NW training classes

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

NW training classes

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm going to be laying down some knowledge at our Pacific Northwest Training Day.
It's a great idea, and one that will gain steam over time, but for the first one it seems like we have pretty good roster of teachers teaching a variety of styles/systems and technique.
So I guess I'm teaching Min.red-Red/flo/single blue basic/beginner classes.
I have been working on exhibiting brevity, cultivating reticence and such, as I've a penchant for rambling in a superfluous manner.
But no one is a natural teacher, you need to learn how to teach.
So I'm going to be try to get some basic core elements down, with three topics per subject just to get people focused on the basic, core concepts of each style. I'm worried that I will bog folk down with lenghty debates and such, hence the brevity.
Anyway, here's a loose idea on the class syllabus if you will.

I am think about working down from red, to min red, to flo to single blue.

So I am going to focus on using a red as a support weapon. Physcological intimidation while using such a big weapon. The importance of aggression and then show them a couple of moves(murder strike, brush&crush, pole-vaulting ninja kicks...) I'll move down to min red and just give them my thoughts on the style, focus on footwork, stabs, aggression, using your opponent's shield against you.

Flo I am going to focus on footwork, aggression, rangecontrol and show 'em a couple of combos/moves that I use(pocket stabs, * stabs, shoulder drops and such)

Single blue I'm going to focus on six-inch steps(Ie kendo and every other martial art out there), hand-
matching, basic strategy and show them some feints and baits. I will also be teaching/drilling blockstrike, slow/flow fighting and ABA/BAB drills.

Remember these are basic, beginner classes aimed at getting new blood(newbies) up to speed.
I am that kinda guy who has no compunction against telling newbs that they are doing things wrong, and I'm working on my delivery in doing so("well, that's cool, but maybe try it this way also" vs. "Stop. Just stop doing that, it's wrong and you're emberassing yourself.")

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Re: NW training classes

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Oh and before anyone starts waxing apologetic on hurting my supposed feelings realize I'm a big boy and I can take criticism. I've been working as a professional cook since I was 15 and anything you say can't compare to being taken out behind a restaraunt and beaten with a hose because I messed someone's pickled chantrelle/roasted garlic/beef tenderloin and heart tartar. So fire away!
I expect Slagar and Mel to chime in pronto, so be a dear boys, and help a brother out.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Kyrian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm pretty retentive about planning my classes as I always start out with an lesson plan/outline of what I want to teach. Here's an example of the outline I used for a class for the twelve basic shots:

12-shot system

I. Training objectives
a. Introduce the 12 shots: 6 chops, 3 wraps, 3 stabs
b. Go over proper form for each type
c. Discuss the effective range of each type
d. Using the numbers to develop drills and combos

II. Twelve shots (or is it angles?)
a. #1-6 chops
b. #7-9 wraps
c. #10-12 stabs
d. Shots as a function of range
e. Using numbers for drills and combos

Demonstrate the numbers, will go over in detail

III. Chops
a. Try not to telegraph-body mechanics help you to avoid tells
b. Angles
c. Pair up and practice-use the numbers
d. Review

IV. Wraps
a. Go over numbers
b. Keep the arm relaxed
c. Don’t rely simply on your upper-body strength
d. Don’t push with the elbow or the shoulder—they transmit the power
e. Power comes from the hips and lower body
f. Movement is somewhat similar to a whip
g. Don’t lock your elbow
h. Starts out as a regular shot, but has wrist rotation at the end
i. If your wrist is strong enough, add a little “snap” at the end
j. Goes around linear objects such as shields
k. Spend a lot of time developing proper form
l. High wrap is like a tennis serve
m. Review

V. Stabs
a. Go over numbers
b. Point control-vertical for pocket, and J
c. Don’t linger
d. Fastest way to close range
e. Stab angle as a function of arm rotation-Illustrate the circle
f. Show pocket stab target
g. J-hook
h. Darkside-not showing it on shield side since shield in the way
i. Review

VI. Shots as a function of range
a. Wraps have shortest effective range-close in; ineffective at long range, can be used at medium range but easier to block; may incorporate movement to effective range or step for power
b. Chops are middle-range,
1. Can be used at close range but easier to block
2. Good for transitioning between ranges
c. Stabs have longest range
1. Cover distance very quickly
2. Hardest to use at close range, can’t bring arm back enough
3. Can be effective at medium range, integrate with chops or wraps
d. Drill-pair up, position where you think you can hit effectively with type of shot, take the shot
e. Review

VII. Developing combos and drills using the numbers
a. Developing your muscle memory and showing how certain shots can link together efficiently.
b. Rhythmic and slow at first-Practice as fast as you can, not as you can’t
c. Two-shot combos-illustrate
d. Point out that some combos naturally feel right based on body mechanics, others are awkward
e. Practice with partner—call out numbers and execute, switching back and forth
f. Three-shot combos-illustrate
g. Practice with partner—call out numbers and execute, switching back and forth
h. Incorporating footwork for advanced drills-touch on, changing speed of shots
i. Review

VIII. Wrap up

a. Discussed the 12 different shots
1. #1-6 chops
2. #7-9 wraps
3. #10-12 stabs
b. Range discussion
c. Developing combos and drills utilizing the numbers
d. Q & A

As you can see from the outline, I try to start out with the objectives of the class, break the material into small chunks with a review after each chunk, and then a summary at the end.

The Warlord Sports website isn't up any more but I remember reading an interesting article about teaching adults. The main things it emphasized is that you should:

1) Teach the concept. Explain the how and why of the concept but don't drag this out too long or you'll start to lose your audience.
2) Demonstrate the concept. Do this in slow motion and eventually at combat speed.
3) Have the students apply the concept. If your class is geared towards new fighters, pay special attention to your students' form. I've found this to be critical especially for teach proper wrap form. Point out things that they should do and things to avoid. Try to observe all of your students individually at some point.

Ideally, the practical application of the concepts should take as long or longer than the teaching and demonstration but keep an eye out that it's not dragging and that your students aren't starting to get bored or distracted.

Whenever I teach, I usually start with a disclaimer that states: This is what works for me or it's what I've picked up along the way. What I teach may not necessarily work for you for any number of reasons, i.e., different hand speed, height, body type, etc. or it may conflict with something someone else has taught you. Take what I'm teaching and figure out if it works for you.

Be prepared to adapt and change your lesson plan. On several occasions, I've had to modify, change, or outright leave out some information during a class. It's pretty situation-dependent but the main factors are that some things end up taking too long, a person asks a question that sends us on a bit of a tangent, or something comes up that means you're going to have to shorten the class.

If you get a chance, rehearse your class and have people give you feedback. The better you know your material, the better you'll be able to convey it to your students.

Have notes of some variety. I use my lesson plan which means that I end up referencing it often during a class. You could also prepare note cards if that works for you too. What I've found is that I often need to spend at least a 2:1 ratio of time preparing to time presenting. If my class is going to take a half hour, then I'm probably going to need at least an hour of prep time. I prefer using notes so that I don't forget things that I want to emphasize during the class.

If you can, have some assistant instructors especially if you're teaching a large number of people. Make sure they understand the concepts you're teaching and understand what to look for.

If you'd like to see the class outlines I did for Chaos this year, let me know. I have them on Google docs and I'd be more than happy to share them with you. I realize that the outline format may seem like an excessive amount of work but I've always gone by the idea that if I'm going to teach, I start by setting up the framework to build the concepts on and then I fill in on the framework, taking care to build and apply the concepts discussed earlier in the class; the outline helps me to collect my thoughts and to organize them.

Hope this helps.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:46 am

That's gonna help a lot, I appreciate the advice; if you'd be willing to send me the docs, I'd be all the more grateful to you!

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Kyrian » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:18 am

"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Arrakis » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Go the other way; single should be your foundation for everything else, I think.

Also, note basic guards and stances and why they are what they are/the philosophical principles they cleave to (i.e., denials close down areas so you don't have to think about them, baits invite a predictable opening and predictable is dead, etc.).
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training