2 class 1 weapons or 1 class 2?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

2 class 1 weapons or 1 class 2?

Postby Junon Salk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:11 pm

want to know your personal opinion and why you would pick one over the other. I am thinking just a class 2 would be cheaper and faster to make but 2 class 1 would maybe be faster in combat. A lot of people have shields so the class 2 would be helpful there. PLEASE HELP!
Killing is what I do, it's what I'm good at.
Junon Salk
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Re: 2 class 1 weapons or 1 class 2?

Postby Samhain Crawford » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm

The easiest answer is to make both and try them both out. See for yourself, after experience, which you like better. A longer, more complex answer, is that it depends a lot on you personally which you may find better. Are you ambidextrious, fast, and aggressive? Or are you 6'6" and built like a brick? In either style, speed, footwork, and aggression are imperative, but the way you go about it can be (should be) vastly different. Sorry to answer your question with a string of questions, but there is no "right" answer. I, personally, believe in maximizing advantages.
Final point: if you doubt your control over your weapon at all, red weapons can be very dangerous for your sparring partners. Even if you have no doubts about your control, as you learn make sure that you are not hitting people in the head. When using red, I put it away if I hit 3 heads in a day.
Good luck.
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby Junon Salk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. I know my strength and weakness in every weapon combination, I am just asking for personal opinions. :)
Killing is what I do, it's what I'm good at.
Junon Salk
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Thorondor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Personally, I say go with a bow & arrows. But that's not one of the choices. Either way you're going to be support. If you're going to be moving a lot, go with 2 class 1s...if you're going to be stationary go with a class 2...
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby No'Vak » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Thorondor wrote:Personally, I say go with a bow & arrows. But that's not one of the choices. Either way you're going to be support. If you're going to be moving a lot, go with 2 class 1s...if you're going to be stationary go with a class 2...

I don't know if I agree with that a whole lot. I've seen a lot of people have a lot of fun with a small red running around a lot.

Do both. Figure out which is funner.

And build a shield. Use that too.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Thorondor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Sure, you can run around with a min-red, but you're defeating the purpose of a red support person. Red support is there to destroy shields so the rest of the line can take out the players. With dual weapons, your whole purpose is to pick off the people who are (1) unaware that you're there or (2) dazed from being run over by a shield man or (3) busy with a shield man and unable to block 3 weapons at once.

But those are all just opinions, figure out what you enjoy the best and go with it. And yes, build a shield and use it...will let you know how to defeat shield users better. :)
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby No'Vak » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Didn't say min red. Small red. 4-6' is what I consider a small red.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:32 am

IMO, most people that fight with a red or a spear are less of an asset to their team than they would be if they fought sword and board or florentine. The truly effective red/spear fighters are either absolute renegade psycho killers, relying on speed and shock/awe tactics to cause damage, or they're surgeons on the battlefield, able to pick the precise moment and angle to start killing or jam up a wall.

Both flavors of effective red/spear fighting take experience and a mindset that most fighters lack.

Get good with a sword before you decide to branch out into more niche styles.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby No'Vak » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Giggles wrote:Truth.

Yeah..
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 am

Giggles wrote:IMO, most people that fight with a red or a spear are less of an asset to their team than they would be if they fought sword and board or florentine. The truly effective red/spear fighters are either absolute renegade psycho killers, relying on speed and shock/awe tactics to cause damage, or they're surgeons on the battlefield, able to pick the precise moment and angle to start killing or jam up a wall.

Both flavors of effective red/spear fighting take experience and a mindset that most fighters lack.

Get good with a sword before you decide to branch out into more niche styles.

A red/spear fighter depends a lot more on the skill of the people around him to be effective. You put the right 2 shield men with a spear between them and they will DESTROY the opponents line. But the shieldmen have to be focused on keeping that spear alive, and the spear has to be focused on communicating with the shieldmen. But a spear/red with no support from his line will be much, much less effective.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra