Most effective ways to teach fighting

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Most effective ways to teach fighting

Postby Kyrian » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:39 pm

What are the most effective techniques you've found when someone is training you or when you're attending a fighting class?

I usually teach by "teach, show, do" where I try to explain the technique as well as the positives and negatives, demonstrate the technique, and then have everyone break out to work on the technique. After giving everyone a few minutes to practice, I pull everyone back in to review and answer questions and then move on to the next topic.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Most effective ways to teach fighting

Postby Orokusan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Having a lesson plan and keeping things the same as you teach seem to help. Build on a base and keep revisiting the basics. Be able to answer the "why" to the best of your ability and avoid the "Do this this and this, got it? Good" syndrome. There is a difference between showing someone something and teaching them something. Both have a place, be aware of it.
Sir Oroku Norinaga, KBMC, OGO
Tertiary Knight of the High Code
"You do not have to be a squire to start learning to be a knight. Take your time and make good decisions."-Uric
Orokusan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 18 May 2005
Realm: Sygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Florentine, Spear

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm

I tend to do more or less what you already described, Kyrian: explain, demonstrate (these two are often combined as I'll talk about it while showing it in slow-mo), practice, then review. The review part works best when you're explaining a series of things, in my opinion, that way you can be more certain that people have retained what you taught them, and it will help them form connections more easily.

That also seems to be more or less how I learn new things about fighting, or at least how I learn them most readily.
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Postby Reverend » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:08 am

My format is fairly similar to the one you outlined, Kyrian. Teach, show, do. But, I mix in a bit of explanation as to the why, not just the how. I like to add in peripheral information that relates to what is being taught, but might not be perfectly applicable. E.G. talk about mentality/aggression/thought process while showing.

I know I could refine my method quite a bit, but it's hard to break years of habit.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Elias Riverdagger » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:45 am

Use the EDGE method:
E-explain
D-demonstrate
G-guide
E-enable/empower
--