Theories on what weapon i should use?

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Theories on what weapon i should use?

Postby Thelostone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Im a relatively big guy, 6'6 bout 280, and using a shield feels really over powered to me, seems like i never really get stopped, the only time i ever get downed is by someone really quick with a dagger, or someone getting behind me.. But for someone my size I am relatively quick on my feet and generally good with a sword.. But the way that most people where i live use short swords, unless they are dual wielding or have a shield is to keep it even with their foot and stand side ways so that the sword is covering a good bit of their body, this works well for many people but having broken my wrists and 3 fingers on my main hand and my wrist and my thumb on my left using that much of my wrist causes a lot of pain so with the sword i have currently been using, bit shorter than a hand and a half but its the closest thing i can think of, i have been standing diagonal from the opponent, not completely sideways, with the sword posed to be used with both hands, the only qualms i have been having with this is my right shoulder seems to be left open a good bit. And while i can guard it with the hilt, it leads to a secondary hit to the stomach.. Like i said im really new, slightly aggressive, and not defensive enough for a shield. Any suggestions? I was thinking shoulder armor + kind of large buckler covering left arm + a hand an a half sword? Opinions please?
Thelostone
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Mar 2010

Re: Theories on what weapon i should use?

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Thelostone wrote:Im a relatively big guy, 6'6 bout 280, and using a shield feels really over powered to me, seems like i never really get stopped, the only time i ever get downed is by someone really quick with a dagger, or someone getting behind me.. But for someone my size I am relatively quick on my feet and generally good with a sword.. But the way that most people where i live use short swords, unless they are dual wielding or have a shield is to keep it even with their foot and stand side ways so that the sword is covering a good bit of their body, this works well for many people but having broken my wrists and 3 fingers on my main hand and my wrist and my thumb on my left using that much of my wrist causes a lot of pain so with the sword i have currently been using, bit shorter than a hand and a half but its the closest thing i can think of, i have been standing diagonal from the opponent, not completely sideways, with the sword posed to be used with both hands, the only qualms i have been having with this is my right shoulder seems to be left open a good bit. And while i can guard it with the hilt, it leads to a secondary hit to the stomach.. Like i said im really new, slightly aggressive, and not defensive enough for a shield. Any suggestions? I was thinking shoulder armor + kind of large buckler covering left arm + a hand an a half sword? Opinions please?

Where do you live?
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Thelostone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Auburn Alabama
Thelostone
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Mar 2010

Postby bo1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:09 am

good to have you here.

now i will try and save you some troubles, so please dont take this personal. we have all heard about a guy that is amazing and great at fighting. but until you come to SW, opener, Geddon, Fest, EQ, Chaos, Beltaine, and such you are an unknown comodity. we have heard it a thousand times about how so and so is amazing at rocking the local practice, and that is great, but until you fight the best, you might just be in a small realm. so a bit of humbleness goes a long way.

ok that is done now, we can go forward and onto what you were asking. if i understand you correctly, you are looking into a min red with buckler. using armor to make up for gertting hit is a problem. it will teach you to cover what is getting hit with leather, not stop getting hit. if you are getting hit in the stomach, odds are your gaurd is too high or moving all around. try keeping your hands in front of you, not letting your hands drift outside of your nipples or hips. you should be able to swing from there and get red shots off without leaving.

reds are an aggressive style, so being aggressive will work. practice what shots from what bloacks are open. do some slow work with a friend, have them trow a shot and hold the final position. work out a block with a good return shot for it. do this for the basic 12 shots. once you have good answers for those shots adds are you will do very well.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby NessiePop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 am

Thelostone, were you at the day event on the 17th?
War Chief of Clan McClung
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 18 Jul 2010
Realm: Crimson Fields
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blatant Lies

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 pm

I would estimate that you're MORE likely to break your hands fighting red than blue and board.

Learn to fight lefty.

Also, if you are going to fight "hand and a half", get a 49" 26 oz sword with a stabbing tip.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Samhain Crawford » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 am

Thelostone wrote:But the way that most people where i live use short swords... is to keep it even with their foot and stand side ways so that the sword is covering a good bit of their body... i have been standing diagonal from the opponent, not completely sideways, with the sword posed to be used with both hands, the only qualms i have been having with this is my right shoulder seems to be left open a good bit. And while i can guard it with the hilt, it leads to a secondary hit to the stomach..

I'm a little bit confused about what it is you're describing here. Is that first part a description of local Hand and a Half Sword fighting? If so Are your feet parallel or perpindicular (like an "L")? If it is an "L," and you are "standing sideways" to your opponent (in other words with one shoulder pointed at them), then yes, those two shots will be a problem. (Actually, those two shots together are almost unblockable for a single sword user if done skillfully, but they are even worse when you are standing the way we, or at least I, have described because that lead shoulder is the only "open" spot visible.) What you can do about it are a couple of things. First, don't try to block the shoulder shot with your hilt: doing it that way crosses your body up all funky, denying any ability to riposte or get to the next block. Instead try to block with your blade. Dip the tip of the sword down and to the side, underneath their blade. You should encounter their blade very near to your shoulder, and your left elbow should be much higher than your right. Continue the arc into an attack at their sword arm/shoulder. This can act as both an attack and a block. Another option is to use range and quick feet to stay far enough away from your opponent that he cannot take those targets. Another option is to try adding parallel footed, open shouldered (directly facing you opponent) stances into your repertoire. This might make you feel more vulnerable to getting hit elsewhere, but your right shoulder will not look like the only target anymore. You can also generate more power from this stance without shifting your weight, and it opens up more offensive options for you.
Oh. And listen to Bo.
Last edited by Samhain Crawford on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby Arrakis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:12 am

Samhain Crawford wrote:If it is an "L," and you are "standing sideways" to your opponent (in other words with one shoulder pointed at them), then yes, those two shots will be a problem. (Actually, those two shots together are almost unblockable against a single sword user if done skillfully, but they are even worse when you are standing the way we, or at least I, have described because that lead shoulder is the only "open" spot visible.)

What? I can block cross-body combos all day single sword. Like, single 32" sword. Doing the same the minired is just as or even easier.
Arrakis

Postby Titan G » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 am

come to beltaine. i'll spar with you a bit we'll see where your at. me and vokor can show you some tricks with that shield.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Samhain Crawford » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Arrakis wrote:What? I can block cross-body combos all day single sword. Like, single 32" sword. Doing the same the minired is just as or even easier.

I didn't say it was impossible, and proceeded to give concrete advice on how to counter this problematic combo. How do you counter it? If it is just block the shots, than either we are thinking of a different cross body combo, you are simply much faster than me, or your opponents are not throwing it right. Further, if I understood how he was standing correctly, he was making a difficult block much more difficult. Congratulations on your ability to counter this problem, but other than inviting congratulations, what is the point of your response?
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby Titan G » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Thelostone wrote:, and not defensive enough for a shield.
THIS is also a major problem if you are that big. a shield is a blue that does no damage. it is an excuse to beat people up. if you are a big dude using a shield in belegarth then you have no excuse what so ever not to be **** captain america. dudes in your realm like short swords? when they close you punch them so **** hard they get religion and * wrap them at the same time. kids flanking you then you swing your elbow and throw him to the ground with your **** shield. they are padded for a reason. a shield is not defense, a shield is shot set up and pain.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Arrakis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Samhain Crawford wrote:
Arrakis wrote:What? I can block cross-body combos all day single sword. Like, single 32" sword. Doing the same the minired is just as or even easier.

I didn't say it was impossible, and proceeded to give concrete advice on how to counter this problematic combo. How do you counter it? If it is just block the shots, than either we are thinking of a different cross body combo, you are simply much faster than me, or your opponents are not throwing it right. Further, if I understood how he was standing correctly, he was making a difficult block much more difficult. Congratulations on your ability to counter this problem, but other than inviting congratulations, what is the point of your response?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. By "What?" I was asking "What do you mean; this is unclear to me" and the rest of the post went on to explain why your statement was unclear in my mind.

If you keep your hands in your box (hip width, hip bone to nipples, essentially) and turn your body/hips a little, you can block basically anything with some part of your weapon, pommel to tip (foible, really). It's simply a matter of playing the angles. Work it with a partner, or something, and it'll quickly become clear what I'm talking about. It's really classic stuff from, like, Talhoffer and other historical fencing masters, actually.
Arrakis

Postby bo1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:49 am

lol, explaining fencing to samhain. i am going to go out on a limb here, he is aware of basic fencing techniques.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Slagar » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:03 am

I mean, I know samhain knows his stuff. We have met, a time or ten. But I can't parse what he wrote in any way that makes it make sense. Cross body combos are, as far as I can tell, bread and butter, both to throw and to block. The sterotypical 'nintendo' combo, even. I also know he doesn't throw that, more or less ever, so I'm not sure what the hell he actually meant.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby bo1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:05 pm

he was probibly recreating while typing. getting hammer ed and jumping on the keyboard is a fun hobby from time to time. but it does tend to confuse the masses.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Arrakis » Sun May 01, 2011 10:31 am

bo1 wrote:confuse the masses.

*massively confused*

Mission Accomplished.
Arrakis

Postby Druss RVNS » Sun May 01, 2011 5:07 pm

I didn't even read all of this thread. I read up to the point of this person saying they were from my field. Who are you? Cause I GOTTA know.

-Druss
We are Ravenous
Druss RVNS
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Southern Marches
Unit: RVNS
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Sword, Red Sword, Flo

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training