Fighting asa unit

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Fighting asa unit

Postby Halbrust » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:02 pm

I suck at it!

I have a small unit, and they generally look to me as the "leader". I can give orders fine, but I generally suck at fighting within a unit.

I'm a decent fighter. I should never be the best on the field, but can hold my own against all but the super-elite. But I am a kamikaze pilot not a squadron leader. I'm a goblin grenade. There was a reason Hulk Smash wasn't in a group like the Fantastic Four!

What do you suggest?
Should I put a unit mate in charge and then they can use me as they see fit?
Should I give orders and then charge into my blaze of glory?
Should I try really hard to fight as a cohesive unit even though it doesn't work for me?

-Halbrust of the Fenrir's Kin
Halbrust
Underling
Underling

Realm: Aggelgorod
Unit: Mercenary

Re: Fighting asa unit

Postby Todo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:44 pm

If you want to fight in a unit, don't kamikaze. That's about as counter productive as possible.

Fighting well as a unit isn't just giving or following orders, it's about moving together and recognizing a goal you can achieve through teamwork.

That's really the basic concept, you'll pick up the rest as you go.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Look into History, Warfare and Tactics section. Lots of tips for you.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Gamera » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:08 am

I am in a similar boat. I am more comfortable going solo or someone else giving the orders. But I've learned in our team games, someone has to step up to the plate and act as CIC, especially when you start to have more than 3 members.

You may be good individually, but without some sort of unifying element/some direction what all your fighting might gets transformed into diffuse aggression which may stumble onto victory if they are lucky or if your fighters are just better than their opponents. You're way more vulnerable to flanks, aggro, and other tactical maneuvers that exploit the tunnel vision that occurs when people are left to their own devices.

Your unit looks to you for guidance for a reason, You probably are familiar with what a given fighter does and ways to exploit them, or at least how much force you must allocate to bring something down. You want to avoid situations where a big chunk of your line breaks off to intercept a flanker when one or two would have sufficed. You've also probably learned what are bad situations to be in, ways to avoid them, or ways to get out of them. Because of this, you are the one qualified to yell out "Press!" when you can swarm a polearm/archer or "Pull Back!" "Break Through Left!" when you see a pincer forming.

It's not easy when all you are used to being responsible for only yourself and want to be on the front line, but what you are cultivating is something potentially more valuable than you alone as a fighter.

A big benefit to a clear command structure is that it provides a scaffolding for your fighters to develop and build up their roles/coordination. With enough experience, they will instinctively know what to do and coordinate maneuvers without a single word needing to be said.
Gamera
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 2009
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:04 am

Thing is, as a small unit you aren't really going to push a shield wall or that type of thing. Work on fighting as individuals, while maintaining contact with your other unit mates. Run around a lot and set up wolf pack tactics on stragglers. When you see a unit mate in a battle, move in to flank their enemy. That type of stuff. Then it takes less ordering and more field awareness.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Gambit Redband » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 am

I remember a couple Armageddons ago Madog had us hitting larger groups on a slide, but never stopping to engage. A smaller unit has advantages on a field of larger units; you are more mobile. Play to your strengths.

As was said earlier, a small unit cannot push a shield wall. You will be quickly flanked and killed. Stay tight and hunt larger groups who will mostly ignore you at first. Hit them on a tangent, with intent to move past. Orbit them in this manner, and they will become annoyed. Annoyed fighters will rush out at you; swarm and kill them. Repeat. Have fun!
Uruk Hai Ravager
Gambit Redband
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2007
Realm: Gilead
Unit: Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B, Spear, Flo

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training