I could work on my delivery.
Anyway, here's a link to a fairly shoddy camera. I appreciate Tax filming this, it's too bad his camera was less than stellar. Not to sound ingrateful.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2732038705117&set=t.830170044&type=3&theater
Me and gustave. I'm using flo and then * sword.
He beats me a lot in S&B and I'm pretty sure we go 50:50 in my favor after that. Gustav is an amazing fighter, he just hates me when I pick up a * sword. They don't call it that without a reason amirite?
Advice is appreciated.

Content Unavailable.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Last edited by Remdawg Killionaire on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Last edited by Remdawg Killionaire on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Rayzen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:00 pm

I don't want to make you angry so i'll just answers about what you are asking, advices.

I think that you know your style of fighting, to improve, let's try something different, try it seriously i'm sure that will be great for you.

So the two things i have to say :

1) Instead of what you say, your weapons seems to be lighter than i was thinking in first time. You maybe hit by strengh, but you are basically fighting also with the wrist. We have the same wrap attack as you, so i assume that those weapons are not so heavier.
So there something that i haven't seen in this vids, when you attack, you always go straight ahead, I maybe wrong but i think you never try to pretend that you go in a line to switch at the last moment. (i don't know the word in english, i think its to feign but not sure).

2) The distance between the 2 fighters.
As Mark tought me, in sword fighting, you have 3 distances.
1) time of the hand (just have to move the hand to hit, closest range)
2) time of the body (so you move your chest and hand)
3) time of the foot (the biggest distance, you have to move all your body to hit your opponent)
You guys fight with smaller weapon, so you are a close combat fighters.
My advice is basically very simple, but i think that can give you something's new to try, just start your fight in the 3) distance. To me, you maybe begin your fight too close, yes, you have smaller weapon, yes you are closer combat fighters, but I really think if you feign and strike from a far distance when you opponent come to get in the 1 distance, you will develop another tricks to add to what you already do.
Rayzen
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 22 Jul 2004
Favorite Fighting Styles: Riddle of Steel

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Dude, I have nothing more to say to you; you are blocked which will save me a lot of stress not to mention emotional investment.. It's just not working out for me. I'm sorry. You're just not what I'm looking for. It's not you, it's me. We're just too different, and I need my space You should just remember the good times we had and move on with your life. We'll always have Paris.

P.S. It's been tossed around that to be truly excellent at something you have to have put in at least 10000 hours of practice, when discussing technique and development. This applies to all manner of things and so I'm going to spend a lot more of my time putting in hours with my pell and via cross-gaming. I plan on stepping out of my comfort zone even further in the hopes to balance a lot of the problems I exhibit, breaking bad habits and experimenting with establishing better, new ones. Spend less time trollin' the boards and getting in internet fights with random people but rather more time working on myself. So yeah, thanks for the support and advice everybody, check ya later.
Last edited by Remdawg Killionaire on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 am

Hey, this is a little late I know, but I just noticed this comment when reading through the thread:

Remy the Wroth wrote:Let me put like Postal said; You are WWII-era Poland: running around on horses waving your lil' swords around and getting drunk. We are WWII-era Germany: blitzkrieg-ing thru your country with **** Panzer tanks.

Remy, this is a really offensive thing to say to someone from a country that was actually invaded by Germany with Panzer tanks. It's not funny and it makes all of us look like *. Like, it's so not okay I don't even know how to explain how not okay this is. I appreciate your advice on the thread I posted, but, seriously, if I were a mod I would have probated you for this.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 pm

:l
Uh-huh.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby p_quick » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:19 pm

are you in this vid remy?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Ragefire » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 am

He's the dude with the Red Sword in High Guard.
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:59 pm

That's me.
First time using that shield. Weird. Also first time since CW 10-man I've gone righty S&B.
Guard drifts too high. Cross a lot, albeit short crosses. Vids of us practicing before that is me trying out a pseudo-SCA high guard.
Vom Tag, or The Roof is a fun way to fight red, tho I'm usually using The Plow. Trying to fight right foot-forward, left-hand on pommel, sword-tip pointed at their face but I've been using the Plow guard so long....
*Years and years ago, Tiji is in Bend, stops by our midweek practice. It's Dyse & Tiji vs Me & Peten. After a battle where I'm fairly certain Tiji has broken my hand, I overhear them talking*
Tiji: Who's the guy with the red sword?
Dyse: That's Remy.
Tiji: He's pretty good.
Dyse: No. He's really not.
lolololol
Anyway I think I'm going to stop worrying about where my guard is, what shots I'm throwing and all the really technical stuff. I am instead going to focus on my balance, my flow and most important RELAXING when I'm at events. I choke and never seem to make a good showing.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Dane » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Anyway I think I'm going to stop worrying about where my guard is, what shots I'm throwing and all the really technical stuff. I am instead going to focus on my balance, my flow and most important RELAXING when I'm at events. I choke and never seem to make a good showing.

You do the first part at practice, you do the second part at events. Even serene cats like Bhakdar are constantly evaluating their guards, movement, and shot selection. That's just part of good fighting.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:48 am

Point taken!

I've been playing around single sword with an Amt vet. I'm super lucky because he has impeccable technique, he's super fast and despite residing in Blackspire (lol) hits hard every time.

I'm always hand-matching, but after watching Count Gemini of the SCA talk about fighting lefties southpaw, I'm curious as to your thoughts on this.

It makes sense to me on some level; most people might not realize the inherant change that happens when you are fighting against left-handed fighters. Then when a right-handed fighter is armed and has to fight a lefty southpaw **** gets real confusing real fast.

Stick with mirroring the whole fight vs a righty as a southpaw? Or switch it up?

Some points I'm working out;

* Southpaw vs southpaw. Fighting predominately righty for 6 years, I can understand how a match up of LvL could end up like RvR, just inverted.

*Hand-matching allows for better options overall, and I'm totes comfy this way, I'm just trying to open up optional tactics as I progress skill-wise.

*LvL is a rare match up at best. Unless you are lucky with your ratio of natural southpaws residing within your realm. Also, as mentioned being a predominately RvR fighter for so long, you might have a better understanding of how a fight will end up if you are fighting LvL.

What I figure is that when fighting a proficient southpaw, start off the same, LvL. Versus a righty, hand-match the whole fight, switching hands to mirror as the fight progresses.

Apologies if this is less than coherent, I have a penchant for rambling lol

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Dane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:27 am

Hand matching simplifies the fight. It limits the shots both you and your opponent can intelligently use, and it's an effective tool to keep you from getting tagged by an inferior opponent. If you hand match to your offhand against someone who is a better single sword fighter than you, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. That is, if I come up against Peter in a tournament, and he's using his right, I'm not going to match him with my left, but if we're sparring, and he's favoring his right, I'll use my left. If you're fighting to improve, hand matching is a great way to do that. If you're fighting to win and you either don't know your opponent's ability or you know that he's better than you, use your better hand.

I see the psychology of fighting left v. left. It's not something I'd use unless I knew for certain that my opponent was very weak in that arrangement, simply because of all the chaos involved in a cross-handed fight.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 am

That's kind of what I figured after texting my boy about this.
Now I just have to figure out if I'm a stronger righty or lefty.
Because I get stupid sloppy with my right but I'm a lot faster/stronger and while I am clumsier and have less inherant power in my left my form is a lot better and I don't just spam the same two or three moves.
Thanks for the advice, helpful as always. Food for thought.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Previous

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training