Ways to stop crossing as much...

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ways to stop crossing as much...

Postby SnoJoo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 pm

So I'm trying to step my fighting skill up a notch and my current focus is not crossing as much. Not to say that I'm "not crossing at all," but only with purpose. However, I find myself doing it more often than I intend to. Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep telling myself to not throw a cross or at least keep it in my thought process before throwing a shot? Thanks in advance.
SnoJoo
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Feb 2007
Realm: Albion
Unit: Ravenous
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B/ Red/ Flo.

Re: Ways to stop crossing as much...

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Throw your shots with intention. When you aim small, you miss small. When fighting, don't think "I'm gonna swing for their sword side", think: "I'm going to swing for 2 inches under their elbow on their sword side arm by dropping a slot shot between their shield and their weapon." That kind of intentional shot may not hit right where you want, but I bet you'll be somewhere within 6 inches of your target.

If you look at fighters such as Sir Bo, you're going to find they employ similar techniques, and for good reason; control and skill progression are synonymous. Practice on a punching bag or a pell, if you find you can't think that quick in combat yet, or have a partner spar you and call out specific targets and have you slowly aim and strike.

When I decided to break myself of high-crossing, I intentionally told myself "you will not throw that shot", and really that's the only way to do it. Take control of your shot placement, and everything else will fall into place.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Kyrian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm

One of the most painful ways to do this is to immediately call yourself dead as soon as you throw the high cross. It forces you to be aware of what you're throwing and to impose a harsh punishment for throwing it. Once you stop constantly doing that (and you will), you can take a step back and start looking how you can incorporate the high cross into your fighting repertoire without using it so much.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Dane » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Learn other ways to kill people. Most people who live and die by the cross don't know how to do much else.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby SnoJoo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm

* Thurat: I like what your saying about the "specificness" of shots thrown. I'm pretty sure that I am going to start trying to work that into practices that I make it to.

* Kyrian: That is a pretty good one. I know myself and plenty of other people have done that for headshots when we start throwing them to often.

* Dane: I can't even describe the degree of truth in that haha. I know exactly what you mean and that is why I'm trying to break the habit.

Thanks for all the input guys. I love learning new stuff so tips are tricks are always appreciated.
SnoJoo
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Brutus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Why do you want to stop crossing so much? Are you dying when you throw the cross? Is it no longer effective? If the answer to either of these is "yes" then maybe you should look at why it isn't working for you. Are you throwing it when the shot is not really open, simply because you don't have a better shot?

There are some good setups you can work in that really enhance the effectiveness of the cross. You can swing low (under the shield, with palm facing up), then turn your hand over (palm down) and turn the shot into a cross. Alternatively, you can throw 2 or 3 shoulder-drops in a row, then use the front edge of your shield to "open" their shield (just reach out and pry open their shield) and drop the cross into the opening.

Every shot should have a setup, unless the shot itself is the setup.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby SnoJoo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Well this past Sunday we had a small day event and I found myself not throwing it as much and when I did throw it, 80% of the time it was with a purpose and was effective. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried all of them at least once, finding that thinking the fight through constantly and thoroughly was the best option for me. The other suggestions are good as well, but since my head game can keep up I think I will be sticking with that. Thanks again.
SnoJoo
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

throw the cross all day everyday
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Caleidah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 am

Remy the Wroth wrote:throw the cross all day everyday

How long did it take your shoulder to heal?
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Wrist/elbow, actually, and something like three-ish years.
My shoulder was from getting shield-checked from behind, that took another three years to heal.
Can we please make it illegal for shield bashing/checking from the rear quandrant already? That **** is so stupid.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Reverend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Remy the Wroth wrote:Wrist/elbow, actually, and something like three-ish years.
My shoulder was from getting shield-checked from behind, that took another three years to heal.
Can we please make it illegal for shield bashing/checking from the rear quandrant already? That **** is so stupid.

Not sure if sarcasm...
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I am going with yes, but for any noob who thinks otherwise:

3.5.4.3. A person may not Bash, Check or Shield Kick an opponent's rear quadrant. Shield pushing or incidental contact in an opponent's rear quadrant is allowed.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Furple » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 am

I'm going to guess you mean with a shield throwing high cross too much. If that's the case the advice I would give you, is learn to move their shield. You can pretty safely pick a person's shoulder by getting a down punch on the bottom of their shield. You can also usually get a wrap with stepping past or exposing yourself by tapping the inside (towards the sword arm) of their shield and then throwing a wrap to the outside.
- Blademaster Rift (formerly of chamonix)
-- webmaster for sword at UCI / Anduril
Furple
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Anduril
Unit: Blades
Favorite Fighting Styles: Primarily florentine. (reds, polearms, archery and sword board on occasion).

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 am

Find a person to spar with. Every time you throw the high cross, stop, raise your arm, and let them punch you in the armpit with your shield. That will make you stop really quick.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training